LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme Passing through the Placenta

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme Passing through the Placenta
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know lyme can pass through the placenta, but it may not always happen.

Please know that when I say "lyme", I don't really know what I'm talking about. Lyme, co-infections, maybe any combination.

Any opinions on how likely it is that a dormant infection would be transferred to a fetus vs. how likely it would be that an active infection would be transferred to a fetus.

Thanks for your input. [Smile]
Carly

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A dormant infection would be just as threatening to a fetus as a consequence of inadequate immune system function in the fetus.

Co-infections are passed to the fetus.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toby67
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm a chronic case - i feel like i was born with it - and now my 10 yr old just tested positive-

doc says its 50/50 i gave it to him... i think i've been in and out of dormancy, but i felt great when i was pregnant with him.

i've always wondered if it's getting passed along during pregnancy with the rest of the gene pool.

I swear my whole family has been carrying it for generations!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, both of you.

Toby, my situation is similar to yours. I am coming to realize I have been carrying this infection much longer than I realized.

My 4 children have, thankfully, not shown any symptoms.

My concern is that a physical stress or illness will allow a dormant or latent infection in them to come to the surface.

I know it sounds paranoid, but that is how it happened for me, several times over the years.

I'm guessing from both metallic blue and toby's replies that you agree this may be possible.

Others' opinions? Thanks!

Carly

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 5 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else?
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible, however it's possible that any number of other things could happen too. It's a dangerous world, you can't protect them from everything, but it's important to be aware enough to be able to act if need be.

In my opinion, if a child isn't showing symptoms, develops normally, shows no unusual deficits and is active and a happy kid -- then there are far bigger concerns than Lyme, like how you're going to pay for their college education.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Thank you, metallic blue.

I guess it would be difficult to find out how to prevent congenital lyme in a 12 year old. [lol]

carly

tickbattler
Unregistered

Thanks for this post...I have been wondering the same thing. I have recently tested positive, but believe I have had lyme for a long time. I did have some symptoms 4 years ago after delivering my twin boys.

My twin 4 year old boys have it but I know they were infected by tick bites since they had so many. However, my 2 year old daughter only had 2 tick larvae bites that I know of. I am afraid that I may have infected her through the pregnancy or breastfeeding, even though I was in remission at the time. She doesn't show many symptoms but I am still getting her tested and watching her closely.

Best,

tickbattler

toby67
Unregistered

my doc said i shouldn't panic and run to test my other children if they are not showing symptoms.

my oldest is 13, and so far, so good. but doc says puberty would probably tell all, since all the hormonal changes can make it rise to the surface

i think that's what happened to me. that's when i first remember symptoms around age 10...

i've had ups and lots of downs my whole life - no ryhme or reason, but i think the lyme really exploded due to stress of divorce and death of parent in same year,

so yeah, they might be carrying it, but it could stay dormant!

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

quote:

my oldest is 13, and so far, so good. but doc says puberty would probably tell all, since all the hormonal changes can make it rise to the surface

Take that advice to heart. It's true. Watch for changes during traumatic events, like death, failed relationships, job loss, or other major life altering events.

Beyond that, you're already armed with the right information, and kids recover quickly. Pay closest attention to school work performance. It's a big indication.

--------------------

nurselily
Member # 17265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurselily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had undiagnosed lyme, babesia and bart for many years..i passed it on to my son inutero...he was diagnosed when he was six...

He was treated by dr. J in New Haven ct. he was on abx for over 3 years (oral)...had many cognitive symptoms, night sweats, air hunger, exhaustion , and anxiety. His neurospec MRI showed lesions on his brain.

He is now 15 and thriving..no more problelms.

but yes, I passed it to him in utero

Posts: 14 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sameetra
Member # 16639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sameetra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Nurselily !

I so needed to read your post...

My daughter (my 2nd child - born in 2003) has had dramatic symptoms from the day she was born -- I was very ill then too ("flare" of old infection or new infection - not sure?)

My son, (my 1st born -2001) fared much better and I was much healthier during the pregnancy and afterwards. He has only had minimal symptoms but still symptoms with the worst presenting since last year -- definitely noticeable differences.

Believe it may have more to do with our house - location.

But to hear that your son was treated and is well brings me much hope.

THANK YOU !

Posts: 68 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Lyme and co without knowing it when I got pregnant (was not sick). We tested my 3 year old recently and he has a positive WB and positive babesia test, but no symptoms.
I'm not too worried because 1) we know and 2) I've also been told that kids do well.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement