LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Iodine and Ioderol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iodine and Ioderol
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order to attack Lyme and improve my body's ability to detox, I am on a half a pill of Ioderol daily. Is it possible to herx on this amount? Does it really help the body? What does supplementing iodine do?

If anyone has any experience with this treatment, I would love to know what happened to you.

Thanks!

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to take 4 pills a day. Most Americans are low in iodine. If you Google iodine deficiency you will see why it is good for the body.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Iodoral as well. I was taking only one tiny tab of it a day, but my new LLMD wants me to take two a day.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iodoral is an iodine supplement. it has been suggested in many sites that tap water with its chlorides & flourides and bromides in breads are systematically removing iodine out of peoples bodies. If you look at a periodic table of elements there is a column called halides. The 4 elements belong is this halide group.

iodine is essential for proper thyroid function. lugol's and iodoral help to put the iodine back into the body. we talk of herxs, one herx is the displacement flouride in the body when iodine is put back in.

a physical symptom of too much flouride is brown or yellow patches in the teeth called flouridosis.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you know if you need it?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are tests you can take that determine the amount you have in your body.

Has anyone here herxed when they have taken Ioderol/Iodine?

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cd57 - the tests I know of is a urine test. That's what I had done and I was low.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already tested iodine...it seems to kill lyme.

Anyway...in doses that I cannot verify.

Overdose of iodine will kill.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just started to take Ioderol this week. And I have noticed a very interesting effect of it, maybe you have already herd that a common thing about many Lymies is we dont sweat. I never needed to wear sweat socks in my shoes or even antiperspirant, since starting it I'm really starting to sweat !
Posts: 203 | From tipp city oh.45371 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i probably need it-my thyroid is low-but i get wicked reflux from it. my llmd said he didn't know anyone else who did.

anyone here get reflux from it?

i didn't know lymies didn't sweat...i have always sweated alot. too much. like drenching sweats. originally i was positive for babs and erlichia too---but my other babs symptoms went away and i thought the quick sweats i have at wierd times were just another symptom.

have others heard of not sweating as a lyme thing?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on 16 drops of Lugol's daily since October of last year.

Please note this is a considerably larger dose than most people take. The usual dose is 12.5mg. My dose is equivalent to 100mg.

Btw, I have my dr's approval to take this amount.

I originally started taking it to try to shrink multiple thyroid nodules. There's a very large nodule which was 4.7cm when first found and was suspected to be cancer as of the last FNA done in Oct 07.

Since being on both the iodine and in lyme treatment (dx'd and started tx March '08), the nodule is now down to 3.4cm and has shrunk in other dimensions as well. I'm due for another FNA next month. We'll see.

The other nodules in my thyroid have also either gotten smaller or disappeared. As an added bonus, the cysts on my ovaries and in my breasts have markedly reduced or gone away.

Don't think it's done anything in particular for the lyme. I do, however, think it's helped to keep my thyroid in order and yeast down to a dull roar, even with lapses in diet.

As an experiment (which I tend to do on myself from time to time), I decided to take 2 months off the iodine.

During that time, my energy level dropped dramatically and I didn't feel as well.

When I started back on the Lugol's, I had the detox feeling all over again. Sweats, zits, greasy hair, and a not-so-nice body odor.

It was like puberty all over again, only without the social awkwardness. This passed after about 2 weeks.

It wasn't a herx. It was a detox. All those nasties that had accumulated in my thyroid were out running around.

Upped my water intake and started large doses of vit C (6000mg daily) to try to flush them out. That helped.

I've found it best to take the iodine with food to avoid stomach upset. It's also good to take it well away from any probiotics.

One additional note: if you're lactose intolerant, you might consider Lugol's instead of Iodoral. Iodoral is lactose-based.

Lugol's is also considerably cheaper, although it does have the nasty problem of staining anything it touches if it spills.

Lugol's can be applied topically and I swab my thyroid area once a week with several coats.

Do not do this if you have an important social engagement as it tends to stain the skin and leave a dry patch. Vit E over the area afterwards helps with the dryness.

For the record, I DO NOT recommend anyone taking the huge dose I am without their dr's approval.

I had to ramp up to 16 drops over a period of 3 months (July to Oct 07) and am taking this large dosage for other medical reasons and with my dr's approval and supervision.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement