LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cataracts related to Lyme/Babs/Bart?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cataracts related to Lyme/Babs/Bart?
tabbytamer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3159

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found out yesterday I have rapidly progressing catracts in both eyes, not the type older people get according to my eye doc. I'm 49 y/o. Only had one steroid shot in my lifetime, never on them routinely.

Comments? Articles? I did a search but couldn't find anything specifically tying TBD to early cataracts.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry Tabby.

Bart has been known to cause cataracts in cats.

A review of bacterial pathogens in Ctenocephalides felis in New Zealand.

Author(s) Kelly PJ

Institution Institute of Veterinary Animal and Biomedical Sciences, Massey University, Private Bag 11222, Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Source N Z Vet J 2004 Dec; 52(6):352-7.

Abstract

The cat flea, Ctenocephalides felis, is the recognised vector of Bartonella henselae, B. clarridgeiae and Rickettsia felis. Although these Gram-negative bacteria were only described in the last decade, they are already known to cause a variety of diseases in people, particularly children and the immunosuppressed. Such diseases include cat-scratch disease, bacillary angiomatosis, endocarditis, bacteraemia, encephalopathy, neuroretinitis, osteomyelitis and peliosis hepatis.

Although most infections in cats and dogs appear to be subclinical, recent studies have provided growing evidence that the bartonellas can also cause serious problems in pets, including hepatitis, endocarditis, central nervous system (CNS) signs, lymphadenopathy, uveitis, cataracts and reproductive failure.

In 2004, DNA of B. henselae, B. clarridgeiae and R. felis was demonstrated in cat fleas from New Zealand and pets and their owners in the country are thus at risk of infection. While flea control programmes have traditionally been advocated by veterinarians to prevent pruritis and tapeworms in pets, they should now also be recommended to prevent infections with the new flea-borne bacterial pathogens.

To raise awareness of the organisms amongst veterinarians and animal health workers, this review describes: the biology of the organisms; clinical and laboratory features of infections in cats, dogs and people; diagnosis; and possible treatments and control of infections with these organisms.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tabby,

I read on Lymeinfo.net that one of the symptoms of Lyme disease can be cataracts. I believe congenital cataracts were mentioned.

I'm trying to find that link for you.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tabby:

I have some eye problems, not cataracts but some color blindness, some degree of MG (myastenia gravis, sp? and sporadic doble vision. I am also on my 40"s, no family history of the mentioned problems and no answer from the medical community to what is causing these problems.

Glad to hear from you now and then,
Lymster in WA

Posts: 303 | From WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Melanie, hshbmom, and Lymster for the info.

Just wondering if switching meds might help, but probably best not to put off the procedure.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement