LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is there a hospital or clinic for difficult patients

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there a hospital or clinic for difficult patients
jl123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jl123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heart rythym issues, myu heart seems to have forgoten how to regulate itself.

I can get uncontrollable tachs as well as low pulses. I don't think I will be able to handle this when I start on antibiotics.

Is there someplace I can go where I can be monitored for awhile? thanks, JL

Posts: 268 | From new york city | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would highly reccomend that you see a cardiologist and request a 24 hour halter moniter to record your rythyms. Maybe an echocardiogram, test you thryroid and adrenals. Have you discussed this with any Dr.???
Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newdurham77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newdurham77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely see a cardiologist. If the regular one can't "handle" your case, they would refer you to a specialized cardiologist that deals exclusively with problems of rhythm -called electrophysiologists.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is medication for this. I had to take it when I first became ill because my heart was going crazy. I took meds for about a year and it made my blood pressure too low, so I stop taking it; but my heart is not as bad as it was back then. I have a few valve issues so I am use to having palpitations. Many times it is not anything serious but would be a good idea to see a cardiologist.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a suggestion

if you put in the topic line that you have a question on a heart issue you might get more responses

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, there is a clinic for chronic lyme patients that are really ill
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Byron, where is the clinic?
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I recall reading about that. If you don't see Byron's reply soon, I'll look through my notes. [Edited to add: I see his reply below. ]

Oh, if you mention this to a normal doctor, I'd be sure not to use the term "difficult patient" as it is a killer label for your medical file. They would not think "difficult CASE" but it's the label they use for patients they want to toss in the trash can. If that is ever in your file, it could prevent you from getting the care you need.

Oh . . . have you been evaluated for QT syndrome? If you startle easily, that is just one clue.

Also . . . Arnold Peckerman, MD has done extensive research on "cardiac impedence" - some really good stuff that may relate here and tests that most cardiologists never think of doing.

You can cross search that. I'll come back later with an article, but rest calls first.

Good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by laura j:
Byron, where is the clinic?

Health Centers of America in Kansas City, MO
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Here are some video links I mentioned in post above.

While some (many?) cases of CFS might be undiagnosed lyme, this information may be helpful to patients across the board.

www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/Lerner.html

Cardiac Insufficiency Hypothesis - article and many links, including to: Pittler MH, Schmidt K, Ernst E., Hawthorn extract for treating chronic heart failure: meta-analysis of randomized trials. Am J Med. 2003 Jun 1;114(8):665-74. [PDF Format]

=========================

www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/CFS_Dist.htm

Video: A three-hour talk by Dr. Cheney on diastolic cardiomyopathy and ME/CFS.

CFS and Diastolic Cardiomyopathy - Paul Cheney, M.D., Ph.D.

---------

New Research on Cardiac Insufficiency

several articles

There is new research from a New Jersey team, authored by Doctors Arnold Peckerman, Benjamin Natelson et al., which found left-ventricular dysfunction following exertion and orthostatic stress in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

The WedMD article and the press release are available at the link below. In an NIH-funded study on impedance cardiography also linked below, Peckerman and Natelson found that low cardiac output correlated with symptom severity in ME/CFS.

Dr. A. Martin Lerner . . . Viral infection persists in the heart, causing left-ventricular dysfunction, producing exercise intolerance. Exercise, in turn, worsens the cardiac dysfunction.

. . .

More recently, physicist, physician, long-time ME/CFS researcher and clinician, and heart-transplant recipient Paul Cheney, M.D., Ph.D., has offered an alternative theory that a subset of ME/CFS patients suffer from a diastolic cardiomyopathy, a problem with ventricular filling resulting from mitochondrial dysfunction and low ATP energy in the heart.

=====================================

Again, presented not to sadden, but if there is a dysfunction, treatment for underlying causes and employing support measures can make a difference. I hope you can find a LLMD. Or call a LLMD's office and ask what doctor they would refer their patients to for cardiac matters.

-

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, might hold many answers and suggestions for you:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Magnesium - 77672

magnesium, cardiac - 6395

-

Calcium - 388060

calcium, cardiac - 46015

=======================================

http://tinyurl.com/658t55

Wien Med Wochenschr. 2000;150(15-16):330-4.

SIGNIFICANCE OF MAGNESIUM IN CARDIAC ARRHYTHMIAS

[Article in German]

St�hlinger HG, Kiss K, Smetana R.

Universit�tsklinik f�r Nofallmedizin, Wien.

Magnesium is of great importance in cardiac arrhythmias.

It increases the ventricular threshold for fibrillation. Sinus node refractoriness and conduction in the AV node are both prolonged.

Main indications for intravenous application of magnesium are Torsade de pointes tachycardias, digitalis toxicity induced tachyarrhythmias and multifocal atrial tachycardias.

Additionally, patients with ventricular arrhythmias due to overdoses of neuroleptics or tricyclic antidepressants may profit from i.v. magnesium.

Monomorphic ventricular tachycardias and ventricular arrhythmias refractory to class III antiarrhythmics have been shown to respond to i.v. magnesium.

Recent publications have documented that perioperative use of magnesium can reduce the incidence of arrhythmic events on the atrial and ventricular level.

Oral magnesium has been used for many years in patients with symptomatic extrasystoles. Studies show that the incidence of extrasystoles as well as patients' symptoms are reduced during oral magnesium therapy.

PMID: 11105328

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Bryon - Thanks for that name, I am amazed. This place looks great. Looking over it, it does not seem to be a in-house residential place as would be so nice.

With a search on their site for "lyme" - at first glance they really seem to understand it, quoting Burrascano, But they also have a link explaining problems with insurance.

I am amazed I've never heard of them before. Has anyone here had experience with them ?

=

www.healthcentersofamerica.com/information.cfm?id=162

Health Centers of America

You can search for lyme and a full page of links pops up.

One of those, regarding insurance reimbursement for chronic lyme:

www.HealthCentersofAmerica.com/information.cfm?ID=115

--

My thinking: however, for patients who are new to all this, who still need diagnostics or for lyme patients who have other stuff going on and get treatment for, say, heart stuff . . . the billing would be different.

-

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

billing is the same for most everyone, doesn't matter what symptoms you have...
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of a place like this in California? I have heart issues too, especially at night, and I would like to be monitored if it gets any worse (which hopefully it won't since it's already pretty debilitating!). I can't even be on antibiotics right now. My Primary Care Medical Facility refuses to do any more heart tests, so a place like this would be my only option. I'm no where close to this one though!
Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler,

big thanks for your 2 links you showed; especially the INSURANCE REIMBURSEMENT ONE.

i copied it here starting a new post and broke it up ...long but worthwhile! xox

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement