LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Epstein Barr, LymeDisease, or Histamine intolerance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Epstein Barr, LymeDisease, or Histamine intolerance?
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I was just curious if Lyme and Epstein Barr could be confused. I have extreme alcohol intolerance. How do you know if this is caused by lyme or Epstien Barr or lack of the enzyme that breaks down histamine produced by drinking alcohol?

I dont know if this helps but the bands that were positive on my western blot were IGG 41 + and 58+. And on the IGm 23 +. Do any of these indicate Epstein Barr?

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LisaS,

My results are:

IGG 23-25+/-,30++,31+/-,39+/-,41+,45+/-,58+/-,66+/-

IGM 18+,23-25+,28+,34+/-,39+/-,41+,66+/-

I had another test, Epstein-Barr virus AB panel which showed IGG AB 6.49 High and EBV nuclear antigen AB IGG 5.00 High.

My IGG and IGM results are different than yours but I definitely have EBV.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6155 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa-

Some believe that EBV can be confused with lyme. Another poster called Timaca knows a lot about viral issues.

I believe that band 41 may cross react with some viruses.

When I spoke to Igenex about my initial western blot, the doctor there told me that generally speaking only an acute mono episode would trigger a cross reaction and potential false blot.

Personally, I believe that EBV only activates and causes issues in the presence of other immune supressors. EBV in and of itself is staggeringly common--95%+ of the population is exposed to EBV and to HHV-6 for that matter.

EBV could be a piece of a greater puzzle but just a piece (I feel anyway).

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LisaS~

EBV and Lyme can be confused in that the symptoms are basically the same. You cannot tell the difference between a chronic viral infection (like EBV) and a chronic lyme infection by the symptoms.

So, you have to rely on lab tests to some extent to see what you are ill with.

You posted your WB test results for lyme. Do you know your EBV test results?

I do not know if either condition causes alcohol intolerance.

Best,
Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not sure if my Drs ever did an Epstien Barr, but Im sure they did over the 15 years it took them to diagnose me with lyme! I need to get all my old records, the ones I had I gave to my LLMD. But I cant afford to go to him now.

Alcohol intolerance is a symptom of Epstein and Lyme. It can also be caused by not having enough of a certain enzyme that breaks down alcohol in your intestines. I really wish I knew. I cant stand not being 100% sure what I have. But I googled alcohol intolence because thats a sypmtom that doesnt seem to relate to every disease like a lot of the lyme symptoms.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease Symptoms List
1. Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
2. Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
3. Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
4. Unexplained hair loss
5. Swollen glands: list areas____
6. Sore throat
7. Testicular pain/pelvic pain
8. Unexplained menstrual irregularity
9. Unexplained milk production: breast pain
10.Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
11.Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
12.Upset stomach
13.Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
14.Chest pain or rib soreness
15.Shortness of breath, cough
16.Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
17.Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
18.Joint pain or swelling: list joints_____________
19.Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
20.Muscle pain or cramps
21.Twitching of the face or other muscles
22.Headache
23.Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
24.Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
25.Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
26.Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
27.Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
28.lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
29.Lightheadedness, wooziness
30.Tremor
31.Confusion, difficulty in thinking
32.Diffculty with concentration, reading
33.Forgetfuiness, poor short term memory
34.Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
35.Difficulty with speech or writing
36.Mood swings, irritability, depression
37.Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
38.Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Does any of this sound familiar?? Have you read Dr C's Western Blot explanation?

from DR C's WB:

23-25: Outer surface protein C (osp C).

41: Flagella or tail. This is how Borrelia burgdorferi moves around, by moving the flagella. Many bacteria have flagella. This is the most common borreliosis antibody.

58: Heat shock protein.

In my clinical experience, if a patient has symptoms suspicious for borreliosis, and has one or more of the following bands, there is a very high probability the patient has borreliosis.

These bands are 18, 22, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 37, 39, 41, 83, and 93.

This is true regardless of whether it is IgG or IgM..

----------------------------------

Here is his update written sometime around 2005.

"The significant antibodies, in my opinion, are the 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 39, 58, 66 and 93."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo has it right here. However, to make it a very simple explanation...

Almost everyone has EBV. Something like 85% of the adult population. Did you ever have Mono in the past? That's epstine-barr. However, in most healthy people, after the initial infection, the virus reverts to a dormant state and doesn't give the host problems for the rest of their life. However, when someone's system is busy dealing with a pathogen like Lyme (or co-infections) its easy for herpetic virus types to "wake up", and add their problems to the mix.

Epstine Barr (EBV), CMV, HHV-6 and the like can cause a lot of the same symptoms as many bacterial tick-borne pathogens. It is often necessary to take care of other pathogens, and then attack herpetic virus types in order to beat them back into submission, as it were.

Thus, many people with Lyme have an active viral infection, but they are two distinct agents, not simply one being mistaken as another, more often than not.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. I really feel that common viral co's are back-seat drivers and not the main antagonist...

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blackstone~
I couldn't have said it better myself! Good explanation.

And to add to the viral testing, make sure you get tested for mycoplasma pneumonia and chlamydia pneumonia. They can cause the same symptoms as lyme and viral infections.

And yes, you can have more than one pathogen causing you problems.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lisa,

I don't understand why your postive bands on your Western Blot results could indicate EBV.

I think you may mean that EBV and other viruses can give false positives on the Western Blots? As far as I know, the only bands susceptible to false postives from viruses are the 30 & 31 bands (which is why Igenex has the "30-31 kDA confirmation" test).

Since you did not have any postives on the 30 or 31 bands, I don't think any EBV or other viruses could affect your western blot results. However, you should probably confirm with your LLMD and/or by calling Igenex.

Since as Blackstone and Timaca discussed, reactived EBV and other viruses tend to be fairly common with Lyme, I also strongly suggested you get tested for EBV, HHV-6, CMV, and HSV.

I underwent Valcyte (antiviral) treatment under Dr. Montoya at Stanford, and my LLMD is currently treating my viral issues.

Here is Dr. Montoya's site about these viral issue and what tests to get. Dr. Montoya has found Focus Diagnostics to be the best lab for these viral tests.

http://www.vicd.info/testing.html

Feel free to ask me any more questions or PM me for more info.

Good luck!

Erica

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Actually, Erica, it does appear that viral infections (acute)can cause false positive IgM Western Blot tests for lyme. Not just affect certain bands like band 30 or 31. I don't think these articles talk about chronic viral infections...I don't think that has been studied yet...

See:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/631rx51r28577w46/

http://www.springerlink.com/content/7qane55dg89qrh4b/

http://www.canlyme.com/false_positive_lyme.html

The last article is actually pretty easy reading, and states that if one does not progress in producing antibodies to Bb (meaning making IgG antibodies) then one should look for another diagnosis....

Best, Timaca

celtic
Member # 15850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celtic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timica-

I found your post really interesting. Thanks too for posting the links. I didn't know that acute viral infections can cause a false positive.

I know my EBV titers were high as were my HHV-6 (though a bit lower than EBV).

How does one tell whether or not lyme or viral is what's going on?

Actually I'm going to PM you.

Thanks for the information.

Posts: 65 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gace24
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gace24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lisa,

I don't know what nationality you are (I don't need to know!) but a good number of people of Asian descent have a genetic polymorphism that that prevents them from properly breaking down one of the metabolites of alcohol, acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde dehydrogenase is the enzyme that breaks down acetaldehyde from alcohol, but some people of Asian descent have I guess kind a mutation of the enzyme.

So they can have a small amount of alcohol and develop flushing, itching, swelling, drowsiness, fast pulse, lightheadedness, etc. So not so much an intolerance but inability to naturally break it down.

Grace

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

I think that care should be taken not to make elevated common viral titers the panacea of chronic illness...95% of the pop is exposed to most of these...

Timaca, can you repost your studies suggesting viral cause of lyme false positives?

Also I'm just wondering how Valcyte users have done? Anyone make significant progress or experience significant sides?

Thanks.

--------------------

timaca
Member # 6911

I'm running out the door, so this will be a quick post...

Lymeorsomething~ I posted a few links in my previous post about viral infections causing false positive lyme WB (IgM). Check those out. If you do a simple google search on "EBV false positive IgM lyme western blot" you'll come up with some links yourself. Again these are primarily acute viral infections causing the false positive IgM WBs. However, studies haven't been done on chronic viral infections.

In a small study of 1 (me)...I had very high antibody titers to several viruses, and I had a screaming positive IgM western blot for lyme (lots of bands) with only ONE band (41) positive on the IgG. This makes me think that it is likely that the viruses were causing the IgM to be positive (false positive). For if it were a true lyme infection I should be converting to IgG...my last two IgGs had only band 41...

Now, in the past I did have lots of IgG to lyme...but with all the antibiotics I've had, perhaps I've killed off the lyme and am now dealing with viruses and Cpn (my theory).

And yes, 95% of the population is exposed to these viruses. So, they can reactivate in those of us who are ill....and have a suppressed immune system from lyme, stress, whatever....

SO, if you have a very high antibody titer to the viruses, then you have to consider reactivation.

With regard to valcyte users....I know 2 who have gotten totally well. I myself improved greatly, but did not get totally well. We have noticed high antibody titers to Cpn so I am on doxy for that, and also acyclovir because my viral antibody titers went back up while being off valcyte...

Celtic~ You can't tell by symptoms whether you are dealing with lyme or viruses....the symptoms are the same. Thus your best clue is your history, your symptoms AND lab tests. Get tested for the following, then whatever looks obvious, treat.

Best, Timaca

If you have been ill with various multi-systemic symptoms and the doctors have run many tests on you and cannot figure out what is wrong, then consider getting these tests done.

Focus Diagnostics Lab:
http://www.focusdx.com/focus/1-reference_laboratory/index.asp

40540 HHV-6
2420 EBV Panel
40543 HHV-7
41380 Parvovirus
41025 VZV
2385 CMV
40525 HSV 1/2 ELISA
2075 Enterovirus Panel
40735 Mycoplasma Pnumonia
23000 Chlamydia Serologies

40795 Q Fever
40205 Brucella
40881 Bartonella
40678 Lyme C6 peptide
2034 Lyme IgG and IgM western blot

Tick borne disease tests (Q-Fever through Lyme tests) can also be run at
Igenex: www.igenex.com and
SUNY Stonybrook: http://www.path.sunysb.edu/labs/ticklab/TICKLAB.htm

Getting tested at Focus Diagnostics Lab can be a bit of a problem, unless your doctor has signed up for an account with them. Here's some links as to how to get the testing done. These links are at the HHV-6 website, and you must sign in to view the posts.

http://hhv6foundation.proboards101.com/index.cgi?board=testing&action=display&thread=26

http://hhv6foundation.proboards101.com/index.cgi?board=testing&action=display&thread=134

For info on
Lyme disease: www.ILADS.org; www.lymediseaseassociation.org
HHV-6 and EBV: www.hhv-6foundation.org
Chlamydia Pneumonia: www.cpnhelp.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement