LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can surgery or upcoming loved ones deaths trigger your lyme symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can surgery or upcoming loved ones deaths trigger your lyme symptoms?
sans0002
Member # 16409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sans0002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey everyone,

im just trying to find a reason for why at certain times my symptoms all of a sudden flared and started becoming more persistent and worse

has anyone ever heard of or had their lyme symptoms get worse after / or even triggered their initial lyme symptoms after a period of large amount of stress like surgery, death in family, etc...

thanks

[ 10. August 2008, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: sans0002 ]

--------------------

Igenex IgM Positive: 18 +, 31 +++, 39 IND, 41 +, 45 +, 58 +, 66 +, 83-93 ++
Igenex IgG Positive: 31 +, 41 +

First LLMD appt Oct 3rd to start treatment!
Currently on 500mg Cefuroxime twice a day

Posts: 52 | From Windsor, ON | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sans:

Yes periods of intense stress can certainly cause a worsening of symptoms. It messes with your adrenal gland function and immune system.

Your body becomes overwhelmed and the self-healing mechanisms just can't keep up and lyme seems to get a firmer grip.

I've experienced this personally and I think many others here have as well.

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it was me.My moms death and her beeing sick for a year before death made my lyme activated ..than another reinfection and went to the death sentence...

CHANGED completly in 2 years!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I don't understand the headline, exactly.

to start killing ? Do you mean someone close to you who had lyme died after surgery ?

surgery can trigger lyme flare (especially as steroids are commonly used with surgery . . . so are abx that can put the lyme into cyst form).

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely! Lyme is triggered by many things, one of the main ones is stress. Others, surgery, cortisone, fumes (paint, chemcials, etc.) anything that can lower immunity or create stress is a trigger.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sans,

i agree with keebler .... your subject line is very CONFUSING.

could you edit it please by clicking on PENCIL, 3rd box to right of your name....

change it to something like this??

can surgery or upcoming loved ones deaths trigger your lyme symptoms?

when done, click edit send; you will get more readers/replies by having a CLEAR subject line.

YES, every surgery i've had has made me worse and life-threatening events and deaths of loved ones compound your symptoms!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hokie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme symptoms became slightly worse after cancer surgery in October of 2005. At this time I didn't know I had Lyme. In December 2005, I had radiation therapy to finish treating the cancer. By February 2006 my Lyme symptoms were spiraling out of control... this was when I began my search to figure out "what was wrong with me."

It's possible I'd still be a subthreshhold level of Lyme disease if I hadn't had surgery/radiation.

Posts: 129 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sans0002
Member # 16409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sans0002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming

sorry for the confusion with the title of the topic i changed it

ya my main symptoms of weight loss, fatigue and facial skin hypersensitivity have gone crazy and im currently awaiting my IGenex test results - can't stand that the symptoms are getting worse and its getting to a bad point where im starting for the first time to get pretty upset about them (i'm 22 and wanting to be a physician but now getting hopeless about finding whats wrong with me so I'm not finding this 'search' interesting anymore)

--------------------

Posts: 52 | From Windsor, ON | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as ya'll know i lost my mom on may 1st of this year. she had lyme and suffered terribly the 5 months of her life.

watching and hearing about her suffering caused me to go into a spiral that i have yet to come out of.

"God never gives you more than you can handle"...he must love me a lot then....

frankly, every little thing now sets off symptoms....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sans,

did you have surgery recently? If so, were steroids administered ? If so, that is vital to note.

(short paragraphs, please).

In "The Lyme Disease Solution" Kenneth Singleton, MD (an ILADS' MD) explains the cortisol/stress/endocrine connection and offers some methods of support.

It's far to complex to put here. I hope you can get the book. I wish I'd had it years ago but it only just came out a couple months ago.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe yes. Just as many people recognize stress contributing to the onset of Cancer.

The death of my father and two months after - my husband's mom set off the Lyme in my daughter.

We didn't know it was Lyme at the time, but we knew it was stress of losing her grandpa and grandma that set off something. Even our PCP agreed.

For me, I believe it was the physical trauma of a difficult and serious surgery.

-Or I guess I must also say I had an odd bite on my leg at the time also.

Seems less likely I got re-infected by a tick while walking the trail above the cliffs of Crystal Cove. An ocean park in Orange County.

Never saw a tick, redness, but technically a rash? I will never know for sure.

What I did get was a "knot", hard - like scar tissue at the bite site, so whatever it was - it sucked me dry! BUGGER!

TC
Peedie

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sans0002
Member # 16409

hey keebler,

yes ill admit i did a very stupid thing when i had elective surgery after having some symptoms....

in january 2006 are when my symptoms started, just mildly (mind you i dont even no if i do have lyme or not yet)

at that time i just noticed weight loss and suddenly allergic to everything

mind you all and i did wanna ask this .. i had just finished a normal course of accutane and still to this day i think that had something to do with all my symptoms whether it could cause stuff itself or trigger lyme to emerge

anyways things kept getting worse and more and more symptoms appeared

i was in such a bad place emotionally b/c of all the symptoms but had been planning a rhinoplasty for years since high school from a sports in jury and was so excited for it thinking it would lift my spirits

had that done may 2007 and booom!!!! everything went nuts after that exacerbating all my symptoms and bringing up tons of new ones

i was healing sooo slow and even to this day the skin on my nose is insanely sensitive/allergic to everything but so is everywhere else on my body and face and got tons of new food sensitivities too

so i did a stupid move by doing it then but my family doc said nothing was/is wrong with me so to go ahead with the surgery!!!

but ya just seeing if systemic/emotional/physical stress for whatever reason could make things start, or make worse/progress

sorry guess i strayed abit from your other question ... no i didn't ever have cortisol or other steroids

only things i'd had on or since that january was the course of accutane i was finishing, antibiotics after surgery, whatever drugs are in anesthetic, and a few pills of Diflucan (anti-fungal) since my doc maybe thought it was all a fungus
-matt

--------------------

Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got bit late Dec, early, early Jan at the latest.

I was going through a very stressful time. Being tested over and over for ovarian cancer AND lymphoma (both okay) and then my groin hurt like a son of a gun. I could barely walk. Then March came alone and my neck started hurting...unbelievably hurting, along with my ribs, ears, throat.

AND my mom was starting a dangerous treatment for her Hep C...all at the same time.

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had knee surgery in 1997, before I knew I had Lyme, and it really set me back for months. I had a lot of fatigue, as well as pain.

I had to take time off from work before I could have enough energy to return. Even then it took me months to fully recover from the effects of the surgery on my Lyme.

There were other stressors that have increased my symptoms, again all before I knew I was really ill, just thought it was how everyone felt under similar circumstances.

These included separation and divorce, preparing house for sale and moving (twice), being primary caregiver for my mom when she fell and needed to continue to change venues due to insurance rules, etc.

Since my Lyme dx I have moved again, after my mom's death, but I am now more cognisant of potential problems, so I prepare myself for them and allow myself plenty of down time when needed.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement