LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I have a babesia question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a babesia question...
creativeguy
Member # 15046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creativeguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Mepron/Biaxin since late March. Prior to that I was having drenching sweats since January. Since starting babs treatment, I've also been having air hunger, heart palps, etc. Every morning I'd wake up with drenched sheets/pillows. I sleep on my right side and I'd sweat so much, I'd have a fluid in my left ear from the sweat trickling in.

At the beginning of June, my sweats really abated to almost nothing and I thought I was improving. But this month has been the most stressful of my life - been waiting on a Long Term Disability decision, have very little money left, my mother died and my six siblings acted horribly with one another during the time of my mom's passing/funeral. A good number of friends turned their back on me as well this month. It's been a terrible month for stress with that and other things. My anxiety has been awful and I get full body jerks from it.

The sweats have increased a lot since the last two weeks. The only thing different really was that I started taking Mepron with Olive Oil instead of a couple pieces of baloney or other fatty food. Now, I feel like I'm back a couple months. I took one artemesia a few days ago - just one Zhang's pill and the next morning, I was more soaked than I had been in a while. Ever since, the sweats have been even worse and the fatigue as well.

So, my babs questions are:

1. Can babesia have periods of herxes and waning? Can the sweats go up and down?

2. Do people think the increased sweats are a sign of getting worse or herxing and thus getting better?

3. I know there are things we shouldn't take with Mepron. Is Olive Oil a good choice for absorbing Mepron?

4. I take two teaspoons of Mepron plus Biaxin XL twice a day. Do people pulse Mepron? I don't remember if my LLMD said I should or if it's safe to take it 7 days a week.

My pain has increased the last few weeks too. I don't know if the stress has been making me worse or what. Any thoughts on the sweats and this stuff would be helpful. I hope it means I'm hitting the bugs.

Thanks.

--------------------
"Soylent Green is lymies!!"
- New IDSA Sci-Fi Film

Posts: 58 | From East Coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't answer all your questions. But, I just wanted to respond to your post.

I am so sorry you have endured so much stress recently. Your body and mind have just had a trauma, with the death of your mother, and the ugly situation with your family.

A healthy person would have a very difficult time coping with your loss. You have gone through it with "two knees broken and two hands tied behind your back".

Be gentle with yourself. You might have a relapse due to the stress. The artemesia may not be a good thing to add right now. Keep everything at a minimum and get plenty of rest.
That's just my opinion.

Hopefully, someone will be along soon to help you with finding assistance for your immediate physical well being.

Take care, you are not alone.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi CG-

Like Kelmo said about the stress it
will wear anyone down --

You just started taking Mepron 3 months ago-
Babs takes a long time to make the first progress-

It may take 6 months -Babs is a Tuff bug and dose not give up easy-so hang in there -

I is NOT a good idea to pulse Babs meds-
not even one day-

Babs needs constant Hammering to keep it down-

Things will go Up and Down for awhile -
this is common and to be expected -
so dont worry to much -

I had the drenching sweats for about 12 yrs
before I started Babs treatment -

Now 2 yrs into treatment they are Gone-
(I had to buy air beds so I would not ruin
a regular bed-

Keep in mind that your symptoms will change
threw treatment -Old symptoms will fade
and new ones will POP Up -
This is normal and to be expected -

I did not get air hunger till I had been
treating Babs for over a year -

Only lasted 2 weeks for me but this
is not the usual case -

I am not sure what kind of fat is the best
so I covered my bases by taking with a
swig of salad oil a piece of cheese and
a piece of bacon or sausage -

I chew it up and mix the mepron in -

Definatily make the mepron taste More mediciney
tasting --

Later in treatment you want to add in
Bactrim DS 2X aday and the Artemisinin -
Both will make you herx --

Tonic Water is a Good thing to drink
1 plus liters aday -Diet kind-

Tonic water has a small amount of Quinine
in it and Amazingly it helps-
I hate the taste tho -Buy at grocery store -

Do Not take Co Q10- it lowers mepron strength-

Hope this helps you -Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi cg!

Don't pulse Mepron. I would take it with food .... olive oil is fine, but with food, too.

If you sweated more after the Art I would say it's doing something. I know Dr. J told someone on the board that certain types of Babs will not be cleared without taking Art along with the Mepron/macrolide.

I take Art three times per day 30 min. before meals. You can pulse the Art.

Stress could be making it worse. I would bet it is.

My babs does cycle. I feel worse every 24 days or so.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed like crazy on the third month. Increased sweats means you are herxing more. So you are probably herxing more in the fourth month.

Stress adds to everything but I think the meds are stronger than the stress and the reaction is due to the meds and not relapse.

Your families reaction is pretty typical unfortunately. Hang in there and get through it.

Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.

I am at the end of my fourth month of mepron/biaxin.

Had night sweats every couple of nights before this treatment.

Once on mepron/biaxin I sweated every night for 5 weeks straight! [Eek!]

I haven't had these sweats for about one month.

Been moving into our new house for last two weeks.

About one week ago....bingo!

Drenching night sweats! [Frown]

Increased air hunger....fatigue....sore neck....sore jaw, etc.

I do believe stress does play a role in all treatments.

Whether Lyme, babesia, bartonella, etc.

So, hang in there. I am right there with you.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you are still having sweats, I would say you are herxing.

Also, yes, I would think it can be bad, then okay, then bad again, and it is still herxing. I would just stay on it....in my opinion, you are herxing, so why stop?

Those are just my opinions though.

I am on Mepron now too. I like the Artemesinin idea....can anyone recommend a good brand?

Can't decide if I should stick with this as I am not having much of a herx, just horrible fatigue. [Frown]

But maybe it would start working better if I use the Art too.

Yes, I do take it with plenty of fat!

[ 29. June 2008, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Hoosiers51 ]

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome BACK CG! [group hug] [kiss]

we have missed you, and you have been in our thoughts/prayers during your recent loss of yoru beloved mom!!

she was LUCKY TO HAVE YOU be such a loving, kind, considerte, and thoughtful son to come and sit with her to the end of her life.

stress raises heck with all our systems; and you my friend, have bottomed out with EVERYTHING HAPPENING AT ONCE! uffda.

best wishes and post in SUPPORT as you need help or to rant ok! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart according to one LLMD can give you sweats too but they are suppose to be more localized then babs sweats.

Some LLMD's are now having people do two teaspoons of Mepron twice a day.

Whatever kind of fat you eat with it make sure you are getting 22 grams of fat.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
creativeguy
Member # 15046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creativeguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all your advice. I notice that my sweats get worse an hour or two after taking my mepron (two teaspoons twice a day). It is feasible that it hits the babesia most after taking it rather than several hours later?

I started Enula yesterday, but it seems to upset my stomach. What has people's experience been with Enula? Does it help with babs?

Are there cycles to babesia herxing? If so, does it ratchet down as one gets better?

Thanks.

--------------------
"Soylent Green is lymies!!"
- New IDSA Sci-Fi Film

Posts: 58 | From East Coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement