LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP: Job Interview tomorrow. I'm freaking out!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP: Job Interview tomorrow. I'm freaking out!
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG. I'm so scared.

Just got a call for an interview tomorrow morning at 9:30 a.m. for an English Composition Assistant with a high school. I'm really freaking out.

I'm terrified that I'll do a horrible job in the interview (my lyme has really done a number on my speech and thought processing, so I forget words and stumble a lot, etc.).

Plus, I've never had an interview with such 'professional' people. What I mean is, all the other jobs I've ever had were nursing home positions, humane society, and then this last job with court stuff (and at the time, that was a huge deal too). What if I make a fool of myself?

And then I'm also terrified that I'll get offered the job. I'm still scared to work. It will be part time, which would be MUCH better, but I'm still scared of the bad days. What am I going to do at work on a bad day where I feel flu-like and dizzy and awful? Augh, and then what am I going to do on the days I have my period? My period always makes me so much sicker.

This is ridiculous... for some odd reason, I'm on the verge of tears! [bonk]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a deep breath! You'll be okay! It's a high school! Court stuff sounds scarier to me!

Congrats on the interview.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six - well, not actual Court people who work at the court... we would edit and proof court cases... so it's kind of working for the court.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, it's a high school. High schools seem pretty relaxed, so you'll do fine.

If you mess up, just laugh and tell them you're better with English than you are with interviews!

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my 'tude. If the job is a fit, it will be a fit. There is not much you can do. Don't be afraid to be yourself. You should interview them as much as they interview you!

I've been in the workforce long enough to know that nobody is perfect! Not even the dude in the ivory tower.

You will learn to cope/compensate on your bad days, I think. At least you need to give it a try.

You might still be better off than the mother/father of the newborn who was up screaming all night. I've been there myself and know that I didn't get anything done. I say the same now with the Lyme.

I've been working full-time and brute forcing it through the bad lyme days, which might have delayed my progress with the Lyme. But I also need to eat and keep my career.

Just don't forget to be yourself!

I'll reiterate -- if the job and people are a fit, then they are. There's not much you can do about that!

Best of luck!
Allie

Posts: 300 | From Northeast | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
disturbed, best wishes my friend!

don't worry about the WHAT IFS; deal with them if and when they come up, and not in your mind ok!!

try to relax, and remember the old saying about people giving speeches, pretend everyone is NUDE, and a smile and laugh will come naturally to you. lol [lol] [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
Still, it's a high school. High schools seem pretty relaxed, so you'll do fine.

Are you kidding???

Disturbed... What will be your duties? Will you be assisting in proofreading compostitions, or what??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending you good thoughts and positive energy for tomorrow!

Don't forget to breathe.

You will do great!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
llelnino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for llelnino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodluck on your interview.
Posts: 103 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:

Disturbed... What will be your duties? Will you be assisting in proofreading compostitions, or what??

Here is what it says of the job: "Assists the English teaching staff, especially the teachers of language and writing workshops, by working with individual students or small groups in all phases of the in-class writing process. Reads and corrects student compositions; provides students oral and written guidance for revising and improving their written work. Tutors students or small groups on matters of grammar, usage, mechanics, rhetoric and other areas of writing skill deficiencies.

Instructs students in English computer lab; teaches students use of computer and software; helps locate and correct computer problems. Confers with the English resource teacher and the English department as a whole to evaluate and plan improvements in composition instruction. Performs related work as required."

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Are you kidding???

Well, her concern was that it was her first professional interview ... maybe I should have said "informal"?

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... that's pretty comprehensive. I didn't mean to freak you out, but as a former teacher I don't consider schools to be relaxed environments! Sorry!!

I would go to the interview and see what happens. It's certainly worth a shot at it.

What do you think about the job requirements?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Six.. I don't think she should feel threatened at all by the job interview, ... teachers are nice people!! [Wink]

It's the work I would wonder about.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

disturbedme
Member # 12346

quote:

What do you think about the job requirements?

It seems fine to me. I graduated college with an English BA degree. This job would basically be what I went to college for.

The only thing that has me kind of iffy is having to teach or speak with a group of kids. I didn't go to college to become a teacher, but to work with English, writing, editing, helping others write essays (but not in large groups, lol), etc., because that is my passion. One on one is fine with me though.

I'm not really afraid of the work I'll have to do. Right now I'm terrified of the interview and terrified on what I will do during days I'm not feeling well. I guess I will just have to push through it. My husband is a physics teacher and he knows someone who is also a teacher and has lyme and pushes through it even if she doesn't feel well.

But I don't think I will tell them at the interview of my illness. Not sure if that would be a good idea...?

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

No, not a good idea at all.

Only you know your limitations. It sounds like a big job .... working with students is high energy.

You seem to be pretty high functioning, so maybe it's a good opportunity for you.

Remember, it needs to be an environment you feel comfortable in. You should be able to tell if it's a fit for you. [Smile]

--------------------

FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D -

I want to wish you luck tomorrow, my friend! Just smile and be yourself. How could they not like you?

If the interviewer asks what you've been doing between your last job and the one you're interviewing for, you could just say that you were taking a bit of time off. Also, I think saying what you just said here is important. You're hoping to find a job for which you went to college.

When tomorrow comes, if you are still feeling really nervous, then just pretend that you're feeling confident, enthusiastic and eager for the job. I'm serious. Sometimes just going through the motions and pretending can help one get over the hurdle.

As for handling the days filled with the yuckies, I suppose you won't know how much is too much until you try. Sorry to sound so cliche, but just tell yourself to put one foot in front of the other and see what happens.

I think the kids'll love you though.

Let us know how it goes!

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I KNOW you can get through the interview... so if you feel your job qualifications match, you'll sail on through! [Smile]

I saw that about groups and figured that would make you nervous. Ask them what size groups they are talking about.

It may only be 2-3 students at a time.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck, a! i'm excited for you! let us know how it goes. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kylasrain
Member # 12031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kylasrain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong forum, but good luck!!! I teach high school science...keep us posted! [Cool]

--------------------
http://kylahikeson.blogspot.com

Posts: 97 | From CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it goes well. If you do get the job & it doesn't work out or you are too ill - you can always quit.

I don't think I would tell them that I'm ill. It's not required for them to know your medical history - especially, right off the bat.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LED
Member # 9620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LED     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have continued to work through out most of the course of LD. I became a single Mom two years after I contracted LD. I continued to teach at the HS level and even take Masters level courses. What saved me was to be completely honest. If I was having a day where my memory or speech were not jiving, I would just tell my students. I disclosed my LD to them from day one. This really help decrease my anxiety which we do need b/c it just causes things to be so much worse. I told my students/professors that I was not looking for sympathy, but wanted them to know why some days I might seem a little off.
For me, working has helped. It has forced me to fight even harder to keep up with me treatments etc. Having school hours is great b/c you have all of the breaks and holidays. There were days when it was a real struggle, but overall it has helped me.

L.

--------------------
Texas

Posts: 54 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Waiting for news from Disturbed! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How'd it go???

Crossing my fingers AND my toes for you.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Hi guys!

Well.... the interview didn't go as bad as I thought it would. I made this huge deal out of nothing... but I do that quite often, unfortunately (maybe it's the lyme or Bart). Actually, the deal I made was more than just about the interview. I was also upset because of the distance. If it was closer, I think I'd be more happy about this job.

I think the interview went well, but I don't think I'll get it. And I'm not sure I want it anyway. It would be a 30 minute commute. And I know that's not all that bad, but driving while feeling sick is very hard, so that really scares me for those days when I'm just not feeling up to it. I also don't like the fact that it's that far away from home and from my hubby, in case of an emergency or something.

If something came up closer to home (like my hubby teaches at a high school only 10 minutes away) that would be ideal.

She told me they'd be making a decision at the end of the day... so that should be SOON actually. We'll see. I don't have my hopes up because I have a lot to ponder if they offer me the job. But who knows, they may not offer it to me... and that's okay too. It was a good interview experience for future ones.

Will post later on if they offered me the job or not.

Thanks everyone for your support. [group hug]

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Glad it went well. I can understand not wanting to drive that far.

--------------------

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D, I can understand your concern about the distance, especially in this area.

As for the duties, it is easier to work with a small group of kids than an entire class. They are more apt to focus on what you are doing with them, than a large group would be.

Also you should ask for guidelines for discipline with the kids, in case they are not cooperative.

Find out how they would like you to handle it. Sending them back to class without the personalized help may be an option, but get this clear when you start the job.

In addition , as an assistant you would probably not be required to take home work. That's why teachers get paid the "big bucks" [lol]

Hope you and M have had a chance to discuss all this. As someone already in the system he may be more familiar with how the job demands will affect you.

Does the driving involve the beltway, or is it on less traveled, and crazy roads? That would make a difference to me in making the decision.

My first full-time teaching job in this area was a 30 minute commute, but I went the back roads and it was much less hectic for me to handle.

Now the same drive is a minimum of 45 minutes, but it's 18 years since I started that one!

Good luck I hope you get offered the job, but if you don't the right one will come along.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
30 minute commute... that's not bad where I come from. I used to take the bus to NYC every day. It was like an hour & a half each way. Then, I had to walk 20 blocks each way to my job from the bus station.

I was actually good exercise when I was well.

So, you can see why I had to stop working... no disability, either. I did have a great job in some ways. My boss was a neurotic nut, though. I couldn't even think of doing that now. And people here wonder why I'm moving...

Did you tell them that you had Lyme?

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Still waiting for the call. It's 5:30... I thought I would have heard something by now. [Roll Eyes]

Matt said if they don't call by at least 6:00, then that's probably an answer in itself. But from what the lady said, she was going to be making calls at the end of the day... so I thought even the people who didn't make it would be called. Augh.

lymednva - To get there, you take 270. But there are other ways instead of taking the highway. Though I think the highway would be the fastest, though definitely more hectic. When I went to the interview today, I used GPS and it took me a totally different way not using 270.

Sparkles - I did not tell them I had lyme. They did not ask anything about health or any reason for me to bring it up. That, and I was told by a few people here not to bring it up.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

sparkle7
Member # 10397

I think it's best not to be to forthcoming about health issues with jobs or pretty much anything official (except applying for disability or something).

It's best to keep your medical records or related issues private.

You never know... in the future, they may actually discriminate against people with various health issues. Instead of a urine test - it may be a genetic test...

If you get the job & you trust the people, then, maybe you can bring it up. People can be funny when it comes to illness.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
disturbed, thanks for feedback ... you survived it! [Smile] [group hug]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement