LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone else get nausea from doxy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone else get nausea from doxy?
h8lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be alright on doxy, but lately everytime I take it, I get massive nausea. I feel like I am going to throw up for a good hour after taking it.

I have been taking it for close to 9 months. Initially this would happen, but it stopped happening when I would take massive amounts of water with it. Now the water doesn't seem to help. I'm talking 4 large glasses of water.

A bit confused.

Posts: 158 | From Santa Monica | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to try Doryx [a type of Doxy], which is easier on the stomach. I've taken it for several years now [Acne & Lyme], and it has always been tolerable. The negative, is that it costs quite a bit more than generic Doxy, if you don't have insurance. Fortunately for me, I have insurance coverage, so it's only a matter of a co-pay.

--------------------
Craig

Posts: 207 | From Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herxuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herxuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
worse than that. I can't keep it down, 1 hour after I vomit , so I never know if I have taken it up or not. It's a waste of time for me. I am fed up of trying, so have given up on that one.
Posts: 153 | From England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, no!

You have to take Doxy after a FULL meal, without dairy products in it. A partial meal usually won't be enough either.

With Doryx there is no need to eat the full meal.

I can't blame you for not wanting to take the medication, I urpped till I got it right too.

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way that I could take doxy was after a full meal. Hope that works for you; any other way made me nauseaus.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agree with meg and vl. If I take on an empty stomach, I lose it to the toilet.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I ate it on an empty tummy, I felt such terrible room spinning nausea, and even threw up a few times.

There were a few times that I didn't but for the most part, yuck.

I can't imagine what the other antibiotics will do to me. Yikes.

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get around this by taking it with a liquid meal (ie soup, protein shake, smoothie etc).
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You might want to check the patient instructions if you take it with dairy, but food in the stomach is a good idea.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know of anyone who DOESN't get nausea with doxy on an empty stomache. Id suggest crackers, fritos, something to calm the stomache. When I was on doxy, the 1st 2 hrs were always the worst. Given I was taking it 2x a day, that meant a solid 4 hrs each day of nausea.

Now, Im onto a different protocol, and last night...ugh...it was nausea from Biaxin... anyone else get Biaxin nausea?

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dudeplanet
Member # 15685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dudeplanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes me too! When I started actually threw up on myself in my car. Gross! I was throwing up 2-3 times a week after taking it. Have been on Doxy and cefdinir for 2 months! Sometimes I just feel so queasy and I have to wait for it to pass. I seem to be getting better on it. Not taking it in the morning. Taking it after lunch - right after the last bite. And the same with dinner. It must be right after otherwise I just feel dreadful. Hope this helps..I feel for you!
Posts: 30 | From Northern virginia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
h8lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you all for the replies. I will try to take it after a full meal.
Posts: 158 | From Santa Monica | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twin2Jen
Member # 14646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twin2Jen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear h8lyme,
Doxy always made me sick. I always have taken my abx with a full meal. Biaxin makes me nauseated, too. I used to take Flagyl with no trouble, but the last time I took it, I got a terrible nausea and diarrhea reaction. The same happened with Amoxy not to long ago. WTH?

Sincerely,
Jen

--------------------
Asthma-1993
IBS-1999
Acid Reflux-1999
Ovarian Cysts-2000
Fibromyalgia-2001
Thyroid Disease-2004
Celiac Disease-2007

Posts: 9 | From Evansville | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement