LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I Need Help!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Need Help!!
Lindsay
Member # 7910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often break out into hives around my period. They are usually just tiny bumps, don't iche and talking Valrex seems to make them disapear. Hives has always been an underlying symptoms that my LLMD thinks is from a mono/shingles virus that was never treated.

I broke out into hives last Tuesday. Just tiny dots on my legs. But I was 2 weeks from my period. On Wednesday they turned into larger flat welts, but Thursday I had full on hives covering my legs. I started taking benadryl but afte 9 I called my doctor to tell her what was up.

On Friday I noticed that my skin was really hot to the touch. My face was bright red and swelling. I went and saw her and she just couldn't believe it. No rhyme or reason. No new products/food of any kind. She put me on hydrocortizone and some enzymes and bumped up my Vit C to 20,000mgs. My hives were much better on Saturday but back again strong on Sunday.

I still have them today and they have spread to my hands and feet.

Posts: 19 | From Northern California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Member # 7910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
opps I acciently hit enter which posted this.

Ne ways aside from it going to my hands and feet, I also developed cold sores in my mouth which seems to pop up and disapear in different places. I now also have tiny blisters the size of a needle point on the palms of my hands.

I am just at a loss. Hives, cold sores inside my mouth, and now blisters on the palms of my hands. I feel like a walking time bomb.

Has anyone delt with this? Does anyone know what I should do?

I am taking 3,000mg of Valtrex, 5mg of hydrocortizone, sinequan, allerga, benadryl, diflucan, and omincef.

when I first got so sick before I was diagnoised with lyme I had hives and threw up everything ate for 8 months. I am so scared I am back to saquare one, four years later!

Please help me!
Lindsay

Posts: 19 | From Northern California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, so sorry you're going through this. One of the first things that crossed my mind when reading your story is possibly this could be allergy related.

There is no rhyme or reason to how or when allergies crop up. I used to be plagued by hives and throwing up when I was little, then poof, it all went away.

A couple of years ago it came back once when I ate some pineapple, sores in my mouth and on my lips and hives everywhere. I just chanced it again not long ago and nothing happened.

Probably it would be good to look at what you were doing and eating at the time this started. Who knows maybe the laundry soap or fabric softener had a change in ingredients.

Our immune systems are sensitive creatures and who knows what effect that may have on allergies.

I would probably also see an allergist just to run some of the basic tests and see what he/she may recommend.

Soaking in a bath (lukewarm) with baking soda may help and if you don't mind being Pink, Caladryl is great stuff too.

Hopefully this helps you, proudmom

--------------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"--Carl Sagan

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kylasrain
Member # 12031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kylasrain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a nightmare! My gut instinct is allergy-related as well. Or autoimmune?

I read an amazing article on allergies in the US last year in National Geographic Mag. It talked a lot about people with your symptoms...I'll see if I can find what issue is was.

Hang in there!

--------------------
http://kylahikeson.blogspot.com

Posts: 97 | From CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Member # 7910

Thanks for your thoughts. I was not having an allergic reaction. I have changed nothing in my life. And sad to say that things definately got worse. My hands and feet turns orange/red.

After a ton of advice and some serious thought-I decided to stop everything except meds like birth control and thyriod. Turns out the vitamin c powder I was taking in smoothies was making the hives even worse.

I stopped the smoothie and the hives are not gone, but they are defiantely A LOT better. I imagine since I've been taking 20,000mg since last Friday it will take a several days to completely detox, because I know I detox slowly.

I do not know what brought on the hives-I think my immune system is very suppressed and my body was telling me to slow down. But who really knows. I am just so happy that they can be maintained with benedryl!!!

hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on abx? I have to take a break from them about every 6 months because I build up an intolerance and break out in hives. After they go away, I ramp back up and am fine for another 6 months or so.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a terrible ordeal!! [shake]

Smoothies....What's in them?? Strawberries? Blueberries??

Also, maybe the smoothies activated the yeast/Candida. Yes, you're taking Diflucan, but Diflucan can't win out over a diet containing sugar.

Which probiotic are you taking?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Member # 7910

I stopped my abx-I was taking diflucan and omincef-

The smoothies have orange juice, strawberries, blackberries, blue berries, and raspberris and the vit-c nothing else. Just frozen fruit and oj.

I stopped the smoothies on Wed and by yesturday I thought the hives were on their way out-but this morning (friday) I woke up with hives head to toe. Welts on my face, to my feet.

I left work at 12 and went to the doctor-and did a 3 hour vit-c IV-and it did help-my face looks better but the rest of my body is stil covered with them.

I am going to try doing the vit-c again but with cran-apple-I am beside myself! Please anything you can think of would be great!

AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't finish reading your posts yet but I wanted to tell you I think (non-professional opinion) that this sounds like SJS Steven's Johnson Syndrome, which is a very serious drug reaction.

Had you recently been taking Bactrim or any other Sulfa drugs or is this listed as a possible side effect of any of the meds you're taking?

Do you have a fever?

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin C is water soluble, it shouldn't "build up" in your system. Too much would just give you the runs.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Member # 7910

AliG-

I acually saw a "Medical Mystery" on ABC last week after my doctor had said, there's this syndrome calle Steven Johnsons and if your skin starts to "fluff" or shed go to the ER.

I do not have that condition or atleast I don't think I do. I do not have hive-like sores or darkness or anything on my lips in terms of cold sores (nor have I ever). I did have cold cores inside my mouth but they have all gone away and been gone for almost a week.

I did get tiny white blisters on the palms of my hands that have disapeared. They were literally the size of a pin drop. My eyes are not yellow-they are very clear.

It's really just the hives. Just huge welts all over. I am continuing to take the vit-c and that's it. I have stopped everything else-

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Lindsay,

First, if you are signing with your real full name, you might want to just use your first name for security reasons. Anytime anyone in the future may google your name, your posts will pop up.

=======

As the inside of my hands simply flaked away during college while on abx for "mono" - this caught my eye.

Apparently, infections can be a cause of this, too. Bartonella is listed (cat-scratch fever).

--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens-Johnson_syndrome

Stevens-Johnson syndrome

Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) is a life-threatening condition affecting the skin in which cell death causes the epidermis to separate from the dermis.

The syndrome is thought to be a hypersensitivity complex affecting the skin and the mucous membranes. Although the majority of cases are idiopathic, the main class of known causes is medications, followed by infections and (rarely) cancers.

. . .
Causes
SJS can be caused by infections (usually following viral infections such as herpes simplex virus, influenza, mumps, cat-scratch fever, histoplasmosis, Epstein-Barr virus, or similar),

allergic reactions to drugs, (Dicloflex, fluconazole,[6] valdecoxib, sitagliptin, penicillins, barbiturates, sulfas, phenytoin,

Azithromycin, Modafinil [7][citation needed], lamotrigine, nevirapine, Ibuprofen[8], ethosuximide, carbamazepine)[9][10], . . .

(in the links, it is suggested that Motrin may be involved)

SJS has also been consistently reported as an uncommon side effect of herbal supplements containing ginseng. . . .

Although Stevens Johnson Syndrome can be caused by viral infections, malignancies or severe allergic reactions to medication,the leading cause appears to be the inappropriate use of antibiotics and sulfa drugs.

- full article at link.

=============

I wonder if milk thistle or other liver support might help.

For skin irritations now, I use a very mild soothing gel:

Califlora Calendula Gel (by Broerick & Tafel).

I've tried and tried to use doxycycline and each time I break out in silver dollar sized round rashes - while I know that could be lyme or die-off - they are very hot and itch severely and then very painful even with gentle scratching.

The Calendula Gel really helped when that last happened (and I'll never take doxy again).

It's different from your rash, but still, you might find the gel soothing.

you can just search google with "Califlora Calendula Gel" and many purchasing options pop up. Some vitamin shops or health groceries carry it.

Cold Aloe Vera Gel, too, but the calendula worked better.

Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Jelly - organic. I got it at a GNC store.

Neither of these has an oily base which I thought very good as any oil would have increased the burning.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/erythema-multiforme/overview.html

Stevens-Johnson syndrome

Overview

- and some PHOTOS in the lower left corner can be clicked to enlarge. There are two photos of white spots on a person's palm.

-------------

www.sjsupport.org/photo1.shtml

SJS/TEN Pictures

WARNING: THE PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS PAGE ARE GRAPHIC!
Reaction Pictures , After Reaction Pictures

==================================

More on Motrin and Stevens-Johnson syndrome - July 18, 2008

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2008/07/more-on-motrin.html

-====

www.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/science/22qna.html

Q & A
Skin as a Battlefield

By C. CLAIBORNE RAY
Published: January 22, 2008

Q. I was recently told I had Stevens-Johnson syndrome. What is happening to cause these burnlike skin lesions?

A. The exact cause and how it develops are not well understood, ``but it is almost always a reaction to medications,'' said Dr. Richard D. Granstein, dermatologist in chief at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.

Some implicated drugs include sulfanomides; anticonvulsants; the antibiotics penicillin, tetracycline and doxycycline; and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which may be the most common.

Other cases involve infections.

``Some researchers have hypothesized that certain enzymes are missing in people who are susceptible to the syndrome, so that these metabolites build up and inhibit cell protein synthesis,'' Dr. Granstein said.

``There is also some evidence that immune cells called cytotoxic lymphocytes are attacking cells that make up the upper layer of skin,'' he said. Still other pathways may also be involved.

Treatment is also controversial, especially whether to give corticosteroids. Some studies suggest that intravenous immunoglobulin may be very useful. Controlled studies are clearly needed, Dr. Granstein said.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Causes
SJS can be caused by infections (usually following viral infections such as herpes simplex virus, influenza, mumps, cat-scratch fever, histoplasmosis, Epstein-Barr virus, or similar),

allergic reactions to drugs, .... fluconazole (Diflucan)
+++++++++++++++++++++

You COULD suddenly be allergic to ANY one of the fruits you mentioned.....but have you been drinking the smoothies a lot prior to this latest episode??

Could be yeast too.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Here's a link: emedicine - Stevens Johnson Syndrome

It's commonly misdiagnosed. It's an immune mediated reaction & not an allergic reaction.

If there is ANY chance you have this get to the hospital ASAP and ask them. SJS IS LIFE THREATENING!!!!

I didn't get to read & can't do so now to determine what a time frame for progression might be. Please check it out.

I'm praying for you that it's not that.

Best wishes,
Ali

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

OOps, my last post got hung up. I see you've gotten a lot of good info in the mean time.

I'm glad to hear that you seem to be improving. I must have misunderstood, I thought you were worsening again.

I'm glad we've got someone with SJS experience to help. (Not glad you've had that experience, but glad your here [Smile] )

[group hug]

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

And, oh, be sure your LLMD knows that your other doctor put you on hydrocortisone. There may be special things your LLMD will do to compensate for the steroid cream.

---

AliG
Member # 9734

Did you have a white coating on your tongue with the sores?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement