LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Think i should assume the meds arent working?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Think i should assume the meds arent working?
Halbowitz
Member # 9541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Halbowitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me, when I read most posts about people who have gotten/getting treatment for Lyme and they responded to the meds, they respond pretty quickly.

Ofcourse, some also have flair ups and symptoms come back... but it seems that most report some relief or some symptoms going away pretty quickly.

Ive been in a PICC line with 2g ceftriaxone a day.

And im only 11 days into a 28 day treatment but things haven't gotten any better.

So it concerns me that maybe im not responding to these meds.

I dont know if i should write my doc and ask for some Doxy also.

Something i think they will deny.

But worth a shot.

Or maybe someone else was on this meds and didnt respond to it either.. but did later on... which will be comforting to hear for my soul.

Either im expecting something i shouldn't expect this soon, or im right to be concerned that i have had no improvement yet.

Thanks for your opinion,

Hal

Posts: 47 | From Denver | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kpa
Member # 12079

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hal,

It can take a long time even on IV abx to
kill all the bacteria.

Some doctors will add an oral along with the abx.

But for a lot of people it can take months of IV
treatment to get better. My kids had picclines and I know they are helpful but not a bed of roses exactly.

Wish we had a quick fix! Thank goodness there is
treatment even if it can take a while.

Take care,
kpa

Posts: 56 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halbowitz
Member # 9541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Halbowitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im assuming they are going to only do the 28 days of treatment.

Although im going to LLMD (hopefully) mid august.

I guess i just was getting my hopes up after reading so many other posts about people feeling better immediately.

And i guess im also concerned that maybe i have a co-infection which is the cause of the symptoms that really bother me and maybe these meds dont work on that.

I guess all and all im just confused on if anything is actually progressing for the better.

And i guess at this point there is no way to know.

Posts: 47 | From Denver | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hal,

I had 2 gr of IV ceftriaxone a day for ten weeks. My improvement was not overnight. It was very gradual, and I still experienced days when it seemed like nothing helped. However, when I look back, my worst days now are nothing compared to my better days before and during IV treatment.

My picc line was placed by Infectious Diseases at a local hospital. They would only treat me for 28 days, so I found an LLMD that would continue to treat beyond the IDSA guidelines. I refused to allow the ID docs to remove my line, and I was able to keep it for 6 weeks more with the care of my LLMD.

I would recommend not letting the docs (or anyone else for that matter) remove your picc line until you can see your LLMD. It's possible that they will continue IV treatment. This way you could avoid another line placement. Just make sure to flush and heprinize the line daily, and follow good steryl practices.

You'll get better, it's just a slow process.

--------------------
Mountaingirl

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 138 | From West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halbowitz
Member # 9541

Thanks for the insight.

Maybe all i needed is a 'yea ive been there.. it does get better'

Also, Good idea on the PICC line.
I may just do that.

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on IV's for 58 days now and in many ways feel worse than I did before even starting IV's. It's due to a constant herx and flow of toxins in my body. Everynow and then I have a decent moment...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halbowitz
Member # 9541

Sorry to hear that.

Have you been on different meds or pretty much the same thing since you started treatment?

It really seems to be a toss up if one can recover from this disease.

At least from what ive read.

Disheartening.

sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not feeling better may just mean you are herxing which is a good thing. Herxing means the antibiotics are working. I believe that LD can be cured and so does my LLMD.

Just hang in there. There is no fast cure to this illness.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement