LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron Side Effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron Side Effects
pepper8
Member # 13660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepper8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just put on 1,500mg of Mepron, along with Zithromax, for 6 weeks. I am very health conscious and I try to go running almost every day. I know that Mepron must be taken with fat, and I heard that 22g of fat is a good amount, but when I looked at food products, I was amazed by how much fat that really is. I'm used to having raisin bran & skim milk for breakfast, so I added almonds today, but 1oz is only 12g. 2 tbsp of peanut butter is only 14g. An entire sticky bun is only 12g. I feel disgusting by the amount of fat I have to take with the medicine. I was wondering if people experienced weight gain with the Mepron.

I figured I would run more now that I have to eat fat, though I heard there's bad herxes. My doctor said there's a high chance of me getting a rash and if I do, he said I'm not allowed to go running.

I know that in the scheme of things, I want to get better from the Lyme, but I don't want to end up overweight in the process.

Posts: 55 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can run... I question how bad you need mepron in the first place.

I'm 25 years old and was told I didn't have that bad of a lyme infection. I couldn't run right now if I wanted to.

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I can work out when I'm not herxing ..... I couldn't do cardio in the beginning, but now I can (except for this herx).

I do not gain any weight from the fat. I eat a piece of Ezekiel Bread with coconut oil and almond butter for breakfast. If you go to the "pure fat" like coconut oil, you will get the fat without all the sugar, etc. from things like sticky rolls.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveroflifeone
Member # 16450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveroflifeone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you. All my life I've been raised to eat healthy and now we have to eat 23 grams of fat with Mephron.

I use olive oil and make 1 egg with two corn tortillas and a little piece of mexican cheese to take my Mephron.

The two hours later I'll take 500 zithromax.

I was eating 2 teaspoons of almond butter and sometimes 1/2 avacado. Your dr is right no running. I was able to run in the morning before I got sick by the afternoon.

I've been on Mephron about a month in a half. I've gained 4 pounds. because I'm not able to get around as much but I just started to feel better so I'm going to go to the gym to do my weights since I'm not allow to run.

Good luck and stick with it we can lose weight later. I'm currently fighting Babesia and this is the best I've felt after 21 days on it but I;ve been pretty sick and last week was sick for 5 days straight I could bearly take food and meds since I was so nausious.

Posts: 22 | From California | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loosing weight is Easy

Loosing Babs is Hard -Jay

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepper8
Member # 13660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepper8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. Yea, I know losing weight is a lesser concern than the Lyme stuff, but it's still really hard for me. I'm just so used to eating healthy that I feel like I'm clogging my arteries when I have to eat so much fat twice a day. I hadn't thought of olive oil though, so thanks!
Posts: 55 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The highest fat you can get in a food is macademia nuts--about three grams of fat per nut!!!

I eat them, and also coconut cream, which isn't that high in fat, but tastes like the inside of an almond joy bar.

Olives are also high--about 1-2 grams each.

I have gained about 3-4 pounds since I started on Mepron about 3 months ago. Not happy about that part, but I am thinking more clearly....

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on malarone and I take it with a tablespoon of olive oil and a small glass of whole milk.

I personally wouldn't mind fattening up a bit, but I'm health conscious in doing it. I'd rather get my fat from a healthy source like olive oil or nuts than candy bars and sticky buns!

Just remember - there are good fats and bad fats. Choose the good fats to take your mepron with and then you won't feel so guilty.

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement