LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » provigil for energy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: provigil for energy
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering about personal outcomes on anyone taking provigil to increase energy and to fight fatigue.

I NEED to find something so I can go back to work...

Researched-but your information is always better.

Does it work?
Side-effects?
Cost/insurance?
LLMD's willing to prescribe?

THANKS!
wantabe [dizzy]

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people like Provigil.

I didn't like it because it didn't help my cognitive fatigue at all, so though I felt a little "boosted," I was still very spacey to the point that the slightly increased energy didn't make me any more functional.

Personally, I feel like a latte gave me the same effects, so I was like, "what's the point?"

I liked Adderall better for fighting fatigue and getting things done. You just have to be careful with it. Don't take more than you "need," in fact, take a little less than you think you need.

Ultimately, I didn't like taking Adderall for more than a day or two, because I feel like it was making my body push to do things it didn't have the energy to do. I also just could not get decent sleep when taking it. Maybe for you this would not happen though.

I have also tried Ritalin, but actually became slightly tipsy and drowsy on it.

As I said, lots of people like Provigil, but for me it wasn't improving my quality of life enough to merit taking it.

If I were you, I would just see a psychiatrist for it if you can find one you like. I feel like they have more expertise in these areas than LLMDs. Psychiatrists live and breath this stuff, and have used the drugs more widely, but that is just my two cents.

A couple other things you could consider for fatigue are Strattera (start at 18mg and increase very slowly....taking more than you need gives lots of side effects), Effexor, or Wellbutrin.....they may work better for your fatigue than a plain stimulant like Provigil because neurotransmitters can affect energy levels, I believe.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It works to an extent. I took it for extreme fatigue, and it did help on days when I needed to be able to somewhat function.

You might want to start with a low dose, because jumping right into it, you might not be able to sleep that night.

No real side effects here.

It's expensive, and getting your insurance to cover it might be tricky. Mine would not, and my doc gave me samples.

Those samples were like gold, and I reserved provigil for days I absolutely had to have it, and tried to stay at 1/2 a pill. Some days I needed more, but for the most part that kept me going.

Hope this helps a little bit.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was like a chipmunk with a couple shots of espresso after taking Provigil.

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy, and had to find something that would keep me awake. Provigil did it, but a little too well... Switched to Adderall, whose side effects weren't pleasurabl, but didn't keep me up for days at a time.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly5907
Member # 13734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly5907     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it.. I only take half of one when I need it and I make sure to take it early so I can sleep at night.. I had no side effects at all.. My llmd prescribed it for me.. Good Luck
Posts: 28 | From Long Island | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Adderall and it works great. It makes me feel awake and gives me some focus, and it really helps with the brain fog.

It doesn't help if I am really sick, and I only take it on functional days to help me to actually function effectively.

I have horrible insomnia anyway, so I cannot say it interrupts my sleep. When I'm having a bad day I could take double my dose and still fall right back to sleep.

I don't experience any side effects, though it made me feel a little spacey the first week or two. Going down on the dose helped a lot.

On the other hand, I can't tolerate caffeine at all. It makes my heart race, hands shake, and gives me anxiety.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had pretty good results with 100 mg. It hasn't worked so well recently, but don't know if I've developed a tolerance (after taking daily for 3 months) or if it because I am feeling worse overall and have been herxing a lot.

I definitely recommend giving Provigil a try. The key to getting it approved through the insurance company is to have your doctor say it is for fatigue caused by depression (or it may be depression caused by fatigue). Your doctor will have to submit a form to your insurance company to get the Provigil approved. The list will have several options of "approved uses". The only approved use that does not require a sleep disorder is the one that involves depression due to fatigue, or vice versa.

If you try it, let us know how it works for you. Also, expect headaches the first few days you take Provigil. The headaches normally start as the Provigil starts to wear off. I also woke up the next day with "hangover" type headache. But the headache should go away after a few days of use.

Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!

Erica

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have like it if it didnt give me a MIGRANE.

This migrane didnt go away with advil either. Just sleep,

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your replies!
I see my LLMD on Monday and will ask about this. It just might be what I want.

Sleep disorder has been a secondary diagnosis on my clinical statements. Is this enough or do I have to take special tests?

I sleep as much as I can this summer, but once work returns, I'll be fighting for 7 hours in bed. [sleepy] I know this just isn't enough.

I am on iv's 10 hours a day -doxy & rifampin

along w/other prescriptions- tindamax, ambien, clonazepam, nystatin, nortriptyline, nefedipine, and hormones

I take B12 meth. shots daily

and supplements- too many to list.

I use my infrared sauna 3X a week.

I follow a no gluten, dairy, sugar, caffine, alcohol, taste diet carefully.

I have cut out all community activities and extra school duties. My family allows me to do nothing at home [kiss] so I can come home and crash like I did last year.

Right now, I crash @ 11:30am after sleeping in 'till 8:00 [Eek!]

Any other energy saver/builder ideas are welcome... [confused]

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeHerx001: How many times did you take the Provigil? I got a wicked headache for the 1st few days, but since my doctor already warned me to expect that side effect for the first few days, I rode it out and the headaches went away.

Wantabe: Since I don't have a sleep disorder, I didn't research which ones are approved uses for Provigil. I suggest you spend a few minutes researching Provigil and the approved uses to you can be prepared to help your doctor through the insurance approval process

Here are a few good sites on Provigil:

http://www.provigil.com/pat/default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

http://www.provigilweb.org/

If you do a google search Provigil (if you haven't already), there is a lot more info.

If you work and don't drink caffeine (kudos to you for that self-restraint!), then Provigil may turn out to be the best solution to get you through the workday.

Good luck!
Erica

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The provil did nothing for me. I know some folks swear by it. It is certainly worth a try IMO.

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Provigil did not affect me, either.
Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

well.......
LLMD says no to any "fake energy".
Wants my body to put on it's breaks when needed and not to stress it.

back to bed,
wantabe

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wantabe:
well.......

back to bed,
wantabe

My comment is that after fighting Lyme for years, I have certain residual symptoms that will probably never go away. One is Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and another fatigue. I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and use a c-pap, but have seen little change in these symptoms with the c-pap.

So perhaps it isn't a good idea for those fighting an acute case, for those who need to be resting to recover. But for those who have been in the trenches with Lyme for 10 years like me it is a quality of life issue. I can do more if I continue to use it and I am able to adjust my dose day to day without consequences. If I wake up going into an obviously good day, then I don't take it. If I drag myself out of bed, I do. And it helps alot on those days.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that it made me easily distracted, so I'd take it when I needed to work and I made sure I was 'pointed in the right direction' first so as to not wander off course.

Also, I think everyone develops resistance (for lack of a better word) to it's effects so I didn't take it every day, just when I needed to work and was feeling extra-tired. I take very long breaks between times that I use it, so it hasn't really given me this "problem".

I found it cheaper from foreign pharmacies (though I didn't buy it that way because I was too disorganized at the time). The place I looked for that information was pharmacychecker.com, and I know a healthcare professional who's actually ordered expensive drugs through some of the 'member' pharmacies there, so I'm sure the site itself is legit. You'll still need a prescription but it's much cheaper in some places outside the USA.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

quote:
Originally posted by wantabe:
well.......

back to bed,
wantabe

Your LLMD will allow you to work, but not to take Provigil to help you get through the workday?

Working has got to be harder on your body than any extra energy Provigil may give you. If you are really that sick, maybe you should take an FMLA leave?

If you can't take a leave from work, ask your primary MD for Provigil. If you have to work with Lyme AND a sleep disorder, you should be allowed to give Provigil a try.

wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

LLMD doesn't want me to go back to work...

I have told her no work, no medical insurance $$$...
(no house payment, no...)

I'm going back with the HOPE of being able to continue. I'm filling out FMLA papers in case I have to stop working.

I'm trying not to stress about this and let things happen as they will. Been busy praying [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement