LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LED Light Therapy-dose,penetration, safety...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LED Light Therapy-dose,penetration, safety...
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://heelspurs.com/led.html
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: The light therapy helmet for dementia and Alzheimers is a scam. Infrared and red light do not penetrate the skull.

Apparently, this isn't true. It does penetrate bone at the correct wavelength.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading the article "LED Light Therapy" wrote by Scott Roberts (see above link, and found it very useful to understand the principle of LED light therapy including infrared therapy(Bionic 880 also, I hope), and I highly recommend it. It's long, so I am reposting here section by section and hope it's helping :

Introduction

Red and near-infrared light immediately relieves pain and speeds healing. It does this by "kick-starting" cells into immediately creating more ATP (cellular energy) and increasing DNA and RNA activity after 6 days of daily use. The positive effects occur in injured cells, but there is no benefit to healthy cells. In the past, lasers were thought to be needed to provide the light, but now it's known that LEDs provide the same benefit. Even LEDs are not always needed because the noon-time summer Sun has almost as much energy in the beneficial wavelengths (600 to 900 nm) as typeical LED devices (30 mW/cm^2). The Sun can treat the whole body at once with up to 300 Watts of 600-900 nm light, but an LED device can treat only a small area. Halogen and incandescent lights can also be used, but they have more unnecessary far-infrared heat.

Sunlight is the best light therapy treatment for large areas unless you have $6,000 to pay for one of my full-torso and thigh arrays of 6,000 LEDs. Sunscreen and two mirrors placed on each side of an injury almost triples the amount of light from the Sun. The mirrors reduce the time required from 1.5 hours to 30 minutes for injuries just beneath the skin. For basic skin health, only 15 minutes without mirrors is needed. For injuries 3/4 inch beneath the skin (shoulders, knees, ankles), an hour with mirrors is needed. Exposing injured tissue to too much light therapy will elminate the positive effects. Adding two mirrors provides up 40 mW/cm^2 at the ideal wavelengths which have been shown to be 610-625, 660-690, 750-770, and 815-860 nm (see below).

LED light arrays are a means to provide these best wavelengths without heating the tissue or exposing the skin to UVA or UVB. A company may claim that lasers and pulse rates are important, but the only important things are the total amount of light energy and the proper wavelengths (880 nm is a bad choice). Bright Sun when used with mirrors and sunscreen is as beneficial as most LED devices. The biggest advantages of LEDs over sunlight are that they can be applied at any time and a cumbersome set up of mirrors is not needed.

Halogen lights emit a spectrum of light that is very similar to sunlight (see this chart or this) but with more unnecessary far-infrared heat and not as much UV. Like bright sun, halogen provides an inexpensive source of "healing light energy" in the 600 to 900 nm wavelengths. Incandescent and heat lamps also have sun-like spectrums (based on black-body radiation) but their light is shifted even more towards the far-infrared and therefore have too much heat. Far-infrared is blocked and absorbed by water in the skin which causes the skin to get hot. Application time for a halogen is 20 minutes and placed as close to the skin as possible without the heat being too much and following with ice. Water in a zip-lock bag or glass (3 to 4 inches in diameter) can be used to block the far-infrared heat. Sunglasses are required to protect the eyes because the blue and violet wavelengths of halogen lights are very harmful, just like the Sun.

Heat lamps have long been used to reduce pain. It was usually believed the heat was what was beneficial. Now we know the near-infrared portion of heat lamps may provide the greatest benefit, despite the problems caused by too much heat in the far-infrared.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does he say 880 nm is a bad choice? I think there is some good info but he's made a couple of false or incorrect statements about the subject...

Take it for what it is.

It's best to read actual studies about the subject. There are many from Eastern Europe & the former Soviet Union.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niek
Member # 16403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niek         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave6002:
Red and near-infrared light immediately relieves pain and speeds healing...
Sunlight is the best light therapy treatment for large areas ...
LED light arrays are a means to provide these best wavelengths without heating the tissue or exposing the skin to UVA or UVB.

most of the text makes sense, although I have my doubts regarding stimulation of ATP/DNA activity etc. only in injured cells. That would require a pretty strange biochemical mechanism ...

Keep in mind that our bodies and skin are adapted to sunlight (although a bit less in current humans and when considering the hole in the Ozone Layer). I agree that eliminating the risk of UV A/B could be good, but I wouldn't be too sure about the safety of using infrared LED arrays instead, certainly not if they are used at very high dosage or for prolonged time periods. It is unnatural, and that almost always means unpredictable side effects.

Posts: 29 | From Netherlands | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the healspurs article. He's selling his own machine to cure foot problems. He doesn't seem to quote his sources very well, so I'm not too impressed with his info against 880.

I'll read whatever research I can find and make up my own mind. It's tough to use vendors as info sources, although a few will point you in the right direction.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far infrared penetrates bones:

http://www.imagiscape.ca/blog/neuro-rehabilitation/alzheimers/infrared-therapy-could-regenerate-cells-reverse-dementia

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17162656

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/proceedings/nirs_workshop.htm (second paragraph)

It also stimulates osteoblasts = Bone building cells which arise from osteoprogenitor cells

located in the periosteum and the bone marrow.

Go here:

http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/nasa_study.aspx

And then click on the other links:

NASA Study

Medical College of Wisconsin/NASA

NASA

Healthlink

NASA News Release

Pubmed: Hens exposed to the 880nM wavelength did NOT lay eggs. I suspect because no shell (calcium) could be made...the mother hen's calcium (circulating level) was decreased.

In lyme...that is not a bad thing...it is going to help rebuild the bones...and putting bartonella on a "diet".

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

re: It is unnatural, and that almost always means unpredictable side effects.

I think most of our lifestyle in the Western world is unnatural... if you do something "natural" like go for a walk in the woods - we can get a life altering, almost incurable disease like Lyme...

Is sitting in front of a computer, TV, movie screen "natural"?

Is going to the supermarket "natural"?

There are studies that suggest that using infrared LEDs are safe. Probably alot safer than over the counter pain medicine like Tylenol...

I'm not sure how many people notice but some force out there is spraying the atmosphere with aluminum & barium particles.

Some people think there may be other things in these "chemtrails". If this is the case, we may actually need some of the light that is being blocked out.

You can see them most everyday in airplanes making lines in the sky. Is this "natural"? What do you suppose the side effects from being sprayed with barium & aluminum might be?

Do you think Lyme is "natural"? Take a look at the book "Lab 257 by Michael Carroll.

How about long courses of multiple antibiotics... how "natural" is that?

Maybe I should just sit here & smoke opium all day to relieve the pain...? That's fairly natural.

PS - I'm saying this "tongue in cheek". I hope you won't take offense. I like a good debate. LOL

Niek
Member # 16403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niek         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:
re: It is unnatural, and that almost always means unpredictable side effects.

I think most of our lifestyle in the Western world is unnatural... if you do something "natural" like go for a walk in the woods - we can get a life altering, almost incurable disease like Lyme...

yes, our Western lifestyle is unnatural and it shows in the side effects [Frown]

I heard about the Lab 257 stories but I'm convinced Borrelia is natural, they are simply very old organisms. I have seen no convincing proof that Borrelias were genetically engineered to be more harmful, thus causing the Lyme outbreaks (and with the limited genetic engineering tools of those days it sounds extremely unlikely to me - even in the early 80's when I did genetic engineering that was way too complicated).

My guess is that most of the change over the last 30-50 years was probably not in Borrelia, but in humans (more vulnerable to disease as a result of toxic chemicals, electromagnetic radiation, diet change, all kinds of other stress).

Posts: 29 | From Netherlands | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

You really should read Lab 257. It's not crackpot stuff. The author is a respected lawyer who researched it.

I live near Plum Island & Lyme CT. It's very possible.

A friend of mine (a photographer) had a photographic assignment to take pictures on Plum Island. There are monkeys that live on Plum Island. How do you suppose there are monkeys living on a secluded island in NY where there is a gov't research lab? Monkeys do not naturally live in NY State.

Also look into "Operation Paperclip". It's documented that Nazi scientists were recruited by the US after WW2 so the US would have access to the scientific studies & work that the Nazis did during that time.

There's more but I don't want to overload you...

Many people think this occurred naturally but I don't agree. There's alot of evidence that Lyme, mycoplasmas, Gulf War Syndrome, HIV, etc. are man made.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement