LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Which helped your babesia's fatigue and/or symptoms more: Malarone or Mepron?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which helped your babesia's fatigue and/or symptoms more: Malarone or Mepron?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty self-explanatory.....and also, what is the MINIMUM length of time someone should take Malarone? I have heard people's advice on Mepron, but just wondering how long you guys needed on Malarone. Just so I don't mess anything up!

Thanks!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron, it's stronger. Malarone wasn't strong enough to help me ... I backslid while on it.

You should be on it a min. of 4 months, but don't get off till babs symptom-free. I've been on either Mepron or Malarone continuously 18 months.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Hoo,

I can say Mepron worked wonders for me. I never got sick on it only felt better and better. It was though the light were turned on and I was my ol' self again. But then a LLNP pulled me off and I slid downhill fast, zoooooom. Never did get back to that good level when I was put back on it.

Then the LLMD puts me on Larium and Mepron and WA-LA, it's all good again. Now I will say the Larium made me real sick for about 2/3 days but after that, the ol' me was back again.

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six,

Did you say I needed to be on Mepron for 7 or 8 months though, or was that more just for you that's how long it took, but for me it theoretically COULD be only 4 months and still be considered okay? (though i know i'll need more, i'm just curious if 4 months for Mepron is okay.)

It makes sense 3-4 months is minimum b/c of the life cycle of red blood cells.

I was on Malarone for 4 months, so that answers that question......at least I did the minimum. And I agree, i have seen "some" results with Mepron while I have actually seen NONE on Malarone

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thanks for the advice, guys......I know what has/hasn't worked for me so far in my "limited" experience with these drugs, but I was just interested for others to share their experiences.

I think it will beneficial not only for me but for others starting babesia treatment, to hear the broad range of experiences.

Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 4 months of Mepron and was told to go off babs meds by one LLMD who thought I was done treating it.

My next LLMD gave me Malarone when I tested reactive to babs still. I do not know how long I was on Malarone but is seemed like months maybe almost a year of more and I think the Malarone did it for me.

I only took half a dose a day. Malarone does mot make me depressed like Mepron did.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Does anyone have an opinion on if it's okay if I only take half a dose of Mepron every day?
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hoosiers51:
Six,

Did you say I needed to be on Mepron for 7 or 8 months though, or was that more just for you that's how long it took, but for me it theoretically COULD be only 4 months and still be considered okay?

No, I said to treat till the babs symptoms were gone. For me it's 18 months and still treating. Go by symptoms, not some set time. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I wouldn't take a half a dose for resistance reasons. I take 2 tsp. twice daily.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement