LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help with pain PLEASE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with pain PLEASE
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiegirl625     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok i think i have tried everything there is.
I thought the herxing was only supposed to last 2 weeks. Its been 3 weeks and i am still in a lot of pain. I have tried Lyrica... that didnt work. I am taking Topamax now at night and it hasnt starting working yet. My doctor gave me a super low dose of loratab and its didnt touch the pain i took them like candy pretty much. I dont know what to do. Nothing seems to be helping

Posts: 52 | From Owings Mills MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of pain are you having? Since you took Lyrica it makes me think it's more of a neurological nature. I've been on every big gun pain killer there is, nothing ever touched the pain. Strange enough, Klonopin, Xanax, those types completely kill the neuro pain. Bad side to that, tolerance, addiction.

I worry about stuff like that but recently I've told myself that desperate times call for desperate measures. Next time I go back to the doctor, I'm asking for a refill. I tried to rough it for way too long. I'm in horrible neuro pain.

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiegirl625     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what excatly does Neuro pain consists of?
I am so new to this... well not NEW its been a long time But all the terminology
I have a lot of body pain... head aches... jaw pain. Jaw pain has been real bad lately along with the headaches and neck pain
I dont know if its b/c i am young but doctors wont give me a thing
I dont know what to do
I dont know if i should keep going to different pain management doctors until i find one that gives me what i want or what

Posts: 52 | From Owings Mills MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula 007
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula 007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it's just our local area - but my husband and I both have Lyme and chronic pain. 2 diff pain docs in 2 diff counties use the same treatment - methadone and klonopin. I'm gradually decreasing my dosage now - just to be sure I can. The husband is just in such pain, he can't worry about it - he just takes 40 mg methadone 4x a day. We had to find a Pain Management Doctor, though. And one that will prescribe pills. Some want you to have shots or IV stuff.
Posts: 108 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about thinking outside the box and trying chiropractic or acupunture?

I had TMJ pain bad enough that it made me cry (as a Lymie with a high pain tolerance, you know that's bad). I actually had a structural issue and had it fixed by an orthodontist.

Lyme can aggravate other issues that are real issues, such as TMJ.

A subluxation is a great place for bugs to hide out, too. A chiropractic adjustment might really help your head and neck pain.

Have you tried epsom salt baths? I know that sounds lame for as much pain as we can be in, but I found them to be a huge help. The combination of the heat and the magnesium is soothing.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you talked to your LLMD??

Just remember, pain meds will only take the edge off the pain....so taking them like candy and they're not working.. won't get you anywhere "good."

How long did you take Lyrica? Things like that can take several weeks to begin working.

Herxing can last a LONG time, so it's important to get help somewhere!

Sometimes backing off the abx meds will lessen the pain ... then go back on them. All this would have to be at your LLMD's direction.

I hope you get relief soon!!!

Pain meds to consider... Tramadol, Ultram, hydrocodone, percocet, etc. The last two can cause dependency, so be cautious.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

I have tried acupunture, massage...Epsom salt bathes... Just about everything. I take Tramadol... Advil. Just about everything. I dont understand it. I know I have had TMJ issues before but they went away for a long time until the Lyme came into effect. Not fun
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Katie, it sounds like you experience the same type of pain that I do. And I honestly have no idea if it's of a neurological source or what, I just know that I'm in pain.

I just started taking Ultram this week and so far it seems to be helping greatly. I had been taking Lodine for the past year, but on the days I really needed it, it didn't help at all.

An added benefit is that it takes the edge off, I don't feel as anxiety ridden and don't get as easily agitated.

The thing with Ultram is you need to take it every day (I take it once a day) as it is meant to help with chronic pain, so it's an extended release pain reliever. Which only work if you take them regularly.

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Norco. It's 10mg. of hyrocodone. I believe that's stronger than Tramadol, but I don't know for sure.

If it's really bad, I'll take Advil with the Norco (alternating, take a Norco, after a couple hours, take three Advil).

It's the only thing that could even take the edge off. I'm doing really well these days, the pain is most of what my herx feels like now. So, now, I'm pretty functional during a herx, except for the loopiness from taking the Norco.

If you're young and you want Norco, you might take your mom to the doctor with you to assure him you are in this much pain. Norco has a higher street value than Vicodin because it has less Tylenol in it, so he might be hesitant to prescribe it.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Well i dont know if its my age or what. I am i am not YOUNG! LOL i am 24. But i think they worry about people around my age abusing narcotics
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Well, when you said you were young, I thought maybe you were high school or college age. [Wink]

I think doctors are hesitant to prescribe anyone opiods. I know I had trouble getting some! I refused to take any more Zith without painkillers. [Big Grin]

--------------------

katiegirl625
Member # 16776

I am on the Zith too but i dont take the full 600mg and i only take it saturdays and sundays... My pain isnt bad those days its monday through friday when i take the Rifampin. I am also on Doxy
Its HORRIBLE and its been 3 weeks

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I couldn't even handle pulsing the Zith three days on, four days off, at 500 mg and I'd been in treatment for 18 months at that time!

But maybe it's the Rifampin causing your pain.

--------------------

katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Really? What does the Zith do to you?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
katie-i'm glad you get some relief on sat and sun

it sounds like you have bart bad and are really knocing down with the rifampin

one thing you will see as you read more here-3 weeks is just the beginning-not that it has to be bad forever-but many of us do aggressive treatment for 2-3-4 years then have to detox and rebuild immune system.

lyme, bart etc are not like strep---10 days and you're done. and long term usually means months or years not weeks.

also-some llmds think it is counter-productive to herx too much.

back when i did treatment with an llmd known for his high dose abx (it worked) i used to celebrate the herxes-knowing i was killing ketes and making progress.

but my current llmd says if you herx too much ...back off of meds. maybe you should talk to your llmd about that. they all are a little different.

there were times during tx where i decided -ok-whatever it takes i'm gonna do this tx 2 or 3 or 4 weeks...and i didn't work and hardly got out of bed-but i knocked it down. it always seems like a bad time to "stop" your life...but it may be worth it to make a dent-then you can maintain at a slower pace

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement