LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Social Security/Disability forms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Social Security/Disability forms
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got them in the mail.. It's all very intense.

There are so many questions, pages of them.... I am having trouble with it.

Does anyone have experience with these forms???

I REALLY need this to be approved, we cannot afford anything anymore... And treatment may be nil without some assistance.

I am having nightmares about this, I get the letter with a BIG red DENIED... [Frown]

Thank you!!

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A SSD speciality lawyer spoke at one of our Lyme Support meetings.

His suggestions_
Do NOT fill oput form online -(If you can do that can do data processing)

Suggested you go to LOCAL social security office (make appt.)and ask them to help you fill out forms.

Remember your appearance is important-all put together means NOT deficient -his hint -don't dress up!

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi UnexpectedIlls,

Bettyg's Newbie Package has a lot of very helpful information, concerning what you're asking about.

There's a thread, which contains her package, at the very top of the Medical Questions forum.

Her package includes instructions, at the very top of it, on how to copy, paste, and save it to a computer, so you can search for the specific information, in it, you need, with the right computer program.

I copied and pasted her package into my Microsoft Word computer program, then saved it, as titled.

There are other computer programs, which will accomplish the same, or about the same, thing, but I don't know what they are, since I don't, usually, use them.

If you use the same computer program as I do, then you can use the toolbar, at the top of it, to search for the specific information, in her package, you need.

Just open her package, with the computer program, place your cursor at the very beginning of it, and choose "edit", then "find", from the dropdown menu, which will give you a search box.

In the box, enter the search term(s), to find the specific information, in her package, you need and keep clicking the "find next" button, on the search box, where the computer program will highlight whatever you entered, for you.

Entering "social security", as search terms, works fine for me.

You can enter any other related search term(s), as you feel are necessary, which should work okay.

Please don't get discouraged and give up, if you're not awarded it, the first you apply for it, since, normally, many people aren't.

You can always appeal, any of your denials to be awarded it, the first time you apply for it, a few times.

If filling out all of the forms and/or going through it by yourself is overwhelming to you, then you can hire a disability attorney.

A disability attorney can give you some good advice to help you be awarded it, the first time you apply for it, so you don't even have to appeal any denials.

There are several really good disability attorneys to choose from, who are very familiar with the entire process and you don't have to pay them anything upfront.

The disability attorney, usually, takes a standard percentage, of whatever you receive as back pay, if you're awarded it, but I forget exactly how much it is.

Can someone please state exactly what the percentage is, how long you have to be unable to work, before you can apply for it, how much back pay you can receive, at what point, in the entire process, you can hire an attorney, as well as any other information you feel will help, such as what other computer programs can be used to accomplish the same task, etc.?

If I'm incorrect in anything I've said, then someone please feel free to correct me.

Whatever happens, keep in mind, the Social Security Administration wants you to take "no" for an answer and just go away.

Not being awarded it, the first time you apply for it, but, especially, not at all, doesn't sound like something you can afford to have happen to you, so definitely be very persistent, about trying to be awarded it and, most likely, your efforts will turn out to be well worthwhile, in the end.

If you do a search here, about what to do about being awarded it and for names of attorneys, to help you be awarded it, or places to look for them, then I'm sure you'll find many threads, which contain a lot of good information, about them and more.

I hope the information I've given you will help you!

Best wishes to you being awarded it, the first time you apply for it, so you won't have to go through the appeal process!

[kiss] [group hug]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

P.S. If you have any specific questions, about the whole issue, then I might be able to help you with those, so feel free to send me a private message, anytime. [Smile]

[ 26. July 2008, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: jjeennnniiee ]

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you contacted an attorney who specializes in social security disability? It could help you with the forms, and with winning your case. I couldn't have won my case without the help of my attorney.

Also, look online at www.scottdavispc.com He is an SSD attorney and has some very helpful articles on how to win your case, such as a few titles below:

Articles on Social Security Disability and Various Other Disabilities:

NEW! Five Reasons Judges Approve Social Security Disability Claims

How to Prepare for Your Social Security Disability Hearing before an Administrative Law Judge

Winning Your Social Security Disability Claim: 15 Mistakes You Can't Afford to Make!

How Does Social Security Define ``Disability'' Anyway?

Does having an attorney determine whether you win or lose your Social Security Disability case?

Obtaining Social Security Disability: How to Begin the Process

Seven Important Steps to Winning Your Disability Case

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennie, thanks for directing her to my package especially since the ssdi info was the last to be reorganized and posted 5 days ago here!!! [group hug] [kiss]

quote:
Originally posted by jjeennnniiee:

The disability attorney, usually, takes a standard percentage, of whatever you receive as back pay, if you're awarded it, but I forget exactly how much it is.

Can someone please state exactly what the percentage is,

REPLY: 25% UP TO MAX $5300

how long you have to be unable to work, before you can apply for it,

REPLY: 5 months from LAST DAY PHYSICALLY WORKED!

how much back pay you can receive,

REPLY: all depends on many things ... when DDS decides the date YOUR ARE DISABLED based on MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION stating this.

example; mine was approved 2nd claim after ALJudge hearing. they went back 3 YRS. to when 2nd started; but wouldn't go back to 1st.

since i was in waiting process 3 years, my 2 years wait for MEDICARE WAS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY!!

at what point, in the entire process, you can hire an attorney,

REPLY: many will NOT take your case until reconsideration, 2nd step.

but my feeling is if you win and they are being paid $5300 ... LET THEM EARN THE MONEY FROM DAY 1!! let them do the leg work vs. US, who do everything!!

i did everything on my case! they did NOT! see my comments below about lawyer scott davis' office!

as well as any other information you feel will help, such as what other computer programs can be used to accomplish the same task, etc.? [Smile]

someone else mentioned reading scott davis' articles .... good.

HOWEVER, he was my lawyer for almost 4 years when he QUIT me before my APPEALS COUNCIL decision!

he never sent AC a brief about why aljudge was wrong on denying me 1st claim. so since i was representing myself after he quit, AC did NOT have to look at my thick file at all!!!!

they looked only at ALJ'S FINAL DECISION determining it was correct, and i waited 2.5 years for them to finally open my case there, and denied immediately!!

but scott wanted to get rid of me totally so was kind enough NOT to charge me for his air flight to des moines when he represented me: flight, food, lodging.

we was going to charge me for misc. charges, but his FORMER secretaries were awful. i'd send them copies of things and tell them I HAD COPIES FOR MYSELF; and do NOT send me copies back.

they constantly sent me copies of things i said not to copy and send me.

they overnighted many things #$$.

so he was agreeable to waive the misc. charges!! so it was a win-win; he was rid of me, and i was never satisfied with all the screwups of his office.

scott did have his secretary send me back both of my claim files which i read cover to cover and established my own medical file documentation ... which his office NEVER did from day 1 !!!

it took me 5-6 months to read thru it all and document things. i documented all this when i sent my documentation for my future ALJ hearing.

if you hire someone, find out if they can represent you in CIVIL COURT/FEDERAL.

scott never told me he couldn't represent me there! so that was another reason he was quitting me.

to the poster, which forms were you sent specfically ... give us their names; not form nos!!

sign up immediately for DISINISSUES WEB SITE which you find immediately WHEN YOU start looking at my organized SSDI info!!

post your questions here, enough of us have gone thru this; we can assist you in answers.

member, conniemc, is a NON-LAWYER who represents folks with their cliams. it's her info in this that is SO HELPFUL in winning your claims 1st time; 1st step!! betty [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a lawyer to get disability.

There is no way i could have done all the necessary paperwork and gotten all the records organized etc.

Just so you know alot of people do get denied first round... but you can appeal.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so Much everyone for the very detailed information!

I appreciate it so much... I am in the process of filling out the paperwork they sent to me. I have been trying to answer everything the best I can.

At this point I don't even think I am well enough to actually go out and see a lawyer.. How pathetic is that... [Frown]

You know your really sick when your too sick to even go to the doctors.. Thats where I have been for 17 months...

If they deny me than something is seriouly wrong with this world.

Again... Thank you SO much for all you help and suggestions! [Smile]

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to let you know that i never had to meet my lawyer. If he needed to know something he called. if he needed to get something signed he sent it to me and i sent it back through snail mail.

I would get a reference from a support group if you are going to get a lawyer though. get a happy customer s recomendation [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My attorneys, one for SSDI and another for disability retirement, both came to see me, from another state! So being able to go out is not a requirement.

I agree with those who have suggested that you find an attorney now. Good luck!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also want to suggest you find an attorney.

You dont have to leave the house at all. I do everything by mail and phone....so much easier this way they going to the office, parking, walking, sitting etc.

They are used to clients not being able to come to them, so they know how to deal with this type of thing.

BettyG has a lot of good info in her packet and the yahoo group disinissues is great as well.

work on getting letters from ALL of your doctors stating you cannot perform ANY job(this is key)
Also, letters from friends/family/former coworkers stating how much your symptoms affect daily living etc. You might also want to include your own letter.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got mine the first time...i was told to send my own doctors records as they never get them...my wife got all the records from my doctors...sent them with the form and i got approved..most get turned down as the first time because the ss doctors have nothing to read to know if you are disabled...send them the doctor office reports with the first form..you do not need a attorny...
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement