LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » tiny red dots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tiny red dots
Stefanie
Member # 16084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stefanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have all of a sudden developed tiny mole-like red dots.

I don't ever remember having them before.

Does anybody else have these.

Are they from the Lyme or the abx?

Posts: 35 | From MN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have those, what abx are you on, did they start after treatment?
I had those, still do, and they are 90% gone, after levaquin. I think its bart.

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe petechiae or cherry angiomas.

Many, many things can cause both of these.

Tick-borne diseases may be a cause.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia is associated with petechiae but as already mentioned, so are many other things. It's caused by bleeding under the skin.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stefanie
Member # 16084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stefanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jenin98 - I am on doxycycline.

I have been on it for 16 days. Prior to that I was taking Ceftin for 18 days.

I know my husband has them, but it's weird they just appeared within the last couple of weeks.

Posts: 35 | From MN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 4 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please, please take a photo.. I will try to get a photo of my son's little dots so we can compare. [spinning smile]

I have an appointment with a dermatologist on Friday for him to see if they feel they are, or are not petechiae.
Devin is testing positive for Lyme and Babesia

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have these too and have a bart / lyme dx.

My LLMD is not certain if they are TBD related. I know Dr. J S believes them to be Bart related, but this is controversial.

Will say I did NOT have them until last several years, about the time first neuro sx's began.

Just another puzzle...cannot wait to start Bart tx, somethings gotta work! MBB3

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I think that they are bart.

I did use levaquin and HH capsules and rifapmin and I have the last one faded.

It became better on drugs chasing bart.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stefanie
Member # 16084

I am not sure I could take a photo, they are way tiny.

They are like your smallest mole, but red and even a bit raised like a mole.

If you apply pressure they do not dissapear.

nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyjohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thougth that those spots are common in babesia...i have a bunch and tested negative for bart but positive for babesia.

--------------------
do your best to educate the rest because
9 out of 10 doctors don't know jack about tick borne illnesses

Posts: 437 | From shawangunk mountains, ny | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dg0207
Member # 15623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dg0207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any pain associated with them? Shingles?

DG

Posts: 69 | From New York State | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MBB3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBB3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are painless...however I do have shingle-like burning from the neuropathy!!!

Another note, these papules do not 'blanche' when you press them like many skin blemishes, in other words they stay red/purple etc and don't lighten.

They are clearly broken blood-vessels or capillaries. Aparently these appear for MANY reasons, some of which are infections.

I have many and didn't have them before I started having Lyme/Bart sx's.

Posts: 247 | From The Country | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's funny. I have them too, and never associated them with what is going on in terms of my Lyme diagnosis.

However, they did start about 10-15 years ago, same time line as my Lyme/other tbis. So I'm guessing they are connected.

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to get these everytime I begin a new treatment. I used to think it was something "trying to get out" like a toxin or something but now I'm thinking it could be a bart related rash. I may just never know for sure!
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD called mine vascular rashes. They appeared soon after starting Rifampin for Bart.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tick Tock
Member # 15948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tick Tock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are like Mazou's reply.

I've had them for years, not in a cluster, just a few here and there and my dermatologist said it was nothing so I ignored them and it never dawned on me until I read this thread that my red dots (which happen to be the size of a tick) are related to my Lyme!

One more thing to add to the list.

Posts: 79 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tick Tock
Member # 15948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tick Tock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are like Mazou's reply.

I've had them for years, not in a cluster, just a few here and there and my dermatologist said it was nothing so I ignored them and it never dawned on me until I read this thread that my red dots (which happen to be the size of a tick) are related to my Lyme!

One more thing to add to the list.

Posts: 79 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cherry angiomas like you describe can be attributed to Babesia.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have these also. Slightly raised and mole-like is a good description. Sprinkled about, but only on the lower stomach area. Showed them to the PCP. Can't remember what she said - but that they were nothing noteworthy.

Good Day to You
Peedie

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my son's are so small that it will be difficult to get a photo. I do not think his are raised... and many are surrounded by paler skin... with the dots in the center. He has them on hands, arms, knees, stomach and face.
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe vasculitis, possibly associated with tickborne illness or auto-immune disease...but get a blood count taken with a platelet level as bleeding under the skin (or anywhere else) is nothing to fool with.
Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Stefanie,

Are you taking any milk thistle to support your liver? These spots may also indicate that your liver is a bit toxic.

I get these and use the milk thistle daily, just in case..

Blessings,

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son went to the dermatologist this morning... She said that petechaie will not blanch went pressed (just like a bruise will not disappear when pressed).

This dermatologist did a punch biopsy to try to better classify what is going on... some type of vascular event.

Also the dermatologist told us that the 'stretch marks' on my son's back, are in fact true stretch marks and NOT bartonella.

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mjbucuk:
Also the dermatologist told us that the 'stretch marks' on my son's back, are in fact true stretch marks and NOT bartonella.

Of course s/he's going to say that. A derm is hardly Lyme Literate. Unless, of course, this one is, but I doubt it.

I'd definitely ask a Lyme Literate doctor if they were stretch marks or Bartonella. They are more knowledgable to give you the right answer.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry that you are having this experience with your young son.

Having had 16 years experience with a child with Lyme and Co Infections, IMO you are wasting you time and putting your son through unnecessary stress taking him from MD to MD trying to find out about something that is Lyme related.

If it isn't bleeding, broken or life threatening don't bother. Take him to your LLMD, the other Doctors are clueless.

The red mole looking things are babesia related. Tiny red spots that are not raised, I have no clue.

After 16 years of dealing with Lyme and Co, I don't get too excited about rashes on and under the skin anymore. Have seen many come and go.

Unless of couse it is red/purple blotches under the skin...........THEN get to an MD.

Hugs,

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our first llmd in NJ told us tht the red dots
were Bartonella related. He saw them in most of
his Bart patients. At the time he was studying
Bartonella, and was and I am sure still is
very knowledable on the subject.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
njlymemom, have sent you a PM ... was hoping to send rash photo to the NJ Doctor office so they could confer with Dr Jones... Dr Jones says Babesia or Bartonella
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have tons of them on my stomach and legs. i didn't have them before lyme that i can remember.

i have bart. am on treatment now with biaxin, flagyl, and cipro.

i hope they do away. i hate wearing shorts...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are my photos is that what you guys have too?

These are all photos from my legs.

I am very hairy so it is hard to see the detail of them.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3640/200807181404de3.jpg
http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200807181405kw3.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7392/200807181406kk5.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200807181408ir9.jpg

I have one my belly button as well as on on my right hip, another one on my right ear, and sometimes I get them on my arms.

The majority are on my legs though.

Most of these never seem to go away.

Without anything on them to try to treat them they form little scabs that grow a bit in size and then don't get any larger at a certain point.

I've tried tea tree oil, neosporin, grapefruit seed extract, and oregano oil.

All these result in a size reduction of the red spots, but they never go away.

I have some on my legs that have been with me in the same exact location for over a year.

Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Well those don't look like cherry angiomas to me.

Kind of look like what I have on my foot that only shows up after a hot shower or being in something hot.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mj - i sent you a pm

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement