LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How long have you all been treating with abx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long have you all been treating with abx?
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 5 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi -

I've been in treatment for 2 1/2 years and really juggling abx to find ones that are tolerable and effective for my over-sensitized body.

I went to a gastro-doc today -- a well-meaning, Lyme-tolerant sort recommended by my LLMD. [The poor guy just got a bullseye rash two weeks ago and is taking Doxy.]

I've had GERD issues and went for a "check-up." I mentioned that my liver enzymes had spiked a month ago after one year on AMox, but that they were back down. I'm starting up on the Amox again.

He scared me when he said, "I know the alternative of not taking abx is bad since you have Lyme, but you know your body is not meant to be on them for years... these abx are highly dangerous. Your liver was signalling something to you and I'm not comfortable with that."

I said that there wasn't much of a choice around the situation.

So here I am after 2 1/2 years, further than I was but still very Lymie and struggling with abx. I have a feeling I'm in this for a longer haul...

So, how long have you all been treating?

Best to everyone,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you treating for Bart?
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hokie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should look into supplements to protect your liver. Milk thistle is one I know of.
Posts: 129 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many take a break for a couple of reasons.

One to let your body heal, two to allow the Lyme to come back then hit it again really hard with abx-shock treatment and third- sometimes people feel OK after stopping abx.

You can always start again. Also make sure you are targeting the right disease- lyme or co-infections.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on abx for 1 year.
Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie and hokie -

I have been preluding my way towards bart treatment. Tried Biaxin to couple potentially with Rifampin.

Biaxin made me itch all over and get violently depressed; LLMD didn't start me on Rifampin.

I can drink Milk Thistle Tea, but the supplements made me crazy with rapid heartbeat and agitation.

Can a person just take Rifampin alone or do you have to have another abx?

I'm on Amox and will be starting low doses of Malerone. Doing bloodwork every week to monitor liver enzymes.

BUT... how long have you both been treating?

Best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on antibiotics for long stretches....probably the longest without a break would be about 3 years. I have been on high doses and never seen problems with my liver enzymes.

I try not to come into contact with more toxins than I have to (eat pretty clean, etc), but other than that, maybe I'm just not as sensitive as others. Wish I could give you advice! Good luck.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four years now, and I take a TON of supplements. Hopefully they are helping.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wise-

I have been on treatment for 3 yrs-

My liver tests come back clean-
When I was taking Heavy doses of ABX
I drank 3 to 5 gallons of warm tea everyday
I am sure this is why my liver is in good shape-

-Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off and on for over 5 years now.

I asked about Bart treatment, because GERD is sort of a red flag symptom. But, if you are harboring LD, Bart and Babs, it may be best to go after the Babs first.

Perhaps, once that is conquered, you may have less sensitivity to the Bart meds? I did not treat with Rifampin, so can't answer that question for certain, however, I do know that some use Zith with it. I used primarily Levaquin, Mino and Septra for Bart.

BTW, Amoxy was really not helpful for me at all. If you have been on it continuously for a year, you may consider switching to something new.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is the lyme patient and we have treated for about 6 years. She was just starting to see alot of improvement when a doctor gave her steroids without us knowing and she spiraled out of control. She is just now starting to show some improvement again--3years after steroids.

She has had problems with liver off and on. The best antibiotic for her has been bicillin injections and I don't think they impact the liver, but I'm not totally sure about that.

She is just about to finish the homeopathic bart treatment Bejoy recommended for bart and it has been wonderful. I highly recommend it. She has herxed, but in comparison to other treatments, it has been very mild and alot safer.

We may do another round of the bart remedy or try another remedy by the same company--Deseret Biologicals.

This is just my opinion for what it is worth.

Posts: 177 | From God's Grace | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sparrow -

What was Bejoy's homeopathic Bart treatment?

Thanks,

Wiserforit

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement