LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone had a symptoms increase after an MRI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone had a symptoms increase after an MRI?
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird question ...I know.

I had a brain MRI yesterday. I have had some very near normal days for a month now and then today, EVERYTHING, I mean everything hurts. (This doesn't feel like a herx and I don't believe it is).

The only thing I have done different was the MRI, made me wonder if the high magnetic field can disrupt the spirochetes in some way?

I did read today that MRI's have always been reported the safest way to go (vs - CAT scan's, etc.) but recent research has found that it can make people dizzy, nauseated and cause a metal taste. That is odd, because about 4 years ago I had an MRI followed by an extreme bout of vertigo (that was prior to LD -or at least I think it was).

Having a unique bacteria (Bb) I can only wonder what might upset it and why I am having some serious, serious pain issues today.

Maybe its coincidence..that is why I am asking you.

Thanks.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't believe you are asking this question! I thought it was just me. Everytime I have an MRI, I am a mess physically for days. Dizzy, leg cramps, burning sensation in spine and overall increased pain in whatever "area" might be hurting me that particular day.
At this point, I am pretty much convinced that there is something in an MRI that "stirs" things up.
This didn't happen to me with MRI's until the past couple of years.
Maybe the machines are stronger, or maybe my body is just that much more sensitive now.
Don't know....but you are definately NOT alone!

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's possible. It's been reported multiple times. Look into Rife Machines, you'll find out why the MRI seems to cause Herxheimer reactions in some patients.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I don't care if I'm dying, I will NEVER have another MRI as long as I'm alive.

I've had major set-backs from them, some set-backs from which I never regained ground.

Mostly, even with ear plugs, they have just smashed my ears and entire vestibular system.

And the ear plugs don't fit well enough to prevent hearing damage - and they still click on a microphone and nearly scream in your ear through the stethescope/ear plug contraption.

For my ears, the MRI was worthless. I just had a special CT scan done and the inner/middle ear system was far better seen and it was quiet (or would have been had the generator not been in the same room - that was awful but not as jolting to the bone as the MRI).

Anyway, others seem to breeze through MRI's and I may just have a very different experience. the last couple have triggered seizures from the intense clanging - or the tech's voice in my ears.

But, the tech's never saw that happen for anyone else. They thought I was very odd. Sad.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - ok! That is amazing!

Cordor - How many days until you "recovered"?

Keebler - did it cause "chronic" dizziness for you? I am so sorry to read this!

Metallic blue - does it cause a die off or some other reaction, cyst busting etc.?

Also..for no reason (on top of pain everywhere) I have lost my voice, it started immediately after the MRI, laryingitus just comes on for no reason??? By last night I couldn't speak at all it hurt so bad exerting to speak. I can barely talk! What the...?

Thanks for making me feel normal - someone give me some hope here, is this gonna settle down soon????? [Frown]

[ 06. August 2008, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is probably happening, is the MRI, because it produces such a powerful Electromagnetic field, it likely kills infectious bacteria that resonate at the particular frequencies hit by the MRI machine.

Rife Machines allow you to control specific frequencies. It has been discovered that very specific frequencies seem to cause bacterium to rupture, and thus die.

Lyme Disease has a number of frequencies, and is believed -- because of it's shape -- to be more fragile when exposed to EMF fields of particular frequencies.

I'm speaking in very primitive terms here. Let me give you something a bit more descriptive.

Read this:

http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-disease-rife-machines-bryan-rosner

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymebytes, thank you. I didn't have an MRI, but I had a SPECT, and I tell you, it felt like my head was going to implode.

It went on for a couple of days. Spinning sensations, things moving around in there, you name it.

Glad to know I am not alone, though I am sorry you had to go through this.

mazou

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes ...ME too .I had an MRI for my Liver in my journey to check what was wrong with me and had to get out of MRI as my anxiety began.

The second time I went to ER ( aftert hey called 911) and I was numb and shaking and they put me on a cat scan.Went home had siesures.

That day I had a cat scan.My LYME became active from head to toe.

5 months after I had known went to ER for my Brain swelling enchephalitis.My headache stoped...I was already using RIFe and MY BART AND LYME was having a party.

Somehow my headache stoped after the CAT SCAN.Killed the bugs and my brain also.

MRI is safer , CATscan was not.I was hoping to GET an MRI but I got an cat scan.

4r-th time 5 month later I had an MRI with CONTRAST and was on treatment with antibiotics and did fine.

These were within 2 years !!!!!

(Revised - MRI with contrast)

[ 06. August 2008, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Alv ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With or without contrast?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Alv, why do you say a CT scan is less safe than an MRI?

I've had two of each and both MRI's (w/o contrast) nearly did me in. Both CT scans were a walk in the park.

lymebytes: I can't single out the dizziness, since I had seizures from sounds while getting the past two MRI's -- the seizures' injuries pretty much superceded the increased dizziness.

But, I will say it takes me about six months after an MRI to get back to where I had been before. Again, this is not to scare anyone. I do seem to have some very unusual reactions.

My friend with advanced cancer actually takes a little nap during her MRI's. We are both rather calm and positive in spirit but, oh, my, bodies are not from the same planet, I think !

I guess if I had had a LLMD who could have interpreted the MRI I would not have felt it was such damage for so little information.

So, a few little strokes. "normal"

A few white spots. "normal"

Narrowed area of neck vertebrae. "normal"

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Lymetoo - w/out contrast.

Keebler thanks for response..so sorry this happened to you. CT scans are dangerous due the extremely high radiation. A quote from this link: http://tinyurl.com/5hbdea Reads:

....the amount of radiation that patients are exposed to during CT scans may in some cases be equivalent to that received by some survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs.According to some estimates, the radiation exposure a patient receives from a full-body CT scan is often 500 times that of a conventional X-ray and about the same as that received by people living 2.4 kilometres away from the centres of the World War II atomic blasts in Japan.

I had a full body CT scan (of course) when in search of my diagnosis and I actually felt BETTER, how is that for weird? I swear it was the iodine they made me drink...I was probably deficient or the high radiation killed off some LD..who knows? I never knew until later what I was exposing myself to, they can be cancer causing according that link above.

Yesterday did it for me, that was my last MRI...I was suppose to have my neck done, but they had to re-schedule it in 2 weeks, I won't be there. The machine was brand new, not as noisy as most and I was dozing off.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... I'm sorry it was so bad for you. That is really terrible. [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

MRI machines can cause some crazy herxes.

The pulsing magnets is the same theory of a magnetic pulser except about 100 times stronger.

lymebytes
Member # 11830

So is the bottom line I just killed off a bunch of bacteria? Which likely feels equivalent to a 10 Flagyl, IV and a few Bicillin shots!

MRI must stand for Murder Remaining Infection!

Something must be dying, hope it isn't me! [Eek!]

Well maybe MRI's are the cure, instead of HBOT's do 50 MRI's...oh, boy, fun! [rant]

Thanks Lymetoo...it really has brought on some sparking nerve pain even in my lips and one side of my face! I had a horrible toothache last night and my voice disappeared! I was wondering all day what is wrong, I have had symptoms I haven't had since the start of treatment!

[ 07. August 2008, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------

tailz
Unregistered

If it were truly killing any one of these microorgansims, and you were truly having a herxheimer reaction, you would feel worse initially and then gradually better.

So if having an MRI or CT scan has such a profound effect at worsening your symptoms, you likely gave them precisely the 'signals' they needed to reproduce, and you are electrosensitive like I am.

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Report back to this thread when you feel better.

--------------------

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go here for a primer, read and be SURE to go to the next page also!:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mri6.htm

If you think a MRI caused a reaction...

Say NO to a gallium scan!

Likely that might also cause a huge reaction.

For example:

When gallium is mistakenly picked up by bacteria such as Pseudomonas, the bacteria's ability to *respire* is interfered with and the bacteria die.

Bb follows BOTH the glycolysis AND oxidative phosphorylation pathways. It needs SOME, but not a lot of oxygen.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Well day 2 - thanks for all your replies.

Metallic Blue - it is still early but I am having some sparking nerve stuff going on and tingling...the only thing that caused a similar feeling was Bicillin....but this might be worse.

I will let you know how things go...this is unbelievable!

Marnie - thanks for the link I am going to read it now. I will NEVER have any test done until I ask here if anyone has had a "reaction". EDIT: Great link, thank you!

I really hope this is only a die off and not a set back...scares me.

--------------------

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

It should only be a die-off response. I suggest you investigate Activated Charcoal and use 500mg to 1000mg 3 times per day (Away from your medications), to reduce this Herxheimer.

I recommend this only because it's the cheapest and easiest to get quickly. Other treatments work well, but I'll leave that up to others to respond.

Lemon and water can help, though I don't know by experience.

Chlorella works, Burbur works, etc.

--------------------

lymebytes
Member # 11830

Metallic Blue- OMG, how funny!
I actually wrote an article on Activated Charcoal after my son had such a severe die off to flagyl I almost took him to the hospital. Then my LLMD suggested A/C, I thought he was crazy suggesting some store bought thing!

But I was so impressed I posted an entire article on my site about it...and planned on doing some today. Glad you know too how great A/C is..it is amazing for herxing, nausea, etc.

Thanks for reassurance about this being a die off reaction.

I wonder how many LLMD's are aware of an MRI causing this? I will be talking to mine in a week or so...can't wait to hear what he says.

--------------------

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Now that I recall, I did read your webpage on Activated Charcoal. It was probably 3 months ago.

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, I had an MRI because of my chronic vertigo and MCS.

The noise didnt bother me. I had ear plugs and rifle ear protection.

I did notice I felt a little off afterwards but no biggie.

And what were the results.....drum roll please...

NORMAL> AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was so upset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping they would find something. Thats why I started the thread "SPECT scan for chronic vertigo."

Its my worst symptom by far next to the neuropathy.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

glad the noise did not bother you.

Even for lyme patients, my ears seem to be very tender. And, a recent CT scan indicates some possible bone loss in a middle ear canal - and that can create much more severe hyperacusis, so it may not all be from lyme - and, so others may not have the same noise reactions as do I.

Ear plugs actually make the intense vibrations worse for me. The vibrations/noises are amplified in my brain - and that is typical of the middle ear condition.

Still, many patients with lyme are very sensitive in the noise category, so it's good to be aware as such exposures create a tremendous stressor that can take months to get over if the adrenal system - in additon to near assault on the ears - is taken for a bad ride.

Those with tinnitus should be extremely careful of any noise exposures and an MRI pretty much tops the list. Ear plugs do not cancel out all the noise, but are vital to have in place.

-

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can give my experiences with a brain MRI, with and without contrast, performed last year. I didn't notice feeling any worse during or after the treatment.
Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

My MRI didn't really cause me to get worse, either.
tailz
Unregistered

For those who feel worse after a scan, I wouldn't assume it was a 'herx'.

I reacted HORRIBLY to a SPECT scan - took every ounce of my energy to NOT urinate during the test, even though I had gone prior to the test. I'm not sure if the SPECT gives off electromagnetic radiation, microwave/radiowave radiation, or both - anybody know?

I feel my bugs moving around 24/7, in response to area cell phone networks and wi-fi.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

lymebytes,

Gasp! Still, thanks for the radiation info. on the CT scan. Oh, my!

-

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a SPECT scan, but I'd just like to update this topic with what I've had in addition to an MRI - a full body PET scan.

PET requires injection of radioactively tagged glucose, but the amount of radiation is really quite small,

I didn't experience any exacerbation of symptoms with PET either. The sensitivity and usefulness of PET as a lyme diagnostic is debated at this point - some believe it is a better test than the SPECT, but it is cost prohibitive. Others think that it isn't as useful as SPECT. It can however, assess damage to many bodily systems. It was covered by my insurance at the time.

Edit: Tailz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECT

They use gamma rays, so yes they're part of the spectrum, but a far different part of it compared to cell phones etc.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Keebler - don't feel bad I had a full body CT scan two years ago and had no idea either!

I found a pdf on the safety of MRI's and learned some things,it increases brain temp., can cause peripheral nerve stimulation (my nerves are sparking ALL over) among other things. I just wonder between the internal heat increase and radio waves (as in rifing) it killed some bacteria.

I have to admit this is the WEIRDEST thing ever. I couldn't have imagined anything like this, but apparently I am not alone. Day 2 (Thurs) turned out horrible, pain, pain, pain. Now day 3 ... I am unsure yet how I feel yet or when this is going to end, but hopefully my body is settling down some we'll see. All I know is that I am finished with tests - except ultra sounds, never had a problem with that.

--------------------

FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a pretty awful experience during an MRI of my cervical spine yesterday, and I've been trying to determine how much of it was physical effects of the scan vs. anxiety. Basically, my hands and feet went tingly/numb, my heart was beating weirdly and I was totally freaked out. After it was over, I very very dizzy when I stood up, and continued to feel that way for another 15-20 minutes. Then the tingling feeling went away in my extremities and I felt normal again.

I think a panic attack can produce similar symptoms, but with the crazy magnetism combined with RF waves (which heat tissue, thats why pregnant women are told to avoid MRI's) I can't help but wonder. I have read that "peripheral nerve stimulation" is a documented MRI side effect, and I've seen this in the MRI guidelines:

quote:
You should notify the technologist if you feel any breathing difficulties, sweating, numbness, or heart palpitations.
Which is exactly what happened to me. Is that because they expect people to have panic attacks, or because the MRI itself can produce those symptoms?
Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

FunkOdyssey
I read about that and think I absolutely had peripheral nerve stimulation....nerve pain has been high since the MRI. With my nerve problems had I known this prior to the MRI I would have NEVER done it...is this "stimulation" supppose to stop right away or what? All I need is a setback after trudging through this for over 2 years..scares me to death.

I just hope this stops soon.

Here is a quote from an abstract I found at this website - http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0031-9155/46/2/323

Problem is, it does NOT say when the "stimulation" should stop. OMG, wouldn't and LLMD know this? Especially one that I have complained over and over to about my peripheral neuropathy? I am very upset at him right now about this..:

Abstract. When patients undergo a magnetic resonance imaging scan, they are subject to both strong static and temporal magnetic fields. The temporal fields are designed to vary at each point in the region being imaged. This is achieved by the use of gradient coils. However, when the gradient coils are switched very rapidly, the strongly time-varying magnetic fields produced can be responsible for stimulating nerves in the peripheral regions of the body. This paper gives a somewhat novel explanation for this phenomenon. The physical mechanism suggested is supported by an illustrative theoretical calculation.

And again....from this pdf: http://tinyurl.com/5uzyfy

High-strength, high-slew-rate gradient coils are desired in modern MRI for better image quality and faster imaging speed. However, rapidly time-varying magnetic fields produced
by gradient coils induce electric fields in tissue, which can cause peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS). This significantly limits our ability to take full advantage of these high-performance gradient systems. Despite considerable research in this area in recent years, the relationship between PNS thresholds and gradient coil linear region dimensions or gradient performance parameters is still not
well understood. In this study, we investigated this relationship.

During it...I was fine, I almost fell asleep.

Later I noticed I felt warm, almost feverish, MRI's I learned raise brain temperature too.

I haven't felt much better yet, really bad tonight..going on day 4 tomorrow.

How are you feeling now?

[ 09. August 2008, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------

FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt normal again later that evening, but I did notice that about 15-20 minutes later that I felt unusually warm even though it was cold in the room. I don't think the peripheral nerve stimulation would continue after the scan is over, this is something that occurs during the scan while you are in the presence of the magnetic fields.
Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an MRI & MRV this morning. It took a long time, about 80 minutes. I don't feel any different.

I did have pain during the MRI because I had prolotherapy on my right side (neck/shoulder/back) 2 days ago. The "cushion" you lay your head on was really hurting the back of head during the last 20 minutes.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

You are lucky. Healthy people rebound immediately, but I am not so sure about that with Lyme (for some of us). I just got a p/m that someone said it took 2 weeks to recover from an MRI...I will never get one again....isn't worth it, especially after seeing so many here that have responded badly to different types of tests. Geeez....who knew?

This bacteria is very strange and you never know what is going to make it worse.

--------------------

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymebytes:
You are lucky. Healthy people rebound immediately, but I am not so sure about that with Lyme (for some of us). I just got a p/m that someone said it took 2 weeks to recover from an MRI...I will never get one again....isn't worth it, especially after seeing so many here that have responded badly to different types of tests. Geeez....who knew?

This bacteria is very strange and you never know what is going to make it worse.

My two sons have had several MRI/MRA/MRV's and they feel OK after the procedure. Their main symptom is a bad headache and it's worse right after the procedure but OK by the time we get home. All of us are chronic neuro lymies. My sons do have pseudo-tumor cerebri too.

Peggy

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really interesting thread for me. I had an MRI about a month ago for my knee. I got the open MRI so it is not as strong as the closed MRI magnets. Midway through I started wheezing. Ever since, my wheezing/congestion flared up again after having been much quieter and better for many months. I couldn't figure it out. I thought maybe it irritated the tissues.

But one thing I really wonder about. They say that for instance if you have a little shard of metal in your eye from 20 years ago you can't get an MRI as the metal will tear out of your eye and fly to the magnet.

Well what if we have heavy metal "poisoning", which many people these days, do. How do we know what gets thrown around our cells during an MRI?

I don't think its killing bacteria. I do think it agitated and threw my system off. It was really weird. My wheezing had improved a great deal (when I went back on my vitamin/mineral/glutathione IV's). If it were something else like mold in the facility, I would have been better by the next day.

So I think it can really throw a sensitive system off but not sure why. If it does heat up your cells, or the fields pull metals out, that might be why.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

It is funny you mention that too. I wondered if we had heavy metals if it might flare something, how ironic. I agree, I don't think it is killing bacteria either, I think it puts a tremendous amount of stress on a "diseased" body.

What about amalgam fillings, they are metal, but ok?

Look below at the quote from and MRI site, " magnetic fields produced by gradient coils induce electric fields in tissue" doesn't sound good to me.

Dr. Burrascano says to stay away from any kind of electrical stimulation, even like TENS therapy is a big no-no..but yet recommends MRI's and SPECT scans. I don't think LLMD's know how these machines really work! They are "electrical stimulating".

I was doing VERY well - my nerve pain and over all pain was very low and then the night after the MRI I lost my voice, couldn't speak! Had a horrible toothache, then felt feverish. The next morning the nerve pain was unbearable.

These are extremely complex machines and not as safe as we are led to believe. The magnets can over heat burning the patient inside.

Open MRI's you are exposed exactly twice as long to the all of the following, they are much slower. I have had both closed and open and always have chosen closed the last few times to get in and out quickly. The newer closed MRI's are very fast and not nearly as noisy as some of the open MRI's I experienced. An open MRI gave me horrible vertigo about 4 years ago.

3 things go on, the magnets heat up, increasing body temperature, the radio waves "slice" through the entire body, not just the part being MRI'd and then the "peripheral nerve stimulation".

I have an extremely sensitive nervous system due to Lyme. I had many MRI's throughout the years prior to the nerve pain starting and never had a problem,not once (makes me wonder if all tests I did have started the nerve pain) I cannot stand warm water (baths)anything w/heat exasperates the pain.

I am calling them Monday, I am angry that they KNEW I had nerve pain and did NOT warn me of the following:

Abstract. When patients undergo a magnetic resonance imaging scan, they are subject to both strong static and temporal magnetic fields. The temporal fields are designed to vary at each point in the region being imaged. This is achieved by the use of gradient coils. However, when the gradient coils are switched very rapidly, the strongly time-varying magnetic fields produced can be responsible for stimulating nerves in the peripheral regions of the body. This paper gives a somewhat novel explanation for this phenomenon. The physical mechanism suggested is supported by an illustrative theoretical calculation.

And again....from this pdf: http://tinyurl.com/5uzyfy

High-strength, high-slew-rate gradient coils are desired in modern MRI for better image quality and faster imaging speed. However, rapidly time-varying magnetic fields produced
by gradient coils induce electric fields in tissue, which can cause peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS). This significantly limits our ability to take full advantage of these high-performance gradient systems. Despite considerable research in this area in recent years, the relationship between PNS thresholds and gradient coil linear region dimensions or gradient performance parameters is still not
well understood. In this study, we investigated this relationship.

--------------------

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they'll understand (calling them about the pain).
How about some valium or benzo short term to quiet down the over excited nerves?

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

I think that's the way to go. When I go next week for the MRI of my brain, I'm loading up on xanax beforehand. That should help me determine whether my symptoms during/immediately after the scan are anxiety-related or physically induced by the MRI.
lymebytes
Member # 11830

I actually did load up on Xanax before the MRI I was extremely relaxed, so much so I was falling asleep (maybe that was the problem, maybe if I hadn't taken the Xanax I would have noticed pain there) and now becaues of the nerve pain, I have had to take xanax everyday since!

Like I said I have had 6-7 maybe more MRI's in the past 10 years...nothing happened except the one time I had the open MRI and had vertigo. They don't make me nervous I have had so many, I was totally confident and relaxed. The only difference is the MRI's I had previously, I didn't have nerve pain as a symptom...I didn't have LD as far as I know, I may have, but I didn't have nerve pain.

During the MRI I felt fine, I nearly fell asleep. Later that night is when all he!% broke loose.

I know that my peripheral nerves are extremely sensitive, especially to heat...had I known that the MRI heats you up internally, I would have said no.

No, they may not understand the pain, but they do understand that MRI's can cause peripheral nerve stimulation. The tech asked me right before the MRI what my symptoms were, I said peripheral neuropathy..you think the idiot would have said, "Well this could stimulate and heat up your nervous system".

I would have said forget it. They will hear from me in a way they won't forget, I am ticked (no pun intended - can't use the other word)! [rant]

I honestly cannot believe this happened, if I saw a post like this and hadn't experienced it, I'd think it was coincendence, that a herx or something else happened, but I can tell you this was no herx.

I have taken my temp nightly, I am usually about 96.5 - it has been 98 degrees since the MRI...I haven't had a 98 degree temp ever! Last night I had night sweats, which I have never had.

Oh, well, it is done now. I WISH I had felt something there and had them stop, but I was so relaxed on xanax, I couldn't believe how fast it was!

--------------------

proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had problems with my last 2 MRIs. The first time I felt as though my head was going to explode. I told the tech. and he just said I was probably nervous.

The second time i got really scared. I got all clogged up in the head, short of breath and couldn't stop sneezing. Later that week I had my first so called anxiety attack.

Both times these happened during the test and both techs. looked confused. So as usual I figured that it too was all in my head.

Until reading this thread I haven't even thought about those instances.

Next time I'll disscus this with my Dr.(LLMD). I don't see a way to really avoid having one though, maybe I'll tap into my stash of Xanax like others here.

proudmom [hi]

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Proudmom,
Oh my gosh! You made me remember the last MRI I had 2 years ago, when I was searching desperately then for what was wrong with me.

I had an MRI and same thing...my head felt like it was going to explode, this extremely high pressure feeling, I couldn't wait to get out.

I completely forgot about this..I had a headache for 2 weeks following that one!

No, these definitely aren't coincidence...I will say it again..they will never MRI me again!

--------------------

jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymebytes,

I had a SPECT scan done recently.

Some type of radioactive tracer was used.

I was told I had to take it.

I was scared, but I took a chance.

Who knows exactly what was in it?

I definitely experienced an increase in brainfog, dizziness, fatigue, and muscle weakness for several days afterwards.

That's all I know though.

I hope it helps.

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

To be fair, there have been something like only eight documented deaths EVER from an MRI, and half of them were because of metal objects in the area of the magnet that became projectiles. And I am desperately interested to know whether I have any lesions in my brain as a result of Lyme. And should there be any, I will want to check periodically in the future to chart my healing progress.

So my statistical understanding of MRI safety combined with necessity will send me back to that vile machine as many times as necessary. Just have to man up, with the help of some xanax. Ideally, I will not know my name or whereabouts when I get on that table. [Smile]

FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Just wanted to follow up on this, I had another MRI a week later, this time of the brain (before was cervical spine). I took 1mg of xanax beforehand and just closed my eyes during the scan and held my fiancee's hand. I also had better and louder music coming in through the headphones to distract me. Results? None of the various problems I had before, no tingling, no numbness, no dizziness, no anxiety, no nothing.

I can only conclude that with the possible exception of a couple very minor and brief muscle twitches in your far extremities (fingers, feet as a result of peripheral nerve stimulation), the MRI has no discernable physical effects once anxiety has been eliminated from the picture. I know there's nothing we people with Lyme hate more than hearing "its all in your head", but just occasionally, its actually true.

Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, but only when I have it with contrast. There are tons of warnings and recall requests all over the Net for the dye that is typically used. It's crazy.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abbyjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbyjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I had an EMG (before I knew what was wrong

with me). It is a painless process where you

sit back in a chair and they tape electric

wires all along your head. Well about 15 min.

in to the 2.5 hr. test I got this extreme

burning sensation in in the back of my head! It

felt like a cigerette was being put out on my

head. I thought the little wire must be doing

it. I stuck it out and when she was done i told

her one of the wires was really burning. I

showed her where and she said there was no wire

there. Next I had the MRI and sure enough the

burning came back and after I was done it

totally went away. I'd like to think it was

actually doing me a favor!

--------------------
abbyjo

Posts: 255 | From Southern CA. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Actually I would expect it to kill some keets.
They discovered that lyme has a polar + and - and believe it may be the switch for the efflux pump, and lyme pees and poos though this switch they also believe I think you can see the implications.

capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that MRI aggrevate symptoms...Last year I had brain MRI and then developed exacerbation of severe spinal headache and seizure activity that lasted for a few days afterwards. Then MRI abdomen today with contrast to r/o kidney tumor...now severe panic and internal vibrations that serm to be coming from abdomen when I eat...similar symptoms when I coil with 787 for bartonella..PET Scan was totally tolerable and never caused any of these symptoms!!
Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone been helped as symptoms getting better after having an MRI?? Lisa
Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Ok I am checking in as promised...

Metallic Blue asked me to check back when symptoms subsided.

If you have not read all my posts, please remember NONE of this started to effect me until hours after the MRI. I was totally and completely relaxed during the procedure and had no clue of what would start that evening and last the next 2 weeks! I refuse the Gadolinium (IV dye)to ensure a safe MRI and this still happened.

It took 2 weeks to recover from the MRI.

I spoke with the nuero radiologist Md (not a tech an MD)..he said some people have sensitivities to MRI's - I sound like one of them. He also admitted that Mri's have only been around 25-30 years and they do not know of all the dangers yet!! [cussing]

He explained that it is true body temp is raised and the magnetic field can be irritating to some as well as the radio frequencies and the peripheral nerve stimulation.

I am not the first he said, and not the last to have a symptoms increase.

I had a lot of painful neuropathy the past two weeks, (it really has been horrible) that felt like bee stings everywhere, shooting pains, muscle spasms in my legs very bad - even though the MRI was of my brain, I had symptoms all throughout my body and it just wrecked my legs even more.

I think I can safely say it has as subsided now and I am back to "lyme normal" I..  -

I will never do any test like this again.... I HEAR YA KEEBLER!!! Never!!! I don't care if I am dying either.. [rant]

I have spoken to several people through p/m...2 weeks seems to be the "normal".

I don't think this was a herx...I think it was quite irritating to a sensitive, painful body.

Hope other's I have heard from recover quickly.

Please remember the following:
MRI uses a large magnet and radio frequency coils to create cross-sectional images or "slices" of the body. The magnet used is approximately 30,000 times stronger than the earth's magnetic field and as such, can actually pull the molecules of the body into alignment with it. Radio frequencies are then beamed across the body to cause these molecules to vibrate, or "resonate", and give off a radio signal of its own. Specialized coils then collect these signals and make an image of the area being scanned. Side effects include, peripheral nerve stimulation, agitation, anxiety, nausea, dizziness and more

Take care.

[ 20. August 2008, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------

Connieaag
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connieaag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so interesting! My daughter had a Brain MRI Monday and has been flat on her back with pain at an 11 ever since. She was managing pain pretty well with MS Contin 3 x day until the MRI. Now we can't get it to calm down at all. I never thought about the MRI or the dye. I think there is a connection.

BTW she just had heavy metal urine testing and does not have any metals in her body.

Posts: 93 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Connie,
Thanks for responding here and thanks for letting us know she has no heavy metals. One of my suspicions was maybe some of us that are sensitive have heavy metals..that is good to know.

I am sorry she is pain..NOTHING helped me either, not xanax, oxycontin, vicodin, nothing! Ibuprofen took the edge off - but it was all worthless.

I hope she feels better soon, I wish more would report back that have recently had a bad experience and let us know how long it took to feel better.

Like I said...2 weeks seems to be the "norm".

Hope she feels better sooner.

--------------------

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could hardly walk after my MRI.

Definitely, all symptoms were worse for several days.

I think the keets feed on the energy.

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird. In the times Ive had an MRI, Ive actually felt better afterwards.

I would question if its not the magnetic field, then perhaps its related to the contrast or saline solution.

When I was laying there and they injected the solution into me, I immediately felt it going through my skull. I noted that to the assistant, but he probably figured I was a nut. My theory is that the saline solution is running through the different parts of the brain, killing off the infection as it goes along. It would sense because if you have a sore throat, you gargle salt water to sooth the throat, and kill of the crud.

When people talk about salt and Vitamin C, isn't that a similiar thing? Salt to kill it, Vit C as the antioxidant?

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement