LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HBOT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HBOT
oxygenbabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott Forsgen for once and for all stop bashing HBOT.

WildCondor often posts that it was an integral part of her cure. Lance Brubaker built his own chamber, he had terrible lyme (couldn't walk 100 feet) and cured himself with only hbot and saunas. He works a crazy workweek and travels all over, and does booster mild chamber treatments at home when he feels tired--but normal tired, no lyme symptoms for many years.

In addition when I "dove" in Great Barrington N, a woman in her 40's who'd had bad lyme and babesia for ages, did treatments for many months daily, and then switched to twice a week for almost another year. She got well and last I heard maintained wellness. No drugs etc.

So stop bashing a wonderful treatment with very little toxicity that you know from reading on this board has done wonders for some people.

And probably if I'd done it differently and been able to do clinic HBOT for longer and then switch to mild for maintenance I'd be very healthy. It didn't happen that way as I didn't know about maintenance and I didn't know mild chambers existed. I never did it with antibiotics as I don't take them. ON THE OTHER HAND, that treatment rescued me from a terrible situation. After my first 30 treatments I *never* got as sick again as I'd been, *never*. And without HBOT I don't know where I'd be. How often have I posted this and you ignore that statement, even though you know very well who I am, because you don't "know" me personally?

Many have done quite well on HBOT. Julia, who has a home professional-style chamber and treats lymies, is well after a year or so of "low dose" bicillin and frequent HBOT. She has seen others go from practically disabled where no medication helped them, to functional on HBOT. I keep telling you this but you ignore my statements because apparently you can say you don't "know me" and since you don't "know me" you keep posting periodically that you've never seen one person get well from HBOT and periodically bash HBOT and by that you may be harming people.

Unexpeced Ills, try HBOT. It could really help you. I also think you should try IVIG since nobody knows for sure what your pathogen(s) are. However, Unexpected, given that you seem to have a vestibular issue, I'd wonder if its worth it to start a session with HBOT on very low pressure just to be sure your vestibular system and ears can handle it. IE the clinics go to 2.4. I'd try something like 1.2 or 1.3 and that NOT to improve health, just to be sure you can handle pressure. Then try 1.5. And if okay with that go up to 1.75 etc. Eventually to get to 2.4.

Scott, very rarely is ONE APPROACH A CURE anyway in multi-system multiple bug tickborne infection. It would be like bashing ONE antibiotic that does help but is not enough. Rarely does only one intervention alone "cure" lyme. And HBOT can work miracle for those who are so toxic and depleted that they cannot take drugs at that time. It can restore them to a place where they can. It can also help restore muscle function.

[ 16. October 2008, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: oxygenbabe ]

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onmyway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onmyway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Oxygebabe!!HBOT was wonderful for me! I only di d 40 treatments b/c that was all i could afford but i would go back in a heart beat and do another 40!! Also they key is as Wild COndor has mentioned the MONO CHMABER is the only way to go!!! It is the most beneficial for us lymies!!!

I am not sating it works for all but i believe it shoud be integrated into ones regimen of haling!! Along with IV Antibiotics and toher natural supplements!!!

Thanks,
Onmway

Posts: 131 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oxygenbabe,
I would love to know more about HBOT. I saw a woman who got better using antibiotics and HBOT on TV who had Lyme. Someone in my family is friends with a family who has a HBO chamber (he bought one as he has cancer) and my husband's aunt has an infra-red sauna. Any luck with that? I'm wanting to save money, especially if I end up going to Germany next spring.

Does HBOT have side effects? I'm an RN and I remember a patient who had to go for them, but now I cannot remember what he had (I was in Nursing school at the time).

I know it is pressurized and my biggest concern would be the increased risk of blood clots? Is that a valid concern?

I've never taken antibiotics for Lyme in the 12 years I've had it because I just found out 2 days ago that I am positive.

I appreciate any response.

Thanks!
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ocean. I never heard of it increasing the risk of clots---but I'd ask a diving expert or an HBOT expert.

There are some side effects:

1) Some people have trouble pressurizing their ears and need ear planes and Afrin (decongestant)

2) It can oxidize the lens of the eye (did so to mine). In a monochamber or multichamber keep your eyes closed to minimize diffusion of 02 thru the cornea into the lens. Thus you can ripen cataracts or even increase risk of them. Plus myopia that is reversible. I've had eye changes with all the hbot I've done (I've had a home chamber for 4 years and did 3 months in deep dive--to me the deep dive was the problem and mostly the first 30 treatments wehre I did not close my eyes at all). I have to wear reading glasses and I have glare in headlights and sun, and before lyme/hbot I had perfect vision. I don't know how much lyme has contributed to the vision problem but I suspect its hbot.

Not too many people do as much as I do (treatments) but I always recommend closing your eyes in a chamber. I've said this to chamber operators too and I dont think its responsible of them not to explain this to patients and offer them a choice. Yes patients like to watch movies on DVD while in the chamber (through the porthole or glass) but listening to CD's and closing eyes is better for the eyes.

There is also the question of oxygen toxicity. Thus doing deep dives, it's good to take breaks (like, 5 days a week on and 2 days off)....or like WIldCondor, do a bunch, then break for months, then do a bunch.

Basically it is a wonderful wonderful therapy.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my opinion and from the many people I have spoken with that have tried it, I stand behind my opinion.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and you can choose to pursue it if you like.

Trust me, if I thought it worked, I'd be doing it.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive done 40 consecutive dives w julia and i have to say she is the best hbot tech ive met. very nice and very knowledgeable. that aside, hbot does not seem to have done much for me...BUT, i am open to trying it again. maybe i did not do enough sessions.

i tend to agree w scott that it is not as effective as rumored BUT some have miraculous results os i think if one can afford it they should definitley try it. i know i am going to again once i can afford it.

as far as the mild home chambers go, i also would buy one if i had the money, but the proof just isnt out there (except for lance) and i would LOVE to have one i just cant afford it.

when i get some money together i intend to do more clinical dives at 2.0 ATA or higher and perhaps but a mild monochamber for home at some point.

cheers

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Scott, you never voice it as your mere opinion. You keep saying you don't know anybody who has improved or gotten well using it. FOR THE RECORD, NOW YOU KNOW. Next time you bash it, please include that although you don't personally know them, you have read of a number of people on lymenet whom it helped. And don't forget Brooke Landau who has publicly noted that 30 days of HBOT along with a port for IV antibiotics *saved* *her* *life*. Was it the end of her treatment, not by a long shot, but it *saved* *her* *life*.
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OB,
Thanks for the info, that was the other thing I was concerned about, the eyes (forgot to mention it). When I used to work in the NICU (before relapsing), we tried diligently to keep the preemies on the lowest dose of O2 possible. Many ended up needing surgery on their eyes, but in their case, it was life or death.

I'm glad that this has helped you, it's probably one of those things that helps some and not others. Like MMS, I'm too chicken to try that though!

Thanks again and I e-mailed my friend to get the name of the person with the HBOC, so I'll let you know if they let me use it and if it works for me...keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OB,

I am not relaying my experience based on people I have heard stories about on the internet. Rather, I am relaying my experience based on people that I personally know that have done HBOT with limited or no results.

That said, I have heard many more "doesn't work" stories than "does work" stories even from people that I do not personally know.

Again, this is with 40-120 dives and then stopping. Continuation regularly may yield different results.

I think it is unfair to raise someones hopes in a therapy that appears to not work, at least for the majority, when there are other things they might be able to spend that time and $$ on that may have more effective end results.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Brooke Landau--scroll down to where she describes how hyperbaric plus antibiotics SAVED HER LIFE.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/01/30/features/lifestyles/c7fe9f92
4251dabf86256f9500704961.txt

http://tinyurl.com/4evd7

Sunday, January 30, 2005 6:01 AM CST

Brooke Landau to share remarkable medical survival story at 'Go Red'
luncheon

By MELODY PARKER, Courier Arts / Special Sections Editor

CEDAR FALLS --- There's probably not a day in Brooke Landau's busy life that
she doesn't some chronic pain.

No big deal.

At least she's alive.

Having survived congenital heart disease and open heart surgery as an
infant, Landau grew up happy, healthy and driven. At 33, she's a producer
for E! TV's "Hollywood True Story" and an on-air personality at ESPN,
interviewing sports figures like Troy Aikman and Eli Manning. She's worked
as a broadcast journalist, fashion model and corporate manager.

Landau also spent 7 1/2 years fighting for her life in a battle with Lyme
disease. It robbed her of vision, hearing and short-term memory. Severe
arthritis and muscle burning was excruciating, and she lost the ability to
walk. She underwent seven spinal taps and an experimental cure that saved
her life but cost her doctor his medical license.

She will share her story of remarkable medical survival and thoughts on
managing health and wellness at Friday's "Go Red for Women" luncheon and
silent auction at Pipac Centre on the Lake in Cedar Falls. The event,
presented nationally by Macy's and Pfizer and locally by Allen Hospital and
Pfizer, is meant to draw attention to heart disease prevention in women.

The American Heart Association invested more than $348 million in fiscal
year 2002-03 for research, professional and public education, and advocacy.

"Heart disease and stroke claim more women's lives each year than the next
seven causes of death combined, and nearly twice as many as all forms of
cancer," says Nancy Weber, vice president of patient care service for
Covenant Medical Center and chair of the event. "The luncheon will provide a
guide to help women take action against heart disease and make heart disease
prevention a part of their life, because your heart is your life."

Landau agrees. "I've had congenital heart disease all my life and I tell
people to take whatever preventative measures they can for heart health. Our
symptoms of heart attack and stroke are different from men. We don't realize
the daily stress we have can adds to our risk factors."

In spite of her history with heart disease, she never worried about her
health. Then she work up one morning in 1995 unable to move. Doctors gave
her 48 hours to live if she didn't undergo a spinal tap. She was diagnosed
with Lyme disease and spinal meningitis.

"I had been bitten by a deer tick and unknowingly carried this disease for
some time before I woke up with spinal meningitis. I didn't walk again for 1
1/2 years," she recalls. She writhed in pain, swallowed 27 pills a day and
at 6-feet-tall, weighed 120 pounds. After conventional treatment failed,
Landau decided to undergo a risky and potentially deadly procedure.

A tube was inserted into her heart, connected to a pump fastened around her
waist. Antibiotics were pumped into her heart for 2 1/2 months before she
climbed into a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for 30 days.

"The theory was by oxygenating my tissues, medication would more effectively
permeate my body. At the end of 30 days, my hearing and vision returned, my
memory returned and the pain in my joints was gone. It cured me," Landau
maintains.

Some chronic pain remains, but she has her life back and tests free of Lyme
Disease.

Her doctor lost his license because the procedure isn't approved by the FDA.
"It's very sad because thousands of people are sick with Lyme Disease who
could be helped. I've become an advocate for reform because this disease is
growing so fast," she says.

Landau also founded the Children's Alliance Network in 1998. She organizes
models and makeup artists to do makeovers on sick children to raise their
self-esteem.

Landau is proud that she's a fighter. "People ask me all the time, how could
you handle being sick for more than seven years and in constant pain and
still have a life? I'm always shocked by the question. I figured it's the
only choice. You have to persevere."

Melody Parker can be reached at 291-1429 or [email protected]

� 2004, Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, Waterloo, IA, A Lee Enterprises
subsidiary

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Watch this utube tv show on someone who regained so much with hyperbaric:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7KBx8Oxk_c

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Read Noodlydoo's blog on his mild chamber and how it works so well for him (I was the one who first got a mild chamber and then, inspired by my lymenet posts, he got one, some years ago)

http://ticksandlyme.blogspot.com/2008/08/therapy-2-mild-hyperbaric-oxygen.html

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

"He has been treating Joni for several years and through the use of hyperbaric oxygen treatments and antibiotic therapy has saved her life."

The blog:

http://simplefaithblog.com/?p=14

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

And don't forget ME, Scott.
It was a tremendous help to me and still is.
Is that enough?
Good reporters do their research. I did a 5 minute web and blog search with the terms "hyperbaric lyme" to get the above sites.
It's easy.
So don't go telling me you have an opinion and so on. Since you frame yourself as a reporter, even for Public Health Alerts, and have a site where you write about treatments, and go to conferences and report, you *should* take more care with your "opinions".
You could influence someone who might have benefitted from hyperbaric.
You could stop a life from being saved. Read those blogs, people say it saved their lives.
Is it a cure?
Nope.
Does it work equally well in all cases?
Nope.
Are some people nonresponders?
Yep.
Is it expensive?
Yep.
Is it worth it?
For some, it's more than worth it.

SForsgren
Member # 7686

I could provide just as many people, likely more, that had limited or no benefit from the treatment. You started this thread as an attack for my expression of my opinion on this therapy. Share your facts and opinions, avoid the attacks, and let people decide for themselves what is right.

My opinions are my opinions. If you don't like my opinions, that is your right. It does not mean that I am somehow limited from expressing them simply because you disagree.

I've tried a lot of different things, as have most of us. If there was any reason for me to believe that HBOT would help, I'd already be doing it.

If someone expresses their opinion on this board that the Marshall Protocol is probably not a good option, you'll get several MP supporters as well that found it did provide some benefit, but for many, it may not be the right answer.

So, if HBOT is something someone wants to pursue, by all means, do it. It's your choice.

Not doing it is my choice and my belief that most people are not helped by it is my opinion.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

I guess your ego matters more to you than the truth, Scott. I guess you didn't even bother to read the info on all the sites I just posted because you answered so quickly. You could probably sit in the same room with Brooke Landau and tell her she shouldn't have done hyperbaric when after all she could've done, what, zeolite, and biotensors, and OSR, and this herb and that herb and on and on and on. I can't even keep track of what you *do* try.

It doesn't matter. There are people I will never meet who you are probably influencing away from HBOT but at least I have done the service I can on this board and on ImmuneSupport.

[ 16. October 2008, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: oxygenbabe ]

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Ocean, I have a theory which may be incorrect.
First of all, the lens oxidizes in all of us, over 40 we get presbyospia (the first sign) and eventually everybody gets cataracts.

But I suspect if I did the proper (expensive) testing I'd find problems in my ability to manufacture and use glutathione peroxidase. I do well with IV glutathione, and I suspect I have polymorphisms there.

I think those that have eye issues with hyperbaric may have some issues with glutathione. Younger adults almost never have such issues. The lens gets glutathione by diffusion since it has no blood vessels, and maybe in someone like me, glutathione was low to start with.

My other theory is that in some of us the vitreous membrane is a little less "healthy" than in others. I've had some floaters since my late 20's after a virus. Its the vitreous that protects the lens from 02 anyway.

So my best advice is as follows: keep your eyes closed during a deep dive and minimize 02 to the lens. You still can't eliminate it.

If you find you are getting reversible myopia, then you are one of those whose eye is affected. Just keep an "eye" on it. I know people WITH cataracts who did many months of hbot and no further progression of the cataract. But for me, the eyes have been affected. Again, the particular significant change I noticed was after the first 30 dives, in a multichamber with a hood, where I didn't know it was an issue and kept my eyes open. Later I realized and kept them closed which helped, and in a mild chamber it pressurizes with air, and there is less oxygen exposure.

djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OB you really are fired up on this one huh?

i dont think scott or anyone else is saying hbot "doesnt" work in general, just that in his experience and mine for that matter it has shown to have limited results.

we are all here to share info and opinions.

chances are, our opinions and views are going to differ from time to time, but i am not sure it warrants a response such as your own (or does it? because thats the beauty of freedom of opinion and freedom of expression of speech)

just some food for thought

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcoLyme08
Member # 17650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcoLyme08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am seriously considering doing HBO at this moment. I have spoken with Mitch Hoggard in Chico, and with a local HBO center (I'm in NY) that has treated many Lyme patients, recommended by my LLMD.

My LLMD normally does not use HBO with his patients, but he feels in my case, it might be helpful.

I am concerned about the amount of people saying it does not work, and that "relapse" seems to be an underlying theme in many stories... I have spent so much money already on Lyme treatments, HBO is going to cost about $20,000...I will not hesitate to begin treatment (90 dives, 5 days per week, at 2.3 ATA), but I would like to hear some more success stories, other than the same 3 or 4 people.

Also, everyone continues to say a Mono chamber is best. I have grand mal seizures, so I have been told I cannot go in a Mono chamber, because if I was to have a seizure they would not be able to touch me for up to 5 minutes, I could die. I would need to go in a Multi-chamber with a tender. Is this less effective? Why? How?

Anyone else have a positive story to share? I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you [Big Grin]

Posts: 27 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I have also done enough HBOT treatments, I need to add my experience. It did zero, nothing for me. It made things worse.

I am sure that the reasons vary. We never know for certain what the underlying problems are and why we succumbed to Lyme Disease in the first place. Many people are infected and don't fall apart like many of us here.

I am totally convinced that other neurotoxins, mainly heavy metals. are at the base of any chronic disease, and therefore success differs from one person to the next. We all are heavy metal toxic, but to varying degrees and affecting various organs.

Dr. K. stated years ago that it helped some, but didn't help others and worsened the condition. I am not the only one he speaks of.

I redistributed every dental toxin, mainly from root canals, and every heavy metal that I still had in my system during these sessions, and I exited from those chambers a total wreck. That was one of the hardest time I ever had to live through. And I would never ever enter into any of those "spaceships" again, no matter how sick and desperate.

However, as with all other treatment modalities, do your own thing - if it helps, do it. I knew after the first treatment that I should stop, but didn't. I am sorry about it to this day.

The Bionic880 was a breeze for both myself and my husband compared to that nightmare.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcoLyme08
Member # 17650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcoLyme08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:

I redistributed every dental toxin, mainly from root canals, and every heavy metal that I still had in my system during these sessions, and I exited from those chambers a total wreck.

Gigi, could you tell me more about the Dental toxin from root canals? I am scheduled in 2 weeks to have several root canals, some of the IV meds I am on have completely ruined my mouth, and I am also thinking about HBO and wouldn't want this to happen to me. Thank you!
Posts: 27 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

gigi-

your experience is very interesting to me as it depicts exactly what happened to me...

and just recently i had metals tested and they came back extremely elevated for mercury...

i wonder if this was the reason i got so much more violently ill?

ive been trying to figure this out ever since i dove, because like you after the first dive i was so much worse and by the time all 40 were done i was so sick i could not walk or speak. it was hellish as you describe.

does DK offer any other possible reason as to why you responded so poorly to hbot therapy such as possible co infection involvement (it is rumnored hbot (o2) feeds red blood cell infections such as babesia and if it does for babesia why not bart (another red blood cell infection)?

also the idea that active viruses may be worsened from hobt treatment?

i guess there is just little known about hbot and its application to lyme disease since lyme is so complex.

if you can share any other possible reasons as to why you experienced such violent reaction/s to hbot i would be greatly appreciative...

i guess the elevated metal/s do make sense and that could be the explanation in totality for you and me but i wonder if there are other elements at play..

thanks for sharing.

derek

ps- i tried to PM you this info but you do not accept pms i see. please respond to the above comments if you are able. again this is greatly intriguing to me as this is the first i have heard someone haveing the same violent reaction/s to hbot i experienced...

--------------------

[email protected]

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Derek, I don't mind you posting your experience at all. We all need to join in with our personal experiences. I take issue with Scott repeatedly saying he knows of nobody who did well on it, when he sure does know people who've done well. So I posted it for the record.

Re: babesia, I have it, and I did well, so I don't know that is an issue. Maybe with certain strains--Julia posted a study on lymenet a while back where one babesia strain was aerobic, if I recall. My ex hyperbaric doctor who operated a multichamber used to test her and her daughter's blood for babesia before and after a session and would see lots of dead babesia in the extracellular space right after a session.

Maybe people with mitochondrial downregulation because of lyme do better with HBOT.

Who knows.

To the other poster: IMO hbot is given incorrectly for lyme.

IMO you need more than 20 treatments or even 40.
IMO two times a day is OVERKILL and the partial pressure your body undergoes twice a day is not good for it. They never demonstrated a reason for twice a day but I found once a day effective.

Remember I keep posting about Pam Weintraub's cure, taken from Burrascano, in Cure Unknown? Get the lyme on the run, treat until symptom free, go off abx until you relapse COMPLETELY, then attack it again. The idea being that you are slowly depleting the reservoirs of cysts and latent lyme this way.

If you're not getting reinfected this approach may be the ticket.

If I could take antibiotics I'd do them with hbot and with antifungals if I had to, for 2-3 months until symptom free. Allow total relapse and then go right back into the chamber with abx for 2-3 more months. Try it for 3 cycles.

If you can't do that--as noodlydoo posted, if you want qulaity of life and can buy a mild chamber, if you DO respond well, its a big help. Its interesting to me as I haven't been in contact with him for ages, back when he was posting on this board, but I have the same 10-14 day window for HBOT. If I skip it for about 10-12 days, on day 12 I start to have a feeling I cannot explain that feels like the lyme is starting to come back in some way that is awful.

Its interesting, isn't it? Because it's slow dividing, maybe that is a clinical window.

Re: multichambers, they are very effective. There is no evidence that monochambers are better, except a few people subjectively experience that. But if you can't do a monochamber (I couldn't--WAY TOO CLAUSTROPHOBIC, I had to be able to sit up and move around, a monochamber felt like a coffin to me) don't feel a multichamber is ineffective. That's what I did.

djf2005
Member # 11449

OB-

why cant you take abx? severe herxing?

i agree 2x day is overkill.

this is what i did 2.4 2x day for 20 days and it was brutal. if i do it again it will be once a day at 2.0 to start.

i am curious tho what makes you believe you cannot take any abx?

thanks

derek

--------------------

[email protected]

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Derek, feel free to PM me, I won't bother everybody with my history [Smile] .
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again,

OMG do I dare step in here? Okay, I'll be brief,,

Ocean, HBOT & the infared sauna are two of my staples. The HBOT will chelate up to a point and the sauna will help your body release the toxins via your skin. You will not get a blood clot from HBOT but YES there is a danger of embolism so please, If you decide to do HBOT make sure that you go to a facility that has certified & trained staff.

Scott, I would like to make it affordable for you to try HBOT. Try and find someone in my area that will put you up and then contact me. We will work something out... ( I hope that I don't get moderated here )

Derek, Hi honey how are you doing? [kiss] I want you to think back very carefully,, You can also ask your wife, I always recommended that you have yourself tested for heavy metals. I am soooo happy that you finally did. You will start to get better now.

Mycolyme, Please contact me prior to doing HBOT your case is a bit complex. I will tell you that your case should be treated by targeting the GM seizure disorder FIRST then the lyme. Send me a PM and I will send you what documentation I have on protocols. Please do not attempt to treat at 2.4 ATA especially if the personel at the HBOT center do not know how to manage a seizure in chamber...

GiGi, I am so sorry that you had a bad experience. Did you complete the 40 sessions? Did you rule out metal toxicity? [confused] It sounds to me like you may be metal toxic or have mycoplasma. Whether you ever do HBOT or not you should get yourself tested...

Blessings to all, [hi]

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

thanks julia [Smile]

i am starting to turn the corner, thanks for asking [Smile]

i just spoke w care and you are right, the metals are big and i should have listened. i was too sick and out of it at the time to have remembered...

anyway, maybe ill be back one the levels are down.

take care!

derek

--------------------

[email protected]

hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would do it if I could afford it.

It's natural, safe and has shown to improve healing in many ways. Maybe it does not 100% cure lyme, but it can help detox and heal.

Again whatever works you should stick with it.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamieL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi and Derek,

Interesting that you felt worse after HBOT sessions.

I have had 6 sessions. The first one made me sleepy but the after the second one, I felt more energized that I had in months and months!

I have been able to have more energy and come home form work and not crash on the couch for the rest of the evening the way I have been for the last four or so months.

I wonder if you aren't onto something with the heavy metals/viruses making it worse for you? I tested within in normal range for heavy metals.

It would be nice if we could figure out a way to test patients ahead of time to see of they would improve from it or not...

--------------------
Diagnosed with :yme and mycoplasma pneumonia Aug 08.
Treating with Doxy and Ceftin ever since. 15 sessions in hyperbaric o2 chamber

Posts: 183 | From all around | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamie, there is no heavy metal lab test that is dependable. Same as for Lyme. In fact, most people do not show any abnormal amount, because the body is unable to release it for other reasons. That is the puzzle with heavy metals. In 12 years, I have not met one Lyme patient that didn't also have a metal problem. It is easier found with energetic testing. Or at least with a challenge test. Even then, there are people who will not put out any metals until later in treatment.

A good way to test is a hair test. Most the time in often the most metal toxic people, no metals show. Then follows a few weeks of a metal treatment and again a test test. If heavy metals then show up in the hair, you know for certain that metals are stored in the body.

It's one of the better ways to get at the truth.
Metals are great hiders. As long as neurological problems are present, most the time metals are involved also. Never have seen it any different.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jl123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jl123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi,
Is there a particular lab you believe that does the most reliable hair testing? thanks, JL

Posts: 268 | From new york city | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcoLyme08
Member # 17650

Interesting info guys. So, the general consensus is to get tested for Heavy metals before starting HBO? I have the "Doctors Data" urine kit, but haven't done it yet...

What if you are scheduled to undergo major dental work in 2 weeks...crowns, root canals, etc. Does this cause heavy metal poisoning?

Thanks.

BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Folks,

Derek, I can't wait to see you guys again. Stay in touch. [hi]

JamieL That is a very good response. Make sure that you keep a journal of your symptoms. You may after about 10 to 15 sessions start to herx inside the chamber.

Typically, you may start to herx in regression. IOW, you will get your first lyme symptoms first... It may be a symptom that you had ten years ago that you thought to be tennis elbow etc.

Try to incorporate a gentle detox method such as sauna or whatever works for you.

GiGi, I agree with you. The consensus among the parents of the children I treat with autism is that the folicle test is the best. ( Autism sites sometimes have providers listed)

Myco, YES, Please look into testing for heavy metals PRIOR to HBOT if possible. We live in a toxic society unfortunetly. You would be amazed at the metals that healthy individuals walk around with in their bodies. [bonk]

If you are going to have the metals in your mouth removed perhaps you would want to test after you have the work done... Just a thought [Wink]

We should incorporate foods into our diets that chelate as well as low impact aerobics such as a stationay bike. Easier said than done I know,,,

Kind Regards, [hi]

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Turned out to be a great thread.
Thanks for all the contributions.
By the way--don't do dental work right before HBOT or during a time of sessions. A filling needs to settle into the tooth, and if you pressurize your teeth right after dental work it can cause pain. I can't remember how long you are supposed to wait and maybe Julia would know, maybe about 2 weeks after dental work.
In terms of herxing--my main herxes were tendon/muscle pain. My feet would start cramping in the chamber sometimes (this is deep dive). After my first session during my second round of treatments I woke up the next morning feeling so bad I thought I couldn't make it out of bed, but I did, and I never had that amount of die off again. Die off can take different forms. One woman had a faux-gallbladder attack. Nothing wrong with her gallbladder, just lyme dying, but she was in such pain they took her to the E.R. anyway right after a session.

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY!

Hello Lyme land!
Well then, no need to make personal attacks you guys, we are all just trying to get well. What might be the answer for one person, may not work for another, because Lyme is so complex, no one case is the same. So be respectful, and yet keep your minds open. Everyone is free to their opinions.

In my case, I've always gladly shared my experience. O2 babe and I used to argue over mild vs monoplace chambers. Basically, we agreed to disagree, and that's the case here too. It's all part of learning what works best for you.

If you want to read it. Just go to www.wildcondor.com/hyperbaric and you can read all about HBOT and the interview I did with BOEJR about Lyme and HBOT.

In my experience, HBOT done in a monoplcace chamber was very beneficial to my treatment. I did over 200 dives in a monoplace chamber and it helped me pummel my Lyme disease into submission. I would recommend it to anyone with Lyme disease. If you can find a good clinic, one like Julia's then you should definitely give it a try.

One of the keys to my success was keeping up the treatments. Even after 200 dives I would still go back every 8 weeks and do 1-2 more as maintenance. Don't ever stop the maintenance until you are 100%.

The other key was/is to do HBOT while on aggressive doses of antibiotics. All of my treatments were done while on multiple med combinations in sufficient doses.

Good luck and if you need help, just ask.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement