LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP! A quick disability question. Have to fill papers out today!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! A quick disability question. Have to fill papers out today!
Minnie Mouse
Member # 13642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minnie Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. A friend is helping me file for disability. The papers are mostly filled out but before we send them in I thought I would get your opinions since you've been there and done that.

1/ Is it good to go into major detail explaining physical symptoms for all the questions?

Or should I just say I can only stand so long. Should I say what happens if I stand too long, etc......

2/ Do they give me a month from the date I receive them to send them back?

3/ i read a little about some of the additional testing you guys had run. Was that after you sent in the initial questionaires?

I'm sure I will come up with more questions as I go..

I applied several years ago before my lyme diagnosis and was denied.

I have been physically and mentally unable to do this on my own again so I'm really thankful that my roomate is helping me....

Thanks so much for your input.

[ 26. June 2008, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Minnie Mouse ]

Posts: 59 | From U.S. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minnie Mouse
Member # 13642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minnie Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, but need to bump this... I really hope someone has some input.
Posts: 59 | From U.S. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cameronb
Member # 12240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cameronb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are these disability forms through a certain insurance company? My advice would be to call your employer and get the FULL copy of the policy sent to you (as well as the exact due dates). That helped me immensely in filling out the forms. You never know what they are looking for or what violates their policy.

My mother had a live person come to interview her to see if she qualified for disability. Have you had anyone come to meet you? (She qualified with lyme disease as her stated illness, by the way.)

Posts: 52 | From Atlanta, Ga | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minnie Mouse
Member # 13642

I'm filing for SSI through the state.

My roomate is kind enough to help me with this as I can't do it myself.

She is keeping it simple by just saying I can't do this or that. I am wondering if I should go into more detail.. I'm thinking they will want to know more details?

It would be nice if I have to apply again if they would come to my house as it's so hard to go out at this point..

Thanks for replying [Smile]

Minnie Mouse
Member # 13642

Thanks so much for your time and the input.

I'm very ill atm, with a high fever. but i wanted to make another inquiry. If this msg is out of hte ordinary, just remember i'm feverish [Razz]

I am getting kinda stressed out in having to tell them how long i can use my hands and other things in detail. I mean I can squeeze a pair of tongs like 3 times and my hand ends up in extreme pain and i have to let it rest before i do it again.

then, i can hold a knife in my hands without pain to cut veggies for several minutes...

heck if i know what that means.

then when driving one of those electric wheelchairs, my thumb starts hurting from pushing that button after a few minutes and i have to rest. seems pathetic to me, but that's besides the point.

it's so hard to know what to say. I don't want things to contradict each other but it depends what i'm doing, and what day it is. some days i can walk around the store for a few minutes. other days i can walk a little faster. But most of the time now i'm in a wheelchair.

what if they have someone follow me and i'm able to walk that day for a few minutes faster than usual... I guess i'm wondering what if they catch me on a rare day that i have a little more strength....

am i worrying too much? Probably. [bonk] [bonk]

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You MUST get a lawyer who specializes in disability to take on your case...paid if you win, not paid if you don't.

This is a MUST.

You will be denied the first time, but when you win, with a lawyer's help...you get "back pay".

It is extremely difficult if not impossible to win without a lawyer.

That is just the way it is.

There ARE lawyers who will take on the case and who will settle for payment only if they win for you.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
minnie,

i'll resend you my newbie package, it's last 25-30 pages of package but my table of contents does NOT LIST anything since i'm NOT DONE! can't get the time with all the help i do here daily for you all!!

look for info about CONNIE MC, and then PRINT OFF ALL THOSE PAGES FROM HER NAME TO END! they are the most IMPORTANT info you need!!

now, why does this need to be done TODAY? call and ask for an EXTENSION! no kidding; the more complete your app is means you COULD BE APPROVED, 1ST TIME, 1ST STEP

IF YOU HAVE GOOD MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION and your primary dr./llmd have complete these forms and their medical dictation files AGREE with the forms completed!

you don't want to go thru 5 yrs. of hell i did on 2 apps!!

yes, you want DETAILS ON EVERYTHING ... but most of all; do you have copies of your DRS. MEDICAL REPORTS FROM YOUR FILES, HOSPITAL REPORTS, ETC.

that really helped my case; took along time but i got complete info that i put together and i talk about in my newbie package ... i did their job for them so they COULD APPROVED ME using their guidelines/rules!!!!

i'm on for another 30-45 minutes, so PM me if you need more as i go to someone's post ONCE DAILY; not more ... not enough time!!!

I'LL SEND YOU NEWBIE PACKAGE NOW!! good luck:)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My disability information was insufficient based on filling out the check boxes on their LTD form.

I ended up going to have a physical therapist do a type of function assessment. The full version is usually used for people rehabilitating for new jobs. But, they did strength and range of motion tests to show that I was significantly weaker than the average person my age.

Additionally, a neuropsych evaluation is extremely helpful if you have cognitive issues.

I needed all this extra for my LTD company because my previous Lyme doctor did not do a great job in keeping records, and he never did these type of tests himself. All of the additional tests were covered by my medical insurance, fortunately.

But they will also support my application to social security. As much as I don't want to pull social security funds, after 3 years of being unable to work, I'm finally just sucking it up and admitting I need more help.

Good luck with your application.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
letters from your doctors stating you are not able to do any job and are totally disabled are very important with SSDI/SSI.

Also, letters from family/friends describing how much your illness affects you and what you were able to do before and what you cannot do now.

Just fill out the application like it is your worst day ever and go from there.

LTD is another story all together and much more difficult to fight/win.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minnie Mouse
Member # 13642

Thanks everyone. So much great information that I will definately use. This is such an overwhelming process but thankfully i have a friend to help and all of your experience and knowledge...

Betty, I will probably be in touch.. Thanks [Smile]

mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Minnie.....

Just my 2 cents....

I filed for disability in November 07...was awarded in April 08..1st time I applied..no lawyer....I heard so many horrible stories about filing..

All of my doctors told me I would be denied the first time .....but they supported me 100%...

lots of paperwork...my husband helped ...
reading and comprehending is difficult for me....

I put down lots of diagnosis...lyme, fibromyalgia,heart,thyriod...neuro stuff...
information on all the doctors...including chiropracter....accupuncturer...pharmacy....lab...hospitals.....

they seem to zero in more on...neuro stuff and depression.....

let me know if you need any more encouragement.......

[hi] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minnie Mouse
Member # 13642

Thanks everyone. I have taken note of everything you said and am going to talk to my doctor about all of it tomorrow...

I had a question but can't think of it atm. shrug. I've spent my brain reading everything so i dont miss anything.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, we all gave you excellent advise based on OUR personal experiences and ONES NOT TO REPEAT!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement