LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Article - Bad Lyme Bug Spreading

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Article - Bad Lyme Bug Spreading
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link to the article...

www.webmd.com/news/20080609/bad-lyme-bug-spreading

Bad Lyme Bug Spreading

Virulent Strain of Lyme Disease Spreading in U.S., Europe

By Daniel J. DeNoon

WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJune 9, 2008 -- A virulent strain of Lyme disease germ is spreading in the U.S. and in Europe, a new study shows.

It's not a new strain of Borrelia burgdorferi, the spirochete or spiral-shaped bacterium that causes Lyme disease.

In fact, it was one of the first strains ever identified -- found in the cerebrospinal fluid of a patient with severe Lyme meningitis.

But now Wei-Gang Qiu, PhD, Benjamin Luft, MD, and colleagues find that the particularly nasty ospC type A strain appears to be the most common of the 20 or so B. burgdorferi strains found in the U.S.

The spread of this virulent strain, they suggest, could be part of the reason for the increase in Lyme disease cases seen over the past two decades.

"OspC type A is the type most widely distributed in the U.S. -- and, as others have shown, this is the most virulent strain," Qiu, an assistant professor at New York's Hunter College, tells WebMD.

"If this is widespread, it is not good.

You don't want to see this thing increase."

Luft, professor of medicine and former chief of infectious diseases at SUNY Stony Brook, says the spread of the ospC type A strain may explain part of the U.S. Lyme disease epidemic.

"Perhaps part of the Lyme disease story is not that B. burgdorferi just emerged in the 1970s, but that this group of strains that cause more disease became more dominant in our environment," Luft tells WebMD.

"So instead of people getting infected with less virulent strains, they got infected with a more virulent strain and got more disease."

Qiu and Luft note that the rise of a more virulent Lyme spirochete isn't the whole story.

People get the infection from the bite of a deer tick.

As suburbs encroach on rural areas, and as more homes are built near forests, more people are at risk of tick bites.

Increased exposure to ticks accounts for most of the increase in Lyme disease.

Qiu and colleagues found that the ospC type A strain is the most widespread strain in the U.S.

It's also widespread in Europe.

That was a surprise, as Lyme disease spirochetes in Europe are spread by different ticks and harbored by different animal hosts than in the U.S.

"What is surprising is these ospC type A strains in the U.S. and in Europe are genetically almost identical," Qiu says.

"So this type is quite unusual in its ability to colonize new habitats. ... This is very strong evidence for this type having a very broad ecological niche in terms of the species that can carry it."

"This means it went from one continent to another continent relatively recently," adds Luft.

"And it means that, as Europe and U.S. have very different ecosystems, this strain is highly adaptable to new environments. ... This makes it a formidable foe -- and it causes significant disease."

It's not clear whether this bad Lyme germ traveled from North America to Europe or vice versa.

And it's not clear when this happened, although it seems to have occurred in the last 200 years, possibly when a tick-infested bird crossed the Atlantic.

It's likely, Qiu says, that this strain will continue to become more prominent in areas where Lyme disease is established.

CDC medical epidemiologist Kevin Griffith, MD, MPH, says that while Lyme disease has been reported in nearly every state, 10 mostly Northeastern states account for 92% of cases.

Although the 20,000 cases reported to the CDC in 2006 were fewer than the 23,000 cases reported in 2005, Griffith says the true number of cases is probably larger.

"There is probably a true increase in the number of cases," Griffith tells WebMD.

The good news, he says, is that there's been a drop in the most severe, late-stage manifestations of Lyme disease.

He attributes this to doctors identifying the disease -- and beginning treatment -- sooner now than in the earlier years of the epidemic.

Qiu and colleagues report their findings in the July issue of the CDC's Emerging Infectious Diseases.

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article. I'll bump you up.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just HOW does Lyme Disease GET reported to the CDC?

Is it by way of positive results on tests restricted to CDC standards?

Only 20,000 reported in the US and less than reported than last year?

Also Lymes is being detected earlier - they attribute a lower number of cases reported to early detection?

Does this sound half-baked to anyone else out there?

What about Chronic Lyme patients who will not get positive results by CDC standards?

Can someone explain this to me? I have never known so many people with Lymes. It seems many, many people have it.

Is this their way of playing down the epidemic of Lyme? Why? So the Insurance Companied can deny it?

Peedie

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hokie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This idea was mentioned in Cure Unknown. Scary.
Posts: 129 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks tailz! [Smile]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Hi Peedie,

You asked some very interesting questions, some of which I asked myself, when I read it too. [Smile]

I don't have the answers, but yes, it does sound "half-baked" to me and maybe even then some!

This really caught my eye...

"So instead of people getting infected with less virulent strains, they got infected with a more virulent strain and got more disease."

If so, that's scary!

This really caught my eye too...

"The good news, he says, is that there's been a drop in the most severe, late-stage manifestations of Lyme disease."

"He attributes this to doctors identifying the disease -- and beginning treatment -- sooner now than in the earlier years of the epidemic."

Really?

Hmmm...

Where did they get their information to justify saying this?

That's certainly not what I'm seeing!

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------

jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Hi Hokie,

Thanks for mentioning that! [Smile]

I haven't read the book yet, but it's on my to-do list.

From what I've heard about it, sure sounds like I need to do that sooner than later!

Just from what the article presented, yes, it is very scary, indeed!

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement