LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SLEEP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SLEEP!
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am having a very bad bout of insomnia.

going days and days w little sleep. it may or may not be herx related, but i need to find a way to sleep.

i have been on virtually every herb and rx med ever made for insomnia, so i was hoping someone could pull out some old tricks/suggestions for me

thanks

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried Ambien? That is what I turn to when I am desperate. It doesn't always knock me out at first, but then if I get up for a couple hours, I knock out when I get in bed for try #2.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use GABA......750 mg every night now.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Before during rigorous treatment for Babs, Bart and lyme I rotated Ambien every 3 nights, followed by Elavil for 3 nights, and then a muscle relaxer for 3 nights. That was the only thing that worked......ROTATING MEDS....which was recommended by 2 of my lyme docs.

I hope you sleep soon.......I feel for you!!!
[shake]
Gail
 -

--------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
indomitable will ~ Gandhi

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
best wishes!!

no meds help me; my suggestions which i do are these:

get on pc and help others reading galore tiring my eyes to shut down my body;

watching a favorite tv show, and then going to bed;

sit in my fav recliner reading and i fall asleep in it!

warm bath....

try a massage; perhaps your wife can help you on that one!

i haven't slept in 30-35 years!! you folks are blessed to wake up feeling refreshed and your body heels injuries .... mine does not since i can't reach delta 4 !! [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the suggestions.

like i said, i have tried all rx meds. right now i take ambien and have been for the last 6 months.

rotating meds sounds like a good idea. i need another one that is semi effective that i can rotate with it. ill try that.

thanks for the info.

betty, if you can find anyway to sleep, i strongly urge you to do so. you will never heal properly w/o sleep. so sorry you suffer this way.

cheers

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey --
Is any sort of exercise an option? I fall asleep better after exercise.

Suppose you've tried clonazepam (clonapin) or ativan.

How about earplugs? And wrap your head/eyes in a soft blanket. This keeps my hair from tickling my overly sensitive bod.

These are my "tricks". Other than that, a book that is not too boring (so that it keeps my attention) but boring enough so that I don't get all absorbed (no mysteries for me). Stupid romantic novels work best for me! I wait until my eyes droop and then I turn off the light without moving!

I really hope you can find some answers.

Allie

Allie

Posts: 300 | From Northeast | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

yeah ive tried all the benzos, no luck, they dont work anymore.

exercise is not really an option that late in the day, i am physcially exhausted but just cant sleep.

i am going to get one of those things to cover the eyes and go from there. also rotating meds might help, well see.

thanks guys

cheers

derek

--------------------

[email protected]

4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had problems for years and tried everything herbal and pharmaceutical without much help. Recently I tried Seroquel and it works better than anything else so far. It is a prescription med for bi-polar, anxiety, nausea, insomnia (I only have the insomnia).

Marla

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely nothing helped me for years, until xyrem. Now I get the deep wave sleep necessary for healing.
Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was up until 7 AM last night (or this morning?)

This insomnia is horrid - I have tried everything under the sun too

have not heard of xyrem - i just looked it up and it is advertised for narcolepsy - interesting...

maybe I'll ask my LLMD about it if I don't find relief soon

[ 03. July 2008, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Larkspur ]

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xyrem did nothing for me! What works for me is a combo of neurontin, trazodone, clonazepam, and cyclobenzaprine.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Do you use magnesium? Taurine, too.

I also really like skullcap (scullcap), zizyphus or corydalis.

You can search on PubMed for all of these ( www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez ).

Or at http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

Avoiding light into the eyes after 10 if possible, helps the brain program for sleep.

Liver support measures should help, too, as good quality sleep is highly dependent upon a happy liver.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLyme82
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLyme82     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use camomile tea and melatonin supplements. If I do sleep meds it knocks me out for a day.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with and treated for late stage Lyme in 1991 with 6 weeks of doxycycline. Initially felt better, but then developed health problems that last until today.

Posts: 83 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try making sure there is NOTHING you can see when you are in bed....no little cracks of light, etc. It should just look like total blackness, nothing else. Put aluminum foil over window panes if you have to....it is the best to let no cracks of light in from street lamps, etc.

I even cover my cell phone when it's charging by turning it over.

I find if my eyes have nothing to focus on, it helps.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flexeril + Neurontin taken at night. Neither are indicated for sleep, but they have seditive side effects. Plus, there's the relief from pain, which can interrupt sleep.
Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GABA, Seriphos, glycine, melatonin, and a little Lyrica (50 mg).
derek, I have the name of a wonderful LL-psychiatrist who is totally familiar with all the sleep and psych problems. She is a master. She's in Seattle, so you'd have to fly to see her to establish patienthood, or get Dr H's office to work with her (they know her too) and Rx what she tells them.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hoosiers51:
I even cover my cell phone when it's charging by turning it over.

Cell phones and masts are the reason why I can't sleep.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Yes, tailz.....I keep it as far away from me, yet still in the room, as possible. Can't quite get rid of the thing, but I try to keep it away from my body! [Smile]
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 150 mg of Seroquel with 30 mg of Temazepam. Last night was tough and I added 10 mg of Ambien to the mix.

I also sleep with a sleep mask on (blocks all light) and earplugs in (blocks all sound.)

With a tempurpedic bed, and pillows on both sides to support my back and under my knees, I'm good to go.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NJLyme82
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLyme82     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried chamomile tea?

It works really well for me.

Its not terribly strong but it will certainly relax you, maybe to the point where something else can work.

It is also very good for digestion.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with and treated for late stage Lyme in 1991 with 6 weeks of doxycycline. Initially felt better, but then developed health problems that last until today.

Posts: 83 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you being treated for any coinfections?

Treatment for bartonella was the answer for us.

I hope that you are able to find some relief,
sleeplessness is torture!

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to take neurontin, trazodone, and Flexeril for sleep.

Later dropped the neurontin and used traz, flexeril, time released melatonin, and ambien.

Now I'm down to traz, melatonin and ambien.

Would love to sleep without ANY aids!!! Insomnia is horrible stuff.

Betty, please ask your dr for something to help you sleep! It's necessary!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love FibroSleep by Prohealth.com. I cannot live/sleep without it!
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm on 10 mg of elavil and it seems to have stopped working.

the doc did give me ambien and i might have to try that but i'll definitely cut it in half first.

a good hot bath with epsom salts and peroxide really helps me too....

melatonin made me bounce off the wall....

hot milk is supposed to be good but i hate without chocolate in it...rats.

i agree, betty you really need something. you're going to eventually just crash.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Friends,

All these psychoactive drugs with terrible side effects, including suicidal thoughts and psychosis. This doesn't seem to be a useful way to get some sleep!

First of all, ANY drug eats up the B vitamins in your body, leaving you figuring or thinking or whatever and often unable to sleep due to this. Adding another drug is not likely to help this situation at all.

You can go with B Complex or Brewer's Yeast. Add in additional B 1 near bedtime.

Calcium and Magnesium also help with relaxing the body.

If you're lying awake thinking about things, take more B1.

If this doesn't work, ask you Dr. for a prescription for the type of sleeping pill that they used to give people in the 1950s before the explosion in mind-altering drugs. These still exist, and are cheap.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement