LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Might be moving to Tennessee

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Might be moving to Tennessee
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband's job has an opening in Nashville. We really want to go.

One of the big things that is holding me back is fear of ticks. Are they really bad there? I've been there before but that was before I had Lyme Disease so I never really noticed that stuff.

I live in West Texas now. I haven't seen a tick in over 2 years. We treat our dogs with K-9 Avantix and it works wonders. Would it be the same in TN?

I of course would take precautions when outdoors (off, light colored clothes, tick checks, ect.) I'm just so scared of those dang ticks!

I keep thinking what about when my son starts playing sports. Will we get ticks on us?

I know ticks are everywhere. I just wonder if it will be worse in Middle Tennessee. Here I never see them. Only saw them when our dogs weren't treated.

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not be as bad if you're in the city. Your exposure to ticks will be much higher in TN than where you are currently located.

Then there's the problem of finding an LLMD there. Will you be able to travel to your current LLMD??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely ticks in Middle Tennessee!! But don't let that stop you. It's a great area.
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
It may not be as bad if you're in the city. Your exposure to ticks will be much higher in TN than where you are currently located.

Then there's the problem of finding an LLMD there. Will you be able to travel to your current LLMD??

We'd definitley live in the city. We're going to stay away from the country/ woody parts of the state all together.

I do need to figure out what I'm going to do about an llmd. I dont' know if I will be able to travel to my current one.

I know there aren't many llmd's in Tennessee. I don't know if there are any. I'm hoping to not be in treatment much longer. I'm doing a lot better.

Our house will take a while to sell. I'm going to be staying behind until it is sold. Hopefully by then I will be symptom free. We will see.

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

quote:
Originally posted by Boomerang:
Definitely ticks in Middle Tennessee!! But don't let that stop you. It's a great area.

Thank You. It is a beautiful area that's for sure! I'm trying not to let my fears get the better of me. I mean ticks are everywhere. There are a lot in north east part of the country but people still live there.
tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, there are no ticks in TN that carry lyme disease - just ask my ex-doctor. GRRRRRRR!!!!

Jan

Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I was born and raised in Indiana(plenty of fields and tick havens) and lived there until i was 22, never got bit by a tick. Then I moved to the middle of Los Angeles and got bit within a few months. Sounds like we're at risk everywhere..
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am originally from TN. I moved to AZ in 2006. I am only 28 and became very sick a few years ago. TN is just as infested with Ticks and Lyme's as anywhere else in the world. I currently have Bartonella. I only tested positive for Bartonella, but probably have other various infections.

Dont be afraid of moving there. There is only about 7-8 months of the years and really on a few months that are "high" risk months. If you are in the city...you will be ok. In the fall, dont be afraid to enjoy life. I completely understand how it changes your life. I will not go to TN during the summer, but I would go during the summer to the city.

I grew up in the country on a farm and had been sick for a while...apparently. You will get better, as long as you get with a good doctor. Dont be afraid to live...dont let this demon allow your life to pass you by.

Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tennessee is very beautiful. Yes there are ticks in TN, but there are ticks everywhere.

There are no Lyme doctors in TN that I know of. The good news is that you now have the knowledge of how to protect yourself and your family.

Do what makes you happiest [Smile]

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got infected in a small town just 20 minutes NW of Nashville. The ticks ARE bad there... but take precautions and you'll be fine. They are only bad about 3 months out of the year really.
But in the town I lived in... they weren't just a LITTLE bad..it was a LOT bad.

I love Tennessee though, was raised there. And I want to move back also.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes...I hear there is a brand new LLMD in TN! Hendersonville if I'm not mistaken.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HIGHLY suggest you start seeking a LLMD - there is one that treats close to ilads guidelines there who is pretty good though...pm if interested

he will "follow" and listen to your lead as well otherwise start ssetting up someone near by for they really are not here

other than that

and the ticks especially stari

TN is awesome!!!! home sweet home!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement