LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » sarsaparilla - interesting scary

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sarsaparilla - interesting scary
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

As part of my never ending quest for full health/full remission I recently (yesterday)started supplementing with sarsaparilla. I read some interesting Chinese studies re: treating syphilis with sarsaparilla and how 90% of patients with acute syphilis were "cured" and 50% of patients with tertiary syphilis also achieved remission. Considering how syphilis and Lyme disease are both spirochetal infections I decided to dig out some sarsaparilla tea (dry roots - so you need to decoct to get full value). I had about 20 ounces of strong tea last night and had very bizarre symptoms this morning in terms of visual distortion/disturbance.

For about 45 minutes I had strobing and strange twisting lines distorting my vision. I was in the middle of a staff meeting and it was all I could do to not have a little wig out. I figured right away it was the sarsaparilla and was strangely pleased that it appeared to be targeting spirochetes which can hide out in the eyes.

Normally I don't feel the results of a herb for at least 36 hours, but since I biked into work I figured that may have speeded up the process.

My background in a nutshell is this: undiagnosed for over 20 year. Clinically diagnosed in Canada - tested CDC positive for Lyme disease through IGENEX.

I am 80% better through a strictly alternative approach. I have not taken antibiotics. My most important treatments are: energy tested herbal formula (on it for just over two years), vitamin D3, magnesium citrate, grapefruit seed extract, low glycemic diet, juicing every day, no booze, coffee etc, digestive enzymes, coconut oil and exercise four to five times a week (normally biking to work). I have also taken numerous other supplement but I just listed my top treatments.

I just bought Lightworks - but I haven't been able to measure a difference yet - although I have only used it five or six times so far.

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you! Thank for sharing.

There seem to be many very good alternatives. Be careful with the infrared light. It can have a very strong effect & it may be cumulative.

I had a very intense herx from Nutramedix Quina a couple of days ago. I think there are many good alternatives to drugs.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sarsaparilla can be very strong. My guess is that you might have had a bit of stomach upset with that, too.

I have to keep the amount pretty low and in a formula with other ingredients - that really helps me.

Sarsaparilla will help remove endotoxins.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 oz is allot.

when i used it, i had a strong medicinal "tea", and was only taking 100ml 2x a day.

can't possibly compare strengths or type, but 20 oz sounds like too much for sure. on the doses i took, it had considerable effect. it was the "right" time for me to use it, as well, which also matters, as with anything.

best,
mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hubby and I just started taking Smilax (Sarsaparilla) as well and haven't noticed anything with it yet.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first time i took sarsaparilla (in capsule form) i had a huge herx from just one pill. it caught me off guard, as i wasn't expecting that sort of reaction.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gwenb:
For about 45 minutes I had strobing and strange twisting lines distorting my vision. I was in the middle of a staff meeting and it was all I could do to not have a little wig out. I figured right away it was the sarsaparilla and was strangely pleased that it appeared to be targeting spirochetes which can hide out in the eyes.

I'm no doctor but this sounds like a visual migraine aura. It's possible to have an aura without a headache - google 'silent migraine' or 'migraine aura without headache' for more information. Sarsaparilla is said to cross the blood brain barrier so that might be another explanation for this kind of herx.
Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ldfighter

It seems as if it was a visual migraine aura - I have never had one before so it was freaking me out a little, although it only lasted for 45 minutes or so.

I think the sarsaparilla is a keeper. I had about 6 ounces last night and I will have another 4 ounces tonight. This could be psychosomatic but I would say I am about 35% mentally sharper and have more energy - really measurable. I feel quite excited.

Gwen

[ 03. September 2008, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: gwenb ]

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gwen,

Glad you are improving healthwise. Curious as to whether you had coinfections or only Lyme?

Can you share some details on your tea formula. How many ounces of Sarsaparilla or 1/4 cup or whatever measure to how many ounces of water?

Hubby has taken the Sarsaparilla capsules in the past and is currently back on them at 2 (500 mg) capsules 3 times per day. Have never noticed any reaction positive or negative at this dose. Think he might have taken 3 or 4 capsules 3 times a day for at least a couple of months in the past.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Hi Bea

I used approximately 3 large tablespoons of sarsaparilla root, from a reputable herbalist, and approximately 2 cups of filtered water. I put in a pot brought to a boil and then simmered for 20 minutes. This amount has lasted me three days.

Gwen

gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

I also had a weak positive for bartonella. I peronally think I may have had babesia because I used to have brutal night sweats which stopped after I took a lot of artemsia - probably too much because I didn't know what I was doing at the time. My bartonella appears to have cleared up to a fair degree - I judge my progress by the soles of my feet which aren't sore anymore.

Gwen

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement