LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fox Business News Anchor has Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fox Business News Anchor has Lyme Disease
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems he 'thinks' he caught it in time and expects to be fully cured. I sure hope so!!!

But by the time I had Bell's Palsy it was too late for me. [Frown]

Here's the link,
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fox_biz/happy_hour_anchor_willard_has_lyme_disease_88590.asp

Happy Hour Anchor Willard Has Lyme Disease

A few tipsters voiced some "concern" regarding a puffy left eye of Happy Hour co-anchor Cody Willard on Wednesday.

It turns out the FBN host will be off air for a bit -- he blogs this weekend that he has been diagnosed with Lyme Disease. The Lyme Disease, he writes, caused Bell's Palsy on his face.

"It looks like we probably caught this Lyme Disease quickly enough that I will be fully cured from it," writes Willard. "In that sense, getting this Bell's Palsy to get me to the hospital to get cured is also a blessing."

Willard writes he likely contracted the disease, "from a camping trip in the woods in upstate New York," a few weeks ago.

There is no word how long Willard be out (although it could potentially be a while). Eric Bolling pulls a stool up to the bar to fill in as co-anchor with Rebecca Gomez on the 5pmET show.

[ 08. July 2008, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: stella marie ]

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to sound pessimistic but if he's getting conventional IDSA treatment, I doubt he will be cured. Of course he could be one of the lucky ones who has none of the nasty co-infections (unlikely) and whose immune system is 100% able to handle lyme. OR like so many of us, maybe he will be fine for a number of years until his immune system can no longer keep it at bay.

Hopefully he is fully looking into lyme disease and will know to see an ILADS LLMD rather than an IDSA type.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I hope he goes beyond the inept journalists in his field to properly research this. I truly hope he gets the right information and a good doctor.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler - I wonder if he secretly watches CNN? [Big Grin]

If so, maybe he got a chance to see what can happen when you get to consult w/ a lyme knowledgeable doc.

TerryK - No regets for your "sorry to sound pessimistic", I concur!!! I was being a bit sarcastic.

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody even watch fox biz network???
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I just saw this. Note that I responded to that two days ago. You'll see the post with the "studies" and stuff. Posted by Michael.

Yup, that's me. I owned him.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you get Bell's Palsy that quickly, after being bitten a few weeks ago [confused] ???

Jan

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi everyone,

I've never heard of anyone getting Bell's right off the bat, but then, I'm no doctor.

I replied a few weeks ago to the Fox Business News Site with a looooong reply to a wonderful story. I'll have to figure a way to alert him to it. Apparently he didn't read it.

Yes--it sounds like he's getting IDSA garbage treatment. I'm going now, to try to alert him, somehow.

daise [Smile]

daise
Unregistered

OK. I broke up the sentences. Here's what I emailed to [email protected]:

Dear Editor,

I just read that Happy Hour Co-Anchor Cody Willard, of Fox Business News, has Lyme disease. My name is (deleted!) and I have chronic Lyme disease.

This is URGENT because I fear he is not receiving proper care. I ask, please, that you get this information to him in an urgent manner--please, to save him from what could be lifelong, painful disability.

Hi Cody,

I'm sorry you're ill with Bell's palsy, caused by Lyme. I had Bell's, too, so I understand. I was frightened because no doctor would listen to me, nor even recognise my Bell's palsied face staring at them.

There are a number of things you need to know, patient-to-patient. I'll explain.

Chronic Lyme patients can be very much hurt by the IDSA Guidelines (Infectious Disease Society of America) for Lyme disease.

It sounds like you're seeing an infectious disease doctor of IDSA, or a conventional doctor who is dictated to by IDSA. IDSA does not at all take Lyme disease seriously, but for a wee handful in our country.

That you have Bell's palsy is concerning for chronic Lyme disease. That's a whole different illness than early Lyme disease.

The information I read about you is that the doctor thinks he caught it early enough to cure it. Bull! Bell's palsy is serious. There is no "cure" for chronic Lyme disease. That's also why I fear you're being treated by IDSA Guidelines.

Cody, I had a huge bulls-eye rash in Utah, yet didn't know it was Lyme. I had no signs or symptoms.

Nine years later SUDDENLY I had Bell's palsy, severe right side muscle pain throughout, terrible cognitive abilities, right side arthritis and much more--all within the hour.

A short time later I had severe head pain that has been constant 24/7 ever since--for four years, with the exception that it has improved a lot with treatment.

I went from doctor to doctor to doctor (31 doctors) and was not properly diagnosed. It took awhile for me to research and then to diagnose myself with chronic Lyme disease. I couldn't and still can't work, due to painful signs and symptoms.

I'm in the midst of treatment. Thank God! As a result, I'm poor and am termed "homeless veteran," though I do have a roof over my head. I am disabled and am receiving SSDI (Social Security Disability.)

I am grateful for treatment, for SSDI and for a roof over my head.

I'm telling you this to illustrate how hideous chronic Lyme disease is, in every way. I began treatment in September, 2006. It is ongoing and I see myself as being in treatment for over a year more--at the least.

To get miles better, Cody, you must see a doctor who is experienced at treating Lyme: an ILADS physician (International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society.)

IDSA doctors have no experience treating Lyme, because when an IDSA doctor fails to help a patient, they naturally won't go back.

If they do, they will be bullied: no more treatment. Count on it. "Your signs and symptoms are all in your head," is what they'll say, or something similar.

Three or four weeks of an antibiotic usually doesn't work for early Lyme. Some may feel better for awhile, but Lyme will come roaring back, far worse than before and more difficult to treat. Lyme can kill.

Typically, you'll need high-dose, multiple, prolonged antibiotics--and they must cross the blood brain barrier.

In addition, you may have other tick borne illnesses complicating your condition. That's common.

Members of the IDSA panel that devised the Guidelines have been investigated and found to have conflicts of interest: the IDSA guidelines are fraudulent. Please see Connecticut Attorney General Blumenthal's press release:

http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?A=2795&Q=414284

This is all about profits over patients.

Please go to www.ilads.org and on the left menu click "Treatment Guidelines." That brings you to two guidelines: ILADS Guidelines and Dr. Burrascano's 33 pages of Guidelines for 2005. Print both!

I know it's hard to read the medical information in these two documents with Bell's palsy, and to retain what you've read. Perhaps someone could read them to you.

Please--you need an LLMD (Lyme-literate MD) who follows ILADS Guidelines. To find one, go to www.lymediseaseassociation.org or to www.lymenet.org which is a Lyme blog. Find the forum for "Seeking A Doctor" and post your location.

We keep our LLMD's names secret, as politics and profits is responsible for state medical boards pulling the license of about 30 of them and harassing others. What kind of a doctor would persist in helping Lyme patients? A hero doctor, that's who!

You're welcome to email me at: (my email)

I'm not a doctor!

On May 27, 2008, I responded very favorably to commentary by TL Kittle, which I saw on the Fox Business News website. It follows.

________

Dear editor,

I'm writing about your article of May 24, 2008, on the Fox Business site titled, "Lyme Lies: Allen Steere's horrifying comments ..."

I have chronic Lyme disease. IDSA doctors who wrote the Lyme Guidelines were found to have conflicts of interest through an investigation by Connecticut Attorney General Blumenthal.

The IDSA Guidelines for Lyme are fraudulent. It was the first time a US medical society was investigated. Challenged. IDSA represents infectious disease doctors coast-to-coast.

Thank you for printing this great story. TL Kittle's commentary is right on the nose.

Even the CDC (Centers for Dise ...

(Etc. It was a long reply.)

daise [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daise,

i applaud you for your efforts in writing him!!! [bonk] [bow] [kiss] [group hug]

daise
Unregistered

Thanks BettyG.

There are a lot of online comments to Cody. A few gave Cody terrible advice. Two talked-up a spinal tap as being the way to detect Lyme disease.

Two talked-up the Mayo clinic. Tincup road a tractor over-top of them with "hold the mayo."

Another poster--fully aware that Cody has Bell's palsy, spoke authoritatively about how he could develop neurological problems.

The comments got better toward the end.

Nighty night.

daise [Smile]

NJLyme82
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJLyme82     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I applaud all of you efforts to give Cody the information he needs.

I also left him a message on his blog.

At this point, especially with the comments on his blog right there for him to read, its up to him to either take the warnings or ignore them.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with and treated for late stage Lyme in 1991 with 6 weeks of doxycycline. Initially felt better, but then developed health problems that last until today.

Posts: 83 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Here is my response I left on his blog, I sure hope he reads all our heartfelt responses....

Hi Cody,

I hope you are educating yourself about tick borne diseases. Ticks carry many other buggs besides Lyme Disease, they are called co-infections. Please research beyond what the doctors are telling you. I am wishing you a speedy recovery!

I had Bell's Palsy from Lyme Disease also. Unfortunately for me, the Palsy did not show up until 6 months after I was bit. I had taken steriods for what was supposed breathing problems (it was a co-infection).....a big no, no. It drove the bacteria deeper into my system and I became sicker.

My Bell's Palsy did go away after a few days but all sorts of other problems showed up for years on end. Doing better these days though.

You got some great advice above in some of you responses, the following websites can offer more information;

1- LymeNet.org, click on Flash Discussions, then on Medical Questions.

2- ILADS - International Lyme And Associated Diseases Society

3- View the trailer or movie titled Under Our Skin, it was voted Audience Choice Award Finalist at the Tribeca Film Festival. The director Andy Abrahams Wilson of Open Eye Pictures did a fantastic job of explaining all the difficulties & controversies concerning this subject.

If you go the Open Eye Pictures website you can view the Under our Skin trailer. It's a must see!!!

The most important thing you can do is find a doctor who knows how to treat this disease.

So glad you have family support, that's going to help you get through this Cody!

If you have any ?'s, just shoot me an email.

Stella Marie

--------------------
Stella Marie

METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the response I left:

Cody, it's unfortunate this happened. If you're fortunate, and do get well -- which I hope is the case, then that's great. If you don't recover, and find yourself being one of the many who receive 2-4 weeks of antibiotics, feel better, then relapse later only to be told ``It's not Lyme'' ``Nothing is wrong with you'' or ``It's post-lyme syndrome'' -- you can be sure that after enough time goes by, you'll enter the ``Lyme community'' begging for help and begging for Congress to listen.

When dying from an illness that is as political, controversial, and money driven as Lyme Disease, you can't really minimize the plight of those suffering terribly when they beg Congress to do something (It was implied), especially considering the private sector has proven itself incapable of ethically choosing the publics safety over the financial interests with this specific disease. in 2006 there was an anti-trust case brought against the Infectious Disease Society Of America. Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut found multiple conflicts of interest financially over the societies creation of the treatment guidelines for Lyme Disease. The problem is simple. The society claims Lyme Disease is hard to catch, easy to cure -- while another group of doctors say Lyme Disease is easy to catch, and often hard to cure.

You don't think the government should get involved when a society as large is the IDSA is restricting consumer choice over having access to ``all'' the available science on Lyme Disease, a society who is producing guidelines that literally dismiss the studies implicating the infection as being persistent and requiring long term antibiotics?

Unfortunately for those sick, having access to the best and brightest doctors in the medical community, just like President Bush, you'll probably consult doctors who are members of ILADS (International Lyme and Associated Disease Society) and who use long term antibiotics, you'll get well, and then you'll abandon the facts I've presented, and you'll go back to your comfy life and ignore the reality that there is an epidemic going on that is killing people and or crippling people, while the majority of the medical community deny that fact.

You're in a position where people can tell you these things, and can warn you of the consequences of holding the belief you do. There are hundreds of studies indicating that this infection is persistent, and that once it reaches the central nervous system, it can take up residence, sequestering itself in areas of the body, such as collagen rich spaces, where antibiotics can't permeate. Yet, with all these studies, the medical community is literally split over whether Chronic Lyme Disease exist? Are you kidding me?

Here, I'll post just a few abstracts:

1: Ann Med. 1999 Jun;31(3):225-32.Links Borrelia burgdorferi detected by culture and PCR in clinical relapse of disseminated Lyme borreliosis. Oksi J, Marjam�ki M, Nikoskelainen J, Viljanen MK.

Department of Medicine, Turku University Central Hospital, Finland. [email protected]

A total of 165 patients with disseminated Lyme borreliosis (diagnosed in 1990-94, all seropositive except one culture-positive patient) were followed after antibiotic treatment. We conclude that the treatment of Lyme borreliosis with appropriate antibiotics for even more than 3 months may not always eradicate the spirochete. By using PCR, it is possible to avoid unnecessary retreatment of patients with `post-Lyme syndrome' and those with 'serological scars' remaining detectable for months or years after infection.

2: Rheumatol Int. 1996;16(3):125-32.Links Intracellular persistence of Borrelia burgdorferi in human synovial cells. Girschick HJ, Huppertz HI, R�ssmann H, Krenn V, Karch H.

Children's Hospital, University of W�rzburg, Germany.

To investigate if Borrelia burgdorferi can persist in resident joint cells. Treatment with ceftriaxone eradicated extracellular Borrelia burgdorferi, but spirochetes were reisolated after lysis of the synovial cells. Borrelia burgdorferi persisted inside synovial cells for at least 8 weeks. These data suggested that Borrelia burgdorferi might be able to persist within resident joint cells in vivo.

3: Logigian EL, Kaplan RF, Steere AC. Department of Neurology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111.

BACKGROUND AND METHODS. Lyme disease, caused by the tick-borne spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi, is associated with a wide variety of neurologic manifestations. To define further the chronic neurologic abnormalities of Lyme disease, we studied 27 patients (age range, 25 to 72 years) with previous signs of Lyme disease, current evidence of immunity to B. burgdorferi, and chronic neurologic symptoms with no other identifiable cause. Eight of the patients had been followed prospectively for 8 to 12 years after the onset of infection. RESULTS. Of the 27 patients, 24 (89 percent) had a mild encephalopathy that began 1 month to 14 years after the onset of the disease and was characterized by memory loss, mood changes, or sleep disturbance. Of the 24 patients, 14 had memory impairment on neuropsychological tests, and 18 had increased cerebrospinal fluid protein levels, evidence of intrathecal production of antibody to B. burgdorferi, or both. Nineteen of the 27 patients (70 percent) had polyneuropathy with radicular pain or distal paresthesias; all but two of these patients also had encephalopathy. In 16 patients electrophysiologic testing showed an axonal polyneuropathy. One patient had leukoencephalitis with asymmetric spastic diplegia, periventricular white-matter lesions, and intrathecal production of antibody to B. burgdorferi. Among the 27 patients, associated symptoms included fatigue (74 percent), headache (48 percent), arthritis (37 percent), and hearing loss (15 percent). At the time of examination, chronic neurologic abnormalities had been present from 3 months to 14 years, usually with little progression. Six months after a two-week course of intravenous ceftriaxone (2 g daily), 17 patients (63 percent) had improvement, 6 (22 percent) had improvement but then relapsed, and 4 (15 percent) had no change in their condition. CONCLUSIONS. Months to years after the initial infection with B. burgdorferi, patients with Lyme disease may have chronic encephalopathy, polyneuropathy, or less commonly, leukoencephalitis. These chronic neurologic abnormalities usually improve with antibiotic therapy.

I could go on, I have hundreds more....

The documentary ``Under Our Skin'' has been in the news a lot lately, I would see it if I was you. Get familiar with this illness, because remember, Lyme Disease isn't the only thing that ticks can transmit when they bite you. Babesia? Bartonella? Mycoplasma, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, Ehrlichiosis. There are more, but I suggest you do your homework and understand the complexity of your situation.

You're not out of the woods just because you've been told so by someone wearing a white coat.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Great responses Mike & Daise!!!

I hope we hear from him soon.

But I fear he may be lead down the rabbit hole of endless test and the merry-go-round of docs who will dx him with the usual crapola. Not unlike what has happend to many of us here.

I hope he is strong and has the will to call bull$hit on those MS, Fibro dx's & my favorite one, "Maybe it's all in your head, your a handsome man, your just looking for attention."

--------------------
Stella Marie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement