LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone afraid to drive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone afraid to drive?
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This dang disease, it's taken me off the road quite a bit. Last summer I spent 6 weeks not driving when first diagnosed. I was forgetting the rules of traffic, you know left on red, etc.

Then a relapse in January, again, no driving. I went back on orals and rebounded a bit. I was driving but not feeling up to it and driving home from a long trip, my husband was in the car behind and told me that he was concerned about my driving.

Now I started IV one week ago and driving seems out of the question. I live in a rural area so this is very limiting. I have 2 professional appointments next week and I really hope I can drive.

In addition to remembering rules of the road, I have trouple with focussing my eyes and moving them from one place to another. It feels like I'm stuck staring at things.

Am I going to be unable to drive permanently? I guess I should be happy about my carbon impact going down. But seriously, even getting to the bank or post office has taken on a whole new meaning. Shopping was out for me long ago because of the overstimulation.

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I stopped driving even before my diagnosis because I was constantly forgetting how to get places I had been going on a regular basis and should have been able to do blindfolded.

Got lost getting home from the grocery store, going to my sisters, getting to my doctors, the list went on and on and some of the things cars were honking at me over, were NOT good.

For awhile, I was feeling more coherient and saying, "I can do this", but now relapsing again and being able to even admit to yourself that you probably shouldn't be on the road is a VERY VERY hard pill to swollow.

When you live in the country like we do, we NEED cars since there is no place to walk to get any chores accomplished, no public transportation and we are really left in the cold. My husband drives me to all of my doctor appointments and you begin to feel like a hermit with no purpose.

It's a lot of mind games as you lose your independence, but I do know that with treatment, you will have your ups and downs and I do think you start to get a feel for when you may be safe on the roads and then other times when you KNOW you are "off" and shouldn't be there.

As I said, the hardest part is admitting it, since none of us want to feel unable to do these things we use to take for granted.

Good luck to both of us and hopefully this IV is going to knock you back into a place in life that will be more independant. Looks like that will be my path next too after 19 months of orals.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more like Cathy, I had no trouble with the mechanics of driving, I'd just get lost. I wouldn't recognize where I was. My hubby had me always take one of the kids with me to remind me.

Only one time did I ever feel unsafe. Fortunately it was only that once.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I can relate to this.

We also live in a rural area.

We have lived in this town over 18 years,
and I have moments when driving when nothing
looks familiar.

I have forgotten the rules too, but thank God
this hasn't happened in a while. I would stop
on green, luckily never went on red!

I think I have an angel who travels with me, b/c
I honestly don't know how I manage the drive
to the llmd and pt (both are over an hour away).

Our oldest is going out of state to college in
August. Seven hours away, and I know that I
can't make it there unless someone drives me.
I just hate being dependant on anyone.

We used to miss events after school, b/c I was
afraid to drive with the children.

Now that they are older, they are great reminders
of where we are supposed to be going. If I
make a wrong turn they will set me straight.

I have a sister in a more suburban town (1 1/2 hours away) who has a grocery store that delivers. Her pharmacy delivers too. Here we
are in this rural setting and no one delivers.
On good days I try to get as many errands done
as possible. Then end up overdoing it and paying
the price.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't driven in years due to my Lyme-caused derealization. I always thought it was anxiety. I drive only when absolutely necessary.

Wishing you well. Mazou

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't driven since October 2007 when I was on a 4 1/2 hour drive and became spacy,spatially challenged etc. It felt like my car was a carnival ride.

I probably could drive some days, but why put others at risk when I never know when a "spell" is going to come over me.....lately my spells have been pretty constant.

The stimulus of stores is also out for me. I can manage a small boutique/shop but nothing more.

I depend on someone else for all of my transportation.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has never been able to drive
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was like this when i first got sick. I would say my eyes would get fixed on things. When i would be stopped it felt like i was still moving.

Had terrible car sickness as a passenger, i would get chest pressure and breathing problems.

When i drove i felt like i was free falling, much like you feel when riding a bike down a steep hill. I couldnt feel the pedal, my leg was numb.

Somehow after taking doxy, cedax or difflucan I was able to drive.

things are better now, but I get confused easily.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! I have always been scared of driving. Never liked it. Too much to pay attention to at once. Sense of direction never been good.

So ever since I got my license I've tried to avoid driving as much as possible. Pretty much stick to a 5 block radius from the house and an occasional trip to a town 15min away that I used to live in, so I know the main streets).

The last year or two it's gotten worse and worse and in the last 2-3mo it's gotten so bad I'm scared of driving even the 2 blocks to church.

Vision is an issue, of course, but too so is lack of strength to keep the brake on as long as necessary at stop-signs or red lights.

Also the whole brain thing is way worse. A few weeks ago I caught myself about to put the van into reverse so that we could turn right!

I knew I needed to do something with the things on the side of the steering wheel... I just picked the wrong side and used the gearshift instead of the turn signal!

I can't take or follow directions, I forget where I'm going, what the rules are, what I'm supposed to do when, how to get wherever, etc.

I hate driving, but I just got a new van that is so nice and I love it and actually kinda like driving *it*, and now I'm wondering if I need to just put my license up completely. I'll miss using my cushy van. =(

Dr told me yesterday he hoped I was limiting my driving. lol Ummm, yeah, to as little as absolutely possible.

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had looked forward to teaching my sons to drive, but when the time came, I left it to my husband.

Sometimes I have difficulty expressing myself, and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to speak accurately in an emergency.

If I want to give directions on how to do something, I have to think it out beforehand, as I can't plan what I'm going to say and speak at the same time.

Used to be, I could start a sentence, and pull up the right words as I went along.
Not anymore.

Several times when driving, I'd approach an intersection, saying to myself....the light is green, that means go...right?

Sigh....

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobidor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobidor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realized it was no longer safe for me (and others!!) to drive the day I stepped on the gas pedal instead of the brakes. [shake]

Even as a pedestrian I would get confused and not cross a street at a green light and start crossing when the light turned red!

I must have a guardian angel watching over me...

Julie

Posts: 209 | From Montreal, QC, CAN | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He should've been driving behind me while I was driving to and from my infusions - or even today.

I've already stepped on the gas to make a left turn, when it was oncoming traffic that had gotten the green

- stopped dead in the middle of the passing (left) lane to make a left turn, cars honking wildly behind me, when there was clearly a sign above me that read 'no turns' - both lanes were required to continue straight

- turned my left turn signal on when I wanted to turn right

- turned the turn signal on to go around a curve when there were no actual turns

- and today I almost left my ATM card in the machine when I'd stopped focusing on the transaction and decided to grab a few more deposit envelopes and leave - the machine started to beep while I was getting in my car.

From the looks of it, I'm going to end up road-kill - either that or poor, although I'm alread poor with no job due to Lyme and electrosensitivity to cell phone masts.

Like you, I have trouble scanning the road. I tend to space, and then later panic when I realize something critical is about to happen.

I also have difficulty remembering even routes I commonly travel. Though they look familiar to me while driving, I couldn't go home and write directions for someone else, telling them that first they'll pass 78, then the bridge, then the KMart, then Wegman's, and so on - or even remember them for myself if only driven once.

Sequence seems to confuse me, and in some ways, I believe it's gotten worse. I usually experience rubber-band like pressure at the base of my skull, or sometimes up near my temples. I also have a persistent "tugging" tension in my lower jaw.

I am convinced that if researchers do not soon respond to my emails, I'm going to end up an Alzheimer's statistic, especially since my teeth turned metallic grey on minocycline, and though I've stopped the mino and gotten my teeth cleaned a week ago, they are already beginning to grey again, even wihout the mino.

http://tinyurl.com/4h33vu

What I find interesting about the above article is that the type of iron occurring is found in an unusual form, and the Bible references something about the coming of Messiah being crushing "like iron". I'd post the scripture, but of course, I can't find it right now.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

well i had problems with driving , but cause I had to drive to my doctor I put my life in jepardy and drove.I was dead already and nobody was beiliving and could help SO I DROVE..while was so disy to even turn my head and see the mirror-imagine I was sitting and felt like this.

It was even scary to switch to the lines.Than I got GPS as I can not trust my brain.And I follow the directions and I drive very slowly and in distance with others.

But there is time as even driving I feel as spacey..and forget where I am going.But is not severe as 6 months ago.I was herxing my brain out and had to drive 45 minutes go and come back from my LLMD.Since have the GPS at least I know that I will find the way back home.

BUt driving is not fun anymore...when 3 years ago I would fly in the street !

My son is concerned as he said "I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DRIVE".When he was litle you could not lie to him if you were going someplace else as he knew all the way to someplace !

Now he asks "ARE you sure we will be back home " I can not remember.That is horrible have a child to feel that same way !But the kids are honest and they say every thing as we addults try to play as EVERYTHING IS NORMAL"

InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been able to drive for 3 years. Though, my reason is different from most of you. I can't judge the distance to other cars - something wrong with my depth perception.

The opthalmologist says my eyes don't play well together, which is why I can't tell the distance to a moving object. Or, even if I'm moving, I can't tell the distance to a wall without touching it.

I'll know I'm safe to drive again when this clears up, and I stop panicking when my husband merges or passes another car.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I've had problems with depth perception on occasion, too, and now that you mention it, it has happened while driving.

Initially I thought it was limited to walking down my porch steps. I would go to step from the last step to the concrete, and since the concrete appeared further away than it actually was, I nearly fell and twisted my ankle a few times.

So maybe this has happened while driving, too, because it will appear to me that the car, stop sign, traffic light, my turn - whatever - is farther away than it actually is, and when I finally realize it isn't, I do something stupid, almost crash - and always panic.

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it was part of the reason I quit driving
15 yrs ago--

I knew I was not safe and did not want to
hurt someone because I was sick-

Majority of reason I quit driving was because
of global warming --
I did not want to be part of it -

The warming Info was clear to those
people paying attention even 15 yrs ago -- Jay -

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some days I can drive, some days I can't. Fortunately, I'm aware enough (most days) to be able to tell the difference.

The scariest thing to happen to me while driving was a kind of disassociation.

I saw the other vehicles on the road, but had difficulty identifying them as such. They didn't seem anymore relevant (or dangerous) than trees on the side of the road. [Eek!]

It scared the bejeebers outta me! That kept me from getting behind the wheel for 2 weeks. Fortunately, that hasn't happened again.

I try to combine trips so I don't have to leave the house as often. Better on gas that way too, since we live out in the boonies too and nothing is all that "local".

Usually have to allow myself an extra 1/2 hour to an hour for all the missed turns, wrong turns, backtracking, etc.

I haven't gotten lost in familiar places in awhile. Used to get lost going to the grocery store, dr's office, etc. Discovered some lovely new neighborhoods that way. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I have a really hard time driving. Ever since I started flagyl, it's been really hard.

I used to drive all the time, but now I really try to drive as little as possible.

Like lots of people have said, it's like cars are just "there" and not really cars. I almost was hit the other day, and I just thought "oh well." There was NO concern.

It's scary...very scary.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for responding. It's good to know I'm not alone.

It's amazing: living in a rural area I would have said driving is necessary, but lo and behold, I haven't driven in 16 days. I wish that gas money was enough to pay for my rocephin.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who couldn't drive, got better and can drive again.

Here's hoping. . .

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had issues driving too though I don't have an official Dx. Mainly due to neck tightness.

It's so scary to read all these posts about individuals never recovering / improving. [Frown]

I don't see how one can function and get things they need done w/o driving. I guess if you have a lot of resoruces, it is possible (friends, family, etc.).

For me, long-term, this is such a frustrating thought!

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

When I was getting sick with lyme in Highschool and didn't know it was lyme at the time, I would have to leave school alot during the day because I just couldn't handle sitting in a class room with a killer headache, upset stomach, fatique, and general pain.

I would still drive home and I would drive home pretty fast and not worry about the cops [Smile] I could get home pretty quick,  -
I miss my good highschool days and my car.

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a new toyota when I came down sick.

Then went to no car.

I was OK with selling it as I not only could no longer afford it but wasn't so sure I should be behind the wheel.

Several years later, a friend donated her 93 nissan pathfindier to me.

It sat in the parking lot for a while. But, now, I drive it just about every day and am so thankful for it.

I don't go far but it is enough to keep me from going crazy being housebound.

And it is nice to know that if I do run out of food or need something I have the independence to go and get it.

And I usually travel early in the am when there is little to no one on the roads.

I also take the backroads.

I had that not knowing where i was when I first came down sick.

I would pull over until the brain clicked back in.

But, it also would happen when I was in the power chair.

I am sure it would happen again if I did not stay within my limits and listen to my body and brain now.

Still have trouble but am doing better.

I tried provigil before I was dx and started treatment. That seemed to help at times and other times did not.

I also took excedrin and coffee to help me.

Still do if I am planning on traveling...on a train or as a passenger.

I guess the key is to find things that help you and also to try and find out what your limits are and stay within them.

I also will stay down for several days before making a trip.

Last time I thought I was going to be OK so did not do this and then was not able to travel as a passenger to see my lyme doc.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

YOGA FOR YOUR EYES - the DVD is about $30.

Just copy and paste this at Google: "Yoga for your eyes"

www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Get an idea about it at You Tube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViOh0YWXSfg

There are many other You Tube videos here, too.

This program is based on the book by William H. Bates, M.D. in his book: Better Eyesight without glasses 1940, first printing . . . the 17th printing from 1967 is the volume I have. It was very popular - I even had this training as a child and forgot all about it until a few years ago.

Even if you wear glasses and want to continue, this program - or training such as is mentioned below - can help tremendously (as part of an overall lyme recovery plan).

---

In addition, Tai Chi (or Qi Gong) can help in so many ways I can't begin to describe.

You might even find an instructor and get a group of friends together. Check out community centers for classes - and ask for someone to "share a ride" so that you can really relax.

---

And - see if you can get an appointment with a neurotologist.

Vestibular training (and balance training) might be able to help.

The inner ear/ middle ear have a great deal to do with vision and the ability to move from one object to another.

VESTIBULAR DISORDERS ASSOCIATION

www.vestibular.org

---

ADRENAL support can also be of help.

-

[ 22. June 2008, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement