LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » tummy won't tolerate abx, please help!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tummy won't tolerate abx, please help!!
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping that someone can help give guidance on how to tolerate the abx.

I've tried going on rifampin twice, the first time I lasted two weeks, then got hit bad with diarhea. While I trying to get over that, my gall bladder attacked.

I had to go on a fat free diet for 6 weeks, couldn't tolerate even the smallest amounts of fat. (I lived on fruit and veggies and once a week shrimp. Nothing else)

Finally had the gall bladder out, can tolerate a small amount of fat now, and started up the rifampin again.

I lasted a whole week, at half the prescribed dose. Then the tummy went bad again.

I've been taking probiotics, and eat no sugar (not even fruit at this point), hardly any fat. I'm running out of food options!

I'm hungry, my stomach hurts, everything I eat goes straight through me, and although losing weight was cool at first, losing 35bs in 8 weeks can't be good for me.

Sorry to whine, but I am definately getting frustrated.

If anyone has any idea how to make this work, please help. I'm currently (trying) to treat bart h, bart q and myco, I test neg. for lyme.

Thanks everyone.
kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Rifampin is just not the drug for you?

Is it just Rifampin that does this so far, or all antibiotics?

That said, if would be nice if you could tolerate this one, because it is one of the few preferred ones for Bartonella. Have you looked into something called C. diff?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the Rifampin with food and see if that helps.

When I'm on abx I need MAJOR probiotics or I get diarrhea. I take Theralac, Ultra Flora AND VSL#3. The VSL#3 is the one that makes the big difference.

Bart can cause a lot of digestive symptoms, so it very well could be a herx from the Rifampin.

I found smoothies to be great food substitutes when my tummy was bad. I use Biochem whey protein, water, frozen fruit, and some avocado (if you can tolerate it).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but my LLMD had given me the green light to take Rifampin with food; but, I thought I had remembered reading that it needs to be taken on an empty stomach, and in fact my Pharmacist confirmed that. I realize that you are having trouble tolerating the medication, but you certainly don't want to be taking it if it's doing you no good either.

You might want to ask your LLMD about an alternative abx, since Rifampin needs to be taken 1 hour before, or 2 hours after food.

--------------------
Craig

Posts: 207 | From Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hoosier,

So far, the only other abx that I had a (brief) encounter with was flagyl, which the doc prescribed for one week along with some powder stuff to help get my tumy back on track.

The flagyl was fine, at least for that short period of time.

So yes, I am thinking that rifampin and I just aren't meant to be.

Six, I'd try it with food, but at this point I'm just plain scared to. This isn't just diarrhea, it's horrible stomach pains, and the first time around, it was like fire water coming out of me (sorry to be so graphic!!)

It's been a mighty rough summer for my tummy, I'm not sure that it can take much more.

My husband, who was not particularly careful with his diet, had no problem with rifampin.

My son, who has been on a number of abx, has periodically struggled (due to illicit sugar fixes), but has never gotten that bad.

Are us girls more prone to problems with abx?

Thanks for responding guys.

Take care,
kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Craig,

yes, you are supposed to take it without food. If I remember correctly, the llmd told me to take it 10 minutes away from food.

My husband took it an hour away from food.

kp

Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tummy problems were the main reason I could never tolerate any abx whatsoever, since very long, much before lyme.

Even a week for me is hell on earth. It's been like this since I remember taking my first abx in life. The pain is huge.

I had 4 teeth extracted at once (wisdom teeth), and the pain I felt in my mouth was nothing compared to tummy pain I got from abx (no matter how much food I took before abx ingestion).

After 3 days, I called the surgeon and said I was going to quit the abx. And I did. My tummy-Gi tract took longer to heal than my extracted teeth!

There are alternatives to abx. Do a search here. I mean, if you are willing to try something else. Or maybe it's just a reaction to one particular abx and not others?

Selma

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barbarame
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barbarame     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having similar problems with abxs. I took more probiotics and no change.

the LLMD is prescribing me something for indigestion and such problems

barb

Posts: 167 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to take the liquid form of the medicine, which helped me.

If the medicine doesn't have a liquid format, dissolve or suspend the medicine in a glass of water.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement