LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 4 months of mepron/zith with little progress on babesia headaches...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4 months of mepron/zith with little progress on babesia headaches...
tickbattler
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

My husband has been on abx since last Sept and has recently been targeting his babesiosis with mepron/zith for the past 4 months.

His primary symptom (which we think is from babesia) is a constant headache.

I'm wondering when we should consider other treatment protocols, as I have heard that some babesia is resistant to Mepron. My husband also has recently added Zhang's artimesia and HH capsules. (He has bart and Lyme too.)

Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps we should retest to check his titers or is that a waste of time?

How long did it take your babs headache to go away?

Thanks,

tickbattler

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think that any of his headaches could be a Babs herx?

I started on plaquenil & Zhang's artemesia for a couple of months, then changed to artemesinin and dc'd the plaquenil. Also started Enula for babs. Mepron was added about 2 months ago, and I'm doing much better now. I'm also on azithromycin, doxy and tindamax.

I take breaks from the artemesinin every 3 weeks and notice that when I add the art back, I start herxing, and start to experience the brain (headache/droopy eyes) symptoms more.

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe its not a babesia HA, bart can cause severe head pain worse than babs. just a thought.

cheers

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my headaches were bart. They were around my eyes and sinuses.

Maybe you husband can switch to Malarone if he feels the Mepron is not working on his babs. Malarone long term and low dose seemed to help me more then Mepron. Is he eating 22 grams of fat with his Mepron doses?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coconut oil is a great way to supplement the mepron w fat.

i do agree tho, if it doesnt resolve on malarial drugs like mepron or malerone, it may be bartonella or an organism similar to it.

my headaches are actually pressure, encephalitis..

nice huh ? [Smile]

good luck

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tickbattler,

It's true that some babesia is resistent to mepron treatment. I myself stopped treating the babesia because I felt it was killing me worse than the actual disease!

So the other day I was entirely bedridden with what could have been a babesia flare (severe headache, chills, sweats, muscle twitches, vomiting all day).

Of course I don't know if it is babs and I can't really know. Could be co morbidity or all the TBI's in conjunction. I really just don't know.

I don't have any answers for you! To each his own with treatment, really, especially since we all tolerate the medicine differently and have different genetic make up, etc.

Right now I'm just trying to live best I can and am not taking antibiotics or antimalarials (after trying for a couple years). I am, however, still on some meds....just not antibiotics since my opinion at this time (which is always subject to change) is that the borrelia and company is too stealthy for antibiotics... in the overall big picture scheme of things.

Not medical advice! Just sharing my personal experience with it all. I did do the 4 months (or so) of mepron, etc. twice before I realized it's just not the cure (for me). This doesn't mean I won't eventually try it again but I highly doubt it.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son first treated 6 months with mepron/zith & still had the daily headache. He then did bart meds for 9 months and the headache went away.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickRI
Member # 16803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickRI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are bart meds?
Posts: 43 | From RI | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that knocked my headache down was IV Rocephin.
(I am babs WA1-positive, so think maybe my particular headache's lyme-related)

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement