LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » At your first LLMD appt, did your doctor test you for all coinfections?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: At your first LLMD appt, did your doctor test you for all coinfections?
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine only tested for bart, but not the others. Is it because maybe based on my sx he did not feel the need?

I'm a little concerned about this, or is the meds he's put me on good for lyme and co?

I heard you a few times that you are supposed to hit the co's first, is that true? But there's no good testing for them, is that right?

.....still trying to learn.

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD did not test me for co-infections.

He diagnosed me based on symptoms with babesia and bartonella.

I later had an Igenex Fish done....it was negative.

LLMD decided to treat me based on symptoms.

I started on doxy for Lyme and continued this for a couple of months with my LLMD.

He wanted to get my germ load down so to speak prior to starting any other therapies.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been sick and treating for four years. Just today, the new LLMD's office I recently consulted with called me to tell me I am positive for Erlichiosis.

I don't think I have ever been tested for it before. That means four years of it with no treatment.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newp.

I found out this year beginning of 2008 that I have erlichia through my new LLMD. Unfortunately, he didn't feel much like treating it either and said "diflucan would cure it". LOL um.. so yeah I'm looking for a real LLMD, but I am glad he found this coinfection.

Ive been to quite a few LLMD-s he was the only one that tested. SOME treated. Some had no clue what coinfections were, so I left them.

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the best treatment for Erlichiosis?
Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine tested for everything. He sent out to 3 different labs based on what he was looking for.
I guess it all depends on the symptoms someone has.

I still have 1 week to wait for all the results to come in.

proudmom [hi]

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was tested at my first appt. for all co-infections and am now tested every 90 days for co-infections that continue to be positive.

Once per year I get an entire LD/co-infection test run at Igenex.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rachellemarie:
What is the best treatment for Erlichiosis?

I thought it was doxy!!?

My LLMD tested me for babs at the same time as Lyme. He also got my Lyme germ load down before beginning the babs treatment.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

www.ilads.org -- ILADS Treatment Guildlines

[edited to delete Rx and dose: I had answered for ehrlichia, not bart)

Some LLMDs will ASSESS, but not necessarily test, due to limitations in testing or a patient's budget. Still, it's important to ask about coinfections so you have a better idea of your overall plan of action.

Yet, sometimes, until a patient gets on a tx plan for lyme, it may not be clear what coinfections to consider - or until a doctor can get to know a patient a bit better.

However, for questions of this nature, be sure to ask.

Not everything can be covered in a first appt., but you might make a short questions and ask to schedule a short phone follow-up. (A longer list of questions would wait for next appt. or might be answered by more reading.)

You could also send by mail (or email) a short list of short-answer questions and the doctor might be better able to send you back your answers if phone time is not available.

Certain doctors might have a preferred way of handling this, so you could ask their office staff what might work best, or if there is another staff member who can field such questions.

Singleton's "The Lyme Disease Solution" - at www.amazon.com is a current book - 2008 - and has more detail.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep--Igenex caught my bart (IgG +)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, and a slew of other tests.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement