LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » sorry, gross question, but what happens if you eat a tick??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sorry, gross question, but what happens if you eat a tick??
SunRa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, I know it's gross, but this just crossed my mind since the farm we belong to is in a tick infested area and since it's an organic farm, we often find bugs on the produce (better than pesticides though!).

we wash it all really well but of course some ticks you would never see. not sure they would really hang out on the veggies, but you never know.

I'm just curious..what would happen??

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thought! Your right you wont see the nymphs most often!

Hmmmmmmmm

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SunRa,

I don't know.

If I were you in tick-endemic Maryland, working on a farm, I'd use a pesticide to try to keep ticks off.

I was writing organic gardening articles 26 years ago. Trust me: Using Deet is miles better than getting chronic Lyme disease.

True story: I had a huge bull's-eye rash and didn't know it was Lyme. (Most never get the rash.) No signs or symptoms. Nine years later SUDDENLY I had a multitude of hideous, painful and disabling signs and symptoms within the hour.

If that happens, will you (or other patients) know that it's Lyme? In most of the US--no.

Will you have insurance to pay for Lyme meds? Will insurance actually pay? Will you have tens of thousands of dollars to pay for Lyme treatment?

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi daise, thanks for your thoughts. I'm in Massachusetts and I don't work on the farm much, just pick up my weekly share...the question isn't so much about ME getting ticks, but having them already be on the vegetables and accidentally ingesting one [puke]

also, I've been dealing with a severe case of neuro lyme and all the associated stresses for several years now. it's been total hell and understand what you're saying...but for many reasons, I am still adamantly opposed to all synthetic pesticide use

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found small ticks on the leaves of my bean plants while picking green beans.

I wash everything really well as soon as I get it into the house but I understand the concern about eating ticks.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a good solution: spray beneficial nematodes on the farm. They help by killing ticks and grubs and various other garden pests!

They are not toxic, don't harm humans, pets or farm animals. I say parasite the ticks right back.

I sprayed them in my garden this year- no ticks and a continuing bug free harvest.

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Sunshine!

I wouldn't stake my reputation on this...but remember reading somewhere that ticks would not survive the digestive system.

I sort of find that difficult to believe knowing that they survive everything else, but hopefully it is correct and will bring you some comfort.

I tried a search for you, but could not come up with reputable info, sorry.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that Lyme can be acquired in the stomach by ingestion, proven in animal studies.

Read that 4 yrs ago, sorry no link.

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was asked that question by a mother in a panic one day YEARS ago.

Her daughter called her from school. The kids were on a field trip and were having lunch at a picnic table. A tick was found crawling on her hand.

She quickly "flicked" it off, squirmed a bit and went on chatting and eating.

She took a drink of her chocolate milk... swallowed something besides the milk.. and couldn't spit it back up.

She immediately panicked and was crying... telling others she was going to get Lyme dissease from swallowing the tick.

That is when the mother called me to find out what to do.

I had NO clue. I asked as many people as I could to see if anyone knew.. and nothing. No one had heard of such a thing.

I searched for months to find answers... but never could.

Some suggested, as Melanie said she heard, that stomach juices might kill it.. but I agree with Melanie and I wouldn't bet money on it.

I'm afraid that is a risk you would take by not addressing the overwhelming tick populations. I'm afraid they will only continue to grow unless you do.

Sorry, but I know of no other way to prevent it or help you if you do eat them. You might want to take antibiotics if you think you ate them? I think I'd rather get rid of the ticks though before I had them as appetizers and had to ingest the chemicals needed to try to kick the diseases they carry.

But that is my opinion.

Sure wish I had a better answer. Good luck!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

thanks for all the info and input! seems there aren't any definitive answers or studies done on this (regarding humans anyways).

I did find info about dogs contracting American canine hepatozoonosis, a very serious disease, from ingesting ticks. nothing about Lyme or other infections though.

I'll have to check with the farm to ask what they do (if anything) to reduce ticks naturally. The nematodes sound promising.

I know my opinion isn't shared by most here, but I personally believe that using chemical pesticides just trades one devastating problem for another, one with more widespread damage (on humans, wildlife, water sources, etc) than most realize.

Instead we need to work on re-balancing the ecosystem, a huge task of course especially due to global warming and bad human habits.

But that's a topic for another day [Smile]

SunRa
Member # 3559

and Tincup, you're right about the irony/hypocrisy of having to take chemical drugs to treat the infections. Pharmaceutical drugs are poisoning our water supply and have already adversely affected fish, birds, frogs, etc.

personally, I try to treat as naturally as possible (myself, pets, garden), but it's a big mess we're in. we all just have to do the best we can.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement