LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mattress Toxins ....... What is safe what is not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mattress Toxins ....... What is safe what is not?
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also looking for a better ( more supportive sleeping surface). I have found a manufacturer that does not use chemicals to spray the bed. Instead the use a layer of High Denier Polyester Fiber as a fire retardant. No fire retardent chemicals are used. This layer is a thin layer between the foam in the mattress and the quilted cover.

They use traditional foams and cotton fibers in the bed but NO MEMORY FOAM (which is very toxic).

So, I am wondering if this is a relatively "non-toxic" bed?

My questio is this: Do the foams outgas forever? or is just for a while when the mattress is new? Are the foams inherently toxic or is it just if they are sprayed wih the fire retardent chemicals?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foams outgas in two stages. The initial outgassing and then a secondary outgassing a year or two later, as the product somewhat breaks down.

I think that polyethylene cover mentioned in the other thread would protect you.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMGOSH!!! I was going to tell you about my sleep number bed, but Googled it and they have a class action lawsuit regarding their beds and mold!!!

My bed is full of BLACK MOLD!!!! I have had Lyme for 35 years and managed it until I purchased this bed!!!!

I obviously need answers, too, so if anyone has any bedding suggestions .... for now I guess I'm sleeping on my down filled sofa.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you google "Klinghardt mattress" you will get a collection of sites where he has talked about it.
Easier than my giving the details here.
Cotton and natural rubber, in a METAL FREE FRAME - is what stands out.

I still have holes that I had to patch shut where I removed pieces of the inners of our mattress only to discover that I was allergic to literally all of it.

Today, without any metals in my mouth and fairly metal free and certainly Lyme-free, I sleep like a rock for 8 hours on the very same mattress.

The trick is to avoid all incompatibles and clean up the body - and peace will return to the body.
It seemed like it took me a hundred years to do it, but it works.

Clean out the bedroom of junk - no books
which are usually moldy - etc. No electronics - no wires - make it a sanctuary --
Learn to test with a biotensor the best location of the bed in the room - if you can't afford other testing methods. You will be amazed what you can find.

And if you can't sleep, think heavy metal and parasites/worms!

Good luck and take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently purchased the Tempur-pedic mattress and then kicked myself for not having done more research beforehand. I did get a cover for it, was told to outgas it for at least 1 week. It fortunately has no metal in it and I also have the Sleep Sanctuary coming to protect from EMFs, but I am still a little distressed over what I read about these memory foam products after I had already made the purchase.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think too that EMFs might be messing my sleep up.

But I do have a wonderfull polyethylene cover that is non-toxic and blocks most of the off gassing.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeherx .. where ddid you get the cover? do you have a link?

Thanks gigi for the info . I will read further

O2babe . Yes, that may be the route for me now ... and further improvements later.

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They sell them at Walmart.

You might be thinking that they arent of enough quality, but It can really help reduce the offgassing.

I think they are called Allergy Relief and they are made with polyethylene.

Polyethelyne is the only one shown to block the gasses.

It cost $20 bucks for one to fit over a twin mattress.

Again you can always get thicker polyethylene but this one feels better and less plastic.

If your really concerned you can get two of them.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like our all rubber bed/mattress - no box springs needed. It might be what Gigi/Dr. K. mentioned.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sameetra
Member # 16639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sameetra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EEE- GADS !!!

I was sleeping okay until we got this new foam mattress from IKEA!

Will be watching this thread ...

Posts: 68 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement