LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alert for ALL military who were infected in Europe.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alert for ALL military who were infected in Europe.
Nora DeBoard
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15600

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nora DeBoard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently digging for more information into tick infestation in Europe. As I know that is when mine started. Especially my shin pain.

I also belong to MilitaryLymegroup. I also notified Stefanie at Turn the Corner. She wants me to get her any info I can find. As she has lots of military who are suffering from Lyme.

I came across an "Unclassified" article dated March of 2003. It was an article tittled " Europe ; Asia Tick-Born Enchephalitis Increasing.

It stated that there was 1% increase in soldier infected with TBE (tick born encephalitis)per month. That was the report according to AFMIC. It could have actually been higher.

Ticks were also increasing in numbers since the 90's in Europe. I wonder why the military never informed us of this when we inprocessed over there. Kinda important. Wouldn't you think?

I never know there was ticks in Europe.
Do NOT ask where I got this article.

[ 23. July 2008, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Nora DeBoard ]

Posts: 109 | From San Antonio,Tx | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme is different than TBE. TBE is a virus carried by ticks. Lyme is caused by spirochetes which are a bacteria.

Please post the info if you can. I'd be interested in reading about it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora DeBoard
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora DeBoard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have him e-mail it to me and I will see if I can figure out how to post it. [bonk]
Posts: 109 | From San Antonio,Tx | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll really be up the creek when ticks are infected with TBE & Lyme...

It seems that they are separate since the ticks with TBE are mostly in Eastern Europe & areas of the former Soviet Union.

The ticks with Bb are mostly in the US & Western Europe.

Once they meet, the ticks will be infected with both TBE (which is a virus) & Bb (which is a bacteria) + the co-infections.

It will be very bad when that happens... I believe it's just a matter of time.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nora, thanks for your discovery.

i'll copy your post here and link and send to ALL on my lyme group list for their info in case they are vets or know of vets this would apply to!!

suggest others do this too to get the word widespread.... thank you! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Woitzel just recently treated FSME (Fruehsommermeningitis or EarlySummer Meningitis), also a "viral" infection, successfully with the Bionic 880.

"Once they meet, the ticks will be infected with both TBE (which is a virus) & Bb (which is a bacteria) + the co-infections."

I do think they have already met, because usual treatment is becoming more and more difficult.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TBE exists a lot in Europe, sep southern Germany, Theckia, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, All Former Soviet satellite states.
Also TBE in Sweden.

People have been infectied in the city CENTRE of Stockholm with TBE and Lyme!!!

Borrelia EVERYWHERE in Europe, not only in Western Europe but ALL OVER!!! NO PLACE IS SAFE IN EUROPE.

Bb and TBE is a HUGE problem in Europe so take care if you go on holiday. Est. 80% of ticks in Sweden are infected.

You can get immunizations for TBE, but this is NOT recommended if you have full-blown-lyme.

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora DeBoard
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora DeBoard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also read that the doctors in Europe were treating with a drug called Atovaquone in combination with Pentamidine. I have never heard of either one of these.

They said that they have a high success rate with them against the LME and Lyme together. As well as as combination of Pentamidine and TMP-SMX. Which I have never heard of. I will have to investigate this more. I am very curious.

Also read that if this did NOT work they were having to do blood transfusions on them. That this Lyme bacteria very serious and could effect the heart in a bad way.

That worries me. Good thing I have an Echo and Valuim test set up for this Fri. The Valuim test is a 4hr test.

I will try and post the article asap. I am sure EVERYONE will be interested in reading it. From what I was reading, statitics state that there are no ticks in Sweeden but that is NONSENESE!!!! There is because of travel between Europe and Sweeden. It's not rocket science! [shake]

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch you dont get your boy friend in trouble.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora DeBoard
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15600

UNCLASSIFIED

(U) Europe, Asia: Tick-borne Encephalitis Threat Increasing.
AFMIC WIRE 018-03,DI-1812-314-03,25 March 2003)

General

(U) This product, published under the auspices of the Department of Defence Intelligence Production Program (DODIPP), reflects the Defence Intelligence Production Community position. The Defense Intelligence Agency's Armed Forces Medicical Center (AFMIC) produced it as the designated DODIPP producer for this subject.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

(U) Tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) is a potentially life-threatenting vector-borne disease endemic to Russia, Eastern and Central Europe and parts of the Far East. Since the 1900s, the reported incidence of the TBE has been rising dramatically in the region as a result of a population movement, changing climatic factors, and the continued degradation of public health sytems and vector-control programs.

Intelligence Findings and Analysis

(U) Tick-borne encephalitis is caused by a group of virusis belonging to the genus Flavivirus. TBE is transmitted to humans usually by the bite of a tick (Ixodes persulcatus or Ixodes ricinus), or rarely through consumption of unpasteurized milk. Transmission is seasonal and occurs between April and November, when night temperatures remain above 4-5?C (39-41?F), particulary in rural areas. There are two subtypes of TBE, Central European encephalitis (CEE) and Russia Spring-Summer encephalitis (RSSE). CEE occurs mostly in the early autum, with cases distrabuted from Western Europe's Baltic States, particularly Latvia. Infection with RSSE occurs primarily in the spring throughout much of western and southern Russia and parts of the northern Far East.

(U) TBE is transmitted through the bite at any life stage of an infected tick and involves a cycle with rodent resevoirs. The incubation period averages 7-14 days ; however, longer incubations may occur if the prodomal phase passes unnoticed. Mortality is highest with RSSE, potentially reaching 50 percent, as compared to CEE, with less than 5 percent mortality. Immunity is lifelong following recovery. Once infected , there is no effective curative treatment, only suppotive care.

(U) Between 1990 and 2000, the number of reported TBE cases significantly increased in almost every country in Eastern Europe. In Czech Republic, reported cases of TBE cases increased by over 300 percent (from 178-719). Signifcant increases in cases also occured in the Baltic States. In Lituania, total cases increased from 9 in 1990 to 419 in 2000. In Russia, more than 9,400 TBE cases were reported in 1999, a 72 percent increase since 1990. Studies of endemic Eurpope regions have found up to 5 percent of ticks are infected with TBE virus, but in some regions of Russia, a prevalence of 40 percent has been reported. In addition, northern countries such as Finland, Norway, and Sweeden, formerly free of TBE have reported human cases in recent years.

(U) Tick-born diseases that infect humans, such as TBE, are strongly influenced by many factors, including climate and other enviromental issues, socio-political fators, and public health services. Since the end of the communist era in Eastern Europe, people have increasingly traveld for business and leisure into areas with high TBE endemicity. Additionally, the continued enroachement of urban and suburban regions into rural areas has increased the likelihood of infected ticks. Recent mild winters and warm, humid summers throughout Russia and Eastern Europe encourage tick viability and increased activity as well as larger populations of rodents, which serve as reservations for the virus.

(U) The breakup of the Soviet Union also led to the collaspe of many public health systems. Widespread animal and human TBE vaccinations programs that kept TBE rates lower were discontinued, and most people now are unable to afford such vaccines. For example, TBE vaccine for a person weighing 80 kilograms (176 pounds) in Russia costs aproximately $32 (US). The average Russian wage is approximately $133 (US) per month.

(U) Comment : For most military personel, the risk of developing symptomatic TBE is associated with exposure to infected ticks. AFMIC asesses that TBE rates could be as high at 1 percent per month in military personel exposed to ticks in the absence of countermeasures. Appropriate personal protective measures of preventing tick bites, such as using tick repellents, blousing trousers, avoiding areas where ticks are most commonly found (tall grass and small bushes), and immediatley removing ticks from the body greatly reduce risk of becoming infected with TBE. While available in much of Eurasia, TBE vaccine is not FDA approved in the US, but has been used in US military forces under an Investigational New Drug (IND) protocol.

(U) This product responds to Joint Staff (Deputy Director for Medical Readiness) production requirement A336-96-0001

(Candace McCall, LtCol, USAF, BSC, and Tim Latta/MA-2/DSN or secure via STU-III 343-7574)

[ 23. July 2008, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Nora DeBoard ]

Nora DeBoard
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15600

I have lots of questions myself. Especially after being stationed in Europe and traveling ALL over. Some areas there were NO trails. I made my own! We were were NOT told about ticks!!! [rant]

Rather hard for a soldier to take counter measures against something we know NOTHING about. NUMBNUTTS!!!

Secondly, This is the first I'm hearing of a so called vaccine the military has been testing for TBE [confused]

Also the doctors should be trained on WHAT to look for when a soldier comes in complaining of muscle aches and pains, extreme fatigue or headaches. Especially if they do NOT present with the typical EM rash. Not every one is a mental case [loco] or slacker. [cussing]

I guess I should have brought them a copy of my PT scores. Better yet, I wish I had brought in this "Document"! Along with a copy of a color photo of my contaminated blood from Fry Lab. (Which I will be obtaining). That is irrefutable evidence. NO doc can dispute that.

[ 23. July 2008, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Nora DeBoard ]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nora, you say "I also read that the doctors in Europe were treating with a drug called Atovaquone in combination with Pentamidine. I have never heard of either one of these." That's Mepron, and a drug related to Bactrim.

Usually those are given for babesia, and blood transfusions are also sometimes given for babesia (whole blood exchange) for severe cases.

I suspect they're talking about babesia.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora DeBoard
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15600

oxygenbabe,

That would be my guess as well. As I was researching Babesea as well.

There is just SOOOOOOOoooooooo much information about Lyme. It is sometimes overwhelming. Especially to my Lyme brain. [dizzy] .... [Big Grin]

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read Garth Nicolson's information.
He is walking a very fine line, IMO.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Yes. I was thinking Gulf War Syndrome... Is it mycoplasmas, Lyme, co-infections, TBE, exposure to depleted uranium, herpes, Epstein-Barr, additional toxins in the air & water????

Not a pretty picture.

How about laser blood irradiation? There's a place in London doing it...

http://www.virusmedicalclinic.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/2474?opendocument&part=4

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement