LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alzheimer's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alzheimer's
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

[ 26. July 2008, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: adamm ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard this before...where can I find this information to research it? You know, I think once this gets to be very well known, which they are predicting in the next 4-5 years, I am hoping there will be huge strides made in the (hopefully) cure of this. They can say now that we are doomed, no cure etc....but who know what the future holds in terms of new discoveries for even a total cure?!?
Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if u keep thinking like that, you will be.

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adamm,

I don't have an answer to your question since my head is still spinning from this whole bit of controversy. It's still so hard to fathom it's even going on in this country, but obviously it is.

I need to try to keep a positive attitude and keep doing everything in our power to bring AWARENESS AWARENESS AWARENESS to this situation. It's amazing how many people know NOTHING of it. So get the word out every chance you can.

Rachellemarie,

I don't know where the information came from the Adamm is quoting, but I do know that if you watch "Under our Skin", this particular doctor has some great documentation regarding brains of alzheimers patients (7 of the 10 of them ) showing signs of lyme in them.

Perhaps there is something from the internet that would also document this.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggest you read the following link :

http://blog.cognitivelabs.com/2008/07/infrared-helmet-may-hold-promise-for.html

By the way, in the movie "Under our Skin". Dr MacDonald stated 7 of the 10 brain samples from Harvard from patients with alzheimers had lyme disease. So the man we're seing with the improvements based on the samples had a 70% chance of having lyme. I leave you to your own conclusions, but I would suggest LED technology is something we should all consider. And in fact not only get rid of lyme but increase our longevity and our capacity to live even better then before we had lyme.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that's what his research really says...

First of all, the seven out of 10 alzheimers brains that were infected with Bb -- these patients believed they had alzheimers and probably had no idea in the slightest they could have had lyme disease; they were most likely never introduced to the thinking maybe it was Bb and not alzheimers. They were most likely never treated for lyme either. This is why these people had time to advance to the stage they got to with "alzheimers".

From his study, I came to the conclusion that people who have ALS or alzheimers or even MS are probably cases of misdiagnosed lyme. I didn't think of it in the way you did: that lyme patients will end up that way.... And I don't think that's what he really meant. Of course I could be wrong.... Just my two cents.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmm. An increase in Alzheimer's Disease or Dementia in general.

An increase in Lyme disease.

I've worked in Long Term Care for many, many years.

Knowing what I know now, there is no doubt in my mind that there is a link between Alzheimer's/Lyme Disease.

The only true diagnosis of Alzheimer's is upon death and autopsy.

They look at the brain and look for tangles in it.

Like a tornado went through your brain.

I am not suprised that they are finding bb in brains of Alzheimer's patients.

Alzheimer's is just one form of Dementia.

We know that bb left untreated can result in dementia.

Is it any wonder????

I say that I am not doomed to die due to Alzheimer's as long as I treat the bb.

Just my very humble opinion of course.

That is not to negate that there is a dementia called Alzheimer's Disease.

The tangles in the absence of bb would confirm that.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Geneal,

We have an advantage that we are TREATING our lyme right now. The patients in Dr. McDonalds study THOUGHT they had alzheimers and did nothing on this path to try to treat it.

So my thought process is that we definitely have a head start on those that still are being MISdiagnosed.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyPW8
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyPW8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a comment, have you seen the alzheimer commercials on television that says that there more and more people being diagnosed in their 30's and 40's? I guess it isn't "old timers" any more.
[shake]
Definitely Borreliosis.

--------------------
Amy

Diagnosed April 29, 2007.

Posts: 136 | From Joplin, MO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh--ok. I guess I misunderstood. I was

under the impression that Alzhemier's

and a particular Lyme pathology were one

and the same...

thanks for clarifying.

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for dementia, this can actually be caused by mulitple medications! A group in Los Angeles, Genesys, takes dementia patients, cuts back on their meds on a gradient until they are ONLY taking the smallest dose they really need of the meds to treat their PHYSICAL conditions. 90% success!

You'd be surprised at the shopping-bags full of drugs many seniors are on!

And, many of them are being given psychiatric drugs to "treat" their behavior or emotional issues. These drugs are not approved for use in the elderly, and actually have black-box warnings NOT to use them, as they result in early death.

I have no doubt that Lyme may be a contributing factor in medical problems that then end up being over-drugged.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as exercising our bodies is VITAL..so is exercising our minds.

Keep your mind's active...learn something new...listen to new music (healing), play Wii - visual and physical), learn a new language (or sign language), play sudko...

Don't sit in front of the TV and "veg out".

Think. Keep learning. Do NEW things.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No

Treatment takes care of that.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Casey Burns
Member # 14611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey Burns   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Dr. MacDonald found 17 out of 20 Alzheimer brains to have Borrelia is significant and is a smoking gun, but may just be serendipity and parsimony. This experiment needs to be repeated to be fully verified. It may just be a coincidence. It may also be that Borrelia infections are much more widespread (with some not showing any symptoms!) than was previously known. Thus, don;t wjump to conclusions and give yourselves something else to worry about! Focus on getting well in the present.

The next step would be it seems to start testing living Alzheimer patients, not just the brains of the dead. Also, maybe the brains of a sample of "healthy" adults.

Given the neurotoxic element of Lyme it seems that this could cause Alzheimers or similar symptoms but until this has been demonstrated, don't believe in it. Science works in facts, not belief symptoms. Further work is needed before we should get worried. On the other hand, focusing on proper treatment for Lyme should be our priority.

I am hopeful about my own treatment, some of which is inspired by Dr. MacDonald's biofilm research. Am taking "Boluoke" (earthworm enzymes) and VegiZyme a half an hour before meals and antibiotics (currently Athithromycin and Minocycline) and taking detox stuff afterwords (charcoal, pectin, blue green algae, Smilax and a homeopathic called "Toxex"). The enzymes are to help break down the biofilms exposing the bacteria.

My Lyme presents itself as recurring week-long fatigue episodes that knock me flat with feeling okay in between. The longest from start to start I have gone since treatment started was 37 days - and that was a long time ago.

Well, today I am on day 38 and no signs of recurring symptoms. If I make it to August I will be cautiously optimistic. If I make it to September, I will be celebrating! Also, my energy has been the best in years lately, with days that start early and go late, with a tidal wave of energy in between. It might be just High Summer or it might be that I am on the mend.

Casey

Posts: 34 | From Kingston WA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I think we are.

I wrote to alz.org about my Lyme + EMF and/or RF exposure = Alzheimer's theories (though the bulk of my email was about the EMF/RF connection), and this was their response...

Thank you for your e-mail to the Alzheimer's Association regarding a potential link between electromagnetic fields (EMFs) and the development of Alzheimer's disease (AD).

After receiving your e-mail, we asked our library to conduct a search of the scientific literature on EMFs and AD. That search yielded 34 studies since 1994. The study results were inconsistent and inconclusive. Most of the studies concluded that the data did not support a link between EMFs and AD or that evidence for such a link was weak.

The largest study, appearing in the journal Epidemiology in 2000, examined records for more than 30,000 utility company employees in Denmark between 1900 and 1993, but found that the incidence of Alzheimer's disease was ``unrelated to exposure to electromagnetic fields.'' A 2007 article appearing in Occupational and Environmental Medicine reports, ``Exposure to magnetic fields was not significantly associated with dementia; restriction of the analysis to cases with possible Alzheimer's disease or possible vascular dementia did not lead to statistically significant results.'' One small study even suggested that EMFs could improve cognitive function in AD.

The Alzheimer's Association welcomes new ideas regarding the causes of and treatments for AD. The day when the causes of AD are understood and treatments to slow or stop the disease are available cannot come soon enough.

Best regards,

Science staff

----------------------------

Ask me if I buy their reassurances when I can feel the spirochetes devouring my brain tissue upon exposure to EMF/RF.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Re: thread title - It's comments like this that have me wanting to toss my computer out the window.

There are many things that can help prevent the damage.

First, treat the bleeping infections !!!!

Then, nourish the cells.

Fish oil, anti-oxidants, etc.

Get off the fear bus and onto to "welll, I'm doing the best I can and hope it works" bus. Knowledge is power.

Sure, this is scary stuff . . . but I choose to be proactive.

I'd phrase it, because the research shines a light on some serious stuff, I need to study this better and take the best care of my self as I can.

If you allow your mind to phrase such concerns in the negative, the brain will do its best to get that negative result for you.

Anytime you read serious stuff - always end with: then, here's what I need to do about it.

We have to be able to read the real serious stuff (sorry, I'm stuck on "stuff" today) . . . we have to have the courage to face the facts in order to understand better.

But then we have choices and there will be degrees and shifts, we if we look to a brighter future, not only do we have a better chance but we might just enjoy the ride more.

Hurperzine A is just one supplement that comes to mind regarding helping diminish amyloid plaque in the brain. PubMed has a ton of stuff on that.

==================

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Huperzine - 292

One of those:

Chem Biol Interact. 2008 Jun 23. [Epub ahead of print]

Anti-acetylcholinesterase activities of traditional Chinese medicine for treating Alzheimer's disease.
Lin HQ, Ho MT, Lau LS, Wong KK, Shaw PC, Wan DC.

Department of Biochemistry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong, SAR, China.

Alzheimer's disease (AD) is a neurodegenerative disease characterized by progressive memory loss and cognitive impairment.

It is the most common type of dementia in the ageing population due to a severe loss of cholinergic neurons in selected brain area.

At present, acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (AChEI) are the first group of drugs approved by the FDA to treat mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. Most of these drugs such as huperzine and galanthamine are originally isolated from plants.

In this study, the AChE inhibitory activities from extracts of Chinese medicinal herbs that have traditionally been prescribed to treat insomnia and brain function disorders were examined in a 96-well plate assay based on Ellman's method.

Both ethanol and aqueous extracts of 26 traditional Chinese medicinal herbs were tested. Inhibitory effects were expressed as the percentage of inhibition.

For the herbal extracts that were shown to exert a significant inhibition, dose-dependent inhibitory assays were also performed. Ethanol and aqueous extracts of six herbs were found to have high AChE inhibitory activities in a dose-dependent manner.

The IC(50) of these herbal extracts on inhibition of AChE are at around 5-85mum/ml.

The results of this study indicate that there is a great potential to search for novel usage of these medicinal herbs for the treatment of AD.

PMID: 18573242

===========

You might also want to do some research in the "articles" search at this site" www.vrp.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If most people who have alzheimers actually have lyme. And the LED light helmet has been efficacious to most of them. Is it possible it is actually a treatment for lyme in the brain?

The Dr. from the UK is embarking on clinical trials next year. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my brother's wife died of EARLY ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE at age 40 on 3-15-93.

mayo clinic did a full brain autopsy taking 4-5 months to rule out everything; yes, she had what i typed above, and PLAGUES AND TANGLES to prove it.

i wish i knew earlier about lyme/co-infections since my brother/she farmed my folk's century farm.

adam, please when you post a subject, POST why you are bringing things like that up in it vs. NOTHING!! thx

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement