LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone heard of those foot pads that detox your body?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone heard of those foot pads that detox your body?
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It starts with a K. You can get them for 20 bucks at the local pharmacy, however, I saw a commercial for them last night and they will send you a lifetime supply of them if you order through them.

What do you think of this?

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search on detox footpads. There has been lots of chat about it in the past. Of course, some like them and some don't.

I have never read of anyone who used them until they no longer changed color. I do think moisture turns the pad dark.

One member had his tested by a lab. He had them test one used pad and one unused pad. The used pad came back with metals and stuff that the unused pad did not have. I thought that was pretty good testimony. You can read about it at his website, www.betterhealthguy.com. I have no affiliation with him, but I have purchased the health marvel pads he advertises on his site. They are the best price I have found.

My personal experience is that my foot pain and cramping were eased by their use and I slept better. I actually liked the ritual of wearing them each night.

They always stained dark no matter how long I used them and I would buy 100 at a time which is the best price and last 50 nights.

I purchase them sporadically because I have to pick and choose where I spend my money and save the expenses for things that have the strongest impact.

Today, I no longer have pain, cramping or swelling in my feet.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just for feet relief? Or is it to detox the rest of your body?

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too used them off and on. MOstly off due to not having the funds.

But, when I did use them I found I had more energy and felt better.

I tried several different brands.

I found podi patches worked the best for me.

I did get to the point where the pads went from black and gunky to light and I was doing maintenance only on them.

It was years ago but the patches from Better Health guy did not turn black and gunky and didn't seem to do much.

Otheres have said they helped.

They are for detox.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we haven't used them in a while, but they worked for us too

we would use them especially after physical therapy - i would use them for about 3 -4 days in a row and they did get lighter each day

i have soaked them and they do not turn brown

when i take them off my feet are not "sweaty"

i also use healthmarvels - i am sure that the quality of these pads vary greatly from brand to brand -

i need to order more

we also use them when we suspect a virus

but i try everything when we have a suspected virus to shorten the course - we all know how a virus can set us lymies back

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried them, so I can't say from personal experience; however, one of the news shows [20/20, Dateline, etc.] did a story on them, and studies have shown that something as simple as moisture, will turn the pads dark. Makes me think that they are just selling a bill of goods.

--------------------
Craig

Posts: 207 | From Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son tried the Podi Patches and they did not help.
Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought there was a test done on those pads that proved them to be fake? Like they took a fresh pad, held it up over boiling water and let the steam get on it and it turned black. Something about the ingredients inside them turn black because of humidity or something or other.

Am I wrong?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried them. Different brands gave me radically different results with regard to symptom relief (and colors, but that doesn't seem as important to me).

Podi Patch was most effective, and is the only one I will re-order. It's also the most expensive, and not the one for sale on TV, or in drugstores.

I tried Health Marvels - several types - and did not find them as effective, for me personally.

I think the news show did their test on the drugstore kind that is sold on TV, too.

I am not affiliated with Podi Patch or any company. My experience with Podi Patches, though, was very good - and when they go on sale, if I have funds, I will order them again.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have some and would be willing to mail you a few to try.

it's the gold ones from healthmarvels.

let me know if you're interested.

i've sent them to others. some said they helped, some said not. i think it's individual.

like foot soak bath. i paid over 50 bucks and didn't think it helped all that much, but some people swear by them.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can share a recent experiment that I did on these.

I took a pad that I used overnight and a pad that I only wet with distilled water and sent both of them to be tested.

The pad I wore had mercury and other metals and the pad I only wet did not show any mercury.

I agree that the color of the pads can become darker with just wetting the pads, but I also have seen them lighten over time with continued use.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used them every day for a year. I used the Podi brand - www.podipatch.com

I was introduced to them by my LLMD. I was told to use them until they turned lighter. That did not happen for many many months.

I believed they helped me significantly. When I started using them, my once a month 2 day herx no longer knocked me flat and I was able to go to work those days. My thinking became much clearer and brain fog left me.

I still use them one week a month. FWIW - I am off antibiotics almost 4 years now and have my life back. Detox is a HUGE component in the path to wellness

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree that detox is a huge part of healing.

The gold pads at Health Marvel are for heavy metal toxicity. They have different pads for different things. I have heavy metal toxicity and the gold pads work for me. The blue pads are for chronic fatigue which I do not have. They did nothing for me but my husband who has CFS loves the blue ones. Funny thing, after posting to this thread this morning (my husband knew nothing about it) said "Hey, we haven't used those foot pads in a while and they were really helpful. Order some more. ESP????

Ok!

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

Would you mind sharing where you sent your foot pads to be tested? Thanks. Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8891 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawnee, you are not wrong. There have been several recent articles in the news about those products.
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still stand by the gold from healthmarvels

remember - not everything in the news is correct or unbiased

if this is a placebo affect - it is happening to my entire family of 5, our pt and her husband and child, an extended family of 4 ----must i go on

even is it is a placebo affect - hey - i can live with that

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

The detox footpads (most brands) are fake. They do not detox anything.

When you see people pulling the footpads off and they look all nasty and green, it is because we sweat during the night and it makes the footpad wet, which will look green because that is the color of the "stuff" in them.

Don't waste your money.

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Byron, I think your information is misleading and inaccurate. Many doctors still support the use of these pads and testing has shown that they do help the body to detox. Do some reading....

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

Still waiting to hear your reply as to where you sent your footpads for testing? Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8891 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiker,

POdi patches use to have a place they recommended.

Don't know if they still do. It was quite a while ago.

Scott isn't the only one who has sent the pads in for testing.

I recall hearing about others too who sent them in and learned what things were showing up on the pads.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

My point is that if the company that sells the patches either tests them or recommends where to get them tested it is likely to be a biased test and I would not trust the results.

20/20 did a show on this a while ago and did the same thing Scott did and sent the foot pads to an independent company (I do not remember the name) and toxins were found on pads worn by people. Distilled water did turn the pads color.

But if you think they help, fine.

I have tried them and noticed the more I sweated the darker the pads--did not seem to have anything to do with pulling out toxins.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Hiker53.

Anyone that is interested in using the detox foot pads or the detox foot bath may want to check out the website of the retired chemistry professor, Dr. Stephen Lower.

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/FootBathBunk.html

Dr. Lower talks about the detox foot pads at the very bottom of that webpage.

Here is another interesting link about the detox foot bath:

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Detox-Foot-Bath

But if you think the detox foot pads are helping you then more power to you. Only the person wearing the detox foot pads will truly know how the pads make them feel. And that's all that really matters.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I can not take Chitosan internally because I get hives from some shell fish.

Does any know if I could still use the detox foot pads that list Chitosan as an ingredient?

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the Podi patches a couple years ago.

I stopped after only one night, because of the aroma.

I generally wear unscented products, and my husband doesn't like strongly aromatic stuff either.

Also, when I read about the results of the lab testing, the report said that the patches tested positive for asbestos.

Asbestos does not pass through the skin, so it could not have passed through the soles of the feet into the patch.

When you inhale it, you get cancer of the lung.
When you ingest it, you get cancer of the intestines.

If it's present in the feet, I think we would have heard about "asbestiosis of the feet."

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bogus. Don't waste your $$$. Do the research on the internet.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Carol,

I think the report indicates the asbestos was already in the foot pad, not that it came from someone's foot or I am misinterpreting what you meant. Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by SForsgren:
Byron, I think your information is misleading and inaccurate. Many doctors still support the use of these pads and testing has shown that they do help the body to detox. Do some reading....

They have had tests and studies, they showed no improvement.

I even tried them for a month to really see and they don't work.

The best detox is sweating and going to the bathroom [lick]

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried a few different brands & I didn't notice all that much of a difference.

It's kind of fun to use them but it's not a huge difference in my opinion.

You are better off trying to find a good sauna. If you live near a community of Koreans - they may have a bath house with an infrared sauna. We have some great ones here in NJ/NY area.

I heard that Japanese people like the infrared saunas, too.

Some of the pads have tourmaline (a mineral) which produces infrared waves... I'm not sure how potent it is.

Some brands actually have more herbs & others have more fillers. You have to compare them to find the best brand if you want to try them.

(Thanks, randibear ! That was very kind of you to send me some.)

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the asbestos thing, what brand was that? I would really like to know, because I tried one brand and liked them, and am trying another brand tonight just because my Dad randomly bought them for me.

As to whether or not they are bogus, I have something to say about that. I personally don't CARE if they detox me. I don't care whether or not they suck toxins out of my body through my feet. I don't care if the pads test positive for heavy metals after use or not! All I care about is, do I genuinely feel better after using them?

The answer to that is yes. I never would have tried them, but a member on Lymenet recommended them to me, so I gave it a shot. I wasn't even willing to purchase them, since I don't have much money to throw around, but ended up with a few samples from a friend.

They helped me fall asleep!!!! In the morning, I felt a little more energized than usual! I am 90% sure (that's pretty sure for me because I don't usually exaggerate) that I am not imagining that nor is it a coincidence.

I believe maybe the far-infared thing is helping, or maybe it's the herbs. Honestly, my main objective with them isn't hardcore detox, just to feel some relief, and I look forward to them just because that is what they provide.

So who cares what these studies say! There are a lot of supplements I take just to make me feel better, not necessarily because they pull unwanted things out of my body.

Also, I am sort of doubtful it's the sweat that's changing them colors. My feet never sweat, and also, I have this extremely small plantar's wart, and on the pad there was a perfect outline of it and the center was all white. To me, it seems like heat or sweat wouldn't have done that.

I'm not saying I believe the color change "means" anything, but that wart experience is something to consider. Perhaps something WAS going on, and my wart was evidently blocking it.

Maybe the herbs just interact with your foot and then the herbs sort of off-goo something? Like I said, it's not really an issue because if I can put stinky herbs and bamboo vinegar on my feet and it makes me sleep better, sign me up!!!

Anyways, I'm sure they are different for everyone, so use them at your own risk, but that is my experience.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nessa,

From my personal experience I tried the foot detox baths and I felt no different.

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: The ones I tried the first three nights that I liked a lot and helped me sleep were the Health Marvels ones.

I think they helped me sleep because of the negative ions and far-infared released by the Tourmaline in them.

I am addicted now!

I tried the Kinoki brand last night because I ran out of the others, and they were nothing like the Health Marvels ones.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement