LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » **Update at 3 Months**

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: **Update at 3 Months**
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you that don't know, I have been at a lyme disease clinic that uses the strongest and most detailed treatments that I know of in the U.S.

My treatment over the last 3 months has been:

IV Vanco 1g 2x's a day, everyday of the week for 1.5 months

IV Doxy 1g 2x's a day, everyday of the week for 1.5 months

IM Bicillin 1x's a week at 2.4

I have also been on 4cc's of heparin a day, lots of supplements, IV antioxidants, Bio-feedback, diet, and light excercise.

The results:

1. All hormones are now normal.
2. My muscles were wasteing, now they are rebuilding.
3. All of my vitamin levels are now normal.
4. Inflammation levels have fallen
5. My first CD-57 test was a false high due to strep infection, now the strep infection is gone and my CD-57 is a 158.
6. My Fry Labs has improved by 70%, bartonella is about to see its final days. Here is the picture:
 -

As you can see, the Bio-film is 85% gone. The bartonella is also outside the cells now so the immune system and ABx can get them. My cells are also looking alot more healthy than before. My first Fry Labs, I did not have one single healthy cell in the smear.

Symptom Improvements:

Low Body temp is gone
Circulation is back to normal
Joint pain is decreased
I fall asleep at night more easily
My color is better
Muscles are building back up

Headache's, nausea, muscle pain, eye symptoms, ear fullness, and several other symptoms have not improved yet, but I have been in a chronic herx ever since starting treatment...

I use to be a believer in taking a slow approach with the ABx's by taking smaller amounts and backing off when I start herxing, but obviously as you can see my progress in my blood work over the last 3 months, that going after this disease with harsh treatment and not backing down is the way to do it. "No pain, no gain" I have had alot of pain but alot of gain in 3 months.

I still have a long ways to go because my lyme levels are still high but my LLMD was going after the Bartonella mostly, first.

I will be starting IV Primaxin, tinidazole, and Ketex next week, and I have to get ready for some serious herxing.

Good things are happening here at the clinic, since my last post, several more people who have been sick all their lives are going home as new people and moving on with their lives. Keep the faith.

I will post another update in 3 months...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful news, Byron!! Thanks so much for the update. It's so encouraging to read that you are making good progress.
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hokie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! Hope you continue to see that rate of progress; it's amazing.
Posts: 129 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Byron!

finally Hope!

feelfit [Wink]

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so happy to hear you are getting better. Do you stay at this clinic?

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BYRON....I am so proud of you!!!!!Great job! I am excited for you!Yeah.
Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Keep up the good work and congrats on improving your health!

That is very interesting about strep causing a high CD-57. What was the number on your false CD-57 and did your LLMD tell you strep can cause a false test?

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Angelica:
Keep up the good work and congrats on improving your health!

That is very interesting about strep causing a high CD-57. What was the number on your false CD-57 and did your LLMD tell you strep can cause a false test?

Yes, if you have strep your CD-57 will be messed up. The problem is... alot of LLMD's don't even test to see if you have strep and if you do, they don't know that it can cause your CD-57 to be false high.

Alot of people with lyme that think they have a good CD-57 actaully don't...

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by pab:
I'm so happy to hear you are getting better. Do you stay at this clinic?

I live in an apartment aout 10 min. away but I am at the clinic atleast 6-7 hours a day.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great!!

What fixed your hormone levels? The abx?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
That's great!!

What fixed your hormone levels? The abx?

Probly the bartonella population being down and the Biofeedback is what did it.
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, that is great news, and I am happy to hear that you've made such good progress. Please keep us posted and wishing you better & better health.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Byron, this is wonderful news.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does strep have any sort of "relationship" with Lyme? Because I believe I have "chronic strep." I will show just a few small symptoms, nothing out of the ordinary for me, but my IgM will come back positive.

I told an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor it would be positive, he said it won't (but tested me to try to prove he was right) then it came back positive and he called me, flabergasted.

Basically, is there anything you all do to treat it? Do I need to get rid of it, almost like its a coinfection? I have been on plenty of abx.

Thanks!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Hoosiers...

Strep is like mono, you can get sick with it then get better but the infection will always be in your body. Your immune system just keeps it down.

Well, when you get infected with lyme, alot of infections your body previously had will gain strength and come back. So I have been on weekly high dose Bicillin shots for it to knock it back down.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay....I'm on Amoxy with a bunch of other things, so hopefully that is working.

I just remember hearing of some German doctor who believed strep had to be "addressed" in Lyme patients. So many things to think about!

I may be switching from Amoxy to Bicillin at some point. Anyways, good luck with your treatment, Byron.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy to hear that you finally found something that would work for you. Thanks for posting.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

What is the best treatment and test for strep?

I had many strep throats as a child and my CD-57 score was high. It was ordered by Mr. CD-57 himself. He neglected to tell me strep or coinfections might have made my score high. He told me I had a great immune system in regards to LD. I wish he was right.

KaitlinB
Member # 11718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaitlinB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Byron,

I am so happy that your treatment is working for you. Thanks for the update and please keep us posted.

--------------------
Kaitlin

Posts: 67 | From CO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Angelica:
What is the best treatment and test for strep?

I had many strep throats as a child and my CD-57 score was high. It was ordered by Mr. CD-57 himself. He neglected to tell me strep or coinfections might have made my score high. He told me I had a great immune system in regards to LD. I wish he was right.

Bicillin helps the strep but it has to be done over a long period of time until your immune system is on top of things... I still have about 14 weeks to go on bicillin injections and have been on them for 10 weeks already. There is also some supplements that help, like Transfer Factor.

I think the blood test was through LabCorp or Hemex, I can't remember which one... I will have to find out

Alv
Unregistered

HI BYRON!

I am so happy for you !

Please tell us is your insurance covering all teh exspenses or do you have to pay from out of pockets ?

How about other people that are not living around there as you just happened to be the lucky ones?

How do they solve that problem..

YOu make my heart happy!

MY CONCERN is my son.I want him to have his life back ....BART is his MAJOR problem !

If you need to PM me than please do ..So I can keep my hopes high for him.

Alv
Unregistered

Also another question.

I can not recall if you have HEMOBART/MUCO spp on FRY lab or JUST bartonella as findings.

Can you please let me know?

The question is more about if you have " THE MYSTERY BUG" and vancomycin is working !

Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful news

I am on a similar protocol to you but was trained to do all my I.V.treatment at home (presently on IV Rocephin and IV rifampin).

I also think that IV for patients like us is the way to go of course with Heparin and IV glutathione/antioxidents

Afer 3 months on treatment and 7 years in total I have gone from housebound to being out every day - I have even been on short holidays and can now see and interact with friends.

So yep we are both on the right road now

Keep up the good work

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you tell me about this clinic and give me a patient report before? I have two clinics in Tenn. What has been your overall experience, the treatments, the staff, cost, insurance, etc? PM? [Smile]

-- Mike

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iam with you I never backed off on a herx either.
I have been poff abxs etc since beginning of march.
Feel pretty good one thing I can tell you that has helped me is B12 injections every fourth day.
And the minocin I was on at higher doses the last 6 months after the babs treatment. One other thing was treating long enough that every cell in my body had been replaced its either 14 or 16 months the body replaces ebvery cell.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have to ask this..

the blood smear looks better, but, cant that just be the sample of blood they took happened to not have a high population of the bugs in it? isnt that always a risk w/ the smears or any lab work? it can still be all over just not in the sample drawn?

most of the symptoms u list improved could be from heparin.

the majority of the real lyme symptoms though still persist?

i am glad you are feeling improvements in some areas and hope u are cured when you go home.

please continue to update us.

btw byron, can u give us a ballpark cost on what u have spent so far and plan on spending by the time youre done?

also, is ins covering all the IVs? how are you paying for everything?

thanks

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Alv:
Also another question.

I can not recall if you have HEMOBART/MUCO spp on FRY lab or JUST bartonella as findings.

Can you please let me know?

The question is more about if you have " THE MYSTERY BUG" and vancomycin is working !

Fry labs found my smears to be consistent with hemo-bart, but my LLMD treats all the bart's very similar, except for the ones that come from outside the country.
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
HI BYRON!

I am so happy for you !

Please tell us is your insurance covering all teh exspenses or do you have to pay from out of pockets ?

How about other people that are not living around there as you just happened to be the lucky ones?

How do they solve that problem..

YOu make my heart happy!

MY CONCERN is my son.I want him to have his life back ....BART is his MAJOR problem !

If you need to PM me than please do ..So I can keep my hopes high for him.

There are cheap apartments located literally walking distance from the clinic that alot of patients stay at but mine is about 10 min. away from it.

For insurace, my provider is Cigna. They covered my first 28 days of treatment and then stopped paying, but they have been covering some of the testing that is approved by the FDA and they are covering the bicillin shots.

So far I've payed around $20,000 so far but the staff here is great and they are willingto work with you in any way to help get you well, some of the poorest people come to this clinic and they can manage because they can offer you different ways to pay. I am paying $2,000 a week, if you pay weekly they discount for you instead of waiting to pay all at the end. Dr. R works atleast 12 hrs. a day at 6-7 days a week, she is not in it for the money, she's doing all of this to make a difference. She was originally a pediatrician and she loves kids.

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by METALLlC BLUE:
Did you tell me about this clinic and give me a patient report before? I have two clinics in Tenn. What has been your overall experience, the treatments, the staff, cost, insurance, etc? PM? [Smile]

-- Mike

The experience is good (besides the aweful herxing) The nurses are great, the financial staff is very flexible and helpful. It is also nice to be around 25 other lyme patients that have this same disease, it's fun to watch people get out of their wheelchairs, to see people getting their lives back and going home feeling much better, all the patients are also very supportive.
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are improving.

Does your clinic use Tygacil at all.

My Dr. is willing to use it but i have not heard enough feedback on this type of Abx.

Posts: 137 | From wethersfield ct | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

I'm not sure ctlyme...
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Byron, thank you for being so open with us.

We are watching your progress and hope there is no relapse afterward.

You've given hope to my daughter, and given her stronger motive to continue to push through the herx.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it's the IV Doxy that is working on your bartonella/BLO, rather than the Vanco? Has she/you considered that? The reason I say that is b/c Vanco does not affect gram-negative bacteria, and bartonella spp. are gram-negative. Doxy, on the other hand, particularly IV Doxy, has good blood/brain barrier penetration so could be doing the trick.

I would be interested if you could ask your dr why she is using Vanco. I think all our LLMDs would like to hear about this if it works. Thanks!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing your expereince.

congrats on the progress... i know you have waited a long time for it. [woohoo]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by CD57:
I wonder if it's the IV Doxy that is working on your bartonella/BLO, rather than the Vanco? Has she/you considered that? The reason I say that is b/c Vanco does not affect gram-negative bacteria, and bartonella spp. are gram-negative. Doxy, on the other hand, particularly IV Doxy, has good blood/brain barrier penetration so could be doing the trick.

I would be interested if you could ask your dr why she is using Vanco. I think all our LLMDs would like to hear about this if it works. Thanks!

Yes, she uses IV Doxy to treat bartonella as well but, Vanco packs a heavy punch on bartonella even though bartonella is gram negative.

It's just like alot of other ABx, like who would have ever thought Flagyl would kill the cyst form, or plaquinil.... Who would have ever thought antibiotics can be successful on parasites and some parasite meds are successful on lyme. You just do what has shown to work....

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it, Byron!!!!

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Thanks SO much BYRON!

You are right!The DOXY is antiinflamatory and the VANCO with combination with azithr has been mentioned from DR.J S that has worked...

ALONE DOXY does not!Flagyl works on cyst ( works on both bugs and parasites also -TRUE) as well as I have mentioned in some posts.

I have also have noticed that it makes a HUGE diference on the bart SPP ..from my eksperience.
BYRON you are giving me hopes that at least after my son has still chances.

YES it is really GREAT to see people that get up from wheelchairs and move on in life.

I just hope that they can really move on with no relapse end getting back to the clinic in the year or so .

painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Byron,

Thanks for sharing your process and progress.

I also see Dr. R and have nothing but positive things to say about that.

But I was not able to swing the whole diving into treatment thing and I was infected for 30 years before diagnosis so our approach is a little different and outcome seems to be less favorable for people like me!!

However, I have all the faith in Dr R to know what to do for each individual case and I also like the comprehensive approach. Dr R is a very smart one who thinks out of the box.

I commend you on your willingness to dive in and go all the way. I hope you see one hundred percent health regained and that you continue to share your journey with lymenet.

painted T.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Thanks SO much BYRON!

I just hope that they can really move on with no relapse end getting back to the clinic in the year or so .

From what she told me, she is able to keep anyone from relapsing... the only one's that relapsed were the ones that demanded they end treatment eary because they felt alot better.
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alv--vanco with ZITH works on bart? Or would that by LYME?

I don't think Byron is taking Zith with his vanco, are you Byron?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by CD57:
Alv--vanco with ZITH works on bart? Or would that by LYME?

I don't think Byron is taking Zith with his vanco, are you Byron?

Did not take any other ABx while on vanco except IM Bicillin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement