LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Eye & brain symptoms / where am I in this process??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eye & brain symptoms / where am I in this process??
Dancer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been off abx for a month, longest break yet, and sadly my symptoms are kicking right back up. But I am having new, weird symptoms in my head that I'm trying to know what to make of... maybe someone can help me gauge all this.

I get this swollen brain feeling on and off, along with mild vertigo, it lasts usually an hour or a few hours, and occasionally during this I get these sudden, what I'm calling brain throbs, like an energy wave goes through my head for just a second, its kind of startling.

And also during these swollen brain periods, I've noticed that if I turn my eyes to the left or right, I get sort of a similar throb - I don't know if it's my eye muscles or my brain or what.

I am definitely having a resurgence of brain fog & spaciness too.

I saw my doctor this week and when I told him about the eye thing he said, "that's not so good" and he said its - I'm not sure if this is the right word - meningial?

He definitely did NOT say I have meningitis. But I don't really understand what this is or how serious.

I also have neck stiffness that comes and goes, but not really headaches - not pain - just these aches and throbs that come and go.

I do have other symptoms too - fatigue, ear pressure, tinnitus, but those are mild now. Other little things are popping up too after being gone awhile, like palpitations.

I'm in this place where I am nearing having to talk to relatives about helping me financially, which feels horrible. I'm having so much trouble working or being productive at anything.

Soooo... I'm trying to gauge where I am and how I can explain it to my family. I'm like the walking wounded who looks fine (don't we all) and I even question myself - am I overestimating this, am I being lazy. "How sick is she...?"

I'm going back on oral abx tomorrow, so back to herxing, and I'm looking into IV (have been doing oral only with an excellent LLMD for a year and a half now) and this is all just taking so LONG...

*sigh*

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Dancer

Posts: 227 | From South of the North Pole | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I started treatment, I would have the same electrical charges on my right side temple.

At times I could start and stop them with blinking.

During a massage, it started and the guy freaked- he could feel it. I was happy someone believed me.

It eventually got worse, and I had major "seizure-like" episodes. Mayo dx as chronic viral meningitis- "very rare"-of course, there was no treatment-just had to live with the pain...

Luckily, I kept looking for help=I haven't had the electrical charges since I started Lyme treatment.

I didn't have any answers for you just wanted you to know you are not alone. Many hugs
[group hug]

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wantabe, thanks for posting your experience.
I can sure use those hugs - that was sweet, thanks!

Posts: 227 | From South of the North Pole | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
von
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi dancer,

I am pretty sure Meningeal inflammation is the same as meningitis.

Perhaps you have a 'subacute' form?

Your description of stiff neck, swollen brain, brain fog, eye pain,pressure..... well, sounds exactly like me.

My LLMD called it 'inflammation from your nerological infection' You know, bugs in the brain.

Sometimes reality is a slap in the face, huh? I like to think that I will be better next month.
And one of these months it will be true. But I have been thinking 'next month' for two and a half years.

I believe I will get well, but sister, I think we have a way to go.

You may want to consider filing for SSD. I have decided that is what I need to do. I worked through having my month IV, and a few years of illness,which in retrospect was not doing myself any favors.

from answers.com:

Sci-Tech Encyclopedia: Meningitis
Inflammation of the meninges. Certain types of meningitis are associated with distinctive abnormalities in the cerebrospinal fluid. With certain types of meningitis, especially bacterial, the causative organism can usually be recovered from the fluid. See also Meninges.

Meningeal inflammation in most cases is caused by invasion of the cerebrospinal fluid by an infectious organism. Noninfectious causes also occur. For example, in immune-mediated disorders antigen-antibody reactions can cause meningeal inflammation.....

Many viruses can cause meningeal inflammation, a condition referred to as viral aseptic meningitis. The most common viral causes include the enteroviruses, the various herpesviruses, viruses transmitted by arthropods, the human immunodeficiency virus type I (HIV-1), and formerly, the mumps virus. If the virus attacks mainly the brain rather than the spinal cord, the disorder is termed viral encephalitis. See also Animal virus; Arboviral encephalitides; Enterovirus; Herpes.

Fungal, parasitic, and rickettsial meningitis are less common in the United States than are bacterial and viral. These infections are more likely to be subacute or chronic than those caused by bacteria or viruses; in most cases, the meningeal inflammation is associated with brain involvement. An acute form of aseptic meningitis can occur in the spirochetal diseases, syphilis and Lyme disease. See also Lyme disease; Medical mycology; Medical parasitology; Rickettsioses; Syphilis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 258 | From Washington State | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my hubsand has been suffering these same symptoms for over 6 yrs...been treated now for lyme for 20 mts and i'm glad to say things are changing for the better at last...mind you they are small but its a start...we go to see Dr. today and i'm sure he will also see a change...so all i, as well as others, want to say is, hang in there..some times it gets worse before it gets better...take care

--------------------
madgen

Posts: 342 | From newjersey | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI, you are not alone, and I feel for you.

Mine started as pressure, pain. Then seizure like

activity. Abx was increased last fall and I

was not feeling this so often. Now just recently

it started again. I am afraid I don't have a

solution other than for you to start treatment

as you already know. A spect scan could show

you more of what is going on. My insurance did

cover this.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not

alone and that I know how scary it is. It is

the only symptom that makes me just fall apart.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many posted above, I too have had the 'electrical charge' episodes. So, just add me to the list.

I wanted to comment on getting better - how long - lazy, crazy, impoverished/is re-treatment worth it, etc remarks in your post.

I was very struck when viewing Under Our Skin by the forest ranger Lymie - of course I can't remember his name!! - Jim something? He comes across as the most sane, calm and strong person you could meet. He said he turned a major, major corner at 3 years of treatment.

So, I'm at 1 1/2. The pace of progress is now slow, many times truly unnoticeable (initial progress was amazing, dramatic!). I feel so conflicted, taking medicine so long now for such minimal 'payoff' in increased health. But then I think of this guy - and know I probably have a while to go - and I have never been symptom free - and I am not a whiner, baby, crazy, etc. & neither are you. I say stick with it.

And asking for help is hard, but that's what family is for.

"Cure Unknown" by Pamela Weintraub could help you and them to keep the faith. And seeing "Under Our Skin" would also be very helpful to you and your family.

It's just a very hard slog.

Good Luck -

OTM

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11039

Everybody -- I am SO glad to get all these replies. I don't often ask for help and I know my post was long to read. I am so glad to have a community of support.

I only skimmed through the reponses now because I promised myself today I would FIRST try to make a dent in my pile of undone financial stuff, and hopefully exercise. Hours melt away when I go wandering thru the internet and email.

So I will read and respond more later on.
Thank you so much!

Dancer

von
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Onthemend has a great suggestion, sharing even a little part of Under Our Skin with the family would be helpful.

Here is a link to CNN that talks about lyme and Under Our Skin:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2008/07/07/cohen.lyme.disease.cnn?iref=videosearch

Also, underourskin.com has some other video snipits that might be helpful. Both for you and the family.

Seeing the pro baseball player go from talented sports guy to "some days it is hard to put a shirt on"

Von

Posts: 258 | From Washington State | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niff
Member # 11055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this also, the head presure - swollen brain feeling. Usually tracking along with it I get an overall weak/yukky feeling througout my body.

My guess is that the brain inflammation is causing the sensation of the overall body malaise.

Posts: 22 | From South Jersey | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement