LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I think I smell bad.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think I smell bad.
ItCantBeTrue
Member # 17151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItCantBeTrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just my imagination or do antibiotics make you smell icky? Or is it the Lyme?

Just one more thing to look forward to getting rid of... how embarrassing. [Frown]

I'm currently taking 1000mg of cefuroxime and 400 mg doxy for Lyme since 8/7/08.

--------------------
IGM positive WB through Igenex:
18+ 31++ 34+ 41+ 66+

Posts: 61 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ItCantBeTrue
Member # 17151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItCantBeTrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone else?

--------------------
IGM positive WB through Igenex:
18+ 31++ 34+ 41+ 66+

Posts: 61 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of this before - it's a symptoms of a co-infection, I think.

Hopefully someone with knowledge will respond!

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your lucky you can smell at all. Take a look at my history. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your lucky you can smell at all. Take a look at my history. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I KNOW I smell bad!
[Big Grin]

I guess "bad" is relative. I have days when I sweat a lot.

When my body is toxic, my sweat is stronger smelling than usual. And I sweat a lot during those times. I don't like to wear antiperspirant, because I want to give my body a chance to detox.

BUT

certainly, other thigns can be going on.

so,

1 - your body is detoxing - from toxins caused by drugs, illness, food, stress

2 - antibiotics are chemicals, and I'm sure they would give us different smells, just like when you eat a lot of garlic.

3 - could it be a particular coinfection? I don't know the answer to that one.

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this reply will show up...
yes, before I started antibiotics and before I knew what was wrong with me I just felt like I smelled weird.

No one else could smell me but I just smelled like skin oil or something.

My scalp & hair seemed especially stinky. I changed soap and shampoo regularly but it didn't help.

This has fortunately gone away because I'm totally paranoid about smelling bad.

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bestblondemom
Member # 14103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bestblondemom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that I also smell worst. I use to never sweat and stink. I didn't even need to use underarm deoderant! I thought that I was detoxing through my sweat. I don't know if it is true or not but it made sense to me.
Posts: 19 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bestblondemom
Member # 14103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bestblondemom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that I also smell worst. I use to never sweat and stink. I didn't even need to use underarm deoderant! I thought that I was detoxing through my sweat. I don't know if it is true or not but it made sense to me.
Posts: 19 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed in the past that after a karate class, when I got undressed in the shower, my clothes stunk! I wondered if anyone else could smell it. It wasn't a BO smell but just yucky.

Since I've been doing foot bathes and infrared sauna, that awful smell isn't there anymore when I get in the shower after class. It's a very noticeable difference too.

I'm not on abx as I'm going to an ND. So I'm not sure what the smell was, but I do know the infrared sauna and/or foot bath got rid of it.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you need to do some detoxing.

One thing that will eliminate body odor is liquid chlorophyll.

They have a new product out now that comes in a bottle with a dropper. Just put about 10 drops in a glass of water one or two times a day.

Works like a charm! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you need to do some detoxing.

One thing that will eliminate body odor is liquid chlorophyll.

They have a new product out now that comes in a bottle with a dropper. Just put about 10 drops in a glass of water one or two times a day.

Works like a charm! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

A post so nice is appears twice!

Thank you lyme board computer.

adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well--the bacteria can increase ammonia concentrations in your

fluids...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT to worry. You can stink all you want.

With no one able to see the replies posted here.. they surely can't see you... so they won't know who is stinking up the place!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I began treatment, I felt that there was a strong increase in body odor. It was temporary.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, doesn't have anything to do with abx. I've not smelled like myself for years. I still smelled after years and years with no abx.

I'm not sure what it is? The bacteria(s), toxic die off, who knows? But I do relate.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Solution:

Drink liquid chlorophyll each day! Problem solved!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jamieL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you get liquid chlorophyl? Isn't that the stuff that killed the doctor in The Cider House Rules?

--------------------
Diagnosed with :yme and mycoplasma pneumonia Aug 08.
Treating with Doxy and Ceftin ever since. 15 sessions in hyperbaric o2 chamber

Posts: 183 | From all around | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

any health food store....

never saw the movie... don't see how it coud kill anyone????

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

Sorry if I missed this but I was wondering if the chlorophyl had any other benefits. It would by nice to know you didn't stink. I hate that.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Cloraform caused his death in cider house

chlorophyll is a plant substance and very benign......it won't hurt you.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Cloroform caused his death in cider house

chlorophyll is a plant substance and very benign......it won't hurt you.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fifi25
Member # 16675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fifi25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When considering toxins, it must be recognized that toxins are poisonous substances that are irritating and sometimes permanently damaging to the tissues of the body. Toxins of any type must be avoided and eliminated at all costs. In this article, we will be going exhaustively through the primary types of toxins that I guarantee that you have: microbial toxins and environmental toxins. Microbial toxins, like the neurotoxins of Lyme disease, require a different and more targeted treatment approach than do the more common environmental toxins. Fifty percent of the health restoration every Lyme sufferer seeks will come from effectively eliminating the toxins and reducing the sources of the toxins, i.e., bacteria and toxic lifestyle products. The other 50% of healing will revolve around restoring structure and function and optimal coherence within the body, mind, and spirit.

here is the link to the rest of the articles

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_285/ai_n19170382/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

Posts: 36 | From los angeles , ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fifi25
Member # 16675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fifi25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading about the many general body detoxification nutritional and botanical supplements that are plentiful on the nutraceutical market can be confusing. These products are designed to be general detoxifiers of the liver and intestines. While these products are a very good idea for almost everyone, they are not designed to handle Lyme neurotoxins, nor do many, if any, of these products actually cross the blood-brain barrier to reach the ammonia in the brain.

Lyme Leaky Brain Syndrome

Although many people have heard of Leaky Bowel Syndrome (LBS), few have heard of (Lyme) Leaky Brain Syndrome (LLBS). I coined this term when I became aware of the damaging effects on the blood-brain barrier (BBB) from the accumulation of Lyme-induced ammonia in the brain. Ammonia in the brain is a primary cause of neurological and psychological hypersensitivity. Ammonia alters the permeability of the BBB, enabling larger molecules, such as common amino acids, to cross. When these random molecules touch the brain tissues, they set up hypersensitivities, otherwise known as cerebral allergies. The symptoms of these cerebral allergies are unique and depend on what part of the brain is being affected. Ammonia-induced Leaky Brain Syndrome is one of the primary causes of multiple chemical sensitivities, cognitive dysfunction, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a myriad of other chronic conditions.

Posts: 36 | From los angeles , ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Boss
Member # 3062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Boss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you are having this "Stinky" problem [Smile]

Yep we get the stink. But we are the only ones that smell it, it seems.

It is more of something we smell on ouselves more than what people can smell on us.

I have asked my children, husband, best friends ect.....Everyone I know would tell me the truth and they smell nothing.

Hair and scalp for sure. It's like you can smell yourself.

You get hypersensitive to smells, light, sleep, food, touch, sound......

Mine has come and gone many many times over the years.

I sometimes feel like an alien under my skin like in X files..

In the winter I notice it more than in the summer.

Take care..... and don't worry about it too much as far as other peopel smelling you. It's more you and the sensitivity you have to smell.

Kat

Posts: 1092 | From CA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your bad odor is toxins from the bacteria. I have never had bad body odor until this disease and then it came out of one armpit only. Very wierd.

Lymetoo is right about the chlorophyll. I really chuckled at the confusion between chlorophyll and chloroform.

Chlorophyll is what makes plants green when they are exposed to sunlight. Chlorophyll is extremely good for our health.

I get mine from Nature's Sunshine. It has a mint flavor and is really tasty. I'm looking at the bottle now and it says

-Digestive Tract Detoxifier
-Supports Intestinal Health
-Supports Circulatory Health

Another healthy deoderizer is parsley. You can chop it up in salads, juice it, or just chew it. It freshens your breath and your body odor.

As you clear the bacterias and toxins from your body, this odor will go away.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in there too. Sorry you guys stink, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

I mainly stink in the pits. Sometimes out of nowhere I will instantly perspire a great deal and it has a bad odor. Never had this before LD. I thought it might be a detox effect.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It *might* be due to babesia. Maybe even especially for you, sutherngrl...because I think I remember you having it...if my memory is right.

One of my first symptoms was HORRIBLE smelling armpits. I couldn't even really use a stick of deodorant, because the smell would get on the stick, and when i would use it again, I would just spread the smell around.

I have attributed it to yeast overgrowth in the past, but honestly I think for me it is babesia related.

When I was on Mepron (which treats babesia), it got much much better. I was able to wear nice clothes without worrying that I would permanantly stain them with smell. (yes, some of my clothes, the smell won't come out in the armpits and I have to throw them away).

But then when I stopped Mepron, it started coming back, though not as bad.

I also sweat a lot in the armpits.

So anyways, I hope that info helps!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for letting me know. I will stay up wind from you. [Smile]

Been there. Done that.

A few times. While going to college. Could not find a deorderant that would work. Looking back some of those strange symptoms I had could have been lyme related.

Fast forward a few years. Noticed myself that I stunk.

But, it was confirmed when I walked into my lyme doc's office and he said "You don't stink anymore. This is good"

He didn't quite say it that way. But, it was a lyme related thing.

Couldn't tell you what I was on at that time.

Wasn't even aware that others noticed the smell too or if he was just use to having stinky patients with lyme.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a very strong ammonia smell from my privates. I have never smeeled this before this past year or two. I assumed it was my liver or kidneys, but now wondering if its bacterial.

I don't even sweat at all in my armpits, and they don't smell unless I forget my deodorant.

I do sweat profusely, but only my chest, neck and head, especially around the hairline. its very oily and I have to shampoo my hair more often.

I also have a metal taste in my mouth. (no amalgams, so its not that) I cannot even eat canned food anymore, because I can taste the metal in it.

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try rubbing alcohol for underarm deodorant...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosiers, yes you are right. I just finished my Malarone today and this problem has gotten a little better. I do think it is the Babesia. We will see what happens now that I am done with this med.

I can't belief all of us are talking about stinking! How funny, well sort of. Not making light of it, just gotta find humor somewhere.

We should all build up a big stink and then lock the IDSA guys up in a small room with us. We could ask them if they thought it was all in our heads.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement