LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV too cold question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV too cold question
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know....I'm turning in to the number one baby on Lymenet and I apologize so much. I swear to God this isn't the normal me.

My husband forgot to take out my space ball type iv out of the refrig and tried warming it under his arm for 15 minutes.

Started infusing and it felt cold in my chest but nothing too odd.

Then my chest started spasming and actually painful. Which then brought on an anxiety attack in me since I paniced. Probably because I'd never had this sensation before.

I went calling him after several of these spasming chest pains and he told me to put the ball under my arm but it feels more like an ice pack.

I'm infusing it right now and in panic probably over nothing, but when you feel soooooo soooo horrid, I know I'm not thinking straight.

What SHOULD I be doing at this point? Disconnecting and trying later in the day or suck it up and stop being a baby?

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has settled down, but I'm going to keep the post out here to know what I should do in the future if we run into this again.

Will ask the visiting nurse but she only comes weekly and won't until Tuesday's and this surely wasn't an emergency worth calling anyone.

I'm just some anxiety ridden lyme patient panicing and jumpy about everything in life. Hopefully this is just a herx with this kind of anxeity going on because it just isn't "me". [Frown]

Cathy

--------------------

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting.We all learn from each other!
Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

yes, sorry to hear of this.

I recall many IV treatments for vitamins and minerals that, even at room temp, would cramp my arm.

the heating pad really helped.

I hope your next treatments are easier.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had med via a infusion ball, I was told to regulate how quickly the medicine went in by the temperature of the ball...the warmer the ball, the quicker the med goes in (all within a range, of course!)

At one point, I had to slow down the infusion, so they had me infuse at a colder temp. I certainly did feel the cold in my chest (I have a groshong CVC), but didn't have any harm from it.

For your own peace of mind, you may want to call your infusion pharmacy. I'm sure they would be happy to help you & give you more specifics [Wink]

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hanginginthere:
For your own peace of mind, you may want to call your infusion pharmacy. I'm sure they would be happy to help you & give you more specifics [Wink] [/QB]

That's a good idea! I hope you're feeling better now, Cathy!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GraceT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GraceT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cathy, Even at my LLMD clinic, when the Silver push is not up

to room temperature, my arm hurts like the dickens.

Often I request a hot-pack during IV's for Vit C / Myers cocktail or for Peroxide.

HOT PACK - Microwaved bean-bag with small towel over it...placed on painful site.

Glad you are not still hurting from that last IV.

Posts: 212 | From Arizona | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Thanks all. Great encouragement and advice here. In hindsight, I know I over reacted, but I came here paniced when I couldn't reach my husband.

And being in such a FOG through it all didn't help. I mean...I could have just hit the clamp and stopped until I figured it out, but even THAT didn't enter my mind. BRAIN FOG!!!!!!!!

I'm really not concerned about it NOW, but will definitely make sure they aren't that cool in the future. [Smile]

Cathy

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement