LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Being thin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Being thin
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone here is unable to gain weight easily? The first 2 years when I was sick (bedbound at times) I gained weight and now I can't keep it on.

My LLMD asked me if I was anorexic or bulimic (although I have a large ribcage for a woman and probably when I laid down it made me look emaciated since my ribs jut out).

I eat more than my husband, but I am still breastfeeding my 2 year old though she also eats food and I am working on weaning her because once my tests results come back and if it's positive I'll have to start treatment.

Thanks!
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was losing alot of weight prior to getting diagnosed with lyme and treating it. I was eating alot too but wasn't breaking down my food properly so I constantly had alot of digestive issues.

If you aren't taking a broad spectrum digestive enzyme every time you eat and Betain HCL when you eat protein most likely your food isn't being digested properly causing malabsorption.

I suspect the abx are causing me to gain weight too but I can't be sure...

Once I started abx and digestive enzymes the weight came back immediately, so now I look healthy but feel crappier than ever [Smile]

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost 30 pounds on antibiotics and have only been able to regain 10. My food absorption seems fine, but I am super thin. Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people are just naturally thin...I've always been a small thin person. It's funny how society accepts obesity but if you are thin you get constantly questioned about how much you eat.

I always get asked how much do you weigh? What do you eat? If I were overweight, would people be asking me the same questions? It's rude!

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also became very thin from Lyme treatment. And besides the yeast diet I avoid all gluten, dairy ,eggs and beans so there very little to put on the weight.I think parasites also play a big role. Most all westerners on a american diet have them. Yuk ,I know ! When I herd that I started to treat for that and sure enough.
I havent tried this particular cleanse but I have read on here that Human Worm is a good one if your intrested.

Posts: 203 | From tipp city oh.45371 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cadames62008
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cadames62008   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lost alot of weight when i furst got sick I was 145, now i weight 110 with shoes and all on.

I can't keep weight on or gain any for that matter.

--------------------
Christina

Posts: 102 | From Lacey Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Kissis - check for parasites or better yet, just go ahead and treat. The tests aren't very reliable.

The majority of people with lyme gain and can't lose. That is me. I eat very little but look like I eat a lot.

Toxins, inflammation, food allergies, messed up hormones like leptin and msh and other things mess up our metabolism once we have lyme disease.

As you probably know, breastfeeding takes a lot of calories.

Consider looking into any co-infections that you have to see if it makes sense that one could be causing this problem.

Check for allergies to food as well as celiac which is a problem with wheat. Some people can't gain when they have these problems, others have the opposite and can't lose.

Hope you find a solution.

Mandy wrote:
If I were overweight, would people be asking me the same questions? It's rude!

I'm sorry people are rude to you. [Frown] Unfortunately this kind of behavior seems to extend to anyone who isn't average looking. This happens all the time to people who are overweight too. It is unfair, especially when you can't do anything about your weight. Hang in there. Just know that your weight is not a measure of your worth. [kiss]

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you worried about passing on Lyme by breast feeding? I hope this question is not too personal but I think Lyme can be passed through mother's milk.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. I've considered the possibility of parasites or gluten intolerance. My family is generally pretty thin, but I was always about 130 lbs (at 5'5") and pretty muscular (had been a gymnast and sprinter before I got sick).

I also have SEVERE anxiety, sometimes I pace when I get anxious even if I'm tired, my body will just not calm down, I suppose I burn a lot of calories when I'm in this state (sometimes for an hour or more at a time).

I used to not eat much when I was newly sick and couldn't lose the weight and I was 19, so my metabolism should have been fine since I'd been an athlete until I was 18.

This is so annoying and confusing. I was a little offended when the doc asked me just because I am sooooo all about women being kind to their bodies after watching my SIL starve herself with anorexia (and she still has it).

thanks again!

ocean

--------------------

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Angelica,
Yes, I'm trying to wean now, I figure since she's been nursing for 2 years then it's probably too late. I'm also waiting for the 'official' results to see if I have Lyme.

We are currently living with relatives and I can't wean her because she is going to be pretty upset and we don't want to wake everyone up in the middle of the night. We are moving back home to OH where our house never sold (from CA) and I will wean her then as we won't have to worry about noise. I weaned my other 2 children at age 2.5 years and they could wail pretty loudly at night in protest, lol!

--------------------

Ocean
Member # 3496

Angelica,
Yes, I have recently read that it CAN be passed via breastmilk. I figure since she's been nursing for 2 years then it's probably too late. I'm also waiting for the 'official' results to see if I have Lyme.

We are currently living with relatives as of last week and I can't wean her because she is going to be pretty upset and we don't want to wake everyone up in the middle of the night.

We are moving back home to OH next week where our house never sold (from CA) and I will wean her then as we won't have to worry about noise. I weaned my other 2 children at age 2.5 years and they could wail pretty loudly at night in protest, lol!

--------------------

Angelica
Unregistered

I totally understand. I just wanted to make sure you did know it could be passed through breast milk and you do know that.
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyjohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i lost tons of wieght at first, i was a skeleton by the time i was finally diagnosed!
it took a while of abx treatments, but i gained 10 or 12 pounds in the 6 weeks between my last 2 llmd appts.
i just started eating more. protein shakes in between meals.
i eat dinner, then a second meal with a bunch of fat to take my mepron with a couple hours later.

now i recently added creatine into my regimen, to add muscle mass.

so, i might not be right, but i think if you eat lots, esp extra protein and decent amount of fats, you can begin to put on weight.

btw, i tested positive lyme, babs, myco, and rmsf in june.

--------------------
do your best to educate the rest because
9 out of 10 doctors don't know jack about tick borne illnesses

Posts: 437 | From shawangunk mountains, ny | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nwisser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nwisser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocean,

This is a long shot, but a malfunctioning (overfunctioning) parathyroid can also make it hard to gain weight. It can put a whole lot too much calcium into your system, causing weight loss and eventual calcification of organs. There are blood tests for it.

--------------------
Just because it' s not nice doesn' t mean it' s not miraculous.
--Terry Pratchett

Posts: 121 | From Nazareth, PA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weight loss was definitely an issue for my husband. He's started to gain weight now but it was a real struggle.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also live in Ohio. [Smile]

We did the same thing as you .... moved, house in Indiana didn't sell, so we had to move back there. Finally, after a couple more years it sold and we were able to move to Ohio, where we wanted to be.

I understand what it is like to move back to a house you were trying to move from. It is stressful, and I'm sure it contributes to how you feel. [Frown] Feeling settled should help you a little. [Smile]

I do have trouble keeping weight on. It's just part of it for some of us. I did gain some weight back when I treated for parasites.

A nursing baby takes a lot of calories, especially when they are older. I ate an obscene amount of food when I was breastfeeding, LOL. When you start treating, you can ask for drugs that are okay while breastfeeding. It might help with the weaning to do it over time .... and as you said, the baby is already exposed.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

thanks everyone for your suggestions/stories. Seems like there can be a lot of different problems that could cause it, one just being that I am still nursing a toddler.

I'm going to reread this thread and write down everyones suggestions.

take care!
Ocean

--------------------

Angelica
Unregistered

Thanks nwisserf for suggesting that test. I think I need that parathyroid test too. I think my calcium has been high before as well.
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ocean,

I have Lyme and Co's. I have never been a very big person, average 5'5" and around 125 lbs. give/take a few pounds. I am now down to 110 lbs. and struggle to keep from losing more.

I am hypothyroid (I think due to Lyme) so take Armour Thyroid. My LLMD checks thyroid levels every couple months and she says I'm okay now.

I try to eat lots of fat, avocados, protein...but it is a struggle. I think the Lyme and Co's have my body and metabolism so out whack...it's just one other symptom for me, IMO. I know many others have the opposite problem, neither are good.

I am hoping, that once I see some progress in treatment (thinking positively) this will improve.

I get comments too - people wondering if/what I eat. Then if people see me with plates of crazy/healthy-type food they think I'm just a freak about watching my weight...when really I'm just trying to get control of my health and control of these infections...if they only knew! I would kill for a pizza....all to myself! And...I cannot tell a lie...I do cheat sometimes, due to lack of willpower and also to ingest massive calories! Hope it improves for you! TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 5'8 and got down to 110 lbs and barely could wear size 0 pants before receiving treatment. I totally understand...even family members would sit me down and ask if I was bulemic because they saw that I was eating quite a bit, but just didn't understand how I was so thin.

I didn't either, but praise God I found out! After a few months of treatment, plus daily muscle shakes (I take Cyto-Gainer... you can get it at GNC), I gained back 15 lbs.

Best wishes!!

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am going to get the "skinny" award here. [dizzy]

I have Lyme and co-infections.

I have always been thin prior to children.

I put on 50lbs with my first pregnancy.

Only 30 with my second.

I am 5'7".

I think now I am about 98lbs soaking wet.

I've lost over 30lb so far.

Believe it or not, I am also hypothyroid.

I have had people tell me how skinny I am (family included).

I eat well, but on babesia treatment, I am more likely to eat several smaller meals.

I hope to put on about 10 lbs.

When people ask me if I want cake or something....and I nicely refuse....

The comments of "Oh you just can't be on a diet!" emerge.

My breasts are almost gone (from a C cup to an A),

But really I feel pretty good.

I just wish I had kept my pre-pregnancy clothes.

I now have a hard time fitting into a size 1/2. [shake]

However, I still have some cushion in the rear. [Big Grin]

I hope that once I finish babesia treatment, my weight will adjust upwards.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to mention that high blood sugars can cause one to be thin even though they are eating a lot.

This happened to my brother. He was eating 5,000 calories + per day and was very very thin. He was almost bedridden so it wasn't his level of activity, it was that his blood sugars were high.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/diabetes/hyperglycemia.html
There may be few or no symptoms of high blood sugar. Common symptoms are:
Dry mouth
Thirst
Frequent urination
Urination during the night
Blurry vision
Fatigue or drowsiness
Weight loss
Increased appetite

I hope anyone who can't keep their weight up has talked to their doctor and had an A1C which will give a picture of your blood sugars over the past few months.
http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/a1c-test.jsp

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal, you win the award, LOL. It's a nice bowl of ice cream made from miracle sugar that doesn't cause yeast. [Big Grin]

I also am hypothyroid.

Interesting about blood sugar, Terry.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, I think I might even be worse than Geneal...(though this really isn't a competition any of us would want to win! lol!!)

So I completely empathize with you all, especially you Geneal. Being severely underweight is torturous!

I'm 5'7 and I dropped to 83 pounds. Yuckiest feeling ever.

Luckily I was able to gain back about 25 pounds, but I still have a long way to go. Currently, I'm stuck. I think I *might* have finally hit the 18 range on the BMI chart though!!!

I hope you can all reach a healthy BMI soon as well (though I think we all should aim a little higher than 18...I'm workin on it!) [Smile]

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Ok, I feel MUCH better now, even though I wish you guys weren't going through this too. I totally understand about refusing the cake and stuff, I feel like such a weirdo wondering what others are thinking (such as being on a 'diet' or something, lol!).

I know that my sugars are OK because I check them sometimes, my husband is a type one diabetic, so he has a glucometer. My sugars are NEVER over 100, almost always in the 70's, after I eat in the 80's.

I used to have SEVERE difficulty swallowing in 2003-2004. My daughter was born in 03 and I lost down to about 100 lbs (I'm 5'4 1/2" =) and I looked like I had breast implants since I was breastfeeding and very skinny.

How long have you all had Lyme's? Maybe the long termers are more apt to have problems with this? If my test is positive (which is most likely will be), it will be 12 years for me.

My cousin has a friend who has been chronically ill for years. I was telling my cousin about the symptoms of Lyme and she believes her friend may have it. She also said that she is very skinny and can't put on weight.

Hmmmmm.... I think my hormones may be out of whack too, I'm going to try some natural progesterone cream to see if it helps.

take care!
Ocean

--------------------

Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I feel MUCH better now, even though I wish you guys weren't going through this too. I totally understand about refusing the cake and stuff, I feel like such a weirdo wondering what others are thinking (such as being on a 'diet' or something, lol!).

I know that my sugars are OK because I check them sometimes, my husband is a type one diabetic, so he has a glucometer. My sugars are NEVER over 100, almost always in the 70's, after I eat in the 80's.

I used to have SEVERE difficulty swallowing in 2003-2004. My daughter was born in 03 and I lost down to about 100 lbs (I'm 5'4 1/2" =) and I looked like I had breast implants since I was breastfeeding and very skinny.

How long have you all had Lyme's? Maybe the long termers are more apt to have problems with this? If my test is positive (which is most likely will be), it will be 12 years for me.

My cousin has a friend who has been chronically ill for years. I was telling my cousin about the symptoms of Lyme and she believes her friend may have it. She also said that she is very skinny and can't put on weight.

Hmmmmm.... I think my hormones may be out of whack too, I'm going to try some natural progesterone cream to see if it helps.

take care!
Ocean

--------------------

Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

take care!
Ocean

--------------------

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my blood sugars tested many, many times.

They are always within the normal range.

I actually have a tendency to have low blood sugar.

Probably due to the florinef.

I do better on smaller meals and eating more frequently.

Try to nibble on higher protein food stuff.

However, I do occasionally not just indulge, but maybe over indulge. [Big Grin]

I have to admit that yesterday I had a caramel apple.

Oh my goodness was that good.

Every little bite counted. I took many little bites.

Good news is that I didn't wake up with a white tongue this am.

I think that it is hard to keep weight on partly due to diet

And partly due to the body being in a fight mode constantly.

Probably burn more calories to just be than other people.

I am sure the POTs contributes also.

How can it not when my heart beats rapidly on and off during the day.

However, my blood sugar levels are good.

Thyroid is good with meds.

Cholesterol is good.

Just sometimes feel like the Wicked Witch...I'm melting, melting..... [Smile]

Maybe that caramel apple helped (it certainly helped my sweet tooth) [Big Grin] .

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

I've had my blood sugars tested many, many times.

They are always within the normal range.

I actually have a tendency to have low blood sugar.

Probably due to the florinef.

I do better on smaller meals and eating more frequently.

Try to nibble on higher protein food stuff.

However, I do occasionally not just indulge, but maybe over indulge. [Big Grin]

I have to admit that yesterday I had a caramel apple.

Oh my goodness was that good.

Every little bite counted. I took many little bites.

Good news is that I didn't wake up with a white tongue this am.

I think that it is hard to keep weight on partly due to diet

And partly due to the body being in a fight mode constantly.

Probably burn more calories to just be than other people.

I am sure the POTs contributes also.

How can it not when my heart beats rapidly on and off during the day.

However, my blood sugar levels are good.

Thyroid is good with meds.

Cholesterol is good.

Just sometimes feel like the Wicked Witch...I'm melting, melting..... [Smile]

Maybe that caramel apple helped (it certainly helped my sweet tooth) [Big Grin] .

Hugs,

Geneal

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weight loss has been a huge problem with me from the start of illness.

I was able to gain back 10lbs overnight once back in 07, but this past March I had an increase in appetite and lost it all again, im struggling to maintain 96lbs at 5'3.

At my worst i was 89lbs.

My sugars have been checked too,and they are fine.

I am hypothyroid and actually my TSH is on the high end now, which usually means weight gain, but not so for me.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement