LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can anyone reccomend adrenal support supplements?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can anyone reccomend adrenal support supplements?
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it seems like my adrenals are shot. Does anyone know of any good brands of adrenal support supplements? I am on the limited cowden but am not taking the adrenal formula. Im not sure if thats any good.

Ive heard of things like licorice root can help, but i dont know where to buy it or what brand.

I dont know if i would ever want to supplement cortisol because im scared of using steroids. Can herbs help get the adrenals working instead?

Ive never had my cortisol levels checked and probably should have.

Things just got bad after i got sick a few weeks ago and ive been so drained. I seem to get every virus going around and my body temp is low. I seem to have alot of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue. So im just kinda guessing but i think thats whats going on.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that the herb Eleuthero (aka, siberian ginseng) will help with that. Siberian ginseng is not actually "ginseng," the nickname is deceiving.

I decided to take the summer off from the commitments I had, and so was able to stop drinking coffee. (I can't do anything without coffee!.....well, now I am starting to).

So, I believe cutting out the caffeine for awhile helps the adrenals heal.

[ 20. July 2008, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Hoosiers51 ]

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After trying some herbal supports which did nothing, I got on the internet and searched for the remedy I have been reading about for years: dessicated adrenal.

At the site iHerb.com they sell Nutricology brand Adrenal Cortex organic glandular. I felt an improvement soon after starting, just one pill per day.

A health newsletter I get recommends staring off with 3 adrenal pills 3 times a day, but I opted to go with just one pill per day.

I tried Rhodiola, which is what the health food store sold me: it is a revver-upper and I was wide awake all night, on a small dose of 60 mg. taken 12 hours before I went to bed.

There is a list of adrenal support which I had found somewhere on the internet, which includes adrenal extracts, vitamins, minerals. Research adrenal support here on LymeNet and see if you can find the posts about adrenals ... seems like we discussed this within this year.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tried gingseng.

boy, did it give me a headache. i had to stop it.

also, tried gingo and it was worse...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Do you have a LLMD who works with you on a protocol? Might you have a LL ND, too ?

It's best to discuss this with your doctor- &/or read up on it first rather than just begin taking something.

After that, one point that I believe is most important, is to avoid anything that promises to "boost" energy or adrenal function. You want solid support, but gentle, consistent and nothing to toss you off balance.

Ginseng would be too strong. Siberian Ginseng, however, is not a true ginseng. And there are many types of Ginseng: American, Korean, Panax, etc. They are all different.

And, as Randibear mentioned, Gingko was not right for her - I also find gingko far too stimulating for my system.

Hawthorn is one I love - and it helps my cardiac function, too.

Some of the herbs for adrenal support include:

* ashwagandha,

* cordyceps,

* schizandra (schisandra),

* Siberian Ginseng,

* Rhodiola,

* Licorice Root (& DGL is less stimulating)

* Hawthorn (Crataegus) - more for the heart, but helpful to reduce stress by supporting the heart.

You can read about some of the fundamentals - and search individual herbs - here:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/
The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tilltoson)

This book is not at all about lyme, but it explains basics and, I think, is the first place to start.

Then, the new book by Kenneth Singleton, MD "The Lyme Disease Solution" is wonderful. You can find it at Amazon.

Since you can't just treat adrenal function without considering lyme/TBD and your overall protocol, I see this book as essential. It discusses the value of both pharmaceutical and plant based treatment - used in combination.

Buhner's "Healing Lyme" also detailed much from a strictly plant medicine concept as does the book by Zhang "Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine" -

The Singleton goes into lengthy detail and he has quite a bit about adrenal function and explains Siberian Ginseng in his book. Buhner mentions only Siberian Ginseng and Dr. Z's protocol suggests only cordyceps.

I just got a great book about Rhodiola - I'll come back and post the title - Rhodiola, though, would not be one to begin with. It can be a little stimulating and may be best as a very small fraction of a formula.

PubMed is a place to look, too.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Ashwagandha - 156 abstracts

Ashwagandha, adrenal - one

adrenal, herbal - 133 abstracts

cordyceps, adrenal - 3 abstracts

Siberian Ginseng - 205 abstracts

Rhodiola - 213 abstracts

=======

Siberian Ginseng might be one you'd want to begin with in addition to Vitamin C and Vitamin B-5 (and a B-complex).

Some people need more help than that and do a very low dose Cortef (NOT the same as steroids which can be dangerous with lyme).

Glandular support might also be considered (I have found that too stimulating, but others say the herbs were not enough).

======================================

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
by Kenneth B. Singleton (Author), James A. Duke (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see 9 customer reviews.

-

[ 20. July 2008, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

-

http://tinyurl.com/2stbql

SIBERIAN ELEUTHERO ROOT BARK

Latin: Eleutherococcus senticosus

WHAT IT DOES:

Siberian eleuthero (formerly called Siberian ginseng) is sweet and slightly pungent in taste, and neutral in action. It nourishes the adrenal glands, supports liver metabolism and increases energy and endurance against stress and pollution.

RATING: Gold

SAFETY ISSUES: None known.

In rare instances it may over-stimulate or slightly raise blood pressure. There is a remote possibility that it's mild anti-platelet aggregation effects might interact with blood-thinning medications.

STARTING DOSAGE:

* Powdered 5:1 extract: 500-100 mg two to three times per day

* 1:2 tincture: 30 drops three times per day.

Siberian eleuthero is the herb for which the word adaptogen was coined. It is one of the medicines we use most frequently in the clinic, because it really helps fight stress-induced fatigue.

It increases general vitality, strength, endurance and the ability to overcome the effects of long-term illness. We prefer it to ginseng root in sensitive individuals who may find the stronger herb too hot or overly stimulating to the nervous system.

Siberian eleuthero has been shown to delay stress reactions during the alarm phase of stress.

When we are alarmed, our adrenal glands release corticosteroids and adrenaline that trigger the fight or flight reaction. If these hormones are depleted by short- or long-term stress, we develop adrenal exhaustion.

Siberian eleuthero delays the onset of the exhaustive phase by causing a more efficient release of these hormones into our system (Pearce et al., 1982; Brunner et al., 1990; Fulder, 1980; reported in Farnsworth, 1989).

Several negative studies have been published since the original Russian research (Lewis et al., 1983, Dowling et al. 1996). However, my own personal experience and that of my patients shows Siberian ginseng to be very effective in a majority of those who take it.

I have spoken with suppliers, and they tell me that much of the Siberian eleuthero used in America is made from the whole root, while the original Russian studies were performed using the root bark.

If you find a good supply, the results should be immediately obvious. Consistent personal results always trump poorly designed scientific studies.

Research Highlights

* In a placebo-controlled study of the effects of a Siberian eleuthero extract on the immune system of healthy individuals, researchers reported ``a drastic increase in the absolute number of immunocompetent cells, with an especially pronounced effect on T lymphocytes.'' In addition, they observed a general enhancement of the activation state in T-lymphocytes (Bohn et al., 1987).

* According to translations of original Russian research, Siberian eleuthero has the ability to increase our endurance and capacity to work by improving the ability of the liver and adrenals to regulate hormonal levels, dispose of lactic acid, and regulate blood sugar (reported in Farnsworth et al., 1989).

* Russian telegraph operator were able to increase the number of messages they could handle by taking about 60 drops of a Siberian eleuthero tincture daily (reported in Farnsworth et al., 1989).

* Factory workers taking about 60 drops of a Siberian eleuthero tincture daily recorded a 50% reduction in illness and a 40% reduction in lost work days (reported in Farnsworth et al., 1989).

click tab on left to see references

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has me on nutramedix adrenal support

Not sure if it's helping or not, but I think all the nutramedix products are good

Just not sure if my adrenals are a big cause of my symptoms

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.vrp.com

Vitamin Research Products - has a wonderful collection of articles to search.

While they do sell supplements, I find their articles and research to be top notch. Each article offers many good citations and they usually employ thorough research methods.

You can read about adrenal function at this site - and you might choose their products or look elsewhere.

They have written extensively about adrenal issues over the years - with 26 articles in their library.

Here's one:

www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art2310&zTYPE=2

Adaptogens: Nature's Powerful Energy Enhancers - - By Nieske Zabriskie, ND

- Full article at link.

-

jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everybody i really aprreciate the responses. I just found that i had some yogi tea siberian ginseng with astralgus and licorice root in it so im gona try that for the time being.

Im gona talk to my dr about the adrenal issue tho and see what he thinks.

I know the are shot from the lyme and the fact that i keep getting sick with cold and flus. Plus ive just been really stressed with everything.

Ill take a look on iherb as well

Thanks,
Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Teas can be a good place to begin and might just be enough. In a tea, as a small portion of a blend, astralgus will probably be fine. Depending upon where you are in treatment, when you buy your next batch of tea you might consider this:

For chronic and late-stage lyme patients, Buhner cautions against using astralgus as a full force supplement.

Its use is great in acute and new cases of lyme, however, as he details in his book.

-

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, there are a variety of good glandulars for adrenal support. Dr. Wilson (the adrenal guy) even has a few formulations. Some recommend some sea salt in the morning too.

Cutting the caffeine is good but I can't seem to do this [Smile]

If you ultimately need cortisol treament, you may want to check out the book Safe Use of Cortisol by William McK Jefferies MD

It would probably be better to treat Lyme if it's there and see which hormones bounce back...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some useful info about adrenal fatigue -

www.womentowomen.com - Adrenal Fatigue

http://www.tinyurl.com/65a6zt

I didn't know too much about this. I think I have this, too.

It seems that there is an emotional, psychological, & lifestyle component to it, as well. You can probably take herbs or supplements but if you don't adjust the stressors it will probably continue.

It's hard... Having a chronic illness like Lyme has alot of built in stress factors that are difficult to eliminate.

Interesting! Thanks for the info, everyone.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phosphatidylserine.

Rebalances the HPA axis.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Marnie. I'll look into it.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My holistic doc recommended a Metagenics product called Adreset. When I'm taking it I notice my compunded thyroid and hydrocortisone meds work better.

Everyone is different. For me I have noticed it
can take 4 months for the effects of adrenal products to work.

When my ex-FFC doc switched my DHEA from regular to 7-Keto, I noticed a huge crash at 4 months.
When I switched back to regular DHEA, it took about 4 months to improve again.

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
joe-

adrenal essence by Xymogen.

used it while w dr c. im retesting mine tomorrow or one day this week to see what dr h wants to do about it. do you know for sure its your adrenals? a good saliva test taken 4 times throughout the day is a good way to tell...

maybe dr f will give u one altho i doubt he has any.

talk to you soon dude

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement