LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Arthritis: Diagnosis and Management From a Rheumatologist's Perspective CME/CE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Arthritis: Diagnosis and Management From a Rheumatologist's Perspective CME/CE
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING: The misinformation contained herein, may evoke a need to vomit. Something here smells bad, VERY bad. [shake]

There is Continuing Medical Education Credit being offered to doctors for studying this. [Eek!] [puke]

Lyme Arthritis: Diagnosis and Management From a Rheumatologist's Perspective CME/CE

Release Date: January 17, 2008; Valid for credit through January 17, 2009

Author's Disclosures(listed off to the side where no one will likely read):

Robert I. Fox, MD, PhD
Disclosure: Robert I. Fox, MD, PhD, has disclosed that he has received grants for educational activities from and served as an advisor or consultant to Allergan, Biogen/IDEC, and Genentech.

I researched a little further:
Genentech's research organization focuses its efforts on basic and applied science in Oncology, Immunology, Disorders of Tissue Growth and Repair, Neuroscience, and Infectious Disease.

There is a clear clinical need in each of these disease areas, and their underlying biology is compelling and tractable.

Also from the Genentech site:
Novel Therapies for Unmet Medical Needs

Genentech's goal is to deliver innovative medicines to patients with serious or life-threatening medical conditions. Since its founding in 1976, the company's research organization has focused its drug discovery efforts on therapies that would fill unmet needs.

Today, Genentech manufactures and commercializes multiple biotherapeutics for critical medical conditions in the areas of oncology, immunology, and disorders of tissue growth and repair -- giving Genentech one of the leading product portfolios in the biotech industry.

Wikipedia - Biogen -Biogen Idec, Inc. (NASDAQ: BIIB) is a biotechnology company specializing in drugs for neurological disorders, autoimmune disorders and cancer. The company was formed in 2003 by the merger of Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Biogen and San Diego, California-based Idec Pharmaceuticals.

From Wikipedia:
Allergan, Inc., is a global specialty pharmaceutical company. Their product ranges include ophthalmic pharmaceuticals, dermatology products, and neurological products.

from Allergan's Pipeline:

Neurosciences

For almost 20 years, BOTOX� (Botulinum Toxin Type A) has been the foundation for Allergan's global leadership position in neuromodulator therapy and neurosciences.

During this time, Allergan has committed approximately $800 million in BOTOX� research and clinical development.

Today, the development of new applications for BOTOX� is continuing in new areas where unmet medical needs are greatest.

Allergan is moving forward with Phase III studies for chronic migraine, and we are continuing to conduct Phase II studies in post-stroke spasticity in the United States.

We have also initiated a clinical program for BOTOX� in the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy and have begun working on a next-generation BOTOX� with more selective action targeted to specific cell receptors for pain management and spasticity treatment.

Beyond BOTOX�, clinical trials are underway to investigate a unique class of alpha adrenergic agonists for neuropathic pain - an area of unmet need for non-sedating and non-addicting compounds.

Phase 3 Study: BOTOX� Chronic Migraine

Chronic Migraine

Chronic migraine is a progressive and highly disabling headache disorder characterized by headaches that occur on 15 or more days each month. It affects about 7 million Americans.1

Allergan is supporting this research because currently available preventive therapies have limitations and are widely underutilized among those who need them most.

New treatment approaches are urgently needed to lessen the burden of this serious neurological condition.

1. Castillo J, Munoz P, Guitera V, Pascual J. Epidemiology of chronic daily headache in the general population. Headache 1999. 39:190:196

Phase 2 Study: Alpha Agonist Neuropathic Pain
Industry Partner - ACADIA Pharmaceuticals

Neuropathic Pain

Neuropathic pain is chronic pain usually accompanied by tissue injury.

Often, the nerve fibers themselves might be damaged, dysfunctional, or injured, sending incorrect signals to other pain centers.

The impact of a nerve fiber injury includes a change in nerve function both at the site of injury and areas around the injury.

Some common causes of neuropathic pain include amputation, back, leg, and hip problems, cancer chemotherapy, diabetes, facial nerve problems, multiple sclerosis, and others.

Symptoms include shooting pain, burning pain, tingling, and numbness.

Neuropathic pain often responds poorly to standard pain treatments1, which is why Allergan is supporting research in this area.

1. The Cleveland Clinic. Available at: www.clevelandclinic.org. Accessed June 15, 2007

[confused]

Are these disorders manifestations of chronic or untreated Lyme Disease?

Hmmmmmmm......Can YOU say "Conflict of Interest"? [bonk]

[ 28. July 2008, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read the CME/CE, it perpetuates the IDSA views that lead to misdiagnoses/improper treatment, thus the need to vomit.

I decided to follow the conflict trail after having read it.

Those companies stand to make a great deal of money from misdiagnosed/improperly treated Lyme Disease.

[Frown]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you click on this above:
"Lyme Arthritis: Diagnosis and Management From a Rheumatologist's Perspective CME/CE" ?

I posted the link there.

You may have to sign up, I don't recall.

It cites "Feder et al". The part about "post-lyme syndrome", IMO really sounds like a big sissy tirade, that IDSA has become notorious for.

They think that just by repeatedly denying that active disease can exist after a pittance of treatment, they can make their nonsense true.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Sorry for the confusion.

I just fixed the link so it should take you right to the article now, instead of the CME page.

--------------------

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Throughly disgusting! Total propaganda. It's the brainwashing of the medical profession.

It also shows that they see us as a force to be reckoned with!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the most fantastic assortment of lies I have ever seen in print, masquerading as a "continuing education" article.

There are so many things wrong with it I don't know where to start.

I am immediately intrigued by this part:

quote:
"False positives in fibromyalgia. Concern about misdiagnosis and treatment of fibromyalgia as if it were Lyme disease led the American College of Rheumatology, in collaboration with the ISDA, to perform a cost-benefit analysis of antibiotic treatment for such patients.[1,6]

The incidence of false-positive serologic results for Lyme disease (eg, weak enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay [ELISA] results with nondiagnostic immunoblot reactivity) in patients from endemic areas with nonspecific myalgia or fatigue was 4 times that of true-positive results.[48]

Treatment of serologic false-positive patients with parenteral antibiotics costs $86,221 for each true-positive patient treated, resulting in drug toxicity in many of these patients."

First off, I don't believe it. They're claiming that fibromyalgia patients have high rates of false positive lyme tests. Yeah -- duh -- how 'bout cause they actually have lyme??

Next, they claim that can't possibly treat these 'false positives' because treatment costs approximately $86,000 per patient just for antibiotics?

Did I miss something?

Where is this so-called study about these 'false positives' -- ? I see the footnote number but no corresponding study. I want it. Fine, so I just want to mock it, but I really do want it. I've never seen this bizarre claim.

It's especially hard to believe that in this day and age of the internet and word of mouth, there exists somewhere a whole body of fibromyalgia patients who knew they had positive lyme tests but agreed to disregard them (and continue suffering) on the advice of their retarded rheumatologists.

Amazing.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the real story

Treatment of serologic false-positive patients with parenteral antibiotics costs $86,221 for each true-positive patient treated, resulting in drug toxicity in many of these patients."

OTHERWISE if you treat Lyme it could cost AN INSURANCE COMPANY $86K. Wonder where they got this number, there is only one place. From an insurance company database.

Second how does $86K, result in DRUG TOXICITY, their conclusion in the above sentence. Or do they really mean to say insurance claim toxicity.

All the more reason for early intervention and treatment.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

YES - MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!!!

(ROFLMAO)

I realize that this is really nothing to laugh at because the incredible harm that many will suffer as a result of this atrocious nonsense is truly a crime against humanity.

I still can't help but laugh because it's SO preposterous that it's almost comical. Where DID they get their information from?

I'll bet that $86K really isn't that bad compared to a lifetime of antidepressants, sleep medications, pain meds, MS treatments, and "drugs for neurological disorders, autoimmune disorders and cancer".

What happens to Gentech if all those patients start Txing with ABX and therefore have no use for those drugs in their pipeline? Do you know how much they must have laid out already, counting on a big-time return when those drugs are marketed?

How do we fix this?
Who do we complain to?
What studies do we need to site, to what entity to make them withdraw this CME course?

HOW CAN THEY OFFER CREDIT FOR LEARNING THIS BS PROPAGANDA?!!!!

[cussing]

Michele said: "retarded rheumatologists" [lol] [Big Grin]

[ 29. July 2008, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement