LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diet for Bartonella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet for Bartonella
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Icon 9 posted      Profile for katiegirl625     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

I have read all of the different diets that you are suppposed to be on with lyme and the coinfectoins. My main problem is bartonella.. I actually see Dr Singleton the Doctor that wrote the lyme disease solution book. he told me to def. stay away from sugar and gluten.

I have just been having a hard time figuring out what to eat... i lived off of pizza, mac and cheese and bagels before!
haha

I have been trying to eat like chicken and salads. I just need a varity

Posts: 52 | From Owings Mills MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are on antibiotics, you need to avoid sugar like the plague! Gluten is one I HAVE to avoid, as I am intolerant of it.

Stay away from all starches... like the foods you just mentioned!

More info here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiegirl625     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Is tuna fish ok?
I didnt know if i could have Mayo. Sucks you can't have peanut butter either.
Sheesh!
what about low carb bagels?!

Posts: 52 | From Owings Mills MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuna is OK... but don't eat it too often. Most tuna contains mercury.

If you're going to eat low carb stuff, make sure it's from a health food store or store where they sell high quality low carb products.

Eat any carbs in moderation. You don't want to feed the yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiegirl625     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thank you!
This is so tough [Frown] it stinks to have to follow a diet. Everyone says when they have lyme they lose so much weight but I actually gained 20 LBS since I started with my Lyme 3 years ago and can't seem to lose it at all... not even a pound. I dont know if its b/c i feel so horrible that i just dont even care about anything else. [tsk]
I need to stop that!!
The diet is probably the hardest part of this whole thing though. not fun!

I am also having so much trouble finding a pain medication that helps me. My doctor will not give me narcotic
so that stinks [Frown]

Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/supplements-reviews/glutamine-side-effects-benefits.htm

so based on benefits on healing the GUT

CAN WE OR WE CAN NOT USE this ?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

ALV
I have No idea?
I am just wondering about the diet
I have no clue about supplements i am new to this whole thing

Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think rice has gluten, so you could make stir frys with brown rice (more fiber, etc than white rice).

Search "diet" in the search feature on this site and change it from "Entire Message" to "Subject Only"....or maybe search the word "Recipes" there are lots of suggestions.

Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dr. Singleton has recipes in his book too? Can't remember. You should be able to find gluten free recipes online.

I bet you could make your own soups.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a great gluten free flour baking mix called Pamela's-I need my carbs so I made scones from it, or waffles on the weekend.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I am going to post this most unpopular view but I can't resist....

I don't follow any special Lyme type diets. I am trying to eat healthy and trying to shed some pounds, but I do not take any additional steps beyond that to avoid sugar, gluten, etc.

I know that is a Lymie no-no, but I swear I just don't see where any of my Lyme friends who are miserably following strict diets are any better off than me.

Many of them are in fact, sicker. Other than having Celiac or a true sensitivity to gluten or yeast, I just don't see anyone getting cured faster or feeling better overall than I am, with no specific dietary restrictions.

I also know several of the old timers here got better with treatment and no dietary restrictions at all.

With that said, I had cornflakes and fresh blueberries for breakfast today, Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies for lunch (that is a no no but there is a box in the house), baked beans and blue corn chips for supper, and a piece of Carvel ice cream cake.

Normally I don't eat as much sugar and fat as I did today....but I truly don't notice any difference no matter how I eat.

Ok, nuff said. I'm sure there are many of you who DO notice a difference when you eat differently; I just hate to watch people suffer so over what they eat when I question how necessary it really is.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up gluten a number of months ago because it seemed to make my twitching much worse for some reason (could have been mental, don't know).

I also cut back on refined "sugary" sugars, but still have to have my non-sugary carbs--couldn't give up everything.

Anyway, it was tough at first, but if you're not giving up carbs altogether, here are some fun gluten free carbs you can still eat (I'm not saying they're good for you though):

Doritos (NOT Nacho cheese flavor--has wheat, but Cool Ranch is OK)

Cheetos

Tacos

Corn Chips

Potato Chips

Potatoes (mashed, baked, french fries)

Popcorn

rice (although make sure you don't eat any Chinese food that contains soy sauce)

grits

There are also all kinds of gluten free things you can find at Whole Foods (make sure label indicates it's gluten free because some of these brands make regular food that contains wheat too):

puffed rice cereal (Rice Krispies brand is a no-no due to the malt they use, but Erewohn is OK)

waffles (Van's brand is awesome)

frozen pizza (Amy's, and Glutino brands... they use corn and rice in the crust)

microwave noodle meals (made by Glutino--uses rice to make the noodles)

mac and cheese (Amy's)

dry pasta (must say wheat or gluten free, made of corn and rice)

they also have gluten free cookies, crackers and bread in special sections

Again, it requires lable-reading, but once you get used to what you can eat it isn't so bad. I only pray that I can have a beer again one day! I'm determined... it will happen [Smile]

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toby67
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah it is really hard - but i always have more energy when i stick to protein and vegies only - all that sugar and the bugs have a party!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Katie,

What does Dr. S say sugar and gluten do specifically to bart?

Diana

Posts: 202 | From vancouver, canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tabby
Member # 13917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tabby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started this diet yesterday, as I am feeling horrible and think that leaky gut and candida might be contributing to that.

I found a good site that lists what you can and can't eat and also has alot of recipes to fit the diet.

http://wholeapproachforums.com

Good luck with it, I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up, I love food soo much, but Im gonna try.

Posts: 42 | From new york | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

This sounds like a stupid question but what is leaky gut?
Tabby
Member # 13917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tabby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaky gut is where the yeast (i think) help to erode the lining in your gut, so that when you eat foods, they get through the lining and into your blood stream.

This usually causes allergies to the foods you eat most, so when you unknowingly eat these foods your allergic too, you can get very sick.

Posts: 42 | From new york | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

VB said:

"I gave up gluten a number of months ago because it seemed to make my twitching much worse for some reason (could have been mental, don't know)."

A known result of celiacs eating gluten is myoclonus... muscle twitching, basically.

Steer clear of that stuff!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement