LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » No Olive Leaf Extract w/abx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Olive Leaf Extract w/abx?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read something that said Olive Leaf Extract can deactivate abx but I know many on here take it with abx. Has anyone else heard this? I just bought some and was ready to start taking it but not sure what to do now.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Can you pinpoint where you read that? Maybe copy and paste and add the link?

I would want to see the source and their thought process before NOT using something that sure seems to be vital to me, personally.

[edited to add: this is not meant to sound snippy. I don't know everything - and I would really like to know if someone says this or that and why so I can weigh my decision. ]

--

I have taken Olive Leaf Extract with abx (different time of day, though) and it helped tremendously - and totally - to avoid candida.

The longest abx I was on was for 2 months. Any short courses and I also have used OLE. I would never consider abx without it.

My formula also has other ingredients to help clear toxic heat and protect the liver.

-

[ 17. July 2008, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nobody
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think olive leaf extract is a great co-therapy.
Posts: 111 | From Nowhere | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJPII
Member # 5876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJPII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be very interested to learn about this as well. A friend recently heard that Olive Leaf extract can be good therapy to prevent Gallbladder issues when taking Rocephin

Thanks

Posts: 77 | From Morris County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler what brand/type do you use?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura,
My LLMD has put me on olive leaf extract, in addition to the abx and some other stuff.

He even said it is fine to take the olive leaf extract at the same time as my abx.

My dad some research for me when I first started taking the olive leaf extract, and I recall one website said something about not taking it with abx. But I know my LLMD is more knowledgeable than most websites, so I disregarded it.

Hope we answered your question!

Erica

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

http://www.nutridirect.co.uk/olive-leaf.html

Above is the website. It doesn't say why. It's just posted at the bottom as a little note. I reread it and it says it may inactivate abx not that it definitely does.

Erica,

The fact that your LLMD is having you take it is enough for me. [Smile]

I'm interested in it b/c of it's antiviral and antifungal (and antibacterial of course!) properties. I have high EBV and mycoplasma and would like to keep candida at bay as well.

I plan to start taking it soon but the last couple of days I've felt like a million bucks after 3 wks. straight of feeling awful so I want to enjoy it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura,

When I started olive leaf extract 2.5 weeks ago, I had also been feeling good for the 1st time in a long time. Within 24 hours of taking my 1st capsules, I was exhausted and felt terrible.

I'm still feeling terrible, but have also started enula for my babesia in the meantime, which my LLMD said should cause a major herx.

So, if you start olive leaf extract, be prepared for a herx. But if you continue to feel bad, you can always stop it and see if you feel better.

Do you have an LLMD? Have you discussed olive leaf extract with your doctor?

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

My LLMD is not an ILADS member. She is very good but definitely does not integrate a lot of the things that ILADS LLMD's do. She does accept insurance though which is a huge factor for me. She doesn't do a lot of combination therapy but diagnoses clinically and does treat long term.

I will ask about olive leaf extract at my next appointment in Aug. I have high EBV levels so I asked her if she uses anti-virals and she doesn't. That's why I was looking for something I could take on my own in addition to abx to hit viruses.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

lauraj- I can't get the link to work

http://www.nutridirect.co.uk/olive-leaf.html - is this right ?

laura - also know that it is not my LLMD but an LL ND who has me using this. I am not on abx but when I have been I have used this. I have never been on an ILADS protocol, though.

I do not have the definitive word on this but will post some stuff I've gathered on it. It still may not answer the main question, though.

===========

Angelica,

I use Myrolea B by White Tiger. As a support, I am impressed with it.

I've been off everything for several months so, if you recall that I've posted being worse it is not because of that but because I'm really not doing much right now AND my downstair's neighbor's snoring is taking a toll.

I will soon figure out the next step (as there is a new income braket to consider). I also wondered how I'd do on my own.
My guess is, I'm not done working on this.

Later, I'll come back and post some links to that and an article.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

olive leaf extract - 49 abstracts

one of those:

http://tinyurl.com/2ref85

Molecules. 2007 May 26;12(5):1153-62.

Phenolic compounds and antimicrobial activity of olive (Olea europaea L. Cv. Cobran�osa) leaves.

Pereira AP, Ferreira IC, Marcelino F, Valent�o P, Andrade PB, Seabra R, Estevinho L, Bento A, Pereira JA.

CIMO/Escola Superior Agr�ria, Instituto Polit�cnico de Bragan�a, Campus Sta Apol�nia, Apt. 1172, 5301-855 Bragan�a, Portugal.

We report the determination of phenolic compounds in olive leaves by reversed-phase HPLC/DAD, and the evaluation of their in vitro activity against several microorganisms that may be causal agents of human intestinal and respiratory tract infections, (namely)

namely gram positive (Bacillus cereus, B. subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus), gram negative bacteria (Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae) and fungi (Candida albicans and Cryptococcus neoformans).

Seven phenolic compounds were identified and quantified: caffeic acid, verbascoside, oleuropein, luteolin 7-O-glucoside, rutin, apigenin 7-O-glucoside and luteolin 4'-O-glucoside.

At low concentrations olive leaves extracts showed an unusual combined antibacterial and antifungal action, which suggest their great potential as nutraceuticals, particularly as a source of phenolic compounds.

PMID: 17873849 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Many NDs and L.Ac.s carry this.

www.acuatlanta.net/myroleab-tablets-p-22018.html

Name: Myrolea-B

Manufacturer: White Tiger

Myrolea-B is also known as: Olive leaf extract with Chinese herbs

Note: all ingredients are EXTRACTS with the OLE at 15% oleuropein.

Dosage: 2 tabs : 3X/day (one of my NDs suggested I double the dose at times)

Lonicera Flower 23.8%;

Forsythia 23.8%;

Olive Leaf 23.8%

Scute 19.1%

Chebule (terminalia) 9.5%

http://chineseherbs.net/article_info-articles_id-2.html

Myrolea-B (White Tiger) is a simple formulation of highly concentrated extracts from four Chinese herbs and one Western herb.

The Chinese herbs include forsythia and lonicera, two of the key ingredients of Ilex 15 (and the main antiviral ingredients of Yin Qiao Jie Du Plan), thus boosting the dosage of these essential ingredients.

Myrolea-B also contains the antiviral agents scute (huangqin) and terminalia (hezi). The Western herb in this formulation is olive leaf, which is one of the primary anti-viral herbs derived from the European tradition.

text partially from:

www.itmonline.org/arts/flu.htm

==================

"Clearing away heat and toxic material" is part of the function of the additional ingredients beside OLE.

It's historical background:

www.itmonline.org/arts/shuang.htm

SHUANGHUANGLIAN:

Potent Anti-Infection Combination of Lonicera, Forsythia, and Scute
- by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine - 2003

Shuanghuanglian (SHL for short) is a modern formula that was devised in the 1960s to treat a variety of infections.

It is comprised of the alcohol-water extracts of three herbs: lonicera (shuanghua, often called jinyinhua), scute (huangqin), and forsythia (lianqiao). . . .

. . . One of the early preparations of the SHL was a tablet made of equal proportions of the extracts of each herb. This was used to treat leptospirosis, a disorder caused by a spirochete bacteria, related to the organism that causes Lyme disease.

Leptospirosis causes initial symptoms of fever and chills, headache, and muscle ache (especially in the shoulders); these are consistent with "flu-like" symptoms described for the onset of many acute infections.

In a 1971 report, the formula was described as being made in 500 mg tablets derived from 3.7 grams of the crude herbs, and being administered in doses of 10-15 tablets (thus, equivalent to the extract of 37-55 grams of herbs) every 6 hours (1), a very high dosage.

. . . Recently, Shuanghuanglian has been applied successfully to treatment of Coxsackie B3,

. . . The general indications for SHL . . . are "relieving the exterior syndrome, clearing away heat and toxic material," and its indications are "treatment of fever, cough, and sore throat that arise from wind-heat syndrome."

It is said to have "a good action in treating upper respiratory tract infection, tonsillitis, laryngopharyngitis, pneumonia, acute enteritis, viral dysentery, etc., when caused by virus or bacterial infection."

- full article at link above.

=================

[ 18. July 2008, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

tickled1
Member # 14257

Keebler,

I had a hard time getting the link to work also. Sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't.....I just tried it again and it won't work at all. Dunno

It didn't give any info as to why not to take w/abx. It was honestly one sentence at the end as a note that said it could inactivate abx or something like that.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement