LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pelvic exams for women on wheels...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pelvic exams for women on wheels...
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to my new gyno and they got me on the table and I was going to have difficulty getting myself in position. Maybe with more time I could have. So he scheduled me to have anesthesia for a pap smear.

What are other women with accessibility issues experiencing?

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ali,

It just doesn't sound right to give general anesthesia for a pap. That would be excessive and medically unnecessary.

Did they give you time and help you with positioning?

I think it is time to find another new obgyn who is more compassionate and willing to take the time needed to help position in order to conduct the exam. Once you are in the right position then the exam is quick.

Too bad they were not more helpful. Better luck next time but definately don't settle for general anesthesia for a proceedure that the doctor and nurse were too lazy to help with positioning.

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that was wrong also! never heard of such a thing!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jam338
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jam338     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Anesthesia can cause a block in the methylation pathway and disrupt detoxification of toxins. Not good. Insist on better assistance support for an in office procedure even it means asking a trusted support person to go with you to help you. In my case DH accompanies me to help me undress and get positioned on the table and then he leaves the room thereafter. I don't have a problem with him remaining in the room with me, but my OBGYN doc is uncomfortable with it for some reason. Unlike my urologist who never has a problem with DH remaining in the room with me.

Please reconsider the anesthesia risk with further problems.

Posts: 495 | From SF Bay area, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard of such a thing. I would think you should find a more compassionate obgyn.

I am sorry you had to go through that.

That's ridiculous...

If the shoe was on the other foot....

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How disappointing to go to all that effort to get there and then not get the job done.

If I read your post right, you could have done it if you had more time and it sounds like the doc was in too big of a hurry.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness. That is AWFUL. You deserve better than that. Could no one assist you? I almost don't even get it? It seems like it would be so easy to help you but instead you went all the way up there, got "ready", and then they wouldn't do it because you couldn't get yourself in position? It was just for a pap?

Well, I'm sorry you had to deal with that, it's already a crappy experience with you can move around easily, then adding not being able to move very well, and people not helping you or giving you the time to figure it out....ugh! That's really upsetting. I would never get put under for something like that, I would recommend either talking to them or finding a new obgyn.

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the support. That's what I thought. So far I have gone twice for exams, once for urology, once for pap. It takes me 75 mins to get there and $100+ for the caregiver. Not to mention losing a day from my recovery program.

I am going to call him to see if he will work with me. I'll let you know what he says.

It is weird how nervous I am to ask for this.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement