LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Calling all TAPEWORM experts? ---- : #VvVvVvVvV*-*-*-*-*-*----

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all TAPEWORM experts? ---- : #VvVvVvVvV*-*-*-*-*-*----
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am honestly asking for a friend (fellow lymie) and sure I will admit I too could easily be harboring a tapeworm myself but never have had any signs of one. So far I have not sprung for the testing so the jury is still out on what I may have but my friend has tested positive for a tapeworm recently.

Have you ever tested posted for a TW and if so how did you treat it? I am not talking about what you treated it to for dinner but medical or herbal treatment.

-: >>>ll>l>l>l>Vl>w*w*w*w*w*w*w*w>l>l>>l>l>vVvVVv/v*

[ 25. August 2008, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Angelica ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I had parasite tests done 2 times
both of them negitive -

I took Aliaia (Spelling) for one week-
parasite med-

Totally fixed my stomic -Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for a tapeworm one year ago, but so far, dr has not addressed it. I recall her saying they are difficult to eradicate because they break off into sections and still survive.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The absolute best parasite remedy which also treats tapeworm I have found is Humaworm. And if you suspect tapeworm you can email [email protected] and he'll make you a customized batch to really knock the suckers out.

But .. their facility burned to the ground end of July so I'm not sure how quickly they are going to be producing orders.

I would probably not bother with testing as I understand it is pretty unreliable, but that is just what I would do.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Could that fire have been started by hostile worms?
tad
Member # 14433

Icon 12 posted      Profile for tad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not possible, don't think a hostile worm could flick a bic [Smile]
Posts: 41 | From Singapore | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

Ya never know ... according to Dr. K, he's seen ones with eyelashes ... who knows how far they have evolved?!?!?!? Could Bic flicking be really that far off?

LOLOL

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had small tapeworms from fleas that my pets aquired. When I was testing MMS it killed them. These are the ones that look like rice.
There are other ways to get rid of them also, but I do not know off hand what products to use.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also been thinking about this, my mother tod me when I was a kid I had a tapeworm. Who knows if 50 yrs ago it would have been treated properly. I have troulble keeping on weight (am losing like crazy on this diet), could that be a sign?

My LLMD talked of testing me for parasites in the future, so will talk to him about my next appoint.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

My cats for sure had the rice flea tapeworm signs. The cats got old and died but their worms might still be kicking around or at least their offspring.

I would not put anything past a hostile worm. I wonder if they can carry Lyme disease or coinfections?

Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hook worm

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Eye lashes...are you freaking serious???

As far as tapeworms...
I have READ that people in the old days would starve themselves for a few days, and then get a piece of food, tie thread around it and then Swallow the food, leaving the other end of the thread hanging out of their mouths.
In an essence...they were actually "fishing" for tapeworm.
They would slowly draw out the thread, and the tapeworm would be latched onto the food at the other end.

Well..thats what I have read.
Dawn

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't test positive for parasites, but did test positive for bad bacteria in the gut so took Humaworm. I passed a very large tapeworm!

I also passed many roundworms while on Enula.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Fishing for a tapeworm sounds like a rather intense project at least in the olden days. Can you imagine running errands with a string hanging out of your mouth. I guess you could tie the excess around your ear. Suppose the tapeworm surfaces in public....

I do plan to take a parasite cleanse after I clear my lymph a bit more.

The eyelash worm - could it have been wearing false ones?

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm, they don't come out whole ......

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Another old time remedy for tapeworms I've read is to take a bath with a bunch of sugar in it. Supposedly the tapeworms ar drawn to the sugar water as a source of food and they ... uh ... exit the body to get to it. [Razz]

I've not passed tapeworm taking Humaworm but have passed tons of roundworm and liver flukes.

Oh, and in the past few months I've lost 18 pounds taking the Humaworm in-between herbs!!! Talk about an added bonus! [woohoo]

--------------------
 -

Angelica
Unregistered

I am hoping we can get a volunteer to try the sugar bath.

I cannot volunteer due to yeastie skin and squeamishness but there has to got be a brave soul out there who wants to experiment for the sake of science and then report back.

Also please chart how many worms have eyelashes and which worms don't. It should be an interesting experiment.

It sounds much less intense then the fishing string down the throat connected to the bait trick. I wonder if they bite on anchovies or prefer tootsie rolls?

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

LOL! I don't see how a tapeworm in the small intestine would even know you were sitting in a sugar bath!!!!

Oregano Oil was something that made me see a few pieces of the tapeworm, but the Humaworm was what got the whole thing out.

--------------------

jamescase20
Unregistered

I read that ALINIA kill every worm around.

I would try that...I am taking it now.

discdogger
Member # 16798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for discdogger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know what kind of tape worm your friend had?

I am a microbiology major and have took several parasitology classes.

--------------------
We are their voice, Please spay and neuter!
Make adoption your first option!

Posts: 61 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Iranians eat raw pumpkin seeds for tapeworms. That's what an Iranian told me. He had to use this remedy himself. Commonly sold are nut mixtures as treats or snacks, which do have some raw pumpkin seeds thrown in.

---pamois.

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

discdogger if my friend wants to send you a pm and identify their self I will leave it up to them.

I am not sure if they know what kind of TW they tested positive for but maybe they do know and they will share that with you.

tickbattler
Unregistered

OK, I opened this thread because I was curious. I can't believe how many have had various worms! I didn't realize they were that common in the U.S.

I am not squeamish about most things, but the thought of having a tapeworm is frightful to me. Pulling a long one out of your stomach with a string is pretty horrifying! I don't think I have one, but do eat a lot of sushi, so who knows!

Can someone educate me a bit about them? My main questions are:

1. What symptoms do they cause? My mom is severely lactose intolerant and also has some gastritis. Can they cause either of these things? Do they cause gas and bloating?
2. What color are they? How big are they? Do they look like maggots (yuk!!!)? How do you know when they are gone?
3. How do you get them besides from pets?
4. What is humaworm? Is it pretty harmless and easy to tolerate?

Thanks so much!

tickbattler

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Tickbattler -- Lots of answers here at http://www.humaworm.com. There is also a great Humaworm forum over at curezone.com where RG answers questions.

I've tried Clarkia, Paragone, pumpkin seeds, two kinds of prescription meds (Albenza and Biltricide). Nothing....NOTHING holds a candle to what Humaworm has done for me. 18 pounds gone and I'm finally able to walk my dogs almost every day.

Although, it did take some patience with me. It took three rounds spaced 90 days apart, but the real improvement happened for me when I started taking the in-between herbs this time after round 3.

BTW Humaworm is also designed to target microscopic parasites and I believe this since I have really strong Bart herxes when I take it.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

one way: from raw or undercooked fish

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I am considering a cr�me br�l�e bath. If no worms appear I will at least get a nice warm bath and my sweet tooth will be happy.
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

And ... for those on the strict Lyme diet ... you can always take a bath with Stevia. [Big Grin]

Here are some links from the Humaworm site:

How We Get Parasites:
http://www.humaworm.com/invasion.html

The Symptoms
http://www.humaworm.com/symptoms.html

Types of Parasites:
http://www.humaworm.com/parasitetypes.html

--------------------
 -

lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Angelica,
I know a few lymies who have used Humaworm and love it. You can google it and check it out.

Take care.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Any fish bites if you've got good bait according to Taj Mahal but some how I don't think you could catch a tapeworm with Stevia.

I actually have a parasite formula I already bought from Raintree that I am waiting to use after I muscle test for it and clear my lymph some more.

I would like to try Humaworm at some point.

Alv
Unregistered

Alison:

What do you mean ' in-between herbs this time after round 3 "

Are you taking maintanance herbs in the 90 days break ?

heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey alison,

i'd also like to know what the 'in-between' herbs are. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Hey Alv and Heiwa,

Yes, that exactly right. The herbs are maintenance for the 90 days wait in between cleanses. They're to keep the population in check so to speak, but they also have their antiparasitic properties as well. They also have liver and lymph support built in which is nice.

And I think what sets these herbs apart for me is their quality. He only uses top notch potent stuff and again the batches are hand made. Whatever the reason, they sure work for me!

From the site:

These herbs can be taken for the 90 day wait between the HUMAWORM parasite cleanses. This formula contains garlic, onion, sage, thyme, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, gentian, milk thistle, peppermint and barberry.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

My tapeworm was most likely a beef tapeworm judging by how it looked (shiver, shiver) and by the fact that I like my steak on the rare side.

On Under Our Skin, the segment with Dr. K and the woman who was with the band U2, Dr. K says that her gut is inflammed, that the Lyme lowers the immune system and lets things settle in the gut that would normally be fought off.

I had weight loss, stomach upset, food intolerances, HUGE appetite, stomach pain (severe).

Humaworm also made me herx.

Tickbattler, mine was about 7 ft. long and came out in pieces (I did not fish it out, LOL, so this is an estimate).

--------------------

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a bit of an old post

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=039716

One thing I remember --- the eggs of a tapeworm look like the seeds (dark) of an apple. Now, am not sure what they looked like from Six's white live-in!

Also, drink milk if you are on the parasite treatment. Milks brings them out of their hiding places - they love it - and gotscha!

And also know that they are very alive and kicking and love driving people nutty before-during-and shortly full moon. So don't take the Lymies seriously if they act up a little (I must remember that.......) Actually, they are mating during full moon ----

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Well, GiGi, that may actually be true about the eggs. What I saw was the tapeworm itself. It was whitish when it first started coming out (in 4-6 in. pieces), but it looked brownish and more digested (sorry for TMI) as the later pieces were expelled.

I would be nauseous for hours after seeing pieces, LOL, not because it made me sick, but because it grossed me out so badly!

Take loads of chlorella or another binder .... I felt horrible when I was "de-worming." Chlorella helped.

--------------------

Angelica
Unregistered

A Poem For My Parasites

I once had a disease that was more than a sneeze

It went to my knees my head my spleen and the unseen and everywhere in between

I knew I had finally lost it when I went fishing for tapeworms with a string attached to an onion ring

tickbattler
Unregistered

wow -sixgoofykids that is quite a story. How long did it take for the worm to come out? Days? Weeks?

How big in diameter was it? Do you know the specific technical name of the type of worm? I read a little on the humaworm site about the different kinds.

No wonder you were hungry with that 7 foot long monster living in you. EEEEK!

So, how do you get your steak cooked now?!

Do you think I'm safe eating sushi? One of my twin 4 year old boys loves salmon sushi. Do you think I'm crazy to let him eat it? Of course, he won't eat cooked fish, so it's the only way I can get him to eat any fish at all!

tickbattler

tickbattler
Unregistered

Ok, sorry...one more question. Sixgoofy - what did you take to get rid of your tapeworm?

For those of you who took humaworm, did you just do it on your own or under the care of a doctor? Is it a completely harmless treatment?

I am currently on the Zhang protocol for lyme, so I wonder if the allicin (garlic) is killing something!

Thanks,

tickbattler

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Tickbattler --

I took it on my own without a doctor. Harmless .... hmmmm, well, it definitely caused me to herx. Also it's not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeing women.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Well, since tapeworms are flat, I'd say it was about 1/4 inch wide? It's been almost a year since I've seen it ... but no bigger than 1/4 in. wide.

I saw about four feet of it broken in pieces ... an estimate .... I did not fish it out, LOL. Then I saw the rest over a period of a couple weeks.

I started seeing it a few days into Humaworm, which I did on my own. I told my LLMD about it after the fact.

I saw roundworms when I used Enula and they came out over a period of a few months. Every time I was shocked to see another one. They were pretty digested (sorry, you asked for a description, LOL), so I couldn't tell the diameter .... but think, fishing bait.

Getting rid of the worms was a HUGE turning point for me. If I had to put in order how much stress each infection put on my body I'd say 1) Babesia, 2) Parasites, 3) Lyme, 4) Bart.

--------------------

keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have heard alot about Humaworm and actually emailed them once. I had a concern about the Paud'arco. I had an ER allergic reaction to something and the only thing I could think of different was drinking pau d'arco tea so it scared me.

With my past as a child and also always being hungry and having trouble keeping weight on, I wish I had some right now to start.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorthernLyme1
Member # 8992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tickbattler, garlic has been used as an anthelmintic agent since ancient times so it is possible that the Zhang allicin is having some effect.

In my experience with pets infested with roundworms and tapeworms, a short course of crushed garlic embebbed in velvetta cheese produced interesting results.

In one dog a huge mass of roundworms (probably Toxocara canis) was passed that thoroughly impressed the vet who placed this specimen in a jar of formaldehyde as reference. A second dog passed tapeworm segments (rice grain morphology) that were identified by the vet. Drugs were needed however to polish off the infestations.

See below for a good article on several anthelmintic agents with quoted references at the end.

Good luck.

Phytotherapy Review & Commentary" "Spring Cleaning"
by Kerry Bone

http://www.townsendletter.com/April_2003/phytotherapy403.htm

P.O. Box 713 * Warwick QLD 4370, Australia
+61 7 4661 0700 * Fax +61 7 46610788 * www.mediherb.com
FNIMH = Fellow, National Institute of Medical Herbalists (UK)
FNHAA = Fellow, National Herbalists Association of Australia

Spring Cleaning? What About Intestinal Parasites?

Spring is traditionally a time for cleaning. This was well-recognized by European herbalists who used a number of herbs as "spring tonics" or "spring cleansers." Many of these spring tonics provided much needed vitamins after a lengthy period of consuming stored foods.

But they also included the depurative herbs (herbs which clean the blood by unknown mechanisms) and herbs for promoting digestion, including the bitter herbs wormwood and gentian.

Wormwood, as the name implies, was also traditionally used to treat gastrointestinal worm infestation. So it could be that this aspect was also part of the use of spring tonics.

Whether this is the case or not, it is true to say that the plant world has long provided options to assist in the control of intestinal parasites.

A few of the more popular herbs are viewed below, together with a significant and highly active anthelmintic herb from Traditional Chinese Medicine.

But the main thrust of this review is to suggest that synergistic activity via a combination of these key herbs (with other herbal treatments as well to support digestion and immunity etc.) will yield the best results.

Wormwood

Artemisia absinthium is well known to herbalists with particular application to treating nematode infestation, especially infestation with Enterobius or Ascaris.1,2

Wormwood has been used as an anthelmintic since ancient times and is currently utilized in many countries throughout the world for this purpose. Wormwood tincture is employed in the West Indies as a worm preventative.3 Wormwood has also been used for the de-worming of horses, cows and sheep.4,5

Key Constituents

Constituents of the aerial parts of wormwood include bitter substances (sesquiterpene lactones, mainly absinthin) and an essential oil containing mainly terpenes.

The essential oil contains the potentially toxic monoterpene thujone and for this reason the recommended therapeutic doses of wormwood should not be exceeded.6

Anthelmintic Activity

In vitro wormwood aqueous extract demonstrated anthelmintic activity towards the nematode Trichostrongylus colubriformis.7 Thujone is also implicated in the anthelmintic activity of wormwood. Experiments carried out in Edinburgh in 1955 indicated the efficacy of thujone in eliminating Ascaris lumbricoides.8

Other Related Activity

Wormwood aqueous extract and alcohol extract strongly inhibited the in vitro growth of the parasitic protozoa Naegleria fowleri. The sesquiterpene lactone fraction isolated from the alcohol extract was also active.9

Wormwood powder (1.5 g/day) provided effective treatment for acute intestinal amebiasis in an uncontrolled trial of 20 patients. Symptoms were relieved and 70% of cases were cleared of the protozoa Entamoeba histolytica according to stool analysis.10

Wormwood is also used to treat other gastrointestinal conditions such as appetite loss, disturbed digestion, flatulence and disordered bile flow.11 Clinical trials have demonstrated the ability of wormwood to increase the flow of gastric enzymes, pancreatic enzymes and bile.12,13

Black Walnut Hulls

A globular fruit is produced from the black walnut tree which contains a corrugated nut in its yellowish-green hull (also called husk or fruit wall). Upon ripening the hull softens and turns dark brown to black due to chemical oxidation. A decoction of the hull of Juglans nigra fruit has been used traditionally to expel worms.2

Key Constituents

The unripe hulls of Juglans nigra contain 1,4-naphthoquinones including juglone and plumbagin.14 The juglone content in hulls varies with different cultivars and different months of growth.15

Anthelmintic Activity

In vitro studies indicate that plumbagin inhibited the motility of and hatching of Haemonchus contortus first stage larvae. Plumbagin was larvacidal towards Ascaris suum at the highest test concentration (100 mM). Partial inhibition of embryonic development of A. suum occurred with plumbagin.16

The authors suggested that because of the relatively high doses required for the maximal effect on inhibiting the development of larval stages, plumbagin may not find practical application. The combination with other anthelmintic herbs would however, boost the activity of plumbagin.

Stemona

Radix Stemona, the tuberous root of Stemona sessilifolia, Stemona tuberosa or Stemona japonica, is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) mainly for the treatment of acute and chronic cough. Externally it is used for the treatment of fungal infections, lice infestation and as an enema for pinworm infestation.17-19

In addition to its primary use for the treatment of cough, in Vietnam Stemona japonica root is prescribed for Ascaris infestation and is used externally to treat scabies (mite infestation).20

Key Constituents

A series of complex alkaloids have been isolated from the root of these Stemona species.21

The unusual and complex alkaloids exist only in Stemona plants and in a few related species and include tuberostemonine and stemonine.22

Anthelmintic Activity

Tuberostemonine, an alkaloid isolated from Stemona sessilifolia, S. tuberosa and S. japonica root,21 paralyzed the motility of Angiostrongylus cantonensis in vitro and showed contractive effects on the motility of Dipylidium caninum and Fasciola hepatica.

The experimental anthelmintic activity of crude extract of Stemona may be due to the action of tuberostemonine23 and related alkaloids.

One hundred and forty cases of ancylostomiasis (hook worm infestation) were treated with the herb. After 3 months, follow-up examination of 110 cases revealed a negative rate of 94.5%.

Another group of 48 cases was effectively treated with the herb decoction; 116 worms, all from the duodenum, were expelled. However, the same method did not show any anthelmintic effects in later trials.24

Alcoholic extracts will probably work better than decoction.

The suppository prepared from the herb was used to treat 40 children with oxyuriasis (infestation with a type of nematode); 16 of them were cured. Twenty-seven out of 63 cases were cured by the herb powder.

Dosage: Suppository -- (12.5 g each). One suppository was inserted into the rectum at 8 pm, another at 10 pm every night for one week, then every other night for another week. Powder -- 1.5 g 3 times daily for 3 days.24

Clove Bud Essential Oil

The dried, unopened flower bud of Syzygium aromaticum has been used in Ayurveda and Western herbal medicine as a carminative and aromatic.2,25

It has recently been popularized as a worm treatment. Therapeutic indications for clove bud include nausea, flatulence, dyspepsia and to assist the action of other herbal remedies.2,25,26

In traditional Thai medicine the essential oil is used as a carminative and to treat stomach ache, in addition to the well-known topical application of toothache.27

In Indonesian traditional medicine clove oil is taken with beer to protect against abdominal pain! Clove bud is also used in this traditional system to alleviate flatulence.28

Key Constituents

Key constituents of clove bud include an essential oil (15-20%, consisting mainly of eugenol, eugenol acetate, beta-caryophyllene), flavonoids, tannins and phenolic acids.29 Eugenol is a major constituent of clove bud essential oil (80-85%).30

Anthelmintic Activity

Clove powder demonstrated potent anthelmintic activity in vitro towards Pheretima spp. (earthworms). At this time earthworms were used as a model to investigate anthelmintic activity.

Suspension of clove powder was more than 5 times more potent than a water extract of cloves and clove powder was 4.5 times more potent than powdered fresh garlic. Suspension of clove powder was 7.3 times more active than the anthelmintic drug piperazine, whereas the water extract of clove was of similar potency.31

Piperazine is an anthelmintic drug which has been used to treat pinworm and roundworm infections in humans for decades.

Both the water and methanol extracts of clove bud were strongly active in a nematocidal assay.32 The assay used the second-stage larva of the roundworm Toxocara canis, which at the time of the study was highly resistant to anthelmintic drugs.

The relative movability (RM) value compares the extent of movement of the test population which has been exposed to the anthelmintic agent with the movability of the control sample.

Strong activity was defined as a RM value of 0 (at which all larvae are dead). A value of 100 indicates no activity (no disabling effect on the larvae), and increasingly lower RM values approaching 0 indicate stronger activity of the extracts against the larvae.

A value of 0 was obtained for clove methanolic extract at both concentrations (1 mg/mL, 10 mg/mL) and both time frames (6 h, 24 h) and for water extract (10 mg/mL) at 24 hours.

Piperazine produced a RM value of 32 for 1 mg/mL after 24 hours of incubation in the same assay and other anthelmintic drugs such as phenothiazine produced a RM value of 0 under the same conditions.

Eugenol produced a RM value of 0 at 1 mg/mL at 24 h, and a value of 50 at the lower concentration of 0.1 mg/mL after the same time period. The nematocidal activity of eugenol has been confirmed in another study using the same assay.33

Clove oil killed Anisakis spp. larva in vitro.34 Eugenol also demonstrated potent anthelmintic activity towards Caenorhabditis elegans in vitro35 and Rhabditis macrocerca and Ascaris suum in vitro and in vivo in mice (route unknown).36

Potential for Synergistic Anthelmintic Activity

The phenomenon known as bursting of worm larvae occurs when the outer covering of the larva is torn, resulting in protrusion of its intestine.

Nematocidal assays can discover active principles that cause the killing and/or bursting of worm larvae. A constituent that has no nematocidal activity may produce bursting when combined with a nematocidal agent.

Eugenol caused bursting of worm larvae in the Toxocara assay described above.32 The activity of eugenol on its own was relatively weak (11%) but it caused marked bursting of worms (90-91%) when combined with tannins (either condensed or hydrolyzable (tannic acid)).

Tannins are not larvicidal by themselves, but they cause bursting when combined with a larvacidal compound, as has been demonstrated in the same assay previously.37 In order to cause bursting, coexistence of both the anthelmintic compound and the bursting factor is necessary.

The bursting activity of tannins (when combined with the suitable larvacidal substance) increased with increasing degree of condensation for condensed tannins and with increasing proportion of phenolic groups for hydrolyzable tannins.

From similar nematocidal studies investigating other essential oil components it was concluded that eugenol in combination with tannins can, even at lower concentration than its MLC (minimum lethal concentration), cause the bursting of worms if a large amount of (another) nematocidal constituent is present. (MLC was defined as the lowest concentration producing a RM value of 0 after 24 hours incubation, determined for eugenol as 0.33 mg/mL.)32

Conclusions from this and other studies by the same research team indicate that:

* a balance between the hydrophilicity (water-soluble) and hydrophobicity (fat-soluble) of the constituents is important for the larvacidal activity;38

* the bursting activity may be caused not only by tannins but also by other nonvolatile32 and volatile constituents;33

* a different bursting feature was observed for the tannin-nematocide mixture compared to the bursting caused by essential oil alone33
suggesting a different mechanism of action;

* the synergistic action of tannins and an anthelmintic not only damages the worms irreversibly, but also, in some instances markedly reduced the required amount of the anthelmintic.37

This research suggests the value of combining various herbal agents for a synergistic anthelmintic activity. It also implies that combination of anthelmintic herbs with tannin-containing herbs such as green tea and particularly herbs containing condensed tannins such as grape seed extract will enhance their activity.

Recent Anthelmintic Research

In vitro tests conducted at a government laboratory in Brisbane in 2002 using a number of herbal extracts and essential oils have indicated that clove bud and Stemona have definite positive anthelmintic activity towards a sheep intestinal nematode prevalent in this locality.39

The testing included egg hatch assay, larval development assay and infective larvae assay. At the tested dosage clove bud gave a convincing kill of the larvae population, rather than just immobilization.

A field trial testing a number of herbs and essential oils for the treatment of worm infestation in sheep is pending.

Suggested Combinations for Increased Activity

The following treatments would combine well and provide synergistic anthelmintic activity with the wormwood, black walnut hulls, Stemona and clove bud essential oil mentioned above:

* tannin-containing herbs, especially preparations containing green tea (Camellia sinensis) and grape seed (Vitis vinifera) extract. These herbs should be taken concomitantly with the anthelmintic herbs.

* holy basil (Ocimum sanctum) essential oil, since the leaf has been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine as an anthelmintic and the essential oil has demonstrated potent anthelmintic activity in vitro towards Caenorhabditis elegans.35

In the worm bursting assay outlined above32 methyleugenol demonstrated nematocidal activity but was devoid of worm bursting activity. The presence of even a small amount of eugenol (5-10%) in the methyleugenol-tannin mixture caused the bursting of the worms, particularly when the tannin as of the condensed type.32

Both eugenol and methyleugenol occur in holy basil essential oil; the amount of each varies depending upon the chemotype.40

* immune enhancing herbs such as Echinacea, and also preparations containing Andrographis paniculata and holy basil essential oil: to enhance the body's natural immune function and assist in the immune response to worm infestation.

Eosinophilia (increased number of eosinophils in the blood) and elevated serum IgE (gamma-E globulin) levels are features of many helminthic infections.)

* garlic (Allium sativum) has been used as an anthelmintic in western herbal medicine,1 for example, as a decoction or freshly mashed and administered to children on an empty stomach.41

Garlic extract was effective against Rhabditis spp. and the eggs of Ascaris suum in vitro.42 In the Toxocara assay described above methanol extract of garlic (10 mg/mL) produced a RM value of 0 after 24 hours of incubation.32

* laxative herbs: to promote elimination of the worm infestation (or worm debris) via the bowel including preparations containing cascara (Rhamnus purshiana) and yellow dock (Rumex crispus).

* bitter herbs: to promote the gastric acid barrier to resist reinfestation. I recommend gentian (Gentiana lutea) liquid extract.

* digestive enzyme preparations, such as the latex of Ficus spp. which contains ficin has been used traditionally in neotropical areas such as the Amazon as an anthelmintic.43

However, concomitant intake of digestive enzymes with tannins may result in the inactivation of the enzymes.

References

1. British Herbal Medicine Association's Scientific Committee. British Herbal Pharmacopoeia. BHMA, Bournemouth, 1983.
2. Felter HW, Lloyd JU. King's American Dispensatory. 18th Ed, 3rd revision, Volume 1. First published 1905, reprinted Eclectic Medical Publications, Portland, 1983.
3. Quinlan MB, Quinlan RJ, Nolan JM. J Ethnophamracol 2002; 80(1): 75-83
4. Waller PJ, Bernes G, Thamsborg SM et la Acta Vet Scan 2001; 42: 31-44
5. Uncini Manganelli RE, Camangi F, tomei PE. J Ethnopharmacol 2001; 78(2-3): 171?191
6. Bisset NG (ed). Herbal Drugs and Phytopharmaceuticals. Medpharm Scientific Publishers, Stuttgart, 1994, pp 45-48.
7. Bara S, Zaragoza C, Valderrabano J. SEMh Congreso 1999: Sociedad Espanola de Malherbolog�a, Longrono, Spain, November 23-25, 1999, pp 233-240.
8. Albert-Puleo M. Econ Bot 1978; 32: 65-74
9. Mendiola J, Bosa M, Perez N et al. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1991; 85(1): 78-79
10. Tahir M, Siddiqui MM, Khan AB. Hamdard Med 1997; 40(3): 24-27
11. Blumenthal M et al (eds). The Complete German Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. American Botanical Council, Austin, 1998, pp 232-233.
12. Glatzel H, Hackenberg K. Planta Med 1967; 3: 223-232
13. Baumann IC, Glatzel H, Muth HW. Z Allgemeinmed 1975; 51(17): 784-791
14. Binder RG, Benson ME, Flath RA. Phytochem 1989; 28(10): 2799-2801
15. Lee KC, Campbell RW. HortSci 1969; 4(4): 297-298
16. Fetterer RH, Fleming MW. Comp Biochem Physiol C 1991; 100(3): 539-342
17. Pharmacopoeia Commission of the People's Republic of China. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China,'English Ed, Volume I. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, 1997, p 173.
18. Chang HM, But PP. Pharmacology and Applications of Chinese Materia Medica. Volume I. World Scientific, Singapore, 1987, pp 484-488.
19. Bensky D, Gamble A. Chinese Herbal Medicine Materia Medica. Eastland Press, Seattle, 1986, pp 297-298.
20. World Health Organization. Medicinal Plants in Viet Nam. WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific, Manilla, 1990, pp 354-355.
21. Tang W, Eisenbrand G. Chinese Drugs of Plant Origin. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1992, pp 957-961.
22. Qin GW, Xu RS. Med Res Rev 1998; 18(6): 375-382
23. Terada M, Sano M, Ishii AI et al. Nippon Yakurigaku Zasshi 1982; 79(2): 93-103
24. Chang HM, But PP. Pharmacology and Applications of Chinese Materia Medica.. Volume 1. World Scientific, Singapore, 1987, pp 484-488.
25. Chopra RN, Chopra IC, Handa KL et al. Chopra's Indigenous Drugs of India, 2nd Ed, 1958, reprinted Academic Publishers, Calcutta, 1982, pp 172-173.
26. Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. British Pharmaceutical Codex 1934. The Pharmaceutical Press, London, 1941, pp 288-289.
27. Farnsworth NR, Bunyapraphatsara N (eds). Thai Medicinal Plants. Medicinal Plant Information Center, Bangkok, 1992, pp 233-236.
28. Dharma AP. Indonesian Medicinal Plants. Balai Pustaka, Jakarta, 1987, pp 52-54.
29. Bisset NG (ed). Herbal Drugs and Phytopharmaceuticals: A Handbook for Practice on a Scientific Basis. Medpharm Scientific Publishers, Stuttgart, 1994, pp 130-131.
30. Battaglia S. The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy. Virginia, Queensland, The Perfect Potion, 1995, pp 235-236.
31. Krishnakumari MK, Majumder SK. J Sci Indust Res 1960; 19C: 202-204
32. Kiuchi F, Nakamura N, Miya****a N et al. Shoyakugaku Zasshi 1989; 43(4): 279-287
33. Nakamura N, Kiuchi F, Tsuda Y et al. Shoyakugaku Zasshi 1990; 44(3): 183-195
34. Oishi K, Mori K, Nishiura Y. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 1974; 40(12): 1241-1250
35. Asha MK, Prashanth D, Murali B et al. Fitoterapia 2001; 72(6): 669-670
36. Valette G, Cavier R, Debelmas J. Ann Pharm Franc 1953; 11: 649-653
37. Kiuchi F, Tsuda Y, Kondo K et al. Chem Pharm Bull 1988; 36(5): 1796-1802
38. Kiuchi F, Miya****a N, Tsuda Y et al. Chem Pharm Bull 1987; 35(7): 2880-2886
39. Information on file. MediHerb Research Laboratory, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia.
40. Lawrence BM. Essential Oils 1988-1991. Carol Stream: Allured Publishing Corporation, 1993, pp 200-201
41. Guarrera PM. J Ethnopharmacol 1999; 68(1-3): 183?192
42. Chybowski J. Herbal Pol 1997; 43(4): 383-387
43. Hansson A, Veliz G, Naquira C et al. J Ethnopharmacol 1986; 17(2):105-138

Posts: 59 | From Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Humaworm will leave out any ingredient you are allergic to. They hand make each batch.

--------------------

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Here's an updatye in Humaworm and the fire posted by RG on the Curezone forum today:

We have a temporary HUMAWORM headquarters set up and we will be shipping out as many orders as possible within the next couple of weeks. I will be back with more details on the fire and to answer questions. I just don't have the time right now.

Thank you all for your support and patience. Hang in there folks!

RG

--------------------
 -

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you de-worm while on abx?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question CD57.

I am on Mepron right now.....I wonder if this is a bad time to do it? Would it be too much stress to get rid of gut parasites now? Or would it help my babesia treatment along?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

You can use Humaworm while on abx and other medications.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

PumaOfTheWest
Unregistered

I actually joined this website to investigate worms.The salt c protocol sounds hopeful for tapeworm control.
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump

: )

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's LLMD recommended that my daughter stop all ABX just during the 6 week parasite protocol she will be starting next week.
Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement