LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have unusual symptom of all fingers going stiff?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have unusual symptom of all fingers going stiff?
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. Diagnosed 4 mos ago, and on Biaxin, Plaquenil, Penicillin, sonn to go on Doxycyclene.

Have many neurological issues, but one symptom I have I don't see discussed much. Almost overnight, all my fingers became stiff, worse in mornings and evenings, and several developed "trigger-finger". Sometimes my fingers are locked in a clench and I have to pry them open. Can be extremely painful, other times just annoying.

Anyone have this? I read that Borelia loves tendons, and trigger-finger is a tendon phenomenon.

Is it possible that this is a neurological symptom and not a tendon symptom?

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lawrence
Member # 16436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawrence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme's for 2 years and just diagnosed mid July 2008, was on Doxy and now on Rocephin. Spinal tap showed it was in my spine and brain.

In May or June I had 3 of my fingers on my left hand I believe stiff at any one time but it changed every day for about a week or two and went to other fingers then it went away on it's own.

Posts: 14 | From Trenton, New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KKYOUNG
Member # 10024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KKYOUNG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a scooter I am riding back and forth to work and numerous times I have had my fingers "lock up" on me and will not move. Particularly scary when your on a bike.
Posts: 32 | From INDIANA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experienced that a number of times. You can also see the girl in "Under Our Skin" has it at one point in the film.

I think it's a neurologic symptom.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this, too. Very painful. I can offer you some hope...

It was worse before diagnosis and treatment. I am a sculptor, and my hands would lock up after working for some time - I blamed it on too many hours doing meticulous work with tiny tools.

Then it began to happen spontaneously. It's what made me wake up and stop accepting the fibromyalgia, MS diagnoses and really investigate further.

Now, after treatment, it doesn't happen as often - but I have never gotten back to doing hours of detail work at a time, so not sure if that might set it off again.

However, after about 8 mos of treatment - I was again able to use a fork and knife and to cut my own food! Minor miracle!

Now, 3+ years later... it is a memory only. I hope the same will happen for you.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this happen too, especially to one of my fingers that I had sprained years ago.

Another thing is that my fingers, mostly knuckles, are so swollen all the time that I haven't been able to get my rings off for 3 years. One of them really needs to be resized as the band is pretty worn, but I don't want to spend big bucks to have it removed and resized.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....Yep when driving sometimes I've had my thumb cross over my palm and just sort of weld itself there...this is usually accompanied by a real painful shin splint in my right leg.

I've taken neurontin and supplemented CA and K for it...also ultram.

it doesn't happen much anymore...don't know if it's even lyme related..I kind of doubt it somehow...

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had the hands or fingers freeze on me, but they have definately felt swollen and stiff as in harder to bend than they should be.

Kind of like I would expect them to feel when I'm, say 80 years old, as opposed to the 41 that I really am.

It went away when I started abx, but my tummy rejected ABX in a big way, so now it's back.

Also, I only test pos for bart and myco, not lyme, if that means anything.

take care,
kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also had this happen many times. Not so much since treating for quite some time.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yep. It's very common for lyme patients. And, it can get better.

Sleeping with carpel tunnel braces on helps me.

Don't push your hands too much, but just the right amount of massage/stretching can help in addition to addressing infections and collagen support.

Magnesuim and fish oil help decrease the pain for me.

-

[ 25. October 2008, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I ever knew I was sick and getting sicker, I started waking up in the middle of the night with both of my hands clenched so tightly that it was a painful struggle to 'unfist' them. I would actually sit there and wonder 'gee - am I nervous about something? no, I'm not. so - why is this happening?'

It was a looonnnnng time later that the dx was made and all of these strange symptoms formed a picture.

It did go away for me, although I have fleeting reoccurances now and then. And by the way, I've suffered from a lot of hand incoordination during this struggle, too.

Best -

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a common tbd sign.

My feet warmed up after being cold for years on a bart target drug gentimincin.

Who knows whats going on...my nathpath was unable to walk suddenly a few months ago and had to go to mexico for a high risk treatment. She has recovered, but lyme hatchlings are now coming back.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I *first* got bartonella, I simultaneously developed bartonella cardiac symptoms and my hands froze into what I could only call "claw hands" where my fingers all froze clumped tightly together and bent forward like claws. It was really scary and I could not pry them apart for a long time.

I have not had that since then, though I have had symptoms where I suddenly can't move at all for a period of time, obviously neurological, but it's not centered in my hands.

Is this symptom common to bart vs. Lyme? Does anyone know?

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have stiffness in my hands and get trigger finger off and on. My other joints are stiff off and on, but my hands are usually always stiff to some degree. I hate when I get trigger finger(s). Scary and annoying.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!!! Sometimes it seems to act up worse than others.

Yesterday I was peeling fruit with a knife and it was like my knuckles/fingers would get this stiff and sort of lock in place. I would try to open my whole hand and the last two fingers on my hand were a lot slower to react because they were just sort of "stuck".

Had the same thing happen a few months ago, except I was using a video recorder to tape my daughter's choir. Next thing I know, I can barely zoom in and out because my fingers were sticking in one position.

I also have issues with my right thumb always wanting to be kind of curled into my palm, and also I wake up in the middle of the night/morning with my fists clenched tight.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this happen for the first time a few weeks ago.

This after two years of treatment even.

I could not for the life of me hold a pencil and sign my child's homework.

My hand just kind of froze.

Stiff yet not painful.

Scared me though.

Maybe time to hit the Lyme again. [shake]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement