LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zithromax: Anybody ever had a problem with TEVA??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zithromax: Anybody ever had a problem with TEVA??
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Zithro 600 mg a day. My LLMD gave me specific instructions NOT to take the zith generic manufactured by TEVA. He said it was crap and that lot's of people have had problems with it.

Well I normally go through CVS and their Zith is made by Greenstone. Never had any problems.

Well, then I got my scripts filled thru wal-greens bc it's cheaper and I pay out of pocket.I took my meds as usual, but within a day or two I started having this awful "zoning out" problem.

I don't know how to describe it other than it was like when you daydream for a few seconds but then you normaly snap out of it.

But for me it was constant - my vision also blurred horribly - I couldn't focus or drive or anything. I just happened to look at my Zith from walgreens and noticed it was made by TEVA.

I never took another one and within a day or two the zoning out and blurry vision went away. I'm convinced it was the TEVA. Has anyone else heard of TEVA causing problems? Has anyone elses Dr. told them not to take Zith manufactured by TEVA?

Just curious...

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Hmmm.

I just dug out two boxes of zith - by TEVA. I had been prescribed that a long time ago but the tinnitus side-effect was overwhelming and I had to stop (I found some medical abstracts about zith. being linked to hearing loss in some individuals and tinnitus is a sign of hearing damage).

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS? It could, too, be for something so simple as gluten in the capsule. Some drugs have gluten - or dyes - that need to be avoided.

- Just a couple hits from google:

www.fiercebiotech.com/story/pfizer-teva-settle-lawsuits/2006-11-22

Pfizer, Teva settle lawsuits - FierceBiotech

Teva will be able to continue selling its generic version of Idamycin and Zithromax." Teva also gains the right to manufacture and market a generic version ...

==========

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2006_Feb_9/ai_n26755906

Teva Comments on Pfizer Press Release Regarding Azithromycin
Business Wire, Feb 9, 2006

JERUSALEM -- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (Nasdaq: TEVA) today commented on Pfizer's February 8th press release regarding azithromycin.

Although Teva has not yet seen the Citizen Petition or the complaint relating to the infringement actions referenced in the press release, Teva believes that these allegations are baseless and without merit.

Furthermore, the Company believes that Pfizer's efforts here are a thinly veiled attempt to discredit Teva and the entire generic drug industry, which have been providing affordable, safe pharmaceutical products to patients for decades.

- Full article at link.

============

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

TEVA did not bring up any results when cross referenced with zithromax or azithromycin .

-

[ 29. September 2008, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow....

I have been meaning to make a post about generic medications in general but have not gotten around to it.

I have taken lots and lots of zith by TEVA with absolutely no results. I have combined it with other drugs and still nothing. Same with generic ceftin and minocycline. My insurance will not pay for anything else.

Yes, I do think that their MAY be a problem with zith by TEVA. It doesn't work.

Some anecdotal items for thought:

1. Co-workers mom was in hospital for some very bad infection. Was prescribed generic Ceftin and continued to worsen. New doctor looked at her and changed to brand name Ceftin. Got better. I believe their was a post awhile ago on here where several people said generic ceftin did nothing for them, while brand name was terrific. IIRC, one poster said "brand name has put me into almost complete remission".

2. When taking minocycline, I did a google search and found a forum of acne doctors discussing treatment for their patients. More than a few stated positively that brand name mino worked far better than generic.

3. A few months ago I saw an article in USA Today reporting on several generic drugs being found to be worthless. Can't remember the drugs but I am pretty sure the drugs were not antibiotics.

If I can afford to I am going to only take brand name drugs in the future. Lets face it, the world is corrupt in so many ways, and pharmaceuticals are such big business, why would we be surprised to learn that some generics are garbage.

Jeff

Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking Teva zith for about 2 1/2 weeks now. This is my first antibiotic and I think it is helping my symptoms. [Smile]

However, I have noticed that I am more irritable and tired while taking it.

I am gluten intolerant and those are my gluten symptoms so I have called more than once to make sure there is no gluten in it. Supposedly, there is not.

I think I will look into getting the name brand next time just to see if it is better.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TEVA generic is bad. Walgreens always dispenses the cheapest generics possible. CVS & Rite-Aid (depending on where u live) carry the Pfizer generic Greenstone.

This is the good one. Also, check with large supermarkets or Costco & see what generic abx they have. Anything but TEVA.

Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teva is CRAP!. Walgreens can order the Greenstone if you request it, but it still didn't work as well as the original. I just called CVS and they said that they can still order the original...Walgreens is lying about it being discontinued in the 600 mg strength.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
havefaith377
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for havefaith377     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what kind of generic Zith Wal-mart carries?
Posts: 117 | From Illinois | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Greeenstone and it has worked very well.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
havefaith, call your local WalMart pharmacy & ask what manufacturer they use for generic Zithromax. I have a feeling they're probably like Walgreens, maybe not tho, call & check [Smile]
Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
havefaith377
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15250

Icon 8 posted      Profile for havefaith377     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap...it's TEVA. Lovely.
Posts: 117 | From Illinois | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigRig737
Member # 17117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigRig737     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
havefaith - i just got my Zithromax at walmart as well. it says TEVA right on the prescription label. sucky. im with ya on that.
Posts: 28 | From Elkton, MD | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeezie-Peezie! Well, at least I know I'm not crazy! Actually, I am - but I have Lyme to thank for that [Big Grin]

Yeah, I think I'll just have to shell out the extra money for the good stuff - better than going blind for sure!

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My zith is TEVA. I couldn't handle it. Now my hubby is taking it for his Lyme. I'll go to CVS and get the brand name for him.

Thanks everyone.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celestia
Member # 15575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celestia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! I'm so glad I saw this. I see the same LLMD as Lauren but I don't remember him saying anything about TEVA Zith, but that sure doesn't mean he didn't. I'm always so overwhelmed with info when I'm there that my notes are total gibberish when I get home.

I was to start Zith in 2 weeks after finishing Biaxin and dumb me, went ahead and got it filled. Just checked and it's TEVA. I use Walgreens. So I called my Pharmacist and she was unaware of any problems but told me she would order the Greenstone and since I ordered it 10 days ago and am Biaxin for another couple of weeks, I should be able to reorder withouth having to take any of the TEVA or if I do... maybe a few days.

She was very helpful, but told me out of pocket if I didn't run it through insurance it would be $600!! So I decided I'd tough it out to get it through insurance which will cost me $25 instead of the $5 that the TEVA cost. No problem... I will gladly pay the $20 extra to get the benefits.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and thank you Lauren for posting it or I would not have known our LLMD's preference otherwise.

-C

Posts: 19 | From Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement