LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CNN and GOOD MORNING AMERICA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CNN and GOOD MORNING AMERICA
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok...the latest news from Marc Silverstein is that tomorrow, July 4th.....the Lyme segment SHOULD air from between 7:30 and 8. If it does not air I am told not to worry because this happens all the time in the news business. It was also advised that if it does not air...please do not contact ABC to complain but to be patient.

Monday July 7th on CNN somewhere between 6:00 and 9:00 there will be another lyme segment. I guess the same thing applies here. If it doesn't air, not to worry and again to try and be patient. Now.....we do not know the exact content of the show...so hopefully it will be balanced fairly. There will be people from the other side.

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the CNN one am or pm? Thanks for keeping us updated!
-k

Posts: 205 | From northern california | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thx daystar! watched 1 hr. of NOTHING tonight... [Mad]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I forgot to say morning or night

Here's the blurb I received
Okay we've got some news about CNN. A two minute story will air between 6 - 9 a.m. Monday morning. A text version of the story will later appear on CNN.com.

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Well......Dr. Bransfield and the movie clips were good....it's too bad they had that woman at the end wrapping it up. She said the bull's eye was present most of the time...that one pill of doxy prevents when one gets a tick bite and she thought that a month of antibiotics was quite a bit
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was positive that they showed clips from "Under MY Skin" (brodcaster blooper) AND I think it's great that it was even on GMA.

However, I thought the woman's info was a bit misleading. 80% get a bulls eye rash? One treatment of abx, sometimes a month? Uh, ok, bob-cut lady.

I'm mean. I'm grateful for ANY work put into this...that lady just rubbed me the wrong way.

I give it a grade of B-.

Sorry...you know I'm a positive and supportive person. I guess any exposure is good exposure (no pun intended).

I missed seeing Pam Weintraub. I think her verbiage would have made a difference.

Every little piece helps, though so thanks so much to anyone involved getting it on there in the first place!!

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

I was told that the main reason for the media blitz in Washington, GMA and CNN is to promote the film...so the GMA segment did do that very well
AnneRoto
Member # 13363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnneRoto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CNN's American Morning show which airs from 6-9am will be having a segment on Lyme Disease on Monday, July 7. Following the segment there will be an interactive on-line package that you can go to at cnn.com.
Posts: 63 | From RI | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone who missed it, go here:

http://abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext=LYME%20DISEASE&type=

and click where it says: "The Dangers of Lyme disease"

Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm just feeling very negative today, but I felt like strangling that woman at the end!!! Where did they find her!!!
Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Lou Dobbs tonight has got to get this lyme scandal bug up his you know what.

If this happens to dobbs, this scandal will be over in a year.

jamescase20
Unregistered

I URGE everyone go to loudobbs.com and email him about this scandal...the whole deal...dearborn blot, etc.

If gots gets angery....hes a steam roller.

jamescase20
Unregistered

Lou Dobbs was fired from CNN, and rehired after the ratings tanked without him.

His contract (new) allows him to say ANYTHING he wants on TV.

Thats why hes a rebel.

If you watch his show, you note his reporters never step out of the line of big business, but he does.

Its his contract, they cant tell him what to do.

His ratings skyrocketing due to his behavior.

His contract renewal, includes his ability to say whatever he wants.

Get this lyme scandal in his hands, light his fire.

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the online article, tried to leave a comment, but ten different user names were rejected. So my brilliant comment was not made. Something wrong with their system? Or they don't want anymore comments? Anyone else have this problem?

Good idea, James, on Dobbs. Maybe someone should send him a copy of Pam Weintraub's book or the DVD of documentary.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did "not" like that segment. It only served to perpetuate the incorrect information and to say "Yeah, patients with Lyme hurt...." Well no **** captain.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Hopefully people who saw the GMA segment will find the movie somehow, watch it and then they will have a better view of the lyme situation
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad they gave the blond at the end so much time. It would have been better to have shown more of Bransfield, less of her.

I wanted to scream at her. Her misinformation was damaging for those who think, gee I only need one dose and I'll be fine, or no bulls eye = no Lyme!

Even the host didn't get the name of Under Our Skin right. He called it Under My Skin.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the correct name of the movie and where can I see it?
Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 8 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give the segment a C-! It is just the same old thing over and over!

I have already posted my thoughts in General Support, so I do not need to say much more here except the Duck at the end sounds like all the Ducks I have seen and the ones I see now.

Lou Dobbs would be great with this, but would he do it? That is the real question.

Hugs, Perplexed [confused]

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

please go to this one and read the entire text; 25 posts; i was 24/25 .... 2000 characters.

lou, keep trying; i'd replied another time; didn't know it but they said i existed and that was after i entered my long comments ... they stayed!!!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=020161

ellenluba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellenluba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually thought that the segment was good ,considering what has often happened with coverage of the Lyme debate.

First of all, although they had both sides, they gave Bransfield the quote AFTER the IDSA guy. It's always been the other way around, which leave the public with the subliminal message that the second person is sort of correcting the first.

There was a presumption that chronic Lyme does exist. At least I heard it that way.

Also, they showed some dramatic and very sympathetic clips from patients from Under Our Skin.

Just getting the fact of the movie out there was a big help to us.

Even though the bulls eye rash statistic was off, it corrected the idea many people have and are told by their doctors, which is that if you don't have a bulls eye rash, you don't have Lyme.

I'm going to post a thread just so there's a way for people to know they can access the video there.
Ellen

--------------------

Posts: 819 | From New York, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree Ellen, yes there was some misinformation, but overall the piece was balanced and got our side out, and left the question of chronic infection open, even the doc at the end admitted that, which seems like a huge difference from prior news coverage. We need to look at the big picture, there is definitely a shift happening in how the media coverage is slanted, and while the piece was not totally on our side, it was not biased towards the IDSA view either, and that is huge. GMA needs to be applauded for covering this, and for going as far as they did, and encouraged to do more stories in the future looking into this subject deeper. I like the idea of sending them a copy of Cure Unknown, maybe as they learn more they will be willing to go even farther in their coverage.
-k

Posts: 205 | From northern california | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
52 comments!
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was swearing coming out of my mouth when they had someone near the end say that 1 dose of antibiotics can cure you early on.
Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one dose thing really bothered me too. But other than that, I actually thought they did a fairly decent job.
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here';s cnn report for 7-7-08....mandy hughes story

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=068679

i copied entire text below it!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement